Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warning...Tennessee Cheats

Started by chiefsfan, February 11, 2008, 11:51:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chiefsfan

Womens game tonight.  Rutgers is leading Tennesse by 1 in Knoxville.   The Clock is running out and Tennessee has the ball.   They take a shot, and it misses, and the ball bounces free on the rebound as the clock hits 1 second left.   A Tennessee player corrals the ball and you think they dont have time to do anything.  But magically a foul is called with 0.2 seconds left and Tennessee makes 2 free throws to win the game

You see.   The clock instead of ticking down to a complete :00  somehow managed to stop on its own with 0.2 seconds left, a good second or 2 before the refs even blow the whistle for the foull.   The "Glitch" Was considered accidental and Tennesse was declared victors
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Beaverfever

IMO tennessee should have to forfeit the game.  THEIR clock keeper messed up and it won them the game.  They should have to forfeit.

RedSatinHog

Similar thing happened a few years back in the regional finals of the NCAA Women's tourney between the Lady Vols and Baylor.  Just ask Kim Mulkey and watch her face get red talking about it.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

chiefsfan

It needs to be mentioned on the Tennessee board.   Anytime it gets brought up...someone attacks the poster that brings it up saying Rutgers deserved what they got
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

DaveV

You said the time keeper stopped the clock at .2 before the whistle...

Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought the refs whistles were hooked up to a device to stop the clock when the whistle is blown? There is not a timekeeper anymore.

I know it's that way for men, surely it is for women to since it is installed in the arena.

3kgthog

That was pretty awful. It didn't even take the refs long after reviewing the tape to say, "You betcha she got fouled with .2 seconds left!"

Beaverfever

Whether there is an actual time keeper or not it was tennessee's clock and they should be responsible.

chiefsfan

Quote from: DaveV on February 12, 2008, 12:10:06 am
You said the time keeper stopped the clock at .2 before the whistle...

Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought the refs whistles were hooked up to a device to stop the clock when the whistle is blown? There is not a timekeeper anymore.

I know it's that way for men, surely it is for women to since it is installed in the arena.

I dont know about that, but sports center just showed it and the clock clearly stopped well before the whistle with .2 seconds left

mathhog

crazy

[youtube=425,350]raI-Fp8iisM[/youtube]

HogFansReunited

Quote from: mathhog on February 12, 2008, 12:50:34 am
crazy

After watching the video, the clock stopped well before she was fouled.  Wow is all I can say.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

phadedhawg

My gosh!!!  That was awful. 

I don't see how this could be a "glitch".  The clock didn't magically stop by itself.  Why would the clock keeper be anticipating a whistle anyhow. 

If more time was meant to be put back on the clock the refs would have handled it by review.

This was CHEATING!!!

DaveV

THERE IS NO CLOCK KEEPER, FOR THE SECOND TIME.

Refs wear a device that stops the clock when they blow their whistle. What happened was that one of the back refs (Probably a Tenn fan) blew their whistle before the clock ran out anticipating a foul so that Tenn could get their free throws.

Complete bullchit. How sweet would a Rutgers Tenn NCAA Tourney rematch be?! I might actually watch that (prob still not).

spit

if that was men's game, how would Pel react?  see the expressions on his face now..

rljjr

razorback903

Quote from: chiefsfan on February 12, 2008, 12:00:30 am
It needs to be mentioned on the Tennessee board.   Anytime it gets brought up...someone attacks the poster that brings it up saying Rutgers deserved what they got
Don Imus posts on the Tennessee board ???
John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell, but he won't even follow him to the cave where he lives.

DeltaBoy

Nothing like HOME Court advantage!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ALLVOL

Let me guess. If UT wins Wed it will be due to cheating?

cityhog

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 12, 2008, 10:40:16 am
Let me guess. If UT wins Wed it will be due to cheating?

If it happens the way the Lady Vols beat Rutgers, then YES!

ALLVOL

Quote from: cityhog on February 12, 2008, 10:49:58 am
If it happens the way the Lady Vols beat Rutgers, then YES!
Who made the call? The officials or UT? They had the ability to look at the replay. Besides that game means nothing to the one coming up. It just looks like some are making excuses already.

cityhog

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 12, 2008, 10:54:10 am
Who made the call? The officials or UT? They had the ability to look at the replay. Besides that game means nothing to the one coming up. It just looks like some are making excuses already.

