Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Major numbers problems for Bama

Started by Tammany Tom, February 11, 2008, 12:52:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tammany Tom

Look for numerous Bama players to be cut from the program this spring and summer. Bama is in a major numbers crunch. Nicky is going to have to kick off several players off the team to make the numbers work this fall. Good ole St. Nick will be making numerous kids and families quite upset when they find out they no longer have a scholarship this summer.

As we all thought when Bama signed their huge class that several wouldn't be able to cut it academically and that group includes Jermaine Preyear, Alonzo Lawrence, Marcel Dareus, Kerry Murphy and possibly receivers Melvin Ray and Devonta Bolton. All of these players are pretty highly rated.

With the above players not making it on the Bama roster this fall it sure takes that "great" Bama class down a few notches.

It will be a very interesting spring and summer following Bama football to see how St. Nick makes it all work.

Check out this article on Bama:

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080211/SPORTS/802110316/1002

Baconator

rzrbaxfan

Thanks for sharing!  Now that the classes are "official", its interesting to see how things shake out from there.  I've read a lot about ours of course, and have kept an eye on the Mississippi schools.

How is LSU's shaking out? Fans pretty happy with who you landed?

WAN

"That's not something we're going to address publicly or make a public issue," Saban said, "or is it something I think anybody needs to be worried about."

Sounds good to me.

311Hog

Quote from: WAN on February 11, 2008, 01:19:03 pm
"That's not something we're going to address publicly or make a public issue," Saban said, "or is it something I think anybody needs to be worried about."

Sounds good to me.

AKA

"Im going to be yanking some schollies from some kids that have put in work for the last 3+ years and i dont want anyone to know about it". -N. Saban

idiotghos

Quote from: 311Hog on February 11, 2008, 01:29:16 pm
AKA

"Im going to be yanking some schollies from some kids that have put in work for the last 3+ years and i dont want anyone to know about it". -N. Saban

If there are some kids on the team who he doesn't think are going to contribute, then that's what he ought to do from a coach's standpoint.

311Hog

Quote from: idiotghos on February 11, 2008, 01:32:12 pm
If there are some kids on the team who he doesn't think are going to contribute, then that's what he ought to do from a coach's standpoint.

WRONG

this isnt the NFL you dont manage your roster like that, these kids are STUDENT-Athletes you offer a kid a schollie, he does everything right in the class room and on the field. YOU CANNOT just kick him out a year short of graduating because the administration changed, and they want to go in another direction.

That is utter bullshiet.

idiotghos

Quote from: 311Hog on February 11, 2008, 01:33:53 pm

WRONG

this isnt the NFL you dont manage your roster like that, these kids are STUDENT-Athletes you offer a kid a schollie, he does everything right in the class room and on the field. YOU CANNOT just kick him out a year short of graduating because the administration changed, and they want to go in another direction.

That is utter bullshiet.

It's what he was hired to do.

311Hog

Quote from: idiotghos on February 11, 2008, 01:34:58 pm
It's what he was hired to do.

that maybe the case, but if he thinks the media and society is just going to let him do it without a word, he is sadly mistaken.  He wont be able to keep it "under wraps" as he is saying and it is everyone's business.  High School kids parents should know.

idiotghos

Quote from: 311Hog on February 11, 2008, 01:37:56 pm

that maybe the case, but if he thinks the media and society is just going to let him do it without a word, he is sadly mistaken.  He wont be able to keep it "under wraps" as he is saying and it is everyone's business.  High School kids parents should know.

I agree that it should get out, because it's terrible if you were depending on the schollie for your education.  I just don't think bama fans will give him too much grief if he starts cutting lots of players.  When they went after Saban they knew he was a guy who wins big and doesn't care who he has to step on to do it, and to at least some degree they wanted that.

HogHillbilly

Quote from: 311Hog on February 11, 2008, 01:37:56 pm

It would be the beginning of the end for him recruiting wise...............

He would'nt be able to get any kids from there on out................No parent would send their kid to a school and worry every year if their kid was gonna survive scholarship wise

Plus............The media would hang him................It just isn't right
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

arkbengal

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on February 11, 2008, 01:01:00 pm
Thanks for sharing!  Now that the classes are "official", its interesting to see how things shake out from there.  I've read a lot about ours of course, and have kept an eye on the Mississippi schools.

How is LSU's shaking out? Fans pretty happy with who you landed?

