Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Potential 2018 Starters

Started by redleg, December 15, 2017, 10:12:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on December 15, 2017, 11:21:32 am
SMU ran a 4-2-5 last year

That's very similar to what Kieth Burns ran here...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: colbs on December 15, 2017, 11:40:41 am
I tend to disagree about Curl.  He seemed to be a great fit at CB.
Not to me didn't have enough speed, and he doesn't seem to be very loose in the hips. I think he could thrive at safety.

lumphog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 11:39:23 am
Kelley cannot run, he can bumble... He.is.not.a.running.qb

I'll just say it is obvious that you guys are used to Bielema's way of handing the job to his next favorite guy. It won't be that way with Morris. Kelley will have to earn it.
Well.... he's not real fast & graceful but those LBs don't want no part of him. He's a HAMMER & there SHOULD be a package designed just for him. He's a weapon.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: 870rzrback on December 15, 2017, 11:25:39 pm
THIS. So tired of hearing he is a running QB. Just because Bert thought it was a good idea doesn't mean hes a running QB. And Morris doesn't need a running QB to run his offense. He's a "high school coach", meaning he is used to playing the cards he's dealt because you don't get to recruit on high school. He will play the best QB next year no matter what type of QB it is.

Thank you. I think he would prefer a dual threat QB. However, Ben Hicks is not a running QB. Hicks had a solid year for SMU last season.

GuvHog

December 16, 2017, 09:06:37 am #54 Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:31:19 am by GuvHog
Quote from: redleg on December 15, 2017, 10:12:54 am
OFFENSE:
QB - so. Cole Kelley 6'7" 265
RB - jr. Devwah Whaley 5'11" 220
WR - sr. Jared Cornelius 5'11" 200
WR - so. Jordan Jones 6'1" 190
WR - jr. Brandon Martin 6'4" 220
TE - sr. Jeremy Patton 6'5" 255
LT - jr. Colton Jackson 6'6" 305 ??
LG - sr. Hjalte Froholdt 6'5" 320
C - sr. Zach Rogers 6'2" 310
RG - sr. Johnny Gibson 6'4" 330
RT - sr. Brian Wallace 6'6" 335

DEFENSE:
DE - jr. McTelvin Agim 6'3" 285
DT - jr. Austin Capps 6'4" 310
DT - jr. T.J. Smith 6'3" 300
DE - jr. Jamario Bell 6'5" 255
SLB - sr. Randy Ramsey 6'4" 235
MLB - jr. De'Jon Harris 6'0" 245
WLB - sr. Dre Greenlaw 6'0" 230
LCB - jr. Ryan Pulley 5'11" 195
SS - sr. Santos Ramirez 6'2" 210
FS - so. Kamren Curl 6'1" 200
RCB - so. Chevin Calloway 5'10" 190

Feel free to add, subtract, or move any player. I feel Curl was out of position at CB, and is a more natural safety. I also would not be shocked if Froholdt is moved back to defensive tackle, and junior Jalen Merrick starts at LG. I also feel if Bell can get healthy and stay healthy, he has the talent to be a starting SEC defensive end, and be a good one! I am also not convinced that Jackson will start at LT.

Coach Morris stated a while back that he wants to run a 3 man defensive line like the Hogs are running now so that means either a 3-4 or a 3-3-5.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 11:06:49 am
Big assumption that Cole will start at QB...

Not really. He has the most experience on the team so it's highly likely that the job will be his to lose going into spring practice.

In 2013, Bielema made the mistake of starting a QB who wasn't ready over a veteran 5th year Senior QB and the Hogs paid a heavy price for that mistake.

FANONTHEHILL

I would wait until after spring practice to list any depth chart.  There will be attrition.  Grad transfers, conventional transfers, newcomers, etc.  No one on this roster has been in Morris' system and everyone will be evaluated.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 16, 2017, 08:08:20 am
Thank you. I think he would prefer a dual threat QB. However, Ben Hicks is not a running QB. Hicks had a solid year for SMU last season.

From what I've seen of SMU this season, it looks like the two things a QB must do for CCM are throw a good deep ball and make quick passes to the receivers.

A running threat at QB is all well and good, but he's clearly recruiting for the passer he needs first and foremost. As he stated of his QB this season, he was "fast enough."
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Snout team

I see Gragg getting a lot more PT.  He is the TE/Receiver type that fits really well here.  Good hands and faster than the ones who got the PT this year.  I hope he is hungry enough to make it happen.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

HossHog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 11:39:23 am
Kelley cannot run, he can bumble... He.is.not.a.running.qb

I'll just say it is obvious that you guys are used to Bielema's way of handing the job to his next favorite guy. It won't be that way with Morris. Kelley will have to earn it.
1) Kelley can run but he's not a running quarterback, that's 2 different things. I would feel confident with him running the ball on a 3rd and 7 to get the first down. He's obviously not abJalen Hurts it Manziel but he is capable of running. 2)Did Kelley not earn the spot when him and Story had the QB competition for second string?