Lighten up Francis.  We all know home cooking by the refs is a way of life in the SEC.  We have benefited from it at times as well.  Here's to breaking your home court winning streak.  AGAIN!

djgaffer

February 12, 2008, 11:26:43 am #20 Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 11:48:16 am by djgaffer
Quote from: DaveV on February 12, 2008, 04:26:55 am

Refs wear a device that stops the clock when they blow their whistle. What happened was that one of the back refs (Probably a Tenn fan) blew their whistle before the clock ran out anticipating a foul so that Tenn could get their free throws.

Complete bullchit. How sweet would a Rutgers Tenn NCAA Tourney rematch be?! I might actually watch that (prob still not).

You are both right and wrong.  The Precision timer is the device that the officials have that effectively runs the clock.  The whistles stop the clock and they have a button on their battery packs that start it. 

However, there is still a clock keeper.  At But Walton, the timer is also the person in charge of the horn.  They are used essentially as backup for the precision timer, but you also have full control to start and stop the clock on your own.  The timer is educated to both start and stop the clock a fraction of a second slow so that the officials run the game on the floor.

The precision timer isn't perfect.  If an official is talking to a player with the whistle in his mouth, or if they just happen to breathe too hard into the whistle, it can stop the clock.  And occasionally the whistle will not stop the clock, a battery pack goes bad, etc.  That's why you still have the timer.

I don't know what happened in Tennessee, but there are a lot of other options than cheating.

dchoss

looks to me like the girl was fouled with time left in the game.
if you don't stand behind our troops by all means 'feel free' to stand in front of them

DeltaBoy

This Hogville not ScarletKnightville!  Why are we hollering when a fellow SEC member got a good win?
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogginitall

Quote from: dchoss on February 12, 2008, 11:44:21 am
looks to me like the girl was fouled with time left in the game.

There was only time left in the game because the clock stopped for a full second at 0.2 seconds.  Pure crap.  Horrible officiating.

Hogginitall

Quote from: HogZ28 on February 12, 2008, 11:54:49 am
oh well its over.   there were alot of bad calls in that game that went against Tennessee.   Rutgers did get what they deserve.    the Rutgers coach is a whiner with the little remark about there needing to be a quetion mark next to this win.  Would she be talking this way if the situation was reversed?   No she wouldnt.

Doesn't change the fact that what happened was wrong.  Between that call and the one at the end of the GU/Villanova game, it was a bad night for officials.  They were horrible.

Hogginitall

Quote from: HogZ28 on February 12, 2008, 12:00:45 pm

no it doesnt change a thing, but if Rutgers would have taken care of business it would not have mattered or camedown to that.    You dont foul anyone like that during a close game like that....

I agree.  But technically, it should've been after time expired.  I don't really care.  It's women's basketball.  I just happened to see the end of that game and thought Rutgers got screwed.  Same with Villanova.

Hogginitall

Quote from: HogZ28 on February 12, 2008, 12:05:00 pm

i get what your saying.  the Rutgers girl shouldnt have put her team in that situation with the foul, especially on the road like that.    i didnt see the Villanova/GU game so I dotn know how that one ended....

They called a touch foul on Villanova with 0.1 second left and the Georgetown player was 80 feet from the basket.  Absolutely horrendous.  The game was tied at 53 and should've gone to overtime.  Instead, the GU player hits his free throws and the game is over.

Pigdiana Jones

"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

MDH

Quote from: Hogginitall on February 12, 2008, 12:09:49 pm
They called a touch foul on Villanova with 0.1 second left and the Georgetown player was 80 feet from the basket.  Absolutely horrendous.  The game was tied at 53 and should've gone to overtime.  Instead, the GU player hits his free throws and the game is over.

The Nova call was far worse than what happened to Rutgers, IMO.  At least they were in the vincinity of the basket in the Women's game.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

Hawgon

Quote from: HogZ28 on February 12, 2008, 12:05:00 pm

i get what your saying.  the Rutgers girl shouldnt have put her team in that situation with the foul, especially on the road like that.    i didnt see the Villanova/GU game so I dotn know how that one ended....

