Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Louisiana, Monroe version, is a lot better than Tennessee Tech (maybe)

Started by Biggus Piggus, September 08, 2010, 07:58:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

The University of Louisiana at Monroe claims the mascot "Warhawks," surely impressive to 12-year-olds everywhere.

The storied ULM football program supports a 192-page "fan guide," which on page 3 features receiver Anthony McCall beating Arkansas safety Rashaad Johnson for a touchdown in the 2008 meeting.

This fan guide tells us Monroe-West Monroe feature 10 national chain casual dining restaurants. More interesting, Monroe is the birthplace of Delta Airlines and the site of the first Coca-Cola bottling plant.

Largest home crowd in history? Grambling game in 2007, 30,101.

Some current "Louisiana at Monroe" players went to Alabama in 2007 and upset the Tide.  No, not some, just two, Frank Goodin and Andrew Stout. The Monroe News-Star called it one of the most important wins in school history. It enabled the Warhawks to not finish under .500 for the first time in then-14 D-1A seasons. They did it again last year, 6-6, but I guess that wasn't good enough.

ULM ejected Charlie Weatherbie and hired Todd Berry as head coach. Fans wanted a change but expected someone whose record didn't need to be explained away.

Berry, native of Miami, Okla., QB at Tulsa, was an outstanding 1-AA coach, turning Illinois State into a winner during the Nineties. Berry was a disaster in his previous 1-A stint, compiling a 5-36 record at Army.  He tried to run a wide-open scheme at a wishbone school. Bobby Petrino gave Berry his next-to-last defeat, as Louisville beat Army 34-10 in 2003.  Berry resigned in the middle of an 0-13 season.

After that, Berry paid penance as an offensive assistant at La-Mo, Miami, and UNLV.  Most interesting thing about Berry is that his father, Rueben, guided the Saskatchewan Rough Riders to last place in the CFL in 1983-84. This, according to the La-Mo fan guide, qualifies him as "longtime mentor" of the Rough Riders.

The gem on staff is defensive coordinator Troy Reffett, holdover from last year. He played and coached at UTEP for 20 years. ULM made great strides on defense, and Reffett was a Broyles Award nominee. Familiar name on staff is Leon Lett, the ex-Cowboy. He coaches defensive tackles.

La-Mo, Sun Belt Conference member, gets the vast majority of its players from Louisiana and Texas. They really do sit in good proximity to much talent.

Very hard to tell what is going on inside this team. A number of players have been run off, including guys listed first team at LB and CB after spring, due to off-field misbehavior.

Base offense: One back, three wide receivers, or two tight ends. (Mitchell Bailey transferred here...to play fullback...hmm.) Offense dominated by juniors and seniors, but the starting QB is redshirt freshman Kolton Browning from Mabank, Texas. Browning must be good; he beat out a senior. Browning has a pitcher's arm, runs well. Didn't get a Big 12 offer due to height. He is the kind of mobile passer Arkansas has struggled to stop over the years.  Browning is Berry's personal project; Berry is not just head coach but also QB coach.

ULM under Weatherbie was a run-heavy team in a pass-first conference. His QBs threw 20 picks in 2009. Browning has the accuracy to remedy that.

Frank Goodin, a senior, had 1,126 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns last season. Goodin had 11 gains of 20+ yards. No one has seen redshirt freshman Jyruss Edwards. As a prospect, he got lost in the shuffle due to Hurricane Gustav.  Freshman Centarius Donald is fast and a little bigger than the others.  ULM has speed in the backfield.

McCall is a 6-1, 190-pound junior. He started as a freshman, sat a lot last season. Luther Ambrose is a near-world class sprinter who had a 75-yard TD against Texas. Senior tight end Alvin Jordan (6-2, 261) had 24 catches in 2009.  These guys are good receivers.

La-Mo was very good at pass blocking last season. Two starters are back. The line is big enough to compete.  Berry has been shuffling players up front.  Jonathan Gill (6-3, 306, soph) was LG in spring, moved to RG in August. Justin Roberts (6-4, 304, jr) was LT in spring, now LG. Muskogee freshman Jeremy Burton was starting LG before the Roberts move. Patrick Dvoracek (6-4, 304, soph) is LT – went to Utah State, transferred to Trinity Valley JC, now playing for his former Utah State position coach at ULM. Center Ryan McCaul came in from NEO A&M. Oline does not sound very settled.

Base defense: 3-3-5, which will look a lot like a 3-4. Defense also features many juniors and seniors, though only four returning starters.  Best player is DE Troy Evans (6-2, 263), but he is out with an injury.

ULM played decent defense in 2009, especially against the run.  This year they are building around the pass rush. Cornerbacks are scrawny.  Someone set us up the bomb.

In its game note, La-Mo was kind enough to point out that the offense had 65 plays of 20+ yards in 2009 (43 pass, 22 run) while allowing 47 (38 pass, 9 run).  Says something about their talent level.

Berry talks about special teams in hushed tones.  I think they scare him.

Bottom line: Louisiana/slash/Monroe has far more skill-position talent than Tennessee Tech had. There's no reason to believe the Warhawks can stop anybody, except that they have a really good coordinator, and Leon Lett is now glaring at them too. Weatherbie had been building up talent, and Berry had a decent signing class. It will take a better effort from the Razorbacks to produce a big win this week.
[CENSORED]!

Hogpkins

Great stuff.  +1  Please keep it coming.

The Louisiana/slash/Monroe is subtle but topical.  I like it!

IronHog

ULM has an area on campus to water ski.....the duck hunting is also close by.

I would've flunked out if I'd gone there..........
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 08, 2010, 07:58:46 pm
The University of Louisiana at Monroe claims the mascot "Warhawks," surely impressive to 12-year-olds everywhere.

The storied ULM football program supports a 192-page "fan guide," which on page 3 features receiver Anthony McCall beating Arkansas safety Rashaad Johnson for a touchdown in the 2008 meeting.

This fan guide tells us Monroe-West Monroe feature 10 national chain casual dining restaurants. More interesting, Monroe is the birthplace of Delta Airlines and the site of the first Coca-Cola bottling plant.

Largest home crowd in history? Grambling game in 2007, 30,101.

Some current "Louisiana at Monroe" players went to Alabama in 2007 and upset the Tide.  No, not some, just two, Frank Goodin and Andrew Stout. The Monroe News-Star called it one of the most important wins in school history. It enabled the Warhawks to not finish under .500 for the first time in then-14 D-1A seasons. They did it again last year, 6-6, but I guess that wasn't good enough.

ULM ejected Charlie Weatherbie and hired Todd Berry as head coach. Fans wanted a change but expected someone whose record didn't need to be explained away.

Berry, native of Miami, Okla., QB at Tulsa, was an outstanding 1-AA coach, turning Illinois State into a winner during the Nineties. Berry was a disaster in his previous 1-A stint, compiling a 5-36 record at Army.  He tried to run a wide-open scheme at a wishbone school. Bobby Petrino gave Berry his next-to-last defeat, as Louisville beat Army 34-10 in 2003.  Berry resigned in the middle of an 0-13 season.

After that, Berry paid penance as an offensive assistant at La-Mo, Miami, and UNLV.  Most interesting thing about Berry is that his father, Rueben, guided the Saskatchewan Rough Riders to last place in the CFL in 1983-84. This, according to the La-Mo fan guide, qualifies him as "longtime mentor" of the Rough Riