Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

On the officiating...

Started by The Realist, February 13, 2008, 10:35:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Realist

It was freaking awful both ways.
As the game wore on, the fouls went more and more towards Tennessee. 
One official would not call anything and the next time someone touched anyone, the white haired official would call it.  The technical foul was influenced by the crowd.  The ref made a big show out of it, taking all the time in the world right in front of Pel as the crowd begged for it. 
It is clear that refs now a days have NO CLUE what a charge is and a block is.  Michael Washington's foul at the beginning of the half, is not a charge.  It's either a no call or a charge.  It can't be a block when your staying in the same place for 3 seconds.  Charles Thomas play, Bryan Williams was still moving on the play obvious. 
Last 10 minutes I had Tennessee fans, the ones who actually knew the difference, telling me how bad it was that they are refusing to call any fouls for us even when its obvious...The over the back no call with about 6 minutes to go comes to mind. 
Referees now are way to influenced by the crowd and players.  There needs to be some review system for referees so they are held accountable for awful officiating like this.  This is the 2nd UT game the white haired official has done.  The last one he totally lost control of the  game with Florida and it was a complete mess.
That being said....refs can call as many fouls as they want, but it wont matter one damn bit if we can't hit free throws. 
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

IronHog

Quote from: The Realist on February 13, 2008, 10:35:54 pm
One official would not call anything and the next time someone touched anyone, the white haired official would call it.  The technical foul was influenced by the crowd.  The ref made a big show out of it, taking all the time in the world right in front of Pel as the crowd begged for it. 
It is clear that refs now a days have NO CLUE what a charge is and a block is.  Michael Washington's foul at the beginning of the half, is not a charge.  It's either a no call or a charge.  It can't be a block when your staying in the same place for 3 seconds.  Charles Thomas play, Bryan Williams was still moving on the play obvious. 
Last 10 minutes I had Tennessee fans, the ones who actually knew the difference, telling me how bad it was that they are refusing to call any fouls for us even when its obvious...The over the back no call with about 6 minutes to go comes to mind. 
Referees now are way to influenced by the crowd and players.  There needs to be some review system for referees so they are held accountable for awful officiating like this.  This is the 2nd UT game the white haired official has done.  The last one he totally lost control of the  game with Florida and it was a complete mess.
That being said....refs can call as many fouls as they want, but it wont matter one damn bit if we can't hit free throws. 

College basketball is just a shell of its former self anyway.

Little overall skill left in the game.  Tenn can shoot a little so they dominate.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Newcoachplease

You didnt even mention the continuation shot on the foul by beverly. Pathetic. Hell we could foul them at half court and they would count the basket.

And on the washington foul, we already had the rebound and breaking when they blew the whistle.

Marshfieldhog

That SEC crew was horrible, will the real white haired devel stand up.

jsimpso3

Quote from: IronHog on February 13, 2008, 10:37:32 pm
College basketball is just a shell of its former self anyway.

Little overall skill left in the game.  Tenn can shoot a little so they dominate.

you are absolutely right

100+GM HAWG

The charge/blocking foul is so out of control. Guys flop in every game you watch. Guys slide under guys in the air and get the call. It's terrible! This call really bothers me. It's really gotten bad in the last 5-7 years. If the guys feet are not set it's a blocking foul. If a guy jumps in the air and a guy move under him, it's a blocking foul. But you see the ref run out and make sure everyone is looking at them and give this dramatic charge call. It's a joke! I mean c'mon, really, am I the only guy that notices all these flops????

hawgfan80

Quote from: Newcoachplease on February 13, 2008, 10:38:05 pm
You didnt even mention the continuation shot on the foul by beverly. Pathetic. Hell we could foul them at half court and they would count the basket.

And on the washington foul, we already had the rebound and breaking when they blew the whistle.

Yes, that block call on Beverley where they gave the continuation was awful. Smith hadn't even begun his spin when the foul happened.

DaveV

The SEC needs to get some new refs. It's unreal.

Not just tonight, not just our team, but every team in the SEC seems to get the majority of calls at home, like the refs are 12 and scared to get boo'd or somethin.

You watch another conf game or March Madness then watch an SEC game and it's mind blowing honestly.

Ah in times like there I kick back, grab a few beers, and pop in my '94 season VHS tape and enjoy the highlights of a great season and a great finish.

hogfanincville

February 14, 2008, 12:32:27 am #8 Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 12:35:28 am by hogfanincville
On flops and dives.

For those of you who haven't seen this (disclaimer: I do not claim to be the first person to post this on Hogville or anywhere else. Further, I am willing to give all the props, kudos, thumbs up, and "nice link" nods to whomever it was who originally posted this. You are clearly a much more valuable poster than I am. And I am scum for even posting it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeuuS2HiYEM

My favorite is number six. At least most of these were called correctly. I seriously wonder if basketball shouldn't institute an "unsportsmanlike" call for ridiculous flops a la futbol.

igotdatwood

wow, the duke players falling over after being grazed on the three point shots is laughable.  and i loved the no call on duke leaning in and the clemson player flopping and on the next possesion the refs calls clemson for the charge on the exact same situation. 

as for our game, it seemed like the game completely changed on that atrocious blocking foul by Washington.  the refs were to much apart of this game, and that is my only beef, because there were bad calls both ways, i just hate it when the refs control the game.   

DMacIsASaint

I am not sure really why everyone is talking about the refs so much. We just got outplayed. We had our chance end of the first half when UT was  having trouble getting anything going, yet we did just as bad. You could say the refs constant foul calling partly caused both teams to not really  get in ryhthm, but i still think we should have taken advantage of those last several minutes of the first half. They got their act together second half and we were the same sloppy team we were the first half.

Pig_Lebowski

BLOWN OUT.................Cry all freakin Day.

Tripod1

Half time score was what UT 43 UA 38?  Start of the second half the Hogs go 2 for 17 and end up down almost 20!!!  WOW, did not know refs could cause such poor shooting!!  Face it, our seniors are way overhyped and we are mid pack at best.  Give Coach P time to get his players in here and his system running and let's see how things go.

WADHOG

Quote from: Tripod1 on February 14, 2008, 08:07:42 am
Half time score was what UT 43 UA 38?  Start of the second half the Hogs go 2 for 17 and end up down almost 20!!!  WOW, did not know refs could cause such poor shooting!!  Face it, our seniors are way overhyped and we are mid pack at best.  Give Coach P time to get his players in here and his system running and let's see how things go.
I don't think anyone has ever really "hyped" these seniors up.  Look, we had a terrible game and got blown out.  These players weren't "overhyped" when we blew out LSU, MS State, and Florida.  We will bounce back, because Pelphrey won't accept anything less.

Hollywood_HOGan45

some people want to make it out like UA fans are blaming the loss on the officials.

Look morons, we're not blaming the outcome on the officials. UT has a very good team. They are just on another level from the SEC. And we STILL cannot win on the road. We played terrible, UT played pretty well.

But the officials were still just awful. Like Realist said, they were bad both ways but the refs got into the crowd in the second half and started giving UT just about every call.

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Hogginitall

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 14, 2008, 09:08:37 am
some people want to make it out like UA fans are blaming the loss on the officials.

Look morons, we're not blaming the outcome on the officials. UT has a very good team. They are just on another level from the SEC. And we STILL cannot win on the road. We played terrible, UT played pretty well.

But the officials were still just awful. Like Realist said, they were bad both ways but the refs got into the crowd in the second half and started giving UT just about every call.

It's like talking to a wall.  They'll still see that as blaming the refs somehow.  I've made it as clear as possible that I don't think the refs won the game for Tennessee.  I just think they helped make the outcome more lopsided than it should've been.

We played horrible and Tennessee played well.  They shot free throws better than they have all year, I would assume, and we had one of our worst outings from the line.  Smith couldn't miss a 3, and our players couldn't buy one.  There were many factors that contributed to the 22-point loss.  The officials just happen to be one of those factors.

311Hog

i am not saying we lost because of the refs, i am saying we got blown out because of the refs.  They would not allow the Hogs to play any sort of defense without blowing the whistle. So they finally gave up. Personally i would have walked off the court after the Beverly "block" and continuation call, it was obvious to me that we were not going to get a fairly called game, or one that is even remotely close to fair. I mean shiet they called a blocking foul on Washington as he was laying on his back and the break had already started, after he drew a charge but it wasnt called.

Honestly i was disgusted with the officiating they must pay these guys min. wage because they are horrible, and have been horrible for some time. I think it is about time the NCAA invested in some ref training or replay or something.  The crowd is basically making the calls, if the crowd boos the whistle blows.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

eathill5

Quote from: Pig_Lebowski on February 14, 2008, 02:18:47 am
BLOWN OUT.................Cry all freakin Day.