Well, with the clock stopping like that, if she hadn't been fouled, she probably would have hit the game winning shot.

justin2000m80

I dont know who's fault it was but I saw it and it was horrible. 

Maverick Razorback

then why did the clock start again..
IF YOU AINT FIRST...YOUR LAST!!

One of Arkansas last lowriders.

Maverick Razorback

the clock stops with 0.2 and then restarted.. if the refs whistle stopped the clock..who started it back up??
IF YOU AINT FIRST...YOUR LAST!!

One of Arkansas last lowriders.

lilredheadedlady

Quote from: mathhog on February 12, 2008, 12:50:34 am
crazy

Wow.  That's blatant cheating. 

Well, in light of this, our boys better lay a beating on the vols so they can't do any of that funny business.
I love our Arkansas Razorback players! WPS!

Chuck Porker

CincyVol

Beaverfever

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 12, 2008, 10:54:10 am
Whatever man.  Whether you like it or not the Tennessee women's basketball program looks shady.

DaveV

The ref could have started it back up, all they have to do is blow into the whistle hard enough to stop it/start it. Who knows or really cares, just a chick game anyways.

reddogjcss

Only cheating if you get caught.

CincyVol

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 12, 2008, 06:22:06 pm
Whatever man.  Whether you like it or not the Tennessee women's basketball program looks shady.

How does that make the program look shady? The refs went back over to the table and still put .2 on the clock. They could have called it if they thought it was over. It's not like Pat Summitt or any of the Lady Vols stopped the clock.

DaveV

hogsailor

It could happen that way in favor of the Hogs.

Would you gripe about it then?

The Vols got the better end of the deal.

College BB officiating is having to deal with problems never dreamed of ten years ago.

Don't start making excuses for why we lose to them because of a bad call in the women's game.

We will beat them, hopefully, because we are the better team.

Officiating goes both ways. Tomorrow pray it's in ours...

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

Wild Bill Hog

Charles Barkley says "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying".  By the way, has ESPiN interviewed Imus yet?

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: hogsailor on February 12, 2008, 07:58:26 pm
It could happen that way in favor of the Hogs.

Would you gripe about it then?

The Vols got the better end of the deal.

College BB officiating is having to deal with problems never dreamed of ten years ago.

Don't start making excuses for why we lose to them because of a bad call in the women's game.

We will beat them, hopefully, because we are the better team.

Officiating goes both ways. Tomorrow pray it's in ours...

Given that most all SEC BB referees don't come close to having a clue about what's going on, no way they could have a conspiracy plan that actually worked!

Golfer

I think it was a bad call but the officials were responsible for that, not Tennessee, so I can't see how that could make Tennessee look 'shady'.  I don't like Tennessee and wish they had lost, but in this case they had nothing to do with the mistakes that were made.

31to6

The players did not cheat. I find it hard to believe that Pat Summit is so insecure in her job or her ego that she would tell someone to cheat.

So, it may be that the timekeeper cheated or--more charitably--made a mistake. The refs pretty much blew the call when they reviewed it, that is clear.

I choose to believe that it was a mistake because I choose to believe that given a choice between incompetence and conspiracy, incompetence is usually the explanation. There are a lot more stupid people in the world than brazenly crooked ones.

The sad thing is that TN Womens BB is so good they don't need breaks like this to dominate year after year.

Nashville Fan

Doesn't matter if there was or not. The on floor refs have the ability to correct this by watching the replay but they didn't. What conference were the refs from?
Pittman or Bust!

jgphillips3

I don't know if it is cheating, but it doesn't look good and any team that loses a game on a questionable stoppage like that should have a right to complain.  That is almost as bad as putting the ball on the ground in an SEC tournament game and starting the count...

mathhog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 13, 2008, 01:45:48 pm
I don't know if it is cheating, but it doesn't look good and any team that loses a game on a questionable stoppage like that should have a right to complain.  That is almost as bad as putting the ball on the ground in an SEC tournament game and starting the count...

GEORGIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA