Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For those who think Texas Game isn't important

Started by txkrazorback, February 19, 2008, 10:04:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

drivetimeporks

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2008, 12:04:47 pm
3 questions everyone neds to ask themelves in this issue.

1.  Is beating Texas, IN ANY SEASON, the mark of a good season or not?  Example, say we play texas in 2012, beat them, but go 7-5 overall.  is this still a good season to you because we beat Texas

2.  Do ou think we should schedule Texas at least 6 times a decade?

3.  Will losing to Texas, in any season, short of a NC year, ruin your season, regardless of overall season result?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should probably become a OU fan, that way you can get your shot at Texas every year, and winnin/losing against them means something to your conference title hopes and DIRECTLY affects your shot at the BCS.

dude, maybe YOU oughta change teams..

1)its a better season if we beat texas
2) yes we should do texas and or a& m as non conf games always
c) wont ruin the season but its a nice plus

again.. whats with this board and the  5 star plus crowd deciding who or what we should think, who should be a fan etc..   some are hapy when we play regardless of the outcome ...some are happy being bowl eligible..some it takes a bcs game..some it takes a national championship...

PMP11

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2008, 12:32:59 pm
T\The games against Texas in 2008 and 2009 ARE IMPORTANT, I don't think anyone is arguing that.  However, they should not be seen as any more important than LSU,or Bama, or Aub or any other SEC game.

Ans, on a larger scale, our program can no longer be defined by how we do against a team from a conference that died 20 years ago.  Big time teams get up FOR ALL BIG OOC GAMES.  I get the feeling that many of our fans do not feel that way. 

You know what teams make a bigger deal out of big time ooc games than they do of their own conference games...................teams like A State.  Teams in rat leagues who have no shot at glory other than pulling a huge OOC upset. 

Or teams like USC-W vs Notre Dame............or teams like USC-E vs Clemson............or teams like FSU vs Florida.................or teams like OU vs Texas pre big 12..........but don't let these matchups get in the way of your clever post.  These are all teams from "rat leagues" with "no shot at glory".  Continue on, professor.

txkrazorback

The weakest thread post I know of in the history of Hogville: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=207820.msg3219371#msg3219371

BTW: If you need to remember the rules...http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=rules

toozakpig

Reading this thread is like talking to my nephew, some people simply do not get it. The younger generation's new "hate team' will be ole miss. Arogance is not the right term to use for texas fans. they believe that it is their god-given right to be number one every year whether their defense gives up forty points or not. The younger generation does not know what it feels like to watch games be given to texas, year after year by the refs. You take someone over forty that has followed the hogs, they can tell you within two minutes after a game or any game is started how the ref's will call it. Why because for many years we have received the short end of every call against texass. Beating Texas puts us on the map as far as BSPN is concerned. It is a step forward not a step backwards unlike the former person not to be named. god i simply hate Texas and truly enjoy when their fans are miserable.

txkrazorback

If you don't HATE TEXASS = happy with mediocrity
The weakest thread post I know of in the history of Hogville: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=207820.msg3219371#msg3219371

BTW: If you need to remember the rules...http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=rules

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

drivetimeporks

Quote from: toozakpig on February 19, 2008, 12:42:27 pm
Reading this thread is like talking to my nephew, some people simply do not get it. The younger generation's new "hate team' will be ole miss. Arogance is not the right term to use for texas fans. they believe that it is their god-given right to be number one every year whether their defense gives up forty points or not. The younger generation does not know what it feels like to watch games be given to texas, year after year by the refs. You take someone over forty that has followed the hogs, they can tell you within two minutes after a game or any game is started how the ref's will call it. Why because for many years we have received the short end of every call against texass. Beating Texas puts us on the map as far as BSPN is concerned. It is a step forward not a step backwards unlike the former person not to be named. god i simply hate Texas and truly enjoy when their fans are miserable.

best post in the  topic.. +1

HoopS

Let's all just sit tight and let hogsanity tell us how to feel about all things Hog. 

Dude, if you don't care as much as I do about the game, fine.  I don't understand your need to dictate what in the hell we all think.  You do it everytime this topic comes up.    If I'm hyped up about it, who are you to come piss on my parade?  And why couldn't I also be hyped up for the Bama game, or Auburn, or LSU?  Is there a limit that you are afraid I will surpass?

Do you think they are more excited about the game with us or the Baylor game?

I get excited because if we do beat them, we earn a lot of national respect.  It also tells me we've got a good team.  It also bolsters our OOC SOS and when you dream of bigger things like a BCS game, beating these clowns give us a serious bump.  Not to mention recruiting.   

But by all means, if you think I should get more hyped up about that ULM game or maybe that Western Illnois game, then just say the word.  I wouldn't want to have my own feelings because if I did, somehow it would affect hogsanity. 

txkrazorback

beating Ole Pis$ is like a 12th grader beating up a 4th grader...

hogsanity

Quote from: idiotghos on February 19, 2008, 12:46:52 pm
SEMO?

When we play them, yea.  I want to beat every team we play.  I want to win everyone of those games 100 to absolute nothing.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on February 19, 2008, 12:48:14 pm
Let's all just sit tight and let hogsanity tell us how to feel about all things Hog. 

Dude, if you don't care as much as I do about the game, fine.  I don't understand your need to dictate what in the hell we all think.  You do it everytime this topic comes up.    If I'm hyped up about it, who are you to come piss on my parade?  And why couldn't I also be hyped up for the Bama game, or Auburn, or LSU?  Is there a limit that you are afraid I will surpass?

Do you think they are more excited about the game with us or the Baylor game?

I get excited because if we do beat them, we earn a lot of national respect.  It also tells me we've got a good team.  It also bolsters our OOC SOS and when you dream of bigger things like a BCS game, beating these clowns give us a serious bump.  Not to mention recruiting.  

But by all means, if you think I should get more hyped up about that ULM game or maybe that Western Illnois game, then just say the word.  I wouldn't want to have my own feelings because if I did, somehow it would affect hogsanity. 

As Pel said earler, talking to some of you is pointless.

No where have I said the Texas game is unimportant.  I feel there is an overemphasis on it among some Hog fans. How can an OOC game be more important than a SEC game?  If we go 11-1, and lose to Texas, we will still be in the SECCG with a shot at the bcs.  IF we beat Texas, and go 6-6 or 7-5 we have no shot at anything.  So, you tell me, which games are more important.

Also, yes beating Texas is big on a national scale, no one is denying that either, but so is beating Ohio St, or USC, or V-Tech, or Nd, or any other perinial power.  YEt, Hog fans would not be nearly as stoked to beat one of those teams as they are to JUST PLAY TEXAS.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: toozakpig on February 19, 2008, 12:42:27 pm

Reading this brought back a lot of memories......I need a shot of tequila now, thanks.

On a serious note, rivalries typically don't start until big games, and big disappointments are a part of the equation.  Could you imagine the angst the LSU fans would have if they didn't get to go to the NC game because of the "L" we slapped on them?

Until this happens, beating Texas is right there with beating our conference teams, IMO.

You can't dictate emotion.  You can only control your actions.

I hate Texas.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hogsanity

Quote from: theProdigy on February 19, 2008, 12:53:32 pm
YOu still aren't adressing the issue here.  Beating Texas means getting recruits from Texas means competing for SEC titles means competing for National titles.

The issue is that many teams, especially from states not rich in home grown talent, have gone national in their recruiting.  Yes, we need players from Texas, but the days of us being able to get the players we need from their are long gone.

txkrazorback

LSU thinks of us as a rival. BUT, if they didn't get to go to the BCS NC because of us last year, They would HATE us as a rival.

HoopS

Why do you care if we would rather beat Texas than Virginia Tech?  I didn't say that it is more important than anything, but I won't deny I love beating them.  It seems like that upsets you or something. 

Is it really so important that a certain segment of us are extremely hyped for this?   

Don't mistake that with me hoping the players out this above an S.E.C game.  We are the fans.  It is a game on our schedule that has ties to my upbringing.  It conjures up so many memories.  Yes I am excited about the game. 

I hope the team treats it like any other.

drivetimeporks

Quote from: theProdigy on February 19, 2008, 12:56:20 pm
So you see us losing to Texas and being able to come back the next week and beat Alabama????

Which of these two is more likely?

1.  We beat Texas then beat Alabama
2.  We lose to Texas and go undefeated in SEC play....

Do you see what I am saying?  Texas is almost exaclty like a conference game because it is so closely tied to enabling Arkansas to compete.

amen..

hogsanity

Quote from: theProdigy on February 19, 2008, 12:56:20 pm
So you see us losing to Texas and being able to come back the next week and beat Alabama????

Which of these two is more likely?

1.  We beat Texas then beat Alabama
2.  We lose to Texas and go undefeated in SEC play....

Do you see what I am saying?  Texas is almost exaclty like a conference game because it is so closely tied to enabling Arkansas to compete.

You are confusing 2 issues.  Beating Texas is important because it is a big game right before bama.  It would be just as big of a game if we were playing Ohio St or FS or Mich or another top tier team instead fo Texas.

The other issue is the overall fasciantion with Texas.  These to things are completely separate.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on February 19, 2008, 12:58:55 pm
Why do you care if we would rather beat Texas than Virginia Tech?  I didn't say that it is more important than anything, but I won't deny I love beating them.  It seems like that upsets you or something. 

Is it really so important that a certain segment of us are extremely hyped for this?  

Don't mistake that with me hoping the players out this above an S.E.C game.  We are the fans.  It is a game on our schedule that has ties to my upbringing.  It conjures up so many memories.  Yes I am excited about the game. 

I hope the team treats it like any other.

If our fans want to be seen as big time, and our team as big time, we should treat ANY big ooc game like we do Texas.  The problem is, I dont think that is the case.  We should be excited to schedule any big home and home.

PMP11

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2008, 12:52:29 pm
As Pel said earler, talking to some of you is pointless.

No where have I said the Texas game is unimportant.  I feel there is an overemphasis on it among some Hog fans. How can an OOC game be more important than a SEC game?  If we go 11-1, and lose to Texas, we will still be in the SECCG with a shot at the bcs.  IF we beat Texas, and go 6-6 or 7-5 we have no shot at anything.  So, you tell me, which games are more important.

Also, yes beating Texas is big on a national scale, no one is denying that either, but so is beating Ohio St, or USC, or V-Tech, or Nd, or any other perinial power.  YEt, Hog fans would not be nearly as stoked to beat one of those teams as they are to JUST PLAY TEXAS.

How can you say this.  When was the last time we beat a decent OOC opponent??  I'm waiting.  I think your logic is very skewed.  I do believe most hog fans will always care more about texas than any other OOC team, but to say we would not be more excited to beat a worthy OOC team than just to play texas is just comical.

How excited and insane would fayetteville have been if we would have beat USC-W in '06, I'd say it would have matched the excitement level of a win over texas @ razorback stadium in '05.  Too bad we didn't win either game and will never know.

AnCieNt1

Quote from: txkrazorback on February 19, 2008, 10:59:39 am
And are you saying it's not? what's your spin?
Why don't you call up Chuck at the Foundation and ask him if it's important? Why don't you Call up Horton ad ask him?

This is a Big Game.... I Hate Horns and you should too!

Texass says We are hillbilly's who have relations within our family: THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY SAY BUT WORSE. You're gonna let that go?
LoL i lived in Texas for awhile ..they are ones to be talking about inbreeds and hillbillys ..I saw more 1 tooth wonders in texas than i have ever seen anywhere else.. And as far as the Arkansas vs Texas games,I remember the SWC days and anytime we beat texas is a great day for me, but it just doesnt carry the weight it used too IMO.

HoopS

I would.   I was jacked up for USC!  We all were. 

I will be jacked up for A&M.

I am jacked up for Texas! 

To be big time.  See, when have we ever shown to not be a big time fanbase when playing a good opponent?   Did you go to the USC game?

DeltaBoy

I love the Hogs beating everybody but beating Texa$$ is just extra special.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: theProdigy on February 19, 2008, 01:03:51 pm
Like I said, Arkansas doesn't recruit against Ohio State, Michigan, FS.  They do however recruit against Texas.  Killing two birds with one stone makes Texas a bigger game than a tOSU, UM, or FS.

Everyone recruits in Texas. Look at how many d1 teams have players from Texas on their roster.  We recruit against Bama, LSu, Auburn, OM, MSu, SC, Vandy, Fla, Ga, Tn, and KY......YOU KNOW THE LEAGUE WE PLAY IN.   

drivetimeporks

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2008, 01:03:41 pm
If our fans want to be seen as big time, and our team as big time, we should treat ANY big ooc game like we do Texas.  The problem is, I dont think that is the case.  We should be excited to schedule any big home and home.

its a gut thing with texas ..if u dont get it, u just dont get it

txkrazorback

The Marmot

Quote from: txkrazorback on February 19, 2008, 11:38:48 am

2. It's interesting that you take a personal jab at me as compared to joust on the merits of an argument. If I did that I'd be banned. But, My point is the game is BIG. It is so BIG that if you want to talk about BCS games or NC, if TEXASS is on your schedule you have to go through them to get to the BCS or NC game if they are on your schedule. ALSO, If we are in a "rebuilding" year, why would the game not be as important to recruiting as any other SEC game? Are we not looking at Texas players to come play for the Hogs?

If we lost to TX and we ran the rest of table and won the SEC, we would be in the BCS and possibly the NC.

I love beating TX every chance we get, but IMO you and others place way too much emphasis on it when compared to our conference games. In the big picture, every game we play is important.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

idiotghos

How about this question - if it's a certainty that we won't win the division, would you rather we beat texas than any SEC team?

The Marmot

February 19, 2008, 01:31:05 pm #78 Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 01:32:55 pm by The Marmot
Quote from: theProdigy on February 19, 2008, 01:26:58 pm
People keep saying that, it's true a true statement, but it has no basis in reality.  Beating Texas is important to conference success.  Momentum, recruiting.  It is important. 

Where did I say its NOT important? However, its has no bearing on conference success. TX is not in our conference and therefore does not affect our conference standing.

And the what you quoted or mine is based purely in BCS reality. The SEC Champ either goes to the Sugar Bowl or the NC.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

hoosier

February 19, 2008, 01:31:20 pm #79 Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 01:34:41 pm by hoosier
Quote from: The Marmot on February 19, 2008, 01:23:38 pm
If we lost to TX and we ran the rest of table and won the SEC, we would be in the BCS and possibly the NC.

I love beating TX every chance we get, but IMO you and others place way too much emphasis on it when compared to our conference games. In the big picture, every game we play is important.
Agree 100%.
Which would y'all choose
                    Beat Texas but lose to Bama and finish 11-1 and Bama wins the sec
                      -or-
                    Lose to Texas but finish 11-1 and go undeafeted in the sec.

hogsanity

Quote from: idiotghos on February 19, 2008, 01:29:43 pm
How about this question - if it's a certainty that we won't win the division, would you rather we beat texas than any SEC team?

NO.  SEC is our league. 

elksnort

Quote from: Pel Legs™ on February 19, 2008, 01:37:31 pm
That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.  I don't HATE any team.  Yes, they are one of the teams that I love to beat.  Just like Bama, the Mississippi schools, Tennessee, and others.

I just find it laughable that you can't even see another person's point of view. 

Fresh, polarized thinking is the bane of rationality.

leftymgp

If we beat Texas I think I'll be able to stomach a losing season.

drivetimeporks

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.  I don't HATE any team.  Yes, they are one of the teams that I love to beat.  Just like Bama, the Mississippi schools, Tennessee, and others.

I just find it laughable that you can't even see another person's point of view. 

2 things..
if texas is equal as beating some crap sec team, u dont get it and
2) i thought i said the most ridiculous  thing youd ever seen..o r maybe it was illogical..  whatever mr spock...

The Marmot

Quote from: leftymgp on February 19, 2008, 01:41:12 pm
If we beat Texas I think I'll be able to stomach a losing season.

Thats settling for pure mediocrity right there.....

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

elksnort

Come on folks! I am 42 years old. I have had plenty of heartake due to Texas over the years, but let's not get carried away.

Marmot is right. You don't want to beat Texas and lose the rest of the games. This is silly.

HoopS

Playing Texas takes many of us back a ways.   Some of the best memories.  Some of the worst. 

Yes we have moved on.  Yes I would rather win the conference, if given a choice.  No, I won't be given the hypothetical choice.
I have enough passion in me to get up for all Hog games.  I'm special.  I bounce around.  Maybe even precious.  I love the helmet and strap on 2 chinstraps no matter who we play.  Ive got heart.  I am a fighter and a winner who enjoys fighting and beating Texas. 

Sue me.

hogsanity

Quote from: drivetimeporks on February 19, 2008, 01:43:27 pm
2 things..
if texas is equal as beating some crap sec team, u dont get it and
2) i thought i said the most ridiculous  thing youd ever seen..o r maybe it was illogical..  whatever mr spock...

What you dont seem to get is that we are in the sec.  Beating Texas and losing to crap sec teams gets us nothing.  However, beating all the sec teams, and LOSNG to Texas would still get us into the BCS.  You tell me which is bigger.

idiotghos

February 19, 2008, 01:58:55 pm #88 Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 02:02:07 pm by idiotghos
I can guarantee you that, barring some miracle which puts us into championship contention, fans are going to look back at the texas game as the biggest story of the 2008 season.

EDIT - I guess if nutt says something stupid/provacative before the miss game that might beat it out.

drivetimeporks

txkrazorback

And I feel you should take your own advice about another person's point of view.

I posted that to prove a point. Those who hated mediocrity know what an emotion that brings up within them. That is what We as the fans whom Hate Texas feel. I don't want to say our feelings are stronger than others, but I wanted to draw an analogy...

sooie dog

hogsanity

Quote from: idiotghos on February 19, 2008, 01:58:55 pm
I can guarantee you that, barring some miracle which puts us into championship contention, fans are going to look back at the texas game as the biggest story of the 2008 season.

EDIT - I guess if nutt says something stupid/provacative before the miss game that might beat it out.

Again, one game in 2008, and the overall feeling about playing Texas are 2 different issues.

txkrazorback

btw, if you beat Texass you won't have a losing season with this Coach...

idiotghos

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2008, 02:02:45 pm
Again, one game in 2008, and the overall feeling about playing Texas are 2 different issues.

I was under the impression that this thread was about one game in 2008.

Smokehouse

a couple years from now the A&M game will be much bigger than a game against texass. I hate whatever team we're playing on a given week, and with the exception of a few teams (yes, texass is one of them), I then become a fan of theirs so they can win and make us look better.

But let's gear up to hating A&M as much as we hate UT. If the game gets big it'll be on national TV every year and we'll have a chance to crush some texas ass year in and year out.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

HoopS

Sao Ming

I wonder if we asked a Florida State, Florida or Miami fan to join this debate what they would add.

HoopS

If we are going to accept a win over Texas rather than an S.E.C game.  I keep seeing the question about which one we would take.  I'm just saying that we don't have a choice.  I may want to win the conference more, but what am I going to do about it? 

We show up and cheer like mad no matter who we play.  I've never known us not to.  It's as if we are being told to make a choice here. 
I chose to win them all.  That's my vote.