Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

**ARKANSAS @ TENNESSEE: WHO WINS?

Started by mathhog, February 09, 2008, 07:24:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mathhog

TIME TO TAKE DOWN THE NEW #5 VOLS! (assuming they move up with the guys ahead of them losing!)

westtnVOL

Hey guys, just thought I would drop a few lines here. Its going to be a great game in K-town on wednesday, well if TN plays like they did on Saturday it will be a long night for the Vols and a great night for the hogs. This is going to be a very difficult game for the Vols as Arkansas is really starting to hit their stride after stumbling out of the gate. I figure this could be an upset cause the Hogs are loaded with talent, and if they can slow it down and pound it inside against Chism and Williams where they have a definant advantage they can go back with a W. Should be a great game. Good Luck guys

chiefsfan

One thing is for sure.  Kentucky fans everwhere will be practicing their Hog Call wednesday night
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Smithian

I think priority one for us to win is getting Townes going down low. If has a good game and he can score on the post consistently, I don't think Tenn can stop us.

Brewer and him were a big part of our comeback last time.

The Realist

Quote from: davril98 on February 09, 2008, 09:53:00 pm
first, TN is not the second toughest place to play in the conference.  maybe 8th toughest.
second, you can't put weems on lofton because you can't afford weems fouling out/being tired chasing him around.
Statistically it is the toughest place to play.  28 game win streak at home.  6 losses in last 3 years total.  I will say it is probably the loudest arena too. 22,000 fans who are experiencing an enthusiasm they have never seen before. 
Lofton doesn't exactly run around that much.  He has no problem taking shots with someone guarding him and just fake drive and step back for his shot.  Watch him for a full game and I would say he probably does the least amount of running out of the TN team.  Then again, Tennessee's half court offense is motion less and usually everyone is standing around until someone takes a jump shot or JP Prince slashes to the hole and either shoots (most likely) or passes. 
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

OrangeNinja

I admit, this game scares me a little.  Arkansas has the talent inside to do some real damage to my Vols.  Much of the reason the game against LSU was so close was because UT missed several gimmes around the basket due to LSU altering shots.  Arkansas is capable of the same.

One other thing that must be noted about the terrible performance against LSU is the fact that JaJuan Smith was getting over the flu, and was clearly not himself.  He didn't play much, and minus the game winner, he wasn't much of a factor.  We lose a lot in defense, shooting, play-making ability, and leadership when he is not in the game.  Jordan Howell was also getting over the flu.

I don't expect the sloppy play to continue.  They got a good scare from LSU, and Pearl will knock some sense into them.  Even without the sloppy play, Tennessee will have to bring it's "A" game to win.  I just hope the flu bug has passed them by for good. 

eathill5

I hope pel plays Britt on Lofton.  He is not an offensive threat but plays good defense and is quick enough to stay with him.  The biggest thing that scares me is finding lofton in transition.  That is his game they would rather him take a three on the break than a contested layup.  I think it will be a close game. Hogs win by 2.
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

Sow’sEar

I'll root like the dickens for the Hogs, but I predict:

Tenn:  86
Ark:    76

hview

We have a chance if we attack the inside from the very tip, continue to play as a team, play defense like crazy, minimize the turnovers, and attack the offensive boards with a vengence. We had better hit better than 50% of our free throws.  Then pray Tennessee has a an off night. :)

hview

I had forgotten about Britt. Now that's a thought, I believe that might be a smart move.

HotlantaHog

I think Hogs win. For some reason, Hogs play up to the opponent, and good reason to think they will give Vols their A game.

BrooklynRoss

We're going to have to play extremely physical and not allow open threes. If we pound it inside they'll have trouble stopping us. On the flip-side, I don't think they'll be able to bring it in the paint against us, but if they start hitting threes in transition we should be prepared to warm up the bus.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

The Realist

Emotion is gonna be a big one in this game.  When Florida was up on Tennessee, its because they were on another level mentally that Tennessee.  TN will let their guard down mentally and if we are up emotionally, we have a good shot.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

Dropkick

If we play a complete 40 minutes and don't take a possession off here and there on defense we have a good shot. If we play inconsistently we wil be roadkill.