Not to jump Tom's answer, but for the most part, yes. Not a lot of flash, although they got 3-4 nice receivers and DB's, but a lot of this class is on defense and linemen both sides of the ball. No RB's however, and only one QB, although they like his potential. Class was ranked from 5th to 11th depending on who you ask so they looked pretty solid.

idiotghos

February 11, 2008, 01:46:55 pm #12 Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 01:49:59 pm by idiotghos
Quote from: HogHillbilly on February 11, 2008, 01:43:45 pm

I hate that I'm playing devil's advocate so much for a bama coach, but I think if it's just Shula's recruits that he's cutting, he can spin it as them being incompatible with his system, and then tell parents this isn't something the kids he recruits will have a problem with.

Pigdiana Jones

Kids are *supposed* to be going to college for education first, football second. I know that isn't the way it turns out, but that is what is supposed to happen.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

WAN

February 11, 2008, 01:50:40 pm #14 Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 01:58:44 pm by WAN
"The following group has not met the admission requirements yet: Davidson tailback Jermaine Preyear, Mississippi cornerback Alonzo Lawrence, Huffman defensive lineman Marcel Dareus, Hargrave lineman Kerry Murphy and possibly receivers Melvin Ray and Devonta Bolton.

Several current players qualify for medical hardship scholarships this year, including junior receiver Will Oakley, who has batted recurring hamstring injuries; outside linebacker Zeke Knight, who has experienced recurring dizzy spells through heart-related problems; guard B.J. Stabler, whose three knee surgeries have not cured him of problems that prevent him from sitting out practice because of the knee; and defensive back Chris Lett, whose case of juvenile diabetes has prevented him from practicing, much less playing with the team."

If all of this holds true, there's 10 - plus Cody Davis (medical). Two recruits may play baseball. Factor in gray-shirts and transfers and it'll be down to 1 or 2.

The Lemming

Razorback Homer

The Ole Ball Coach did that a couple of years ago.  Lou had signed several kids from the Columbia area who weren't SEC caliber, so he cut them.  He caught a lot of grief for it, but he survived.

Like it or not, these four year scholarships are really only a series of one year scholarships that CAN be renewed each year.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

elksnort

February 11, 2008, 01:57:11 pm #17 Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 02:00:12 pm by elksnort
Idealism vs pragmatism.

311, it very well may be wrong to pull a kid's scholarship, but if they are the 86th best player or above then, I guess this is what is going to happen.

As far as fans, especially Bama fans, most could give a rat's a$$ about the education their players are getting. They are paying a Coach 4 million dollars a year to win. Maybe the local HS guidance counselor is making 40K.

Razorvet

And how well has the Ball Coach done when recruiting against Clemson lately? If our coach did this I would expect him to be fired or have someone intervene on the students behalf and stop it before it happened. I dont care about winnig that much. You do it right or not at all.

Razorback Homer

Aside from 1-2 yrs, USC-E sucked while Lou was there.  I'm not saying the SS has set the world on fire, but they are better than Lou's last few years there.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

311Hog

Quote from: elksnort on February 11, 2008, 01:57:11 pm
Idealism vs pragmatism.

311, it very well may be wrong to pull a kid's scholarship, but if they are the 86th best player or above then, I guess this is what is going to happen.

As far as fans, especially Bama fans, most could give a rat's a$$ about the education their players are getting. They are paying a Coach 4 million dollars a year to win. Maybe the local HS guidance counselor is making 40K.

I understand all of that, but if Saban actually thinks it is "none of anyone's business" then he isnt as smart as people make him out to be.  Everyone friends and foe have an interest in how he treats his players, all that business about "honoring the commitments" etc come into play here, very basic code of conduct when it comes to football.

Hell it is why Petrino took so much heat for leaving Atlanta sure the season was over and his shiety players had quit on him long before he did, but he did quit and that is a no no in football, just like yanking the schollie of a kid that is on the verge of graduation to hand it over to some "new" kid for the "new" coach.

Sure Bama fans prolly turn a blind eye to it for the sake of "winning" but that doesnt make it any less news worthy or wrong.

farmhawg

If a student gets an academic scholarship and then fails to make the grades they lose that scholarship. What's the difference if they are not contributing to the football team? It does seem harsh to pull it if the player is trying their best, but that is the reality with only 85 scholarships allowed. The NCAA rules have allowed this to happen.  
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Wrigley_crush

kids who get grey-shirted usually are aware of it happening before they sign. Its usually the kids coming from "well to do" families who can afford to pay their own way and be a walk on to get around the scholarship issue.
"You should probably take just about everything i say to you as an insult!"

