Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Georgia's Advantage

Started by lrar1974, September 08, 2010, 11:46:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lrar1974

I know we play some team from northern Louisiana this week. The team has to worry about them, I don't.. So I'm moving on.

I've seen a lot of sentiment that we will beat Georgia and that it might not be a struggle to do it. I couldn't disagree more...

I feel they will have a significant advantage over the Hogs in this game besides it being in Athens. Georgia is about to play SC in a very charged atmosphere. It's going to played at a speed that Arkansas hasn't played at since LSU back in November '09. I think this could have a significant impact in Georgia's favor especially in the first half.

Also, what would be better for Arkansas? A Georgia win this week or a loss?

leftymgp

That is a good point.  But at the same time they might be a little more used up after that game.

I say a Georgia win is better.  That'll put them ranked higher when we face them.  SC would eventually blow it later in the season anyway, so I doubt they'd be ranked by the time we got to them.

jkstock04

Georgia winning in a close one would be best...optimal would be Georgia winning in a double overtime or something along those lines. 

I agree that Georgia will be more 'battle' tested if you will...but our defense still needs to build some confidence.  Honestly, simply for the sake of our defense, I would rather see us playing a team like ULM vs a SEC team because I don't think we are there yet mentally.  We need another dominating performance by the defense before heading into Georgia to face them....we shut ULM down, get a couple of turnovers, minimal mistakes, good special teams...beat them something like 56-6...I will feel confident when we head into Georgia. 

We haven't beat them since freaking '93!!  That is absolutely pathetic  It's time to stop the losing tradition and start a new one.  We can't be doormats for these top teir SEC teams year in and year out.  It's time for this team to man up and do something about it...they have taken their licks the past couple of years...it's time for the hard work to pay off...this is our year, it's gotta be.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

peevedpaul

I believe you are right. Georgia is playing a tough SC team with a mobile QB in Garcia. After a weak of spying the QB and playing on the road, I see Georgia coming home and releasing the dawgs (no pun intended) with CB and LB blitzes until Mallett proves his mettle. IMO, Mallett has yet to prove that he can handle quick reads on the road. He did a pretty good job against LSU, but we still lost (not intending to start a debate about officiating).

Win or lose Georgia will be up for this game. The loss of AJ Green does help make them more 1 dimensional, but I'm sure they have plenty of talent and speed at the WR position. Look for the Hogs to win 27-24.

lrar1974

Quote from: leftymgp on September 08, 2010, 11:54:09 pm
That is a good point.  But at the same time they might be a little more used up after that game.

I say a Georgia win is better.  That'll put them ranked higher when we face them.  SC would eventually blow it later in the season anyway, so I doubt they'd be ranked by the time we got to them.
I think a Georgia win is better for us as well. Not so much for ranking reasons, because if we take care of business in this league the ratings will take care of themselves. But because Georgia will be in a must win desperate situation if they lose.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

September 08, 2010, 11:59:54 pm #5 Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:01:41 am by gguillo
I don't think anyone is looking past UGA, and certainly no one thinks we will beat UGA handily... they're Georgia.  They are one of the top programs in the NCAA.  They recruit in the top 10 every year, they have a great coach, home field advantage, and not to mention we've only beaten them 1 time since joining the SEC.  Wether they win or lose this weekend.  You can guarantee we will be the underdogs in Athens.

To answer the question if it's better for UGA to win or lose... WIN!  If they lose this week at South Carolina then we better play a perfect game against UGA to beat them.  They will be fired up to do whatever it takes to not lose their first 2 SEC games, especially their home opener in SEC play.

Shag66

I haven't heard many say that the Georgia game won't be a struggle...

In my opinion the Georgia game is the key game we will play all season.

They may have an advantage by facing SC but if they lose that game will they still have an advantage?  It is going to be a tough game even without Green, but I think the Hogs will pull it out in a close contest.  I'd have rather played a tougher team leading up to Georgia, but if we win that one we are going to be primed for playing Bama...

lrar1974

Quote from: gguillo on September 08, 2010, 11:59:54 pm
I don't think anyone is looking past UGA, and certainly no one thinks we will beat UGA handily... they're Georgia.  They are one of the top programs in the NCAA.  They recruit in the top 10 every year, they have a great coach, home field advantage, and not to mention we've only beaten them 1 time since joining the SEC.  Wether they win or lose this weekend.  You can guarantee we will be the underdogs in Athens.

To answer the question if it's better for UGA to win or lose... WIN!  If they lose this week at South Carolina then we better play a perfect game against UGA to beat them.  They will be fired up to do whatever it takes to not lose their first 2 SEC games, especially their home opener in SEC play.
I've seen several comments to the effect that we will beat Georgia by two scores etc.. That's what prompted my subject.. But I'm glad you have a rational take on the game. It's going to be a tough one. I'd take playing like crap and winning by 1 right now..

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lrar1974 on September 08, 2010, 11:46:01 pm
I know we play some team from northern Louisiana this week. The team has to worry about them, I don't.. So I'm moving on.

I've seen a lot of sentiment that we will beat Georgia and that it might not be a struggle to do it. I couldn't disagree more...

I feel they will have a significant advantage over the Hogs in this game besides it being in Athens. Georgia is about to play SC in a very charged atmosphere. It's going to played at a speed that Arkansas hasn't played at since LSU back in November '09. I think this could have a significant impact in Georgia's favor especially in the first half.

Also, what would be better for Arkansas? A Georgia win this week or a loss?

Yes Georgia will have the advantage of an SEC game under their belt and at an "away" venue, and yes it would be better for us if they beat S. Carolina...which I think they will. But let's keep in mind that both of these teams had blowout victories over lesser teams and in doing so, neither of their victories were completely impressive aside from the score.

Georgia only generated 377 yards of offense and threw a pick vs. La.-Lafayette. Their defense is what won the game against an anemic offense that never even entered their red zone and only generated 114 yards while throwing 3 picks.

S. Carolina looked impressive against S. Miss. generating 449 yards of total offense while throwing 1 pick. But that vaunted S. Carolina defense also gave up 404 yards to S. Miss., 337 of which was through the air, while S. Miss turned the ball over twice with 1 INT and 1 fumble.

Yes, first game and both teams should improve in their second games, but I think Georgia does wind up beating S. Carolina. S. Carolina isn't going to be facing a defense that is going to give up 449 yards and if Georgia's new QB can keep his head in the face of more difficult SEC level defensive schemes, I think they have enough talent around him to beat USC(E) in Columbia.

Georgia will be a key test for us. We'll see just how good both of these teams are this weekend.
Go Hogs Go!

razorsharptusk

Every team will line up and the sole objective will be to get after Ryan.  Alabama was very successful at this last year and so went the game. The O line is under the scope here as far as making our offense balanced with pass and run.  These defenses will come after the head of the snake, bank it.  I hope we have an answer.
GO HOGS!!

bosshog84

Losing Green hurts Georgia really bad for the next 3 games because they will not be able to stretch the field near as well.  However, I still hope they beat SCar because it will be tough for them to lose 2 in a row, especially at home.  It will be our first road trip of the year, and we all know how we've played on the road the last few years.  It will be a hard fought game and I don't have a good feeling about it, but I really hope I'm wrong.

TNRazorbacker

I haven't heard much talk that Georgia wouldn't be a struggle. I have seen a lot that suggests there are a good number of people that think if we beat Georgia and Alabama the rest of the season will be a cake walk, which is ridiculous to anyone that has followed SEC football longer than five minutes.

I do think that Georgia and Bama are the two best teams on the schedule. However, I also think that beating Georgia and Alabama will make it more likely for us to drop one or more games later. No games come easy in the SEC. The Hogs are capable of winning them all this year, but they'll have to show up for every game in order to do it. 

elksnort

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 08, 2010, 11:54:19 pm
Georgia winning in a close one would be best...optimal would be Georgia winning in a double overtime or something along those lines. 

I agree that Georgia will be more 'battle' tested if you will...but our defense still needs to build some confidence.  Honestly, simply for the sake of our defense, I would rather see us playing a team like ULM vs a SEC team because I don't think we are there yet mentally.  We need another dominating performance by the defense before heading into Georgia to face them....we shut ULM down, get a couple of turnovers, minimal mistakes, good special teams...beat them something like 56-6...I will feel confident when we head into Georgia. 

We haven't beat them since freaking '93!!  That is absolutely pathetic  It's time to stop the losing tradition and start a new one.  We can't be doormats for these top teir SEC teams year in and year out.  It's time for this team to man up and do something about it...they have taken their licks the past couple of years...it's time for the hard work to pay off...this is our year, it's gotta be.
It IS time that the Razorbacks beat a good Eastern division team on the road. When is the last time? If the Hogs are really what we think they are supposed to be, then they will some how leave Athens with a victory next Saturday. Home filed advantage is overrated in college football. Several years ago Georgia was all hyped up with their "black out" and all, then Bama handed their a$$ to them. The Razorbacks have lost plenty of games in Fayetteville. If the Hogs are better than Georgia, then they need to prove it. I am ready to see it.

DeltaBoy

The Dawgs advanage it their Homer Zebras down tween the Hedges.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

elksnort

In spite of the SEC referees, the Hogs need to beat UGA in Athens next Saturday. If we (the Razorbacks) are really 'all that' then it's time to show it. I am sick and tired of my hogs losing to Georgia and Florida.

Aren't you all?

want2be

Quote from: elksnort on September 09, 2010, 09:29:51 am
It IS time that the Razorbacks beat a good Eastern division team on the road. When is the last time? If the Hogs are really what we think they are supposed to be, then they will some how leave Athens with a victory next Saturday. Home filed advantage is overrated in college football. Several years ago Georgia was all hyped up with their "black out" and all, then Bama handed their a$$ to them. The Razorbacks have lost plenty of games in Fayetteville. If the Hogs are better than Georgia, then they need to prove it. I am ready to see it.

Petrino and Robinson aren't having to show much in our first 2 games which could be a big advantage. You can bet they have Ga. in their sites and have saved plenty of packages to insure the element of surprise. Willie is going to blitz more this year. We will get to see how their new QB holds up against a solid SC Defense.

I think Mallett has mastered his check downs with good touch on the ball. Although I am still concerned about our Oline play......Petrino will figure a way to up enough points to put pressure on Ga.

Their excellent special teams play and our improved special teams play could be the difference in this game.

Pig in the Pokey

I TOTALLY disagree with the whole I hope Georgia wins a close game. Hell No!!! That just magnifies the OP's point. It would be best, imho, if it were a BLOWOUT. Either way, Georgia either gets the "big head" or the are demoralized. Either way, we would be better served to catch them on some sort of "tilt" than to catch them freshly battle tested. They aren't going to be REALLY worn down either way. We play them in game three, they will be plenty rested. At least they aren't playing tonight which would give them an extra 2 days rest.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Quote from: Pig in the Poke on September 09, 2010, 10:58:25 am
I TOTALLY disagree with the whole I hope Georgia wins a close game. Hell No!!! That just magnifies the OP's point. It would be best, imho, if it were a BLOWOUT. Either way, Georgia either gets the "big head" or the are demoralized. Either way, we would be better served to catch them on some sort of "tilt" than to catch them freshly battle tested. They aren't going to be REALLY worn down either way. We play them in game three, they will be plenty rested. At least they aren't playing tonight which would give them an extra 2 days rest.

We had this exact conversation before our game with them last year. I don't think it matters honestly. Last year they won a close game at home against USC 41-37, which is what we wanted. Well, it didn't turn out the next week like we planned.

HOGPICKER

ULM is good enough.  Injuries don't just happen in conference games. I got a feeling UGA is going to take some knocks against SC's D.  That doesn't necessarily make you better.  It will show us how their frosh QB handles pressure.  Personally, I hope SC is easy on him, and gets really lit up his first time when he meets Leon.   
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."  Joe Theismann

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: AmaurosisHogax on September 09, 2010, 11:10:55 am

We had this exact conversation before our game with them last year. I don't think it matters honestly. Last year they won a close game at home against USC 41-37, which is what we wanted. Well, it didn't turn out the next week like we planned.
not what I wanted. As you can see, they were battle tested and made a huge comeback and closed with poise. If they had been crushed OR whooped the shite out of SC the week before, I truly believe they would have folded up after the start we had.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

GuvHog

As much as I'd like to see the Bulldogs win this one, I just don't see it happening. Not having A.J. Green will really hamper Georgia's passing attack not to mention they are still getting used to running their new 3-4 defense while on the other hand South Carolina's QB is playing well and their defense is as allways, Good. SC +10.

P.S. The game is in Columbia, another advantage for South Carolina.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ATLHog

It doesn't matter who does what against Louisiana or South Carolina. The game in Athens is going to be extremely tough. The atmosphere, the speed, the Bulldogs run the ball very well, they have a good defense, they have those 90,000 crazies pumping them up every play. Just can't let it define the season- win or lose.

litmachog

Quote from: want2be on September 09, 2010, 10:51:31 am

Petrino and Robinson aren't having to show much in our first 2 games which could be a big advantage.

On the other side of the coin, Georgia won't hold anything back.  Petrino will see it all from Georgia so they can prepare it all while Georgia still won't have seen it all from Petrino.  e.g. the Pistol in its full use.

elksnort

Good post, Want2be.

You know, I really don't care what Georgia does this week either. And I also don't care whether A.J. Green plays or not. I want for the Razorbacks to go into Athens and beat Georgia straight up! Mallett just needs to calm his a$$ down and don't overthrow. I'd also love to see the kickoffs kicked like last Saturday night. And I truely believe that our defense will not give up as many as points against them as last year.

Do we beat Georgia, if we only give up 21 points?

I think that we do.

elksnort

I've said this so many times.

We've got to run the dadgum football more efficiently, deliberately, and purposefully. We seem to have four very good running backs with size and speed. Why can't we line up and run the darn thing. THEN, play action and burn teams for very long pass plays.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 09, 2010, 11:40:38 am
As much as I'd like to see the Bulldogs win this one, I just don't see it happening. Not having A.J. Green will really hamper Georgia's passing attack not to mention they are still getting used to running their new 3-4 defense while on the other hand South Carolina's QB is playing well and their defense is as allways, Good. SC +10.

P.S. The game is in Columbia, another advantage for South Carolina.

S.C. played in Columbia last weekend and their defense, IN Columbia, gave up 404 total yards(337 through the air) to S. Miss. Both of these teams may limit one another's rushing offense, but Georgia will limit S. Carolina's passing offense and if Georgia's young QB can stay calm and manage the game and not give the ball away, he will complete some passes against what appears to be a less than dominant S.C. Secondary. We are gonna find out here pretty quick whether or not S.C. will be a factor in the East race.
Go Hogs Go!

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Ar_Hog on September 09, 2010, 02:57:37 pm
Call me crazy, but if Mallett can't get it done in Athens early, I think you'll see B. Mitchell and the shot formation. I really believe this is the wild card to win some big SEC games.

This Saturday against ULM, Mallett will get some pressure, it'll be interesting to see how he's elevated his game with check downs and getting rid of the ball faster.

Crazy!! Mallett will play the whole game unless Hogs are winning in a blowout or he is injured or shaken up.

want2be

Quote from: elksnort on September 09, 2010, 03:02:50 pm
I've said this so many times.

We've got to run the dadgum football more efficiently, deliberately, and purposefully. We seem to have four very good running backs with size and speed. Why can't we line up and run the darn thing. THEN, play action and burn teams for very long pass plays.

I know Petrino has forgotten more than I know....But having been a running back it is sometimes difficult to come it for one series and make an impact. There are alot of backs that gain momentum as they "lather up".......I would like to see Davis as the thunder and Johnson as the lightning, but Petrino has several reasons for keeping the rotation with all four.

I thought the addition of Coach K would make a big difference with the Oline, but I did not see that much improvement last week.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: want2be on September 09, 2010, 03:13:08 pm

I know Petrino has forgotten more than I know....But having been a running back it is sometimes difficult to come it for one series and make an impact. There are alot of backs that gain momentum as they "lather up".......I would like to see Davis as the thunder and Johnson as the lightning, but Petrino has several reasons for keeping the rotation with all four.

I thought the addition of Coach K would make a big difference with the Oline, but I did not see that much improvement last week.

I think that when he sees one or two begin to separate themselves from the rest in terms of performance, you may see mor eof what you are looking for. Right now, I think he is dangling the carrot and he is in a good position where he has so many RB's that are truly talented, so it is to his advantage, at this point, to keep dangling that carrot.

That being said you'll probably always see Johnson and Green used on a "situational" basis, so that means the "regular" RB comes down to Wingo and Davis. Question is, who wants it more badly than the other?
Go Hogs Go!

want2be

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 09, 2010, 03:24:23 pm
I think that when he sees one or two begin to separate themselves from the rest in terms of performance, you may see mor eof what you are looking for. Right now, I think he is dangling the carrot and he is in a good position where he has so many RB's that are truly talented, so it is to his advantage, at this point, to keep dangling that carrot.

That being said you'll probably always see Johnson and Green used on a "situational" basis, so that means the "regular" RB comes down to Wingo and Davis. Question is, who wants it more badly than the other?

It is a SHAME that 4 backs that average over 225 lbs can't do what Michael Smith could get done at 165 lbs.

elksnort

Muskogee, as Want2be mentioned. Can any of these backs get a chance to seperate themselves from the others when their opportunities are seemingly spread out?

I'd like to see our offense establish the run first then pass. Perhaps I am just too old fashioned. I remember correctly, Spurrier's Gators used to kill you with the pass then run it down your throat. Maybe this is what Petrino wants.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: elksnort on September 09, 2010, 03:43:23 pm
Muskogee, as Want2be mentioned. Can any of these backs get a chance to seperate themselves from the others when their opportunities are seemingly spread out?

I'd like to see our offense establish the run first then pass. Perhaps I am just too old fashioned. I remember correctly, Spurrier's Gators used to kill you with the pass then run it down your throat. Maybe this is what Petrino wants.

Yes, they can. The cream and the most motivated, will rise to the top and separate themselves from one another not only in games, but in their every day practice habits. It isn't just in games when players separate themselves from the competition, in fact, usually it isn't. And what you point out about the BP offense, is exactly right.

As far as Want2be's statement comparing these kids to Michael Smith...a good portion of the time, he was all we had and because of that, he went down with injuries...not big enough to take the pounding every down. Now we have four kids that are good RB's with more waiting in the wings. This way there is less risk than any RB is overused and injured. All remain healthy, all play their role in the offense and the offense benefits as a result. But, that's JMO.
Go Hogs Go!

b0sc0b

Advantage to Georgia playing at home, will probably lose on Saturday to USC east.  Arkansas will just have to go to Athens and prove that they belong in the upper crust.  The absence of Green will hurt Georgia some, but they have other players and he missed several games last year.  You have to beat the big dogs to run on top of the pack.  WPS
Government is not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem.-Ronald Reagan

phadedhawg

I do not look forward to the Georgia game at all.  Too many nightmares of the game from last season. 

We will have our hands full and if we win it will be HUGE.  Biggest win for CBP at Arkansas????