Pumbaa

Don't know if it's been said but I don't think there is any way Curl starts at safety and not corner.

870rzrback

Quote from: GuvHog on December 16, 2017, 09:06:37 am
Coach Morris stated a while back that he wants to run a 3 man defensive line like the Hogs are running now so that means either a 3-4 or a 3-3-5.
Didn't see this but I hope it's true. Our personnel is a better fit now for the 3-4 than the 4-3. By next year with a good DC and position coach some of our younger LBs should be ready to contribute. Need one more NT that can heavily contribute so hopefully Ferrell commits and is ready to play next year. Between Bumper Pool, Dee Walker, LaFrance, Munson, and Morgan they should piece together a good 2 deep with our starters in the middle. OLB Bell and Richardson at the hog, could use another for depth but if necessary Ramsey could be 3rd option there and play some other guys at the razor. At the razor Ramsey starting and some younger guys like Baptiste, and Fisher or Munson and Henry backing him up. Not to mention we may recruit another OLB

My Opinion:

We will see a lot of 2 RB offense next season.  Lots of motion and both backs being able to catch and maybe even throw the ball.  I see Cole as a motion, slot player who can lug for a few yards or throw it for a lot but not as the featured QB.  After looking close at our talent, Morris may decide he will need to manufacture points and one way to do that is have two throwers in the backfield often.  Give those gold brand SEC defenses as much trouble as you can.  Two possible chunkers in the backfield could do that somewhat.  I don't know who will start at QB but I will be surprised if its Cole.  I also believe Hammonds will get the opportunity to show that he does not deserve to start or he will start in the slot or in the backfield.  Common sense says you don't leave the only real speed you got on the bench unless he has absolutely no other attributes to offer.

I believe this coach will actually know the quality of each player and he will place that player in the best position to be successful and help this team.  If that means putting Jackson at tailback and Hammonds at left tackle, thats what we will see.

I haven't heard a work about Bjohn Jackson.  He is still on the team, right???  I always believed the Kid had talent that had not been used.  Please help me here.

Hugo Bezdek

I suspect we'll see Kelley start at QB and, if Bohannon signs, we'll see see some packages just for him. That would be similar to how Deshaun Watson was worked into the lineup as a true freshman. I think Morris would prefer a dual threat QB, but throwing a true freshman to the wolves could be disastrous.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: colbs on December 15, 2017, 11:40:41 am
I tend to disagree about Curl.  He seemed to be a great fit at CB.
He's a good corner but I think he would be a great Safety.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hawginbigd1

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 16, 2017, 09:12:37 am
I would wait until after spring practice to list any depth chart.  There will be attrition.  Grad transfers, conventional transfers, newcomers, etc.  No one on this roster has been in Morris' system and everyone will be evaluated.
So FOTH is this supposition on your part or do you know for a fact that some players are leaning towards moving on? Not asking names or the like, just is there solid evidence some have a foot out the door?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: 870rzrback on December 16, 2017, 12:27:13 pm
Didn't see this but I hope it's true. Our personnel is a better fit now for the 3-4 than the 4-3. By next year with a good DC and position coach some of our younger LBs should be ready to contribute. Need one more NT that can heavily contribute so hopefully Ferrell commits and is ready to play next year. Between Bumper Pool, Dee Walker, LaFrance, Munson, and Morgan they should piece together a good 2 deep with our starters in the middle. OLB Bell and Richardson at the hog, could use another for depth but if necessary Ramsey could be 3rd option there and play some other guys at the razor. At the razor Ramsey starting and some younger guys like Baptiste, and Fisher or Munson and Henry backing him up. Not to mention we may recruit another OLB
Guv heard what he wanted I guess, CCM said we would be multiple meaning both 3and 4 man fronts, I suspect based on the roster we will favor a 3 man front, but that's just a logical guess, and my hope as well.

870rzrback

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 16, 2017, 02:00:16 pm
Guv heard what he wanted I guess, CCM said we would be multiple meaning both 3and 4 man fronts, I suspect based on the roster we will favor a 3 man front, but that's just a logical guess, and my hope as well.
Multiple is what I heard too. I like the 3 man front with the defensive linemen we have.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 16, 2017, 02:00:16 pm

Actually what he said is he primarily wants to run the odd (3 man) front but wants to be able to switch to a 4 man front every once in a while which is as you say, being multiple.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: IronHog on December 15, 2017, 09:56:52 pm

Matt Jones coulda won the Heisman but had the work ethic of a beach bum

He'd pull some great plays out of nowhere but couldn't perform a simple 5 step drop.  NFL was foolish to draft him so high
if memory serves, and it does, the Jaguars did not draft him to perform a simple 5 step drop...Matt was not your workaholic, I'll give you that but the QB's he had to work with at JAX were horrible...so goes the game of life....but tell me a better athlete on that Hog team the years Matt played for the Hogs....and I agree, what could have been and I'm sure Matt has to live with that every day of his life now
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

lakecityhog

We will have to be multiple in our D sets because of the different offenses that we will face. LSU, Miss St. and Bama will line up and run POWER right at you if you cannot hold point at the LOS. Ole Miss, Texas A&M and Missouri will spread the field and throw the ball so pass rush and coverage will be important.

playamade76

It's a clean sleigh. I can see several transfers after spring. TE is a position that the numbers will get slashed. I also believe he's happy with the backs because he hasn't recruited any so far.

