Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For those who think Texas Game isn't important

Started by txkrazorback, February 19, 2008, 10:04:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

txkrazorback

Texas is going to be ranked in the Top 10-12 when we play them in Austin.
WHEN we take them down.... WPS!!! :razorback:
The weakest thread post I know of in the history of Hogville: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=207820.msg3219371#msg3219371

BTW: If you need to remember the rules...http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=rules

hogsanity

Quote from: txkrazorback on February 19, 2008, 10:04:42 am

Oh #$%^%^**^^^%&*&*%&%*!!!!!!!!!!!       

NO ONE SAID IT IS NOT IMPORTANT!  What some have said is that IT SHOULD BE NO MORE IMPORTANT than a SEC game. 

LEt me ak you this.  If V-tech was ranked in he top 10, and we played them, would you be jacked up for that one?  If not, why? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HogwildinMonroe

Not that Texas is not important, but it is not nearly as important as any SEC game.

The rivalry is one sided these days with Arkansas fans.  Texas fans care far more
about a Big 12 win than they do Arkansas.

idiotghos

Quote from: HogwildinMonroe on February 19, 2008, 10:25:33 am
The rivalry is one sided these days with Arkansas fans.  Texas fans care far more
about a Big 12 win than they do Arkansas.

If fans care about it, that makes it pretty important in my book.

HogwildinMonroe

I never said it was not important. That was said in the first sentence of my response. The one
you failed to put in the quote box, but the game is not nearly as important as ANY SEC game
the Hogs play period.

Would anyone be happy if the Hogs played and beat Texas every year but finished 4-4 in SEC play?
I know I would not.  I would rather lose to the short horns and win an SEC TITLE!!!

HogbyBirth

I would rather play the horns for a national championship.  Only fitting.

txkrazorback

The weakest thread post I know of in the history of Hogville: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=207820.msg3219371#msg3219371

BTW: If you need to remember the rules...http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=rules

Brownie Tuggle

It's Big as the USC Games were a couple of years ago. SEC Games are Bigger. We have a Rivalry with Texas but Texas doesnt see us as a Rivalry. The Texas A & M Game is much bigger for the Longhorns and will forever be thier Rival as is Oklahoma. Arkansas isnt as Big of Game to them anymore. If Va. Tech was coming to Austin they'd be Pumped!!!!!

txkrazorback

February 19, 2008, 10:44:32 am #8 Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:46:26 am by txkrazorback
Quote from: Brownie Tuggle on February 19, 2008, 10:40:19 am
It's Big as the USC Games were a couple of years ago. SEC Games are Bigger. We have a Rivalry with Texas but Texas doesnt see us as a Rivalry. The Texas A & M Game is much bigger for the Longhorns and will forever be thier Rival as is Oklahoma. Arkansas isnt as Big of Game to them anymore. If Va. Tech was coming to Austin they'd be Pumped!!!!!
I totally disagree. Mack Brown will be telling them "Don't you dare let Arkansas beat us in our house!" Brown will be gunning for Coach Petrino. They will try to run the points on us. They may not admit it, but they do HATE us. I GUARANTEE Texas will be just as pumped for Arkansas coming than Va. Tech., probably more. The Big $$$ contributors to their Longhorn Foundation wil NOT let it be taken lightly.

hogsanity

Quote from: txkrazorback on February 19, 2008, 10:44:32 am
I totally disagree. Mack Brown will be telling them "Don't you dare let Arkansas beat us in our house!" Brown will be gunning for Coach Petrino. They will try to run the points on us. They may not admit it, but they do HATE us. I GUARANTEE Texas will be just as pumped for Arkansas coming than Va. Tech., probably more. The Big $$$ contributors to their Longhorn Foundation wil NOT let it be taken lightly.

YEa, and he will say the same thing before every home game.  He will tell them not to let ANYONE beat them in their house. 

And I did not ask how Texas fans would feel about playing V-Tech.  I aksed how YOU would feel if the HOGS were playing a top 10 V-tech team instead of a top 10 Texas team.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

saintchristopher

Quote from: HogbyBirth on February 19, 2008, 10:35:40 am
I would rather play the horns for a national championship.  Only fitting.