311Hog

Quote from: farmhawg on February 11, 2008, 02:12:05 pm
If a student gets an academic scholarship and then fails to make the grades they lose that scholarship. What's the difference if they are not contributing to the football team? It does seem harsh to pull it if the player is trying their best, but that is the reality with only 85 scholarships allowed. The NCAA rules have allowed this to happen. 

How do you know that the kid isnt "making it on the football field" because an incoming freshman has more stars then he did when he came out of HS ? How?

It is simple you cant, it is basically Saban doesnt want to honor the commitment the University of Alabama made to a particular player or players that Shula brought into the program, in leu of his own "recruits".

HogNuttz

The difference is this: if an academic scholarship is pulled, a student will find out in May, even though any student smart enough to get a scholarship the first time around will most likely know it is coming before then.  That is plenty enough time to try and get a scholarship at a slightly less stringent academic institution.  When these players are cut, they won't have time to find another team to play for becuase their rosters will be full and they may be forced to sit out a year if they transfer, I'm not sure how the transfer policy effects those who have a schollie yanked.

That is a big difference, IMO.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

SquidBilly

Yes but that is different.  That is all on the student.  In this case the players that will likely be cut were Shula recruits who should not be punished this way just because Saban is there now and needs the scholarships.  These players likely had other options for where they could have gone out of HS and don't you think if they even thought something like this could happen to them that they would have chosen another school?  If this happens and no one does anything to prevent it, then I think this greatly weakens the NCAA stance on making transfers sit out a year.  A kid can't decide to transfer without being penalized a year but Saban can cut a kid loose with no repercussions.  On one hand the NCAA barks about not wanting "free agency" in college football, but then on the other hand they are okay with scholarships being "unguaranteed contracts" much like the NFL does with their contracts.  This stinks. 

ezraboss

Quote from: HogHillbilly on February 11, 2008, 01:43:45 pm

He would'nt be able to get any kids from there on out................No parent would send their kid to a school and worry every year if their kid was gonna survive scholarship wise

Plus............The media would hang him................It just isn't right

Interesting, because if that's the case, he has already hung his a$S, hasn't he? There's no easy way out now. greed

FATBACKHAWG

Saban can do whatever he wants to do because he is Alabama's Messiah.  He made the blind to see and the lame to walk again....God I hate em..

hogsanity

If the kids are being cut simply because they are not good enough to play for Saban, that is wrong.  If they are not good enough, then they do not play, but you dont take a kids scholarship away, and proabably the only chance most of them have to get a college education, just because you found a better player.  However, that sounds exactly like something Nick satan would do.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

For anyone who think this is okay, how would you feel if Petrino dropped about 10 kids, especially in state kids?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

Quote from: Pel Legs™ on February 11, 2008, 02:58:11 pm
How is it wrong?  Based on what YOU feel?  The scholarships are renewed year to year.  In fact, it's an ATHLETIC scholarship. 

If they aren't good enough, they can be cut.  Now, I would prefer coaches not go through with this practice but it isn't wrong.  It's no more wrong than an employer firing a long-time employee who isn't good enough or running off an athletic director after 50 years of service who is well past his prime. 

The point is they dont KNOW they arent good enough.  Basically Saban over signed by so many that he is in "over stocked lot mode" and HE MUST SELL SELL SELLL ! get those 07's its time for the 09's !

You do not know if a kid in HS can step onto the field in college and produce, so he is basically going to look at kids he didnt want or choose whom have been busting their asses for him for 2 years + only to be marginal contributers for what ever reason and cut them loose in favor of an "unknown" commodity.

And in doing so screwing up that kid or kids whole life, like someone else posted they wont know UNTIL right before Fall if they have been "cut". And wont have time to do anything other then get a job and sit out a year.

Honestly i think its pretty cold hearted, but that is the college business i suppose and people wonder why NFL and pro athletes are such premadonna a$$holes, it is because in college they were treated like sub human pieces of equipment with no say and totally at the mercy of the coach and the administration, and once they turn pro the coin flips and it is the other way around.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Pel Legs™ on February 11, 2008, 02:58:11 pm
How is it wrong?  Based on what YOU feel?  The scholarships are renewed year to year.  In fact, it's an ATHLETIC scholarship. 

If they aren't good enough, they can be cut.  Now, I would prefer coaches not go through with this practice but it isn't wrong.  It's no more wrong than an employer firing a long-time employee who isn't good enough or running off an athletic director after 50 years of service who is well past his prime. 

Bingo. 

BTW, does anyone know how many scholarships AL had available?  I mean if they had the full 25, then there may not be a problem at all.  Tammany Tom himself just list a half-dozen or so in this class that very likely won't make it.  If that is the case, Nicky is right back in the hunt of 25.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

farmhawg

Quote from: ATLpiggie on February 11, 2008, 02:31:21 pm
Yes but that is different.  That is all on the student.  In this case the players that will likely be cut were Shula recruits who should not be punished this way just because Saban is there now and needs the scholarships.  These players likely had other options for where they could have gone out of HS and don't you think if they even thought something like this could happen to them that they would have chosen another school?  If this happens and no one does anything to prevent it, then I think this greatly weakens the NCAA stance on making transfers sit out a year.  A kid can't decide to transfer without being penalized a year but Saban can cut a kid loose with no repercussions.  On one hand the NCAA barks about not wanting "free agency" in college football, but then on the other hand they are okay with scholarships being "unguaranteed contracts" much like the NFL does with their contracts.  This stinks. 
I agree with you that it stinks.

What do you do with the player that gets a schollie and then does the absolute bare minimum to get by? What if they are lazy and do not care if they ever get to play? I know that that is not most of the players but it could happen. If you are the coach, do you let them continue to be on the team? Coaches cut people every year but it is not made known to the media for this very reason. I do think it is very much like academics. You have to have performed at a certain level to get the schollie. You have to continue to produce at that level to keep it. I seriously doubt any coach is going to cut a player that is producing just because they didn't recruit them.

Again, I agree that it stinks but that is part of life.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: Pel Legs™ on February 11, 2008, 02:59:43 pm
Don't care.  If you want to keep your scholarship, practice/play better.  If you lose your scholarship, you better get a job, student loan, academic scholarship, or go to a smaller school like almost every other kid in America. 

They there should be some sort of expectations put in each scholarship.  Incentive clauses if you will, so that the players will know what is expected of them on the field to keep their scholarship. 

Of course, this is why, when a new coach comes in, players should have the opportunity for a one time transfer which requires no sit out year. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Pel Legs™ on February 11, 2008, 03:30:03 pm
That's fine but you've just jumped into solutions.  I've been talking about this situation.  Saban can only bring in 25 for next year.  Kids transfer, have career injuries, etc that will make the number of 85 easier to meet. 

You are asking for an impossible situation.  There are too many variables in football.  Eventually, these coaches will not want the hit against the APR.

Ok, I THINK IT IS WRONG, that my opinion.  As far as over signing, thst not a problem, for me.  Now, if you oversign by 10+ thats odd.  Thats what Auburn did last year.

upperdeck_hawg

if i was making 4 mill and had just had a season where i lost to La Monroe, hurting 2-3 kids feelings would be the least of my worries. saban knows whats at stake here. win and the fans will forgive and forget.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

hoghearted

Could it impact future recruiting? Especially in Alabama where their most hated rival is just up the road? I'm sure TT could make this into a PR nightmare for Saban.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

mossfan33

If I was one of the 6-10 kids that had my scholarship pulled you can bet that I would do everything I could to make sure that every kid bama is recruiting next year would know what happened.  That is bush league and something that you just don't do.  Saban is a tool and I hope the national media gets ahold of this and runs with it.........
Go HG Hornets. STL Cardinals.  Packers.  Tar Heels  Hogs

311Hog

Quote from: Pel Legs™ on February 11, 2008, 03:30:03 pm
That's fine but you've just jumped into solutions.  I've been talking about this situation.  Saban can only bring in 25 for next year.  Kids transfer, have career injuries, etc that will make the number of 85 easier to meet. 

You are asking for an impossible situation.  There are too many variables in football.  Eventually, these coaches will not want the hit against the APR.

actually i am pretty sure Saban didnt have 25 schollies to give, and he knew it going in.  You can only have 85 kids on your roster, that is part of his problem. Not only did he over sign the 25 schollies max a year, but he has more returning players combined with the incoming freshman to where he is well over the 85 total team members limit because he only had 15 SR's leave the program.

He has multiple numbers issues, one will solve it self with academic qualifying, and the other he will have to solve by pushing grey shirts and/or simply cutting existing scholarship players until he gets down to 85.

311Hog

Quote from: Pel Legs™ on February 11, 2008, 04:16:47 pm
For all of you jumping off the cliff, do you think Saban is the only coach who hasn't renewed a scholarship?

yeah other coaches may do it to a kid or two, and they can do simple math.  You can only have 85 kids, you have 15 sr's leaving that leaves you with 70 kids barring injuries etc you know LONG BEFORE SIGNING DAY, that if you roll out there and sign 30+ kids you are going to have to cut a shiet load of players to get under the cap.

This isnt a case where a few players arent meeting expectations, Saban is cleaning house of players he didnt recruit and maybe wouldnt have recruited.

And he can do this pretty much on a whim, without any care for consequences other then media fall out, and hardship placed on the kids he cuts.

311Hog

But it begs this question.

Whom do you feel it is easier on to move? and is it justified to be so casual about it?

Basically what i am asking is if a coach who is already likely a millionaire, changes jobs the University pays for any and all moving expenses etc.  The coach has more then enough scratch to put his family and himself up until things get settled.

A student a kid, who prolly doesnt work, who prolly doesnt even have a checking account/savings. His parents moved him generally speaking far away to go to school.  Now he finds out right before the Fall semester "sorry son you just werent in my plan and i need to yank your funding". So now he has to move back home (parent issue unexpected), find a new school to play for that will offer financial assistance etc, that school will prolly NOT be D1 because then he would have to sit a year or maybe they dont accept Senior transfers, so the quality of the name on the degree just took a HUGE hit for the most part along with all the time spent building relationships etc on campus.

I understand it is a business etc, but i mean seriously the effects of a kid getting a schollie yanked so deep into the education process is brutal.

311Hog

February 11, 2008, 04:52:07 pm #41 Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:56:26 pm by 311Hog
Quote from: Pel Legs™ on February 11, 2008, 04:43:50 pm
Then put a date in place by which you have to notify the kid.  Maybe June 1?

But don't give me the poor kid, doesn't have any money, etc.  Not every college athlete is poor.  Not every college athlete is rich.  If someone wants to go to college, they can.  Items such as grants, loans, jobs which generate cash, inheritance, 529s, ESAs, parents, and even the academic scholarship are one of many routes.  I might also add that it's not a kid's right to go to the state university.

You simply do not understand the academic situation all of the things you just listed REQUIRE PAPER WORK, paper work that must be submitted WELL in advance of academic years, and typically "roll over" or are much easier to continue once you have been granted that first year.

I am someone that had to transfer to the UofA during my Soph. year and to be honest just as a regular student is was HELL.  No classes available, funding was already doled out, etc etc. I cant imagine what it would be like for a person who was USE TO, having people do all the paper work for them because they were on ath schollie.

It is poor student it sure  isnt poor coach now is it?

It is a kids right to expect a contract to be honored with some level of integrity.  If a kid didnt work hard and wasnt cutting it sure they would expect some consequences, but what we are talking about is a whole sale "house cleaning" of old coaches players with new coaches players and nothing more.

Basically a kid that was doing just fine at Alabama for 2+ years is about to have his life turned upside down because he was recruited by the old coach, and the new coach has deemed him expendable.

I mean Ryan Mallet comes to mind, new coach comes in basically tells him to get lost and now it is on him to find a new place, get moved in, get all the paper work in, will likely be to late to get in to any classes of importance so his graduate date will be pushed back, etc etc.

You do not simply walk up to the registrars office and plop down some forms and get cash money for school that day, if you wanted to have funding for this coming fall semester you should have submitted the forms today, hell pre registration for the Fall will be in a few weeks anyway, good luck finding a class or a place to stay in August.

mhsbc59

Quote from: 311Hog on February 11, 2008, 01:33:53 pm

WRONG

That is utter bullshiet.
I agree
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

want2be

If a player's scholly is taken away from him, can he transfer without sitting out a year ??

Bubba's Bruisers

Why is this even an issue?  Is it because it's AL and Saban?  I mean many, many schools over sign by 5-10 in a year...look at Ole Miss the last 4 years.  I understand that it may be difficult for the numbers to ultimately work out at AL, but this is nothing new with any program.  Saban is being paid big bucks to win alot of FB games for probably the most insane program in the history of college football.  Obviously, he doesn't think that whatever he is doing is going to have a negative effect on recruiting in the future, and he's a smart man that's been in this business for a long time. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

311Hog

Quote from: Pel Legs™ on February 11, 2008, 05:15:05 pm
An athletic scholarship IS NOT a four or five year contract without renewal periods.  An academic scholarship is renewed year by year.  Why should an athlete receive preferential treatment?  Furthermore, what part of the contract isn't being honored?

This part.

1. yes traditionally teams do over sign if they expect some not to "make it to campus" or they expect some to xfer out etc.

2. They DO NOT expect to be FORCED out because of a coaching change.

That is my point, you have a kid lets say he is a Redshirt Jr. he is 3rd string OT he is 8 hrs short of graduating, he will never see the field except for in mop up or scout team. He gets sent packing so Saban can squeeze in 1 more freshman to be.

That is what i am talking about so now this kid has to xfer to another school and either just pay for the remaining hours to get his degree if that is even possible considering how far along he is, and now instead of having a degree from the University of Alabama it is prolly from a much smaller and less prestigious school.

And i know it is not a 4 year contract, but you have to have at least a "serviceable" reason for canceling a contract, one other then " i didnt recruit you i know i have used you for these past few years, but now i am discarding you in favor of this person".

You know exactly what i am talking about if Saban could have canned half the team the day he stepped on campus he would have and started over fresh, instead he is systematically and unethically doing it.  It is called cutting corners to get results faster then the system should allow. That is why it takes 3 to 4 years to rebuild in college because the previous players finish up their degrees and go on with their lives while the new coaching staff replaces with their guys, they do not just kick guys out .  Generally this is done through playing time and or other means they dont just openly boot people.

311Hog

I wanted to add that maybe Saban and company do it the right way, and chose kids that can afford to stay and are willing to give up the schollie, or some other compromise. Maybe he will just cut kids with redshirt years still avail. or something else. The idea of whole sale cleaning of programs, be it big business or not to get "your guys" in place in a 4 year cyclical institution is unethical to me.

It would be like if in 2 years Petrino suddenly over signs by like 15 players and forces 3 to 7 of "Nutt's guys" to leave school even through they have contributed and worked as hard as they could.  Contracts maybe year to year, but there is some unwritten honor to the system or at least there was.

wholehog92

Sounds like some kids will get crapped on by Bammer.  I'm pretty sure we can use that.  I would like to know if the kid has to sit out for the year if his scholly is pulled as well.  I bet he does just going by the rest of NCAA rules.  Kids won't find out till spring semester has about started, it doesn't give a lot of time to look around anyways.  It's not like some coach is sitting out there going "I'm going to leave these spots open in case Lil' Nicky didn't do his math right."  As far as next year goes, if we are going against Bama for a recruit, I bet this comes up though as it should in the spurier case.  In fact SS hasn't been the all world recruiter over their like he was at FL, maybe that stunt hurt him.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

WBChogfan

I'd love to see Petrino and company bring holy judgment against the Evil One. :)

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: 311Hog on February 11, 2008, 05:27:49 pm

This part.

1. yes traditionally teams do over sign if they expect some not to "make it to campus" or they expect some to xfer out etc.

2. They DO NOT expect to be FORCED out because of a coaching change.

That is my point, you have a kid lets say he is a Redshirt Jr. he is 3rd string OT he is 8 hrs short of graduating, he will never see the field except for in mop up or scout team. He gets sent packing so Saban can squeeze in 1 more freshman to be.

That is what i am talking about so now this kid has to xfer to another school and either just pay for the remaining hours to get his degree if that is even possible considering how far along he is, and now instead of having a degree from the University of Alabama it is prolly from a much smaller and less prestigious school.

And i know it is not a 4 year contract, but you have to have at least a "serviceable" reason for canceling a contract, one other then " i didnt recruit you i know i have used you for these past few years, but now i am discarding you in favor of this person".

You know exactly what i am talking about if Saban could have canned half the team the day he stepped on campus he would have and started over fresh, instead he is systematically and unethically doing it.  It is called cutting corners to get results faster then the system should allow. That is why it takes 3 to 4 years to rebuild in college because the previous players finish up their degrees and go on with their lives while the new coaching staff replaces with their guys, they do not just kick guys out .  Generally this is done through playing time and or other means they dont just openly boot people.

I understand your concern here, but can someone show me the "wholesale" force out of Shula's recruits have begun, or are we just speculating because it's the evil Saban? 

Recruits may not expect to be forced out, but they should be prepared for such or go do something else.  They are essentially being paid to play a game at a university.  They are paid room, board, tuition, books, etc..., which I'll bet is a much better deal then 99% of the members on this board got or have.