Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NIT bound

Started by Arazorbackguy1, February 14, 2008, 04:17:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arazorbackguy1

That game last night proved why these seniors will go out with one or two wins in the NIT instead of the NCAA's.

We need 4 games to get to 20 wins and that does not look possible after the pathetic performance last night. 
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

EastMemphisHog

I think we'll still make the tourney..

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 14, 2008, 04:19:31 pm
They will need to turn it up cause the committee does look at their last 10 games, which we are at 2-1 so far.

have got to win at least 1 of the road games: Miss. St. - Alabama- Kentucky- Ole Miss

hogwild32

Little correction....we only need 3 games to win 20.  We're setting at 17-6 after last night.

I think we win atleast 4 ouf ot the last 7 and slide into the tourny.

MF

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on February 14, 2008, 04:17:15 pm
That game last night proved why these seniors will go out with one or two wins in the NIT instead of the NCAA's.

We need 4 games to get to 20 wins and that does not look possible after the pathetic performance last night. 

We are 17-6 after last night with 7 games remaining.  I think we are in even if we lose 2 more.  That would put us at 22-8 before the SEC tourney.  If we lose 3 or more then we may need to help ourselves with a good showing the SEC tourney like we did last year.
"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

BCShogs

If we beat Miss State and take the lead for the West will you be predicting us to go to the Elite Eight? Probably so.

jgphillips3

You should not let the Florida game convince you that we will win the National title nor should you let the Tennessee game convince you that we won't make the NCAA's.  This is not a final four team but it should be a tournament team.  I think we will finish with enough wins to qualify for the tournament after the SEC tournament has been completed. 

We are not a terrific team but we are also not an awful team.  We are a team with a few great athletes and not enough complete (in terms of their all around game) players that is notably deficient at the point guard position.  Don't go on suicide watch and don't start taking those long shot bets on the national title in Vegas.  Just relax and enjoy the fact that our team is going to be better next year and even better than that if Pel keeps recruiting like his hair is on fire.

Tomhog™

It's very realistic that we could go 1-4 including last nights loss for the rest of February.  All tough road games and only LSU at home.  With the way LSU has played, we have a chance of 0-5. 

David†

Until last night the Hogs have been playing pretty stout. Its not easy thing to roll into TN and come out ontop.

Pigonometry

If we just win out at home, we are in easily.  That would give us 20 wins and 9 in the league with wins over VCU, Baylor, Missouri, Miss. St., Florida, Ole Miss, and Vandy. That is enough.......

That said, we need another road win and a SECT win to improve on the seed........
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

jwhite_13

I cannot believe some people! One, i repeat, ONE bad loss and the WHOLE world has come to and end! This is not Stan Heath at the helm, John Pelphrey WILL NOT allow these guys to just fold up! They are seniors and he will demand and he will get the best out of them.  For goodness sakes we played at Tenessee, they are the No. 4 team in the country for a reason! They are really really good! We had a bad second half and they had a great one. It happens sometimes, now we just pick ourselves up and get ready to win the next one!

jgphillips3

Quote from: jwhite_13 on February 14, 2008, 04:48:44 pm
I cannot believe some people! One, i repeat, ONE bad loss and the WHOLE world has come to and end! This is not Stan Heath at the helm, John Pelphrey WILL NOT allow these guys to just fold up! They are seniors and he will demand and he will get the best out of them.  For goodness sakes we played at Tenessee, they are the No. 4 team in the country for a reason! They are really really good! We had a bad second half and they had a great one. It happens sometimes, now we just pick ourselves up and get ready to win the next one!

Exactly.  I don't think Florida fans have folded up tent and we whipped them beginning to end at our home.  Please remember that even our National Championship team had three losses.  Basketball is not football, you are going to lose some games during the season.  We just need to put together at least four more regular season games and at least one tournament and we will be an NCAA team.  I don't see anyway they could keep us out with 22 wins (yes...I know stranger things have happened but odds would be against it).

HamShank

Quote from: BCShogs on February 14, 2008, 04:29:49 pm
If we beat Miss State and take the lead for the West will you be predicting us to go to the Elite Eight? Probably so.

+1.  If people are lobbying for new forums, I propose that Arazorbackguy, Batmanfan, and HoginMemphis get their own "doomsaying/crow-eating forum."  And HoginMemphis will be free to welsh on as many bets as he wants there.

maximus

jg you have made some excellent points.  you have got it down exact my friend.  +1
Describe what Marsellus Wallace looks like!

rcj001

Wow guys, some things never change.  The fans are almost as bad as this basketball team about folding up when the going get's tough.

coach, my back hurts

Well, when we get clobbered on the road and most of us realize that road games are tough and unfair in the SEC, we also realize that we have 4 more.....AND....we realize that all of them are at places we've struggled even during the Nolan era.

I said we should feel fortunate to go 3-5 over the 2nd half.  We'll be fortunate to beat Vandy at home. (i would've said it after we beat Florida) If we dont, we'll be staring at a 19-11 record with having to play for the championship to get to the NCAT. 

I'd say right now, we have a 60-70% chance of playing in the NIT.  If we lose to MSU Sat night, that will go to 70-80%.  If lose even 1 home game, we'll have sewn up our NIT birth.   DAMNIT!!!!!

If you look at the rpi and updated braketology, i'm sure they have us in the tourny.  I'm basing my opinion on what i feel this team has in them.  And thats a 2-6, 3-5 record.  Just sayin.  I HOPE, i swear i do, that i'm wrong.

football-writer

Guys....just remember...we gave Heath five years to get acclimated....Pel has been here less than a year....he deserves the same five....
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

HawgTrough

Good post J_white, we are used to the Heath regime and should not use it to predict how Pelprey rebounds from a road loss.
WPS

BallHog1

You are right as usual. In fact, I think that every year in football and basketball as soon as we lose a game we should just forfeit the remainder of the schedule and practice until the first game the next year. If we can't win every single one of them then we aren't good enough.  (Much Sarcasm here)

For heaven's sake, everyone has to lose one now and then. Sportsmanship would encourage that you try to grow and learn from losses and get better. Its more like real life that way...at least for me as I haven't been 100% successful at every single thing I've ever done. Luckily I learned to handle a setback without quitting somewhere along the way.

jry04

hahahahahahahhahahahaha

I knew people would jump off the wagon, but come on. Learn our record before you speak on the subject. We are 17-6. 17+4=21, not 20. We only need 3 wins to get to 20 wins. Last night proves nothing. If we come out and beat MSU and reclaim the #1 spot on the SEC West you will get on here boasting our 18-6 record, or should I say 17-6 since you think we only have 16 wins.
Quote from: coach, my back hurts on February 14, 2008, 05:13:40 pm
Well, when we get clobbered on the road and most of us realize that road games are tough and unfair in the SEC, we also realize that we have 4 more.....AND....we realize that all of them are at places we've struggled even during the Nolan era.

I said we should feel fortunate to go 3-5 over the 2nd half.  We'll be fortunate to beat Vandy at home. (i would've said it after we beat Florida) If we dont, we'll be staring at a 19-11 record with having to play for the championship to get to the NCAT. 

I'd say right now, we have a 60-70% chance of playing in the NIT.  If we lose to MSU Sat night, that will go to 70-80%.  If lose even 1 home game, we'll have sewn up our NIT birth.   DAMNIT!!!!!

If you look at the rpi and updated braketology, i'm sure they have us in the tourny.  I'm basing my opinion on what i feel this team has in them.  And thats a 2-6, 3-5 record.  Just sayin.  I HOPE, i swear i do, that i'm wrong.
Where do you get your percentages from? We have a better chance of making the NCAAT than we do of making the NIT. It is ridiculous to drop us out of the tournament after one loss. If we win against MSU we could be in the top 25 with a few teams losing. If we are 19-11 when the season ends we would only have to win 2 games, not go to the SECC game.

Hoggy1

Quote from: BCShogs on February 14, 2008, 04:29:49 pm

Amen +1, i see so many flip flops on here i feel like im on a damn trampoline.  3 wins in a row and everyone is riding high on the bandwagon.  1 loss on the road against the #4 team and a final 4 contender and we are a NIT team.....hop on or off but people please make up your damn mind!

That being said i believe Pel will make these guys rebound, and we will be ok.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

DMacIsASaint

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on February 14, 2008, 05:42:18 pm
Amen +1, i see so many flip flops on here i feel like im on a damn trampoline.  3 wins in a row and everyone is riding high on the bandwagon.  1 loss on the road against the #4 team and a final 4 contender and we are a NIT team.....hop on or off but people please make up your damn mind!

That being said i believe Pel will make these guys rebound, and we will be ok.

I agree completely, before last night people were saying we were going to walk into #4 team in the nation's house and beat them like it was just another game. Now we lose, and we are completely butt f***ed for the entire year. They are #4 for a reason, settle down. We are are good team but we are not great because we are not consistent. We will probably go into the tournament around a 9 seed and maybe if we go in at the right time we can pull off a few victories.

Hoggy1

Quote from: DMacIsASaint on February 14, 2008, 05:52:51 pm
I agree completely, before last night people were saying we were going to walk into #4 team in the nation's house and beat them like it was just another game. Now we lose, and we are completely butt f***ed for the entire year. They are #4 for a reason, settle down. We are are good team but we are not great because we are not consistent. We will probably go into the tournament around a 9 seed and maybe if we go in at the right time we can pull off a few victories.

Plus, Heath got these boys up for the SEC tourney last year, I'd love to see what Pel can do come tourney time.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogwild32 on February 14, 2008, 04:23:49 pm
Little correction....we only need 3 games to win 20.  We're setting at 17-6 after last night.

I think we win atleast 4 ouf ot the last 7 and slide into the tourny.

And we also have the SEC tourney. This bunch overachieved last year, don't see why we couldn't this year. We'll make the tourney. Probably a 10 seed or something.
Go away, batin'

311Hog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 14, 2008, 04:33:45 pm
You should not let the Florida game convince you that we will win the National title nor should you let the Tennessee game convince you that we won't make the NCAA's.  This is not a final four team but it should be a tournament team.  I think we will finish with enough wins to qualify for the tournament after the SEC tournament has been completed. 

We are not a terrific team but we are also not an awful team.  We are a team with a few great athletes and not enough complete (in terms of their all around game) players that is notably deficient at the point guard position.  Don't go on suicide watch and don't start taking those long shot bets on the national title in Vegas.  Just relax and enjoy the fact that our team is going to be better next year and even better than that if Pel keeps recruiting like his hair is on fire.

I said this to my friend last night, the hogs worry me because we can beat any team in the nation. but we can also lose to any team in the nation as well.

I am pretty sure we make the tourny, winning a game or two there is what i hope at least happens.

mhuff

We lose one game and all the pessimists come out in all their glory.     All you pessimists- put your hands on your heads and slowly(quickly)
back away.

parrishw

Horse s**t

We got a lot of basketball left and Pel and his boys, and it is significant that they are now 'his boys', have been getting better and better.

They have been playing NCAA tourney level defense for the last several games but they were due to have an off night. Be glad it happened against a TN instead of a LSU.

At least the loss even has some credibility.

TN is a great team but the fact is that if you get past all the BS the officials created we can play with them.

Any coach that looks at that game tape will not look past the Hogs.

Our boys had a very strong dose of life on the road in the SEC and you can bet Pel is telling them all about it and coaching them to handle it better next time. A little humility at this stage of the season can be a good thing. At least now they understand it will not be a cake walk.

The game in Starkville will be a battle cause the Hogs are going to be coming in with a monkey on their back.

Win or lose it is SEC basketball and their ain't nothin' like it.  I sure do like being this deep in the season and even discussing which tourney we will be watching instead of knowing it will be none at all.

Siccum Hogs and don't look behind you..............keep your eye on the prize

TRUHOG718

So I guess the 4 games before that proved we are a lock to make the Elite Eight. This thread is just plain stupid. I would expect more from someone with a 1000 plus posts. No offense just calling a spade a spade.  Check our RPI.  29 at time of this post.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

chog68

Tenn is #1 in the RPI rankings folks and with good reason-they are a really good and excellent coached BB team-maybe a final four team. I'm lookin' foward to watching them play Memphis. Their lackluster performance against LSU on the road was the worst thing that could have happened just before we had to go to Knoxville to play them. Coach Pearl really got their attention and it showed last night.

We have the toughest part of our SEC schedule in our last 10 games that the TC places so much emphasis on. We can still make the NCAA's and have a pretty decent shot IMHO. We HAVE to take care of business at home-Vandy will be tough, even in BWA. Lose that one(we should beat LSU and Auburn at home) then we have to win 2(if not 3) of the 4 remaining road games which is doable. A couple of wins in the SEC tourney should get us in unless we just totally flop over our last 7 games.

MDH

This team will go to the tournament.  They got beat by one of the best teams in the country last night.  The officiating was crap- it was not why we lost the game, but it was still crap.  They are a good team, not a great team and maybe not (depending on which team shows up) good enough to get out of the first round.  But they will go dancing- period.  Book it, write it down, take it to the bank and whatever other cliche you want to pile on there.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

bythelake

The way I see it, our shooting from the 3 pt line and free throw line can't continue to be as bad as it has been.  The odds are in our favor that our guards are going to turn it on and we will win at least half of remaining games.  I have a positive attitude tonight. 

Hog Pharm

Since 1992 every team except for one that finished with at least 10 wins in conference has gone to the tourney.

hview

We'll make the big dance, just relax. I'm confident this team will rebound.

Ironhawg

The only thing the Tennessee game convinced me of is how far our talent level has fallen since the mid 90s.  We were outclassed by UTs talent.

Boss Hogg

February 14, 2008, 08:29:03 pm #35 Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 08:36:24 pm by Boss Hogg
We'll make it to the tourney.  Down 5 at half...after shooting ourselves in the foot...then got run out in the 2nd half...oh...and wasn't that against the 4th ranked team in the nation?

We're still ok and will be 1st in the west after saturday if we win.

40MINSOFHELL

the talent is coming, just keep hanging in there guys..all your worries are almost over :D

reddogjcss

I predict we make it to the second round of the big dance.

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: reddogjcss on February 14, 2008, 10:18:18 pm
I predict we make it to the second round of the big dance.

this year??

reddogjcss

40MINSOFHELL

i believe we can as well

Dwight_K_Shrute

We hung with them for a half could have been tied even.  We went cold in the second half and the refs sucked.  Big damn deal.  It was one game.  Even if we lose the next one, big damn deal.  These guys were down and supposedly out after losting to UGA and SC, and then reeled off 4 great wins.  This is Pearl's 3rd year at TN and he was at home. 

Last night's game is no reason to bash the team or call them NIT worthy etc.  They had a bad game against a very good team.  Get over it.  I'm tired of the bull$hit after one damn loss.  I was pissed that we lost but that was yesterday. 

There is a lot of basketball left and we are still in a great position to finish first or second in the division.  Yeah lets start getting down on the guys and show them how much we appreciate their last 4 years here that will really rally the troops.  These guys had to play for android war face for 3 gd years.  There is still some Stan Heath in them.  Pel has gradually gotten most of it out.  But they are still Hogs, and good kids, and have played hard and good for the vast majority of the year.

Hogville needs an NIT version of the board to send bull$hit threads or posters to. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 14, 2008, 10:53:41 pm
We hung with them for a half could have been tied even.  We went cold in the second half and the refs sucked.  Big damn deal.  It was one game.  Even if we lose the next one, big damn deal.  These guys were down and supposedly out after losting to UGA and SC, and then reeled off 4 great wins.  This is Pearl's 3rd year at TN and he was at home. 

Last night's game is no reason to bash the team or call them NIT worthy etc.  They had a bad game against a very good team.  Get over it.  I'm tired of the bull$hit after one damn loss.  I was pissed that we lost but that was yesterday. 

There is a lot of basketball left and we are still in a great position to finish first or second in the division.  Yeah lets start getting down on the guys and show them how much we appreciate their last 4 years here that will really rally the troops.  These guys had to play for android war face for 3 gd years.  There is still some Stan Heath in them.  Pel has gradually gotten most of it out.  But they are still Hogs, and good kids, and have played hard and good for the vast majority of the year.

Hogville needs an NIT version of the board to send bull$hit threads or posters to. 

+1 to ya

BigHog396

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 14, 2008, 04:19:31 pm
They will need to turn it up cause the committee does look at their last 10 games, which we are at 2-1 so far.
Actually, the committee has said they will look very hard at the last TWELVE games.  We are already 4-1 in what will be the last 12 games prior to the SEC Tourney.

Dugann

we will make the ncaa tourny we will win 20-22 games or more.  bank on it.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

yraciv

It is humorous how quick fans can go from this team looks great and good enough to win some ncaa games to 1 or 2 NIT wins.  This happens after every loss, and I'm sure if we beat MS State, people will be singing the Hogs's praises again.  Maybe we just played a Top 5 team in the nation on a week night, on the road in the SEC.  Oh wait, we did.  Tennessee is good, we came out flat, and we're not very consistent.  That doesn't mean we're not an NCAA team now.

chiefsfan

I said before the season we would lose twice at home,   and beat Kentucky Bama LSU and Auburn on the road

I still stand by that prediction.   Which gets us 10 conference wins.   Remember, No SEC team with 10 conference wins has ever been denied an NCAA berth
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Hollywood_HOGan45

it was one loss to a potential #1 seed on the road.
We only need 3 to get to 20.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on February 14, 2008, 05:13:40 pm

I'd say right now, we have a 60-70% chance of playing in the NIT.  If we lose to MSU Sat night, that will go to 70-80%.  If lose even 1 home game, we'll have sewn up our NIT birth.   DAMNIT!!!!!

so we lose one game to the #4 team in the nation and we're all the sudden destined for the NIT?
Interesting.

hillhog

Another factor in our favor, IMO, is that I think the selection committee will recognize that we now have coach Pel and not coach Heath. Quite a difference.