The NCAA would find a way to screw us...like TX refs

txkrazorback

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2008, 10:48:47 am
YEa, and he will say the same thing before every home game.  He will tell them not to let ANYONE beat them in their house. 

And I did not ask how Texas fans would feel about playing V-Tech.  I aksed how YOU would feel if the HOGS were playing a top 10 V-tech team instead of a top 10 Texas team.
I'd be up for a Va. Tech game, but honestly, I'll be up more for this game against those stinking horns. I have to live seeing hats and t-shirts with that ugly burnt orange steer every dam% day! give me a break. I hate the Horns!

btw, Braves still suck! Go Cardinals!

idiotghos

February 19, 2008, 10:54:59 am #13 Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:57:13 am by idiotghos
Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2008, 10:48:47 am

I wouldn't care as much as I would for texas.  And, honestly, I'm not going to care as much about any sec game as texas.  I don't remember the swc, I was 4 when we switched, but no football game I've ever watched has topped the ambush for sheer glee.  Not markham, not lsu this year.  Also, winning there will get us lots of national press and shut up a lot of out-of-state detractors who still think the program's dead now that nutt's gone.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2008, 10:21:39 am
Oh #$%^%^**^^^%&*&*%&%*!!!!!!!!!!!      

NO ONE SAID IT IS NOT IMPORTANT!  What some have said is that IT SHOULD BE NO MORE IMPORTANT than a SEC game. 

LEt me ak you this.  If V-tech was ranked in he top 10, and we played them, would you be jacked up for that one?  If not, why? 

Sanity, you and I rarely agree, but well said.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

100+GM HAWG

Well chances are if you're under 30 you don't care. If your over 30, it still matters to you and it always will when the Hogs play Texas.

txkrazorback

February 19, 2008, 10:59:39 am #16 Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 11:02:12 am by txkrazorback
Quote from: Pel Legs™ on February 19, 2008, 10:57:12 am
Exactly.  You live in Texarkana and somehow anyone who doesn't hate Texas as much as you equates to the game being unimportant. 
And are you saying it's not? what's your spin?
Why don't you call up Chuck at the Foundation and ask him if it's important? Why don't you Call up Horton ad ask him?

This is a Big Game.... I Hate Horns and you should too!

Texass says We are hillbilly's who have relations within our family: THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY SAY BUT WORSE. You're gonna let that go?

BrooklynRoss

I thought EVERY game was precious. Or is it every win? I get confused sometimes.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Tripod1

Playing Texas is important, not as important as a conference game though.  On the national scale, beating Texas gives us great exposure as their program is considered in the elite status so therefore it helps us nationally.  Also it helps in recruiting in Texas.  I am an old head and admit, nothing is quite as satisfying as beating Texas, although LSU, UT, Alabama are coming closer each year.

DeltaBoy

February 19, 2008, 11:08:31 am #19 Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 11:15:30 am by DeltaBoy
I live 40 minutes south of Fort Worth Texas where the West Begins they say. I tell them the West begins when you cross Stateline Ave into Texas.  If you don't live in Texas as a UA fan you can not understand the pain of seeing Burnt Orange every day. I was here when Macks boys lucked up and beat the Hogs in Fayetnam when MJ fumbled the ball. I can tell you 1st hand you would have thought they had won the NC down here.  Horn fans like to brag we don't care about Arkansas but if Nutt had went 3-0 on Mack with the losing streak Mack had with OU at the time His butt would have not been around to win the NC a few years ago.  Horn don't care when they are winning but they sure as heck care when we are whipping their 6 for them.

AVOID THE RUSH HATE TEXAS EARLY.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

txkrazorback

February 19, 2008, 11:08:32 am #20 Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 11:10:05 am by txkrazorback
Quote from: Pel Legs™ on February 19, 2008, 11:05:21 am
My thoughts on the matter have been very clear.  If you can't ascertain them by now, you never will. 
I'll be sure to ask the importance of the game tonight and you can watch the responses on the news at 10....

btw, +1 DeltaBoy!

hoosier

I think any conference game is more important than any non-conference game. But, there is no team that gives the fans( at least me) more satisfaction in beating than Texas.

Quote from: saintchristopher on February 19, 2008, 10:52:28 am
texas sux :razorback:

hogsanity

Quote from: idiotghos on February 19, 2008, 10:54:59 am
I wouldn't care as much as I would for texas.  And, honestly, I'm not going to care as much about any sec game as texas.  I don't remember the swc, I was 4 when we switched, but no football game I've ever watched has topped the ambush for sheer glee.  Not markham, not lsu this year. 

So, the most joy you ever got out of a Hog fb game was beating Texas in 2003?  In a season in which we imploded, and, in the end, that win meant nothing.  All i can say is WOW.

drivetimeporks

Quote from: Pel Legs™ on February 19, 2008, 10:22:39 am
You've got an hour to provide a quote of someone who thinks the game isn't important.

how bout any of your comments from monday?  YOU think we old farts  (im 38) are morons for not wanting to beat vandy more than texas... i for one think you cant possibly  be a hog fan and think otherwise...

drivetimeporks

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2008, 11:11:13 am

So, the most joy you ever got out of a Hog fb game was beating Texas in 2003?  In a season in which we imploded, and, in the end, that win meant nothing.  All i can say is WOW.

hey who the hell are u to judge someones favorite hog game?  mine  was us beating OU in the orange bowl..but that was a non conference game so i guess it didnt count..and also its in the past and not this coming year right?  jeez

hogsanity

Quote from: drivetimeporks on February 19, 2008, 11:12:18 am
how bout any of your comments from monday?  YOU think we old farts  (im 38) are morons for not wanting to beat vandy more than texas... i for one think you cant possibly  be a hog fan and think otherwise...

Well, I am 38.  Lived in Ar my whole life.  What i see is just another example of a state that cant see the future because they are looking at the past. 

DeltaBoy

Sanity,  Horn fans were raising cain all year about Mack being 2-0 against NUTT.  When you live in Texas,  beating Texas is the highlite of the year.
When Texa$$ is not on the schedule I don't care as much but when we play those cheating SOB"S I want to beat them as bad a possible!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hogsanity

Quote from: drivetimeporks on February 19, 2008, 11:14:00 am
hey who the hell are u to judge someones favorite hog game?  mine  was us beating OU in the orange bowl..but that was a non conference game so i guess it didnt count..and also its in the past and not this coming year right?  jeez

It was also a Jan1 bowl game, when that actually meant something. 

BorderPatrol

Aren't ALL rivalries about the past?

Quote from: hoosier on February 19, 2008, 11:10:48 am
I think any conference game is more important than any non-conference game.

It is a very good thing our coach does not have this mentality....especially one that is concerned about getting their program in the top ten, year in and year out (eg, Texas). Non Conference games are still part of the schedule, and should be handled the same as Conference games....

bp

idiotghos

February 19, 2008, 11:35:16 am #29 Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 11:38:19 am by idiotghos

Seeing as all I remember is the last couple of Ford's seasons and the nutt era, what game should I have enjoyed more?  The Hogs looked great, we beat a top ten team on the road early in the year, and, for a couple of weeks I thought, as many did nationwide, that we were going to be 11-0 going into Baton Rogue.

Has there been a better moment in the last 12 years after a game?  If the standard is a Jan 1 bowl win, we've got exactly one, against you-know-who.  Maybe tenny '06, when we had a faint glimmer of hope for a national championship 10 games into the season for the first time since being in the SEC. 

Given that we aren't going to win the division next year (it's not impossible, but good luck trying to find someone who says we will), would you really rather we beat south carolina or miss state than the team which would get everyone off our program's back and give us some respect nationwide?  If fans think one game is more important than the others, it probably is.  Fans write the history when it comes to sports.

drivetimeporks

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2008, 11:18:24 am
Well, I am 38.  Lived in Ar my whole life.  What i see is just another example of a state that cant see the future because they are looking at the past. 

the texas games are the only reason we fielded a team for  the 25 years prior to us going to the sec...  ill stand firm on this..beating texas is every bit as important as winning the west or whatever... generally u arent gonna do one without the other anyway

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 19, 2008, 11:19:43 am
Sanity,  Horn fans were raising cain all year about Mack being 2-0 against NUTT.  When you live in Texas,  beating Texas is the highlite of the year.
When Texa$$ is not on the schedule I don't care as much but when we play those cheating SOB"S I want to beat them as bad a possible!

Ok, one thing I am noticing, is this game means so much to those poor souls who find themelves living in Texas. 

txkrazorback

Quote from: Pel Legs™ on February 19, 2008, 11:17:27 am
I don't even know where to begin with you.  Will you do me one favor and just stop and think about what you're saying?

Now, let me amplify this for you.

1.  NO ONE SAYS THE GAME ISN'T IMPORTANT!  For crying out loud, bring in 200 hundred news stations.  You will have proved absolutely nothing as no one in their right mind above the age of 6 disagrees with you as it relates to the title of this thread.

2.  I said this earlier but apparently your reading comprehension has taken a back seat to the little Razorback icons.  If someone doesn't hate Texas as much you, that does not mean they don't view the game as important.

3.  Just for clarity's sake, the game is important.  It's not as important as say winning the SEC. 

1. SOME have (and even in this thread) indicated that the TEXASS game is not important or as important as other games. Think PAYBACK, Recruiting, Beating a ranked team, and kicking on BEVO who talks about your momma in front of your 5 year old children with glee.

2. It's interesting that you take a personal jab at me as compared to joust on the merits of an argument. If I did that I'd be banned. But, My point is the game is BIG. It is so BIG that if you want to talk about BCS games or NC, if TEXASS is on your schedule you have to go through them to get to the BCS or NC game if they are on your schedule. ALSO, If we are in a "rebuilding" year, why would the game not be as important to recruiting as any other SEC game? Are we not looking at Texas players to come play for the Hogs?

3. Beating Texass may not have anything to do with winning the SEC, but if it doesn't matter why did we schedule Texas to play? Why didn't we just pick another puffball team? and are the pufffball games not important too? If not, then why did Ford lose his job when we lost to the Citadel?
Beating Texass is just as important as an SEC game. By beating Texass the SEC teams will say "Arkansas is up for us this year." It's the intimidation factor. It's payback. It's recruiting.

For those whom say some of us are living in the past; Are you not up for the Ole Miss Game? Aren't you living in the past regarding the Nuttster? Texas is more than you realize.

TEXASS SUCKS! I HATE TEXASS! :razorback:

hogsanity

Quote from: BorderPatrol on February 19, 2008, 11:34:29 am
Aren't ALL rivalries about the past?

It is a very good thing our coach does not have this mentality....especially one that is concerned about getting their program in the top ten, year in and year out (eg, Texas). Non Conference games are still part of the schedule, and should be handled the same as Conference games....

bp

What is going to get you to a BCS game?  Winning a bigtime OOC game or winning the SEC?  The odds are much better on getting there via the SECC because that one is automatic.

Again, no one is saying TExas is unimportant.  What some are saying is that, to them it is more important than conference games.  That, imo, is absurd.

idiotghos

February 19, 2008, 11:41:35 am #34 Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 11:45:17 am by idiotghos
Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2008, 11:39:54 am
Again, no one is saying TExas is unimportant.  What some are saying is that, to them it is more important than conference games.  That, imo, is absurd.

You can say that, but what do more fans remember - the '81 thrashing in fayetteville or the '75 SWC championship?

hogsanity

Quote from: idiotghos on February 19, 2008, 11:41:35 am
You can say that, but what sticks out more - the '81 thrashing in fayetteville or the '76 cotton bowl?

To me, the 76 Cotton Bowl.  1st game I really remember watching from start to finish.  Again, it was on Jan 1 when the CB was still big time.  And, being there meant we had won the conference title.  81 Tx game was a great win, no doubt, but, it was also IN CONFERNECE. 

HOGWILD_F4I

Texas fans absolutely disgust at scheduling Arkansas on their OOC schedule..  Its always a chance to ruin the national title hopes of Texas.. early in the season.

No matter if the rivalry is dead or alive, teams should come out to play 100%, whether "out of conference" or not.

DeltaBoy

hogsanity

3 questions everyone neds to ask themelves in this issue.

1.  Is beating Texas, IN ANY SEASON, the mark of a good season or not?  Example, say we play texas in 2012, beat them, but go 7-5 overall.  is this still a good season to you because we beat Texas

2.  Do ou think we should schedule Texas at least 6 times a decade?

3.  Will losing to Texas, in any season, short of a NC year, ruin your season, regardless of overall season result?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should probably become a OU fan, that way you can get your shot at Texas every year, and winnin/losing against them means something to your conference title hopes and DIRECTLY affects your shot at the BCS.

slowride

I think given the players we just lost off of this team that we should be happy to take any win we can get this year be it Texas or our SEC foes.  1 or 2 upsets of ranked teams this coming year would give us something to hang our hat on. 

txkrazorback

Quote from: theProdigy on February 19, 2008, 12:19:38 pm
But think about it, HOW do you get up, in any year, after losing to Texas for a game against Alabama?  That is how it goes, Arkansas loses to Texas and they go into suicide watch.  Texas is important to building upon recruiting in Texas, which is essential, in addition to building the existing team's momentum heading into SEC play.  I don't think Arkansas could LOSE to Texas and get up and go undefeated in SEC play.  Beating Texas is essential to TWO SEC goals, building momentum, and building recruiting classes that can compete in the SEC.
I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY +1

want2be

Texas and A&M are important for rankings and most of all recruiting

If we beat Texas next year in Austin we may be on a roll

txkrazorback

February 19, 2008, 12:24:08 pm #42 Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 12:28:25 pm by txkrazorback
here's the Texass thread

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=5391274&page=5&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Even over on the Texass thread, they point out that a young poster cannot understand the hatred. If we were to go 11-1 and we lost to Texass, it would really really hurt.
If we went 7-5 and beat Texas, I can live with that for Coach Petrino's first year. If we went 5-7 and lost to Texass, it would hurt. If we went 1-11 and lost to Texass, it would really hurt, but that 1 win better be against Ole Pis$...

idiotghos

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2008, 12:04:47 pm
3 questions everyone neds to ask themelves in this issue.

1.  Is beating Texas, IN ANY SEASON, the mark of a good season or not?  Example, say we play texas in 2012, beat them, but go 7-5 overall.  is this still a good season to you because we beat Texas

No, but it's a lot better than 7-5 without beating texas.

El Puerco

kimjongsqUeAl

Quote from: txkrazorback on February 19, 2008, 10:04:42 am

Yes, we will take them down and it will taste sweet!  We shall crush them!
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

txkrazorback

Read all 5 pages of the thread. They're picking up on the Hate... BWAHAHAHA!!!!

I HATE TEXASS!

HoopS

I live in Houston and it is important to me.  It's a big game for them too.  Unless my clients are all liars. 

PMP11

Quote from: hogsanity on February 19, 2008, 11:37:56 am
Ok, one thing I am noticing, is this game means so much to those poor souls who find themelves living in Texas. 

Sorry to bunk your theory, sanity, but I don't live in texas and I hate the horns with a passion and always will.  I'm 32 and was in college when we started our journey in the SEC.  While I'm thrilled to be in the SEC, I just don't have the passionate hate for any team in the SEC that I have for texas.  I'm beginning to feel that way toward a few teams, but the passion is not the same.  Rivalries take time and big wins on both sides (and possibly the bonus of beating down an ex-coach).

I don't understand why people want to downplay the hate for texas.  Yes, we have always cared more than they have, so what.  One of the reasons is b/c they have never considered us an equal, which is one reason I hate them so much.  But believe me, they hate to lose to us.

Also, don't some of you older fans think that the passionate hate we show toward the horns will allow the younger fans to experience what true passion is.  Honestly, what teams have young fans grown up hating the way most of us grew up hating texas.  I think it is a good learning experience for them.

Obviously our SEC record is what is most important, but if you think a win over texas is not important on the national scene, then you are saddly mistaken.

hogsanity

T\The games against Texas in 2008 and 2009 ARE IMPORTANT, I don't think anyone is arguing that.  However, they should not be seen as any more important than LSU,or Bama, or Aub or any other SEC game.

Ans, on a larger scale, our program can no longer be defined by how we do against a team from a conference that died 20 years ago.  Big time teams get up FOR ALL BIG OOC GAMES.  I get the feeling that many of our fans do not feel that way. 

You know what teams make a bigger deal out of big time ooc games than they do of their own conference games...................teams like A State.  Teams in rat leagues who have no shot at glory other than pulling a huge OOC upset.