Pigstie

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on December 16, 2017, 09:12:37 am
You stated last  month that after the coaching change you would give your input on things you were made aware of that you couldn't discuss at the time. Can you discuss now?
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

texas tush hog

Our starting quarterback could be at Earle high school.

HawgTide

Quote from: redleg on December 15, 2017, 11:27:13 am
Depth will be a key to Arkansas' success in 2018 and the future.
Who will back up Kelley? I can see Ty Storey transferring. That leaves Hyatt, Noland, and hopefully Bohanon.
At RB, I would look for a strong rotation between one and two back sets with Whaley, Maleek Williams, Hayden, and Hammonds. Hayden and Hammonds could end up being major game-changers for the Hogs!
I think we will see several receivers, but there will be a core unit consisting of Cornelius, Jones, Martin, Nance, and Stewart. But others will get involved, to include Barnes, Koilan Jackson, Boateng, Warren, and a couple of freshmen (Woods).
At TE I look for Patton to thrive, but I think Cantrell will be a rock solid blocking TE. My hope is that O'Grady will continue to develop, and hopefully Gragg will eventually come into his own, because so far he has done zero.
The O-Line is in flux. I think the best bets to start right now are Rogers at center, and Wallace at RT. Gibson may not have the pulling speed to start, Froholdt might end up back at DT, and I am just not 100% sold on Jackson at LT right now. Clary, with improved strength, might earn a guard spot. I will not be surprised if Merrick, Heinrich, Clenin, or Wagner become starters as well.
On defense, I think the Hogs look pretty good on the D-Line. Agim is set up to become an All-SEC player, Bell will hopefully turn things around, and Capps and Smith look strong inside. Watts, Marshall, and hopefully Gooden should shore up the tackle positions (this will be even more true if Froholdt moves back to defense). Behind Agim and Bell, look for Richardson, Guidry and Hall, but Morris will need to sign a couple more DEs.
Linebackers seem to abound on the roster, but behind the starters are there any with real talent? Dee Walker and Derrick Munson might be the heir-apparents to the WLB position behind Greenlaw. Look for Grant Morgan, Giovanni LaFrance, and maybe even Bumper Pool behind Harris at MLB. Ramsey has great size and good speed at SLB, but behind him is a big question mark. Maybe Hayden Henry or Alexy Jean-Baptiste will provide depth, I just don't know.
The secondary does actually have some talent and speed, I just don't think the previous staff got it on the field, nor did they coach them properly (but what do I know, I'm not a football coach!). Pulley will return from his injury and will start. I see Curl moving to FS and competing with Montaric Brown for the starting job there. Calloway is the next best CB on the team after Pulley. Ramirez is the journeyman at SS. Behind Pulley and Calloway I see Tutt, Curtis, McClellion, and LaDarrius Bishop. At safety behind Ramirez and Curl/Brown ... Micah Smith, Edwards, Hernandez, and Sean Michael Flanagan.

Sorry, I quit reading when you said Froholdt back to DT

010HogFan

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 15, 2017, 09:01:48 pm
I'm still not sold on Hammonds. I don't see any player on the list except maybe Whaley that can run between the tackles. Hammonds had a tendency like Wingo to bounce outside. On his last several runs teams had figured that out. If he can catch a pass he may work out in the slot.

Thanks for the input, Bret.

If you aren't sold on Hammonds you paid even less attention than I did this year.

Warrior Way 22

I like it. His offense is so different from a normal offense that it's really hard to tell who will start because we don't even really know what positions start. Will he start 5 wide, will he start 2 backs, will he start a TE etc. That guess was as good as any I've seen though. I do think that Morris said the Hogs will be in an odd front though...more than likely a 3-4 so that will probably put Ferril in the mix as well
"Warriors should suffer their pain silently."

deedster84

RB order: Whaley, Hayden, then Hammonds. This system fits Whaley better than you might think. He'll get his 1000 yds this year. Hayden is better than Hammonds. I can see CCM using Hammonds as RB quite a bit when they motion to empty out the backfield.

GuvHog

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 18, 2017, 01:24:50 pm
Thanks for the input, Bret.

If you aren't sold on Hammonds you paid even less attention than I did this year.

Hammonds reminds me of Felix Jones. He isn't going to do a lot of damage running between the Tackles but he's deadly when he gets out into open space.

Fade Away

I think Kelly will thrive in this system. If the guys buy in, and put in the work, we will put up some points up. We will be in much better condition, CCM teams run a lot, all season, to be able to keep the "hammer down".

Pig in the Pokey

ikr?

Hyatt or Noland is just as likely.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

HillBillyHogfan

Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan