Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

+1 Question

Started by mju23, February 11, 2008, 11:52:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mju23

I have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks and have really been impressed with the content.  One thing that I haven't liked is when people respond to a post with a comment like "nice find +1".  I don't see the point of needing to announce that you have given someone applause unless you are brown-nosing in an effort to get applause back.  For those of you that do that, what is the point?  Also, if that questions offends you, please let me know with a response of ten words or less and a -1.

Zen_Hog

I don't get it either. I don't even use the Karma system. If I appreciate what I read then if I'm not lazy I'll give em kudos.

bcshog

Quote from: mju23 on February 11, 2008, 11:52:04 pm
I have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks and have really been impressed with the content.  One thing that I haven't liked is when people respond to a post with a comment like "nice find +1".  I don't see the point of needing to announce that you have given someone applause unless you are brown-nosing in an effort to get applause back.  For those of you that do that, what is the point?  Also, if that questions offends you, please let me know with a response of ten words or less and a -1.
+1 for raising the question lmao

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Rooka

I dont call it brown nosing exactly, ill scratch your back if you scratch mine  :) But seriously I never really use it unless it is in the Krew Thread or sometimes I will say it, just more of a joke than anything.

Old Tusk

Meaningless responses are a good way to build a post count which some here feel is important.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Grateful Red

Quote from: Death by Hog on February 12, 2008, 12:26:36 am
ill scratch your back if you scratch mine
Funny thing about my back is...

bcshog

HoggusMaximus

-1 Geez just get over it..... they might be brown nosing they might not who cares?  :P

Rooka

moley_russells_wart_hog

since they dont allow boobs in the tavern any more thats the only way we can get karma

Darren McChadden

Quote from: Death by Hog on February 12, 2008, 12:57:19 am
*scratch scratch*  ;)

+1!

if you knew how that quote finished, i promise you, you would not be saying *scratch scratch*...much less give a wink.

Wildhog

Quote from: Darren McChadden on February 12, 2008, 01:10:23 am
if you knew how that quote finished, i promise you, you would not be saying *scratch scratch*...much less give a wink.

Agreed. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

IronHog

It serves two purposes:

1.  Bumps the thread to the top so other readers can see it.  When MMQB is really busy things can go off the first page quickly.

2.  Indicates that others may enjoy the article.

The +1 is more of a thanks or agreement than a reference to the karma system.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Beaverfever

Most people just do it for a higher post count I think.  It is pretty pointless.  But -1 for whining.

hogwild1

wow....I saw some birds in the yard today........that's almost as pointless as you're comment. Just an observation though.
hit the road, hit the road, keep on goin, get your a$$ on down 49. give a cheer ra ra,never fear ra ra,arkansas will be just fine.

returntoglory

why is this in the recruiting forum?

Sow’sEar

-1, simply because I can.

hawgwild child

-1 and +1 to Lulu hog cause i can

tendu

HogNuttz

Karma count means nothing as far as being a good poster, IMO.  Good Karma simply means you either are always in the popular opinion or don't bother expressing your opinions that go against the grain.  The quickest way to get smited is to post opposite the popular opinion, even if you have facts and reasoning to back up your point. Some of the best posters on here have terrible karma numbers.  It's meaningless.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Rooka

Quote from: Darren McChadden on February 12, 2008, 01:10:23 am
HA, I dont live in the gutter my friend.

hogfan179

Derjen

February 12, 2008, 11:46:22 am #24 Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 11:52:49 am by Derjen
The karma system is sorta like being a school again, it indicates how much people like you or don't like you.  It's also a direct reflection of your association with the "krew" or  how PC/un-PC you are.

BTW Tomhog, I picture you as the guy with the hog nose in the middle of your signature image.

returntoglory

but i was never cool in school, i thought this would be my place of solace :'(

Derjen

Quote from: returntoglory on February 12, 2008, 11:50:12 am
but i was never cool in school, i thought this would be my place of solace :'(

I applaud your search for a place of solitude.  Welcome to the island of misfit toys!   ;D

Hog on the Hill

February 12, 2008, 11:59:27 am #27 Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 12:01:35 pm by Hog on the Hill
Yeah, on other forums that's called "cheerleading" and is generally frowned upon because it contributes nothing useful to the discussion and only wastes space

On other forums with a karma system, you can see who gives you + or -, and for which post.  I think having an anonymous system is bad because you don't actually get any feedback for your posts, and it allows people to - you for no good reason.  If you can see who they are, you can at least return the favor if they deserved it.  On the other hand, if you do deserve it, you will probably get a lot of -, and it would take a lot of time to get them all back.  There are more positives than negatives for the system NOT being anonymous.

Derjen

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on February 12, 2008, 11:59:27 am
Yeah, on other forums that's called "cheerleading" and is generally frowned upon because it contributes nothing useful to the discussion and only wastes space

On other forums with a karma system, you can see who gives you + or -, and for which post.  I think having an anonymous system is bad because you don't actually get any feedback for your posts, and it allows people to - you for no good reason.  If you can see who they are, you can at least return the favor if they deserved it.  On the other hand, if you do deserve it, you will probably get a lot of -, and it would take a lot of time to get them all back.  There are more positives than negatives for the system NOT being anonymous.

I completely agree!

HogNuttz

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on February 12, 2008, 11:59:27 am

No kidding.  I posted my unpopular opinions that Pel was part of the reason the team was underperforming and added some facts to back up my opinion.  I got smited for at least a week after I was done posting about it and this isn't the first time something like this has happend.  Some people act like the bossy kid in third grade who throws a fit if everyone doesn't agree with them.  Another reason why karma means jack.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

KAHog

Quote from: HogNuttz on February 12, 2008, 11:16:03 am
Karma count means nothing as far as being a good poster, IMO.  Good Karma simply means you either are always in the popular opinion or don't bother expressing your opinions that go against the grain.  The quickest way to get smited is to post opposite the popular opinion, even if you have facts and reasoning to back up your point. Some of the best posters on here have terrible karma numbers.  It's meaningless.

Funny how this explanation fits your ratio...

back2back

Amazing avatar Derjen +1
FTS = Feed the Studs

HogNuttz

Quote from: KAHog on February 12, 2008, 02:29:04 pm

Funny how you can't use the quote feature, but have more + than -.

Foshodo

Quote from: Grateful Red on February 12, 2008, 12:36:32 am
Funny thing about my back is...

haha... what is that from? i know it but i cant place it.

CurlyTail

Quote from: Foshodo on February 12, 2008, 03:11:15 pm
haha... what is that from? i know it but i cant place it.

Superbad?

smoked hog

Its a way to boost the thread count.

beansandtaters

Quote from: smoked hog on February 12, 2008, 03:26:06 pm
Its a way to boost the thread count.

that makes for much softer sheets...

BCShogs

HogNuttz

Quote from: BCShogs on February 12, 2008, 03:30:56 pm
smite me

Nice.  One of the shortest, to the point, yet funniest posts I've seen.

A virtual +1 for you.

dchoss

if you don't stand behind our troops by all means 'feel free' to stand in front of them

PigWig

Quote from: HogNuttz on February 12, 2008, 03:03:22 pm
Funny how you can't use the quote feature, but have more + than -.
Not anymore ;)

Foshodo

my money is that this thread has caused the most applauds and smites for no reason

Derjen

keithh1999

+1 for the post -- you deserve it.
Pig Farmers are cool.

Chuck Porker

It is a way to get to 500 posts so you can use the Damn Search function.

CP

Derjen

Quote from: Chuck Porker on February 12, 2008, 06:01:33 pm
It is a way to get to 500 posts so you can use the Damn Search function.

CP

I learn something new everyday!

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: Derjen on February 12, 2008, 11:46:22 am
The karma system is sorta like being a school again, it indicates how much people like you or don't like you.  It's also a direct reflection of your association with the "krew" or  how PC/un-PC you are.

BTW Tomhog, I picture you as the guy with the hog nose in the middle of your signature image.

+1 for your avatar
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: FilipinaRazorback on February 12, 2008, 05:33:00 pm
mju1 committed the cardinal sin of chat/forum rooms,  don't make an issue out of something,  you don't want an issue being made of...   +1,999

you change your avatar to get +1s, don't lie!
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!