Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jucos Returning

Started by thehill1414, March 19, 2017, 09:44:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

thehill1414

Dudley just posted an article and Barford was quoted at the end of it.

"I guess it's good we showed the entire country what we were all about," Barford said. "We have a lot returning, and we will be back next year."

Sounds like Macon and Barford both will be returning. Thank goodness.

WorfHog

JUCO's take half a year to get going and very few leave early.

onebadrubi

Those comments are made an extremely emotional time.  We've seen comments like that made before and decisions changed later.  Give it time, but we all hope they return.

factchecker

When is the deadline to declare?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

thehill1414

Macon apparently would not comment on the question of whether he is returning. Agreed that it is an emotional reaction, but sure hope they return!

Youngsta71701

It would be a mistake if either one of them left. Would be some bad advice from someone.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

The_Iceman

Quote from: thehill1414 on March 19, 2017, 09:49:40 pm
Macon apparently would not comment on the question of whether he is returning. Agreed that it is an emotional reaction, but sure hope they return!

Where the hell is he gonna go?

Hollywood_HOGan45

TebowHater

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 19, 2017, 09:48:02 pm
Those comments are made an extremely emotional time.  We've seen comments like that made before and decisions changed later.  Give it time, but we all hope they return.

Correct, even BP said he was staying in the post game PC after last UNC loss.

Quote from: thehill1414 on March 19, 2017, 09:49:40 pm

Yikes.

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 19, 2017, 09:52:05 pm
Our fans do this every year with any decent player for some reason. Macon has absolutely no chance of being drafted. He will not even be invited to the combine. Solid college player with room to grow into a potential 2nd round pick. If he wants to make a living overseas then he can leave and do just that. If his goal is to make the NBA like he has stated many times, then he is staying to work on his game. There is zero reason to believe he or Barford are leaving.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: TebowHater on March 19, 2017, 09:53:30 pm

Yikes.
Neither one of these guys would be a first round pick. Would be lucky to get drafted...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

jry04

Quote from: TebowHater on March 19, 2017, 09:53:30 pm

Yikes.
BP was also projected a first round draft pick from day 1 of his second season.

dhizzle

People do crazy things. They should return, but Europe pays pretty good. I hope they know they are not going  nba. We need players to stick around to do anything worth a damn in the tournament.

The_Bionic_Pig

They are going to summit their names without signing with a agent to be evaluated. 

99.9999% chance of a return
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawg Red

We will indeed have to sweat Macon and Barford out until it's official they are returning or leaving. Remember, players are now allowed to enter the draft and truly get evaluated now, so do not be surprised if one or both enter to get feedback like Moses did. But I feel like, in year's past, we usually had a good idea if a guy was going to leave early. We knew with B.J. and Marshawn. Beverley was an academic issue. I honestly don't remember if there was an intution on Olu or Fortson. Qualls was somewhat of a surprise, though there were rumblings that he was considering going pro for family reasons after his sophomore year.

RaisinHog

Guys .. with the new system where guys can go for evaluation we will see much less of guys makeing bad decisions like bj young and qualls and Scotty did..

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 19, 2017, 10:01:08 pm
They are going to summit their names without signing with a agent to be evaluated. 

This is good. If we return everyone next year will be fun.

onebadrubi

Odds are we lose one, just always been that way

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 19, 2017, 10:02:05 pm
We will indeed have to sweat Macon and Barford out until it's official they are returning or leaving. Remember, players are now allowed to enter the draft and truly get evaluated now, so do not be surprised if one or both enter to get feedback like Moses did. But I feel like, in year's past, we usually had a good idea if a guy was going to leave early. We knew with B.J. and Marshawn. Beverley was an academic issue. I honestly don't remember if there was an intution on Olu or Fortson. Qualls was somewhat of a surprise, though there were rumblings that he was considering going pro for family reasons after his sophomore year.
When neither get a combine invite, we will know they are returning for sure.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: jry04 on March 19, 2017, 09:54:09 pm
Our fans do this every year with any decent player for some reason. Macon has absolutely no chance of being drafted. He will not even be invited to the combine. Solid college player with room to grow into a potential 2nd round pick. If he wants to make a living overseas then he can leave and do just that. If his goal is to make the NBA like he has stated many times, then he is staying to work on his game. There is zero reason to believe he or Barford are leaving.

But it's Arkansas basketball. We have had several guys make terrible decisions. Portis is the only one who had a legit NBA reason.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 19, 2017, 10:04:37 pm

If that one listens to a relative instead of NBA reps/trainer's
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 19, 2017, 10:01:08 pm

Yeah this is what I was thinking.  Mo did the same thing last year.  Find out where you fall, what you might need to improve on.

Do think it's not a great time to ask kids these questions.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

MtPorker

they may leave, but neither will be drafted. 

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 19, 2017, 09:52:05 pm

Didn't even make all SEC first or second team. I don't think our fans watch the games or NBA level talent.

RaisinHog

IL put it this way if they do leave .. they will do so knowing they are most likely going over seas and I can't see either of them not being more competitive than that !

woo.pig

NBA is not the only pro league. You can make a heck of a living playing over seas.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: thehill1414 on March 19, 2017, 09:44:49 pm

"I guess it's good we showed the entire country what we were all about," Barford said. "We have a lot returning, and we will be back next year."

Would be a real bummer if one or both left.

jry04

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on March 19, 2017, 10:06:38 pm
But it's Arkansas basketball. We have had several guys make terrible decisions. Portis is the only one who had a legit NBA reason.
The other guys also did not have the ability to apply for the combine, participate in the combine, and then stay or withdraw based on the feedback. They may be content with playing overseas. My guess is they both want to be drafted, though.

Wooderson

They both can make more money overseas than their degree will ever bring them.  With Barford's play the last month and a half he will get drafted second round.  Gone.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

mbgrulz

Quote from: Wooderson on March 19, 2017, 10:31:31 pm
They both can make more money overseas than their degree will ever bring them.  With Barford's play the last month and a half he will get drafted second round.  Gone.
They could...but if their goal is the NBA (and big boy $) they should stay in school.

jry04

You do not watch much college basketball outside of Arkansas, or the NBA if you think Barford is a lock to get drafted in the 2nd round. They are both so far off the radar as of now that neither are projected to get drafted next year. Moses is currently projected a late 2nd rounder.

Wooderson

Give me liberty, or give me death!

ShadowHawg

Hardly. They will evaluate him before they just draft a guy based on a few weeks of play.

jry04

Quote from: Wooderson on March 19, 2017, 10:36:12 pm
Save my post.
Gladly. He has 2 options, and only 2 options. Stay and work his way into the draft next year, or leave and play overseas after going undrafted.

HogFoo

They could both go overseas and make a great living and who knows, didn't patrick beverly go overseas before making his triumphant return to the NBA?  I think Macon comes back, and Barford is gone .  I believe he has a little baby to provide for.  Same with Qualls. Thats why he left and i dont think it was academics with Beverly when he left back in the day, he too also had a child on the way if i remember correctly.  Lot's that know they dont have  a NBA game but can still make a good paycheck will do just that especially if they have a kid.  I cant blame them either.  If they want to go to spain or europ somewhere and make 100,000 a year +  while playing a game.   Must be nice.   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Letsroll1200

Quote from: HogFoo on March 19, 2017, 10:39:53 pm
They could both go overseas and make a great living and who knows, didn't patrick beverly go overseas before making his triumphant return to the NBA?  I think Macon comes back, and Barford is gone .  I believe he has a little baby to provide for.  Same with Qualls. Thats why he left and i dont think it was academics with Beverly when he left back in the day, he too also had a child on the way if i remember correctly.  Lot's that know they dont have  a NBA game but can still make a good paycheck will do just that especially if they have a kid.  I cant blame them either.  If they want to go to spain or europ somewhere and make 100,000 a year +  while playing a game.   Must be nice.

He had a child before coming to Arkansas

HogFoo

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 19, 2017, 10:36:33 pm
Hardly. They will evaluate him before they just draft a guy based on a few weeks of play.
Barford was the top scorer in Juco ranks before coming to the UA and then midseason he started to show glimpses of that same scoring ability.  I dont think it's enough to make an NBA team use a pick on him, but , it is good enough to make a euro team pay several 100k for his talents.   And he does have a child to provide for.  So, that may look like a good option for him.  I think if he and Macon both stayed that next year they both would be preseason all SEC.  And i think both would be great players next year.  We'll just have to wait and see.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

jry04

Quote from: HogFoo on March 19, 2017, 10:39:53 pm
PBev was suspended for a full season so he left. Qualls was early 2nd, with potential for late 1st with a good combine showing. Barford's kid survived a year with him playing, so I am sure one more year will be alright. If he leaves I will not blame him. The only thing I am saying with 100% certainty is he will not be drafted. No chance. Anyone who says he will is a homer. I had this same argument with half the board last year about Moses and nailed it. I will nail it this year, too, although it doesn't take much more than common sense to know neither will be drafted.

ShadowHawg

Qualls wasn't leaving if he could only go over seas.

Hawg Red

Quote from: woo.pig on March 19, 2017, 10:27:32 pm
NBA is not the only pro league. You can make a heck of a living playing over seas.

Or you can get stuck playing for a team whose game checks bounce or they just don't pay you (this really happens). There are basketball teams/leagues all over the world but many leagues or teams are prettt sketchy.

RaisinHog

As far as haveing a kid goes .. the kid isn't a lil baby he has provided for them this long it can wait another year .. idk if they will come back or not .. but there is honestly little reason to believe they want return ...

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: RaisinHog on March 19, 2017, 10:47:16 pm
As far as haveing a kid goes .. the kid isn't a lil baby he has provided for them this long it can wait another year .. idk if they will come back or not .. but there is honestly little reason to believe they want return ...

Other than them talking about being one and done in the preseason.

moses_007

I don't see any player on this team making it in the NBA.  Moses might be drafted, but I highly doubt he can cut it.

ChicoHog

Quote from: woo.pig on March 19, 2017, 10:27:32 pm
Exactly.  Many guys just don't want to go to school.  They would rather play basketball anywhere they can, get paid and not go to class.  I have no idea where Macon and Barford stand on their schooling, if they want to graduate or not, but for many kids it's more important for them to make money because they think short term instead of long term.  Let's hope they get good advice to come back next season. 

factchecker

IF you want them to stay then do whatever you can to lift them up.  They are hurting right now.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

moses_007

Quote from: factchecker on March 19, 2017, 11:06:13 pm

IF you want them to stay then do whatever you can to lift them up.  They are hurting right now.
We hurt right along with them.  Sad night for our team and our fans.  We were so close.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 19, 2017, 10:04:37 pm
good thing Macon get Barford to come here and now Barford is gonna keep Macon here
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 19, 2017, 10:47:11 pm
Or you can get stuck playing for a team whose game checks bounce or they just don't pay you (this really happens). There are basketball teams/leagues all over the world but many leagues or teams are prettt sketchy.

To my point:

https://twitter.com/IAmDPick/status/843724335458258944

The Boar War

Quote from: thehill1414 on March 19, 2017, 09:44:49 pm

We doesn't always mean that he will actually suit up for the Razorbacks next year.  It may be that he just sees himself as a part of the bigger whole.  For example if Macon said this:

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on March 19, 2017, 10:02:46 pm
This is good. If we return everyone next year will be fun.

you might assume that Daryl is definitely on the team next year and is hoping that others are going to stay as well.  I'm just going to go ahead and guess that Hollywood_HOGan45 isn't a current player or a recruit (not making fun of the poster I refer to the Hogs as we all the time).

Arthur pigby sellers.

I think the euro league pays between $60 to just over $100 k per year. Qualls is in Israel so I assume he is making quite a bit less. Minimum NBA salary in high $600's, so I year in the NBA is equal to a career in Europe. Playing bball is fun but I'm not sure making $30-40k to play in Israel or Turkey is really better then getting a college degree. If I was in that spot it's a no brainer to stay in school work hard get a degree and go for the NBA,  if I didn't have a child at that age either.