Keyser Sooieze

I think we need to do what they did in 06.  Feed Townes!  Tenn is small and fast, right?  (I could be wrong about that, since I haven't paid much attention to opponents rosters and style of play, etc--)  If that is the case, why not just take advantage of the matchups and let Townes and Washington pound the glass all day?  I don't understand why we didn't try to do this with Auburn earlier in the year.  Perhaps that's where we see the weakness in playing Pel's style with Heath's people. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: westtnVOL on February 10, 2008, 11:52:38 pm
Hey guys, just thought I would drop a few lines here. Its going to be a great game in K-town on wednesday, well if TN plays like they did on Saturday it will be a long night for the Vols and a great night for the hogs. This is going to be a very difficult game for the Vols as Arkansas is really starting to hit their stride after stumbling out of the gate. I figure this could be an upset cause the Hogs are loaded with talent, and if they can slow it down and pound it inside against Chism and Williams where they have a definant advantage they can go back with a W. Should be a great game. Good Luck guys

wow
a couple UT fans that are not total a-holes?
dont see that every day.

will be tough for UA to pull this one out. UT is just on another level right now.

elksnort

How FEW of turnovers can we make in order to have a chance to win?

I say if we turnover 12 or less, we have a good chance to win.

Besides taking care of the ball, if we take advantage of our size down low, it gives a great chance for the upset.

40MINSOFHELL

mathhog

i STILL believe!  Hogs by 9!  84-75 !!!

The Boar War

I would love to see an all out up tempo fast break kind of game but in the end I think we would lose that type of game.  Barring a few players the basketball iq on this team is pretty low.  I say we slow it down and simplify each possession.  Limit the number of mistakes that can be made. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

eathill5

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 12, 2008, 04:08:44 pm
88-68 Hogs whip Vols

If you are right I will not sleep til everyone on the board has posted a +1. lol
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

CincyVol

Should be a good one.
I'm going:
Vols-80
Hogs-74

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: CincyVol on February 12, 2008, 04:21:43 pm
Should be a good one.
I'm going:
Vols-80
Hogs-74

of course you pick vols, your a vol fan, i hope you arent one of the ones that says ut has a better tradition than ark....but i think you will be sad after wed. night, your homecourt winning streak ends!

CincyVol

Just like you Arkansas fans pick the Hogs.
Tennessee doesn't have much of a rich men's basketball history but thats obvious.
Its mostly summed up by Coach Mears and his teams.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I'll take the vols by 5-7 points and hope Im wrong.

Just cannot take us on the road against a team like Tennessee. They are just on another level.
Their backcourt is very skilled and under control. Lofton is always tough for us to stop.

Darian Townes, Hunter, Thomas, Hill, Washington will have to bring their balls with them Wed night. They will need them. If we can control the inside game, we have a great chance to get the big W. Gotta control Lofton and cannot let him loose. Also JuJuan Smith is crazy good.

Can the hogs win it? Sure
They just cannot totally lose control of the basketball and cannot have any long scoring droughts.

Will be a good game and a big chance for us and we have absolutely nothing to lose.

Hoggish1

Quote from: mathhog on February 09, 2008, 07:24:09 pm
Arkansas blazing into Knoxville on a 3 game streak of big opponents, Tennessee going opposite, struggling on the road with a coachless LSU team.

Will Arkansas' big men take down the Vols for their first home loss, just like in 05? (see below)
Or will the vols beat Arkansas due to our poor shooting, just like in 06?

[youtube=425,350]h8bw8OkvapA[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8bw8OkvapA
CLICK TO SEE THE VOLS CHOKE AWAY A 14 POINT LEAD AS TOWNES BECOMES A MAN

What say you??

And that was 05 with Heath.  I say we do to them in 08 what we did in 05.  This is becoming Pel's team and when they fully understand that, the sky's the limit. 

Just don't take any flu bug with us out of town!  WPS

CurlyTail

Hogs-69
Vols- 78

I think TN is going to be too much for us to handle on the road. Hogs definitely have a shot for the upset, but we're going to have to take care of the basketball and hope that we can contain Lofton or that he has an off night. I just don't think our on-the-ball defenders and our perimeter defense in general is going to be able to slow down TN's backcourt. We will have a considerable advantage down low though and exploiting this will probably be our best chance to come away with the W. Our bigs are going to have to come to play; a typical Steven Hill-type effort is not going to cut it.

mathhog

fooman03

I'll say the hogs will win by 9, 85-76.

footballhog57

Same as the last four games. If we show up and play with the same intensity we will have a good chance of winning this game. The biggest key is rebounding. Lofton and Smith will make shots, but if we can limit them to one try we can win. We need to abuse Chism.

footballhog57

75-68. We polay good D. and make it lower scoring.

BradyHolzhauer

Arkansas 73-Tennessee 70
That's what I said on Sports Rap, anyway.
I predicted the MSSTATE win, the Florida win, and the Ole Miss win.
I'm on a roll!! :D
lol