You are a damn idiot.  I go through these threads and everytime I see your ignorant ass avatar I know that something absolutely stupid is about to be said.  All you do is bash the hogs and you don't even do that well.  You post the same ignorant thing on every thread everybody gets it they got blown out, we also get that you are not intelligent enough to be able to post something meaningful so you will just be a jackass and say the same thing over and over.  Obviously never heard the phrase let everyone around you think you are stupid or open your mouth and remove all doubt.  Well guess what?  There is no damn doubt about it.  Learn how to say something that has at least a little substance to it or lose your laptop. Go sing rockytop with your uncle/dad/cousin,  hell I don't know which he is but at least he is a male role model for you.
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

pfrg999

Quote from: eathill5 on February 14, 2008, 09:45:00 am
You are a damn idiot.  I go through these threads and everytime I see your ignorant ass avatar I know that something absolutely stupid is about to be said.  All you do is bash the hogs and you don't even do that well.  You post the same ignorant thing on every thread everybody gets it they got blown out, we also get that you are not intelligent enough to be able to post something meaningful so you will just be a jackass and say the same thing over and over.  Obviously never heard the phrase let everyone around you think you are stupid or open your mouth and remove all doubt.  Well guess what?  There is no damn doubt about it.  Learn how to say something that has at least a little substance to it or lose your laptop. Go sing rockytop with your uncle/dad/cousin,  hell I don't know which he is but at least he is a male role model for you.
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

ke2743

We did get blown out last night.  And the refs couldn't have changed that.  But instead of being schmucks they could have called it fair both ways.  On another note, speaking of college basketball in general, it seems to me to have turned into more of an acting gig.  So many fouls are called by players getting grazed or barely touched and they over sell it.  We do it to, I'm not saying its everyone but Arkansas, but hell, its sad when you can tell they are acting on tv and the refs can't tell they are faking it in real life..

311Hog

yes the refs could have changed that.  Hogs gave up after they were demoralized by the REFS.  i can understand being demoralized by your opponent but you shouldnt expect the refs to totally force you out of your game.  We couldnt play defense.

Calvin N Hawgs

The one "no call" that sticks out in my mind was when Welsh was at the top of the key and (no kidding) changed his pivot foot TWICE (not just once) I mean he must have taken 5 steps, the crowd was all over it, but I suppose the refs didn't see it!

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

The worst called game I have seen in years, no doubt.  When you wait to see if the shot goes in or out, and then call a block, that's just absolutely ridiculous.  Did Pelphrey even address the refs in his comments?  I would have been tossed in the first half.

DizzyHawgFan

Quote from: Calvin N Hawgs on February 14, 2008, 10:17:15 am
The one "no call" that sticks out in my mind was when Welsh was at the top of the key and (no kidding) changed his pivot foot TWICE (not just once) I mean he must have taken 5 steps, the crowd was all over it, but I suppose the refs didn't see it!

Maybe not 5 steps, but yeah he obviously walked.

parrishw

I saw bad calls on both sides but the thing that really stands out was that the game became about the refs and not the teams.

Too many calls made for touch fouls and then no calls when there were legitimate fouls.

As far as the tendency to call a player control foul too often.

A player control foul is, IMHO, an award to the defensive player for a superior defensive effort.

Good foot work and quickness on defense will result in the defensive player being in position to force an altered shot or a last second redirection on the part of the offensive player causing them to be out of control of their own momentum and the play.

The main problem I had with the officiating last night was that , the Hogs have been playing great defense without getting into foul trouble.

I did not see a great deal of difference in the defensive effort last night when compared to the other recent games.

So why did our boys end up in foul trouble on the same floor, with the same refs that TN did not?

And for any of you that want to start telling me that I do not understand the game don't waste your time. I called basketball as an official and I guarantee you I did not have any complaints. I was fair and I was in shape and got up and down the floor fast enough to see what was going on and I call it like I see it. No favoritism no matter who is playing even though I love the Hogs.

I watched last nights game on the TV and I could have called it better from my easy chair in Fayetteville than those idiots.

Tennessee is a great team but we have the talent to play with them on a truly neutral floor.

Hogginitall

Quote from: parrishw on February 14, 2008, 10:51:32 am
I saw bad calls on both sides but the thing that really stands out was that the game became about the refs and not the teams.

Too many calls made for touch fouls and then no calls when there were legitimate fouls.

As far as the tendency to call a player control foul too often.

A player control foul is, IMHO, an award to the defensive player for a superior defensive effort.

Good foot work and quickness on defense will result in the defensive player being in position to force an altered shot or a last second redirection on the part of the offensive player causing them to be out of control of their own momentum and the play.

The main problem I had with the officiating last night was that , the Hogs have been playing great defense without getting into foul trouble.

I did not see a great deal of difference in the defensive effort last night when compared to the other recent games.

So why did our boys end up in foul trouble on the same floor, with the same refs that TN did not?

And for any of you that want to start telling me that I do not understand the game don't waste your time. I called basketball as an official and I guarantee you I did not have any complaints. I was fair and I was in shape and got up and down the floor fast enough to see what was going on and I call it like I see it. No favoritism no matter who is playing even though I love the Hogs.

I watched last nights game on the TV and I could have called it better from my easy chair in Fayetteville than those idiots.

Tennessee is a great team but we have the talent to play with them on a truly neutral floor.

Well said.  +1

Dropkick

The officials were terrible just like they always are. But that incompetent trio of clowns didn't cost us the game. We did not step up. Hopefully we will on our next try.

Pigsknuckles

You are a damn idiot.  I go through these threads and everytime I see your ignorant ass avatar I know that something absolutely stupid is about to be said.  All you do is bash the hogs and you don't even do that well.  You post the same ignorant thing on every thread everybody gets it they got blown out, we also get that you are not intelligent enough to be able to post something meaningful so you will just be a jackass and say the same thing over and over.  Obviously never heard the phrase let everyone around you think you are stupid or open your mouth and remove all doubt.  Well guess what?  There is no damn doubt about it.  Learn how to say something that has at least a little substance to it or lose your laptop. Go sing rockytop with your uncle/dad/cousin,  hell I don't know which he is but at least he is a male role model for you.
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=206020.msg3179877#msg3179877
Seems that you were the one singing "Cry Me A River" to the Kentucky fans after their spanking by Vandy. Ever heard of decaff? Refs or no refs, we just got our head handed to us.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

bigfan

It appeared obvious to me that the officiating crew didn't want the "Jewel of the SEC" to get beat, or even have a close game.  They were making sure TN won to keep them highly rated in the national ratings.  The  League Office should review the game and pass out fines or reprimands for all three of those guys, they were awful!!

Pig_Lebowski

Finally, after all my baiting, I have found the one true genius on this board.  Now I can concentrate all my energy towards you, Pollyanna, defender of 21 point blowouts on the road.  With 7 Seniors.  One who mailed in an airball freethrow.

As far as Rocky Top goes, if you had to live here, and subject yourself to the humiliation produced by the weak efforts of not only the Basketball team, and Houston Nutt's embarrassing game plan, maybe you would be a bit bitter.  Enjoy the next ass throttle in Stankpatch.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Dropkick on February 14, 2008, 10:58:59 am
The officials were terrible just like they always are. But that incompetent trio of clowns didn't cost us the game. We did not step up. Hopefully we will on our next try.

They didn't?  We've been in here since last night claiming that the refs are what lost us that game.  I guess you're right.  Now that I think of it, the refs didn't cost us the game.  Thanks for clearing that up for me. (sarcasm alert)

hawgnutts

Hhopefully will be a different story on neutral court in Atlanta with the "best "  officals the SEC has to offer. How about the foul on TEnn big guy under the basket should have been a pack instead they anticipated the foul at least we got one bad call our way.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Hogginitall on February 14, 2008, 09:38:43 am
It's like talking to a wall.  They'll still see that as blaming the refs somehow.  I've made it as clear as possible that I don't think the refs won the game for Tennessee.  I just think they helped make the outcome more lopsided than it should've been.

We played horrible and Tennessee played well.  They shot free throws better than they have all year, I would assume, and we had one of our worst outings from the line.  Smith couldn't miss a 3, and our players couldn't buy one.  There were many factors that contributed to the 22-point loss.  The officials just happen to be one of those factors.

i agree

Hogginitall

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 14, 2008, 11:53:53 am
i agree

Look at this:

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 14, 2008, 12:03:04 pm
I don't know why people are ****ing about last nights officiating.  That is certainly not what cost us the game.

In another thread, just 2 minutes ago.  Crazy...

eathill5

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on February 14, 2008, 11:00:09 am
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=206020.msg3179877#msg3179877
Seems that you were the one singing "Cry Me A River" to the Kentucky fans after their spanking by Vandy. Ever heard of decaff? Refs or no refs, we just got our head handed to us.

This doesn't have a thing to do with us getting beat if you could read I said myself we got blown out.  That is not what I have the issue with.  I have an issue with this idiot who bashes the hogs over and over and doesn't have anything worthwhile to say ever. I didn't have an issue with the outcome or the officiating. We got drilled this guy is just an jackass about it.
Get over it.

eathill5

Quote from: Pig_Lebowski on February 14, 2008, 11:24:54 am

Finally, after all my baiting, I have found the one true genius on this board.  Now I can concentrate all my energy towards you, Pollyanna, defender of 21 point blowouts on the road.  With 7 Seniors.  One who mailed in an airball freethrow.

As far as Rocky Top goes, if you had to live here, and subject yourself to the humiliation produced by the weak efforts of not only the Basketball team, and Houston Nutt's embarrassing game plan, maybe you would be a bit bitter.  Enjoy the next ass throttle in Stankpatch.

and to your ignorant ass.  I am not defending the loss just stating my hatred for you. 
Get over it.

31to6

Quote from: parrishw on February 14, 2008, 10:51:32 am

Absolutely! If the game were being called consistently tight, the players and coaches would have adjusted. The problem was that the play-calling was neither consistently loose or tight--it really seemed like they made calls with very little rhyme or reasons giving the players no ability to acclimate. Made the game unwatchable.

jkstock04

February 14, 2008, 12:58:36 pm #39 Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:05:39 pm by jkstock04
Quote from: The Realist on February 13, 2008, 10:35:54 pm
I agree.  No way we were gonna win this game even if the officiating would have been slanted our way 100%...but it was absolutley awful both ways.  My buddy dvr'd it, and when he went back and looked at some of it he said it was the worst officiating he'd ever seen on both sides of the ball.

I'll never forget seeing Darian Townes going down the court, picking the ball up and running it like a football going for the layup....and they call a foul instead of a walk!!!  LMFAO!!!  He musta took 5 or 6 running steps and got away with it.  Hilarious.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

The ignorance of some people in this thread astounds me.  Nobody in this thread is blaming the refs on why we lost the game.  Reading and comprehension is something that is taught in elementary school.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Dropkick

Quote from: Hogginitall on February 14, 2008, 11:43:21 am
They didn't?  We've been in here since last night claiming that the refs are what lost us that game.  I guess you're right.  Now that I think of it, the refs didn't cost us the game.  Thanks for clearing that up for me. (sarcasm alert)
Anytime your majesty!

Dropkick

Quote from: bigfan on February 14, 2008, 11:02:52 am
It appeared obvious to me that the officiating crew didn't want the "Jewel of the SEC" to get beat, or even have a close game.  They were making sure TN won to keep them highly rated in the national ratings.  The  League Office should review the game and pass out fines or reprimands for all three of those guys, they were awful!!
Quote from: jkstock04 on February 14, 2008, 01:04:52 pm
The ignorance of some people in this thread astounds me.  Nobody in this thread is blaming the refs on why we lost the game.  Reading and comprehension is something that is taught in elementary school.
You sure about that dumb@ss.

Dropkick

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 14, 2008, 01:04:52 pm
Maybe you should enroll.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Dropkick on February 14, 2008, 01:23:02 pm
You sure about that dumb@ss.

Show me one person, dumb@ss.  If you find one person that said we lost this game because of the refs, I'll shut up.

Dropkick

Quote from: bigfan on February 14, 2008, 11:02:52 am
I'll try this once more for you.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Dropkick on February 14, 2008, 01:33:15 pm
I'll try this once more for you.

Where did he say that Arkansas would've won if the officiating wasn't as bad?  If he said, "it appeared obvious to me that the officiating crew kept Tennessee from getting beat", you might have a point.  But, he said that it appeared that the officiating crew didn't want Tennessee to lose.  And it did appear that way.

Arkansas got beat.  Tennessee played well and Arkansas played poorly.  It should've been a much closer game, even though Arkansas didn't play very well.  But, the refs kept that from happening.

Dropkick

You are hopeless. Are you in politics by any chance?

Hogginitall

Hogginitall

February 14, 2008, 01:54:03 pm #49 Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:56:00 pm by Hogginitall
I don't even know why I'm trying to argue this anymore with some of you guys.  I, and many others, have made it crystal clear that we don't think the refs lost us the game.  We've given many other reasons why we lost the game, besides the refs.  But, some of you guys are a little too dense to figure out that we're not blaming the refs for the loss.  All I'm saying is that the refs contributed to how lopsided the final score was in Tennessee's favor.  I do not think we could've won the game last night.  Tennessee played too well and Arkansas played too poorly.  I just think it could've been a "quality road loss" in the eyes of the NCAAT committee, instead of a complete blow-out that nobody will give us any credit for, simply because of the final score.  It should've been a 6-12 point loss, instead of 22.  If the refs were consistent on both ends, the score would've been quite a bit closer, in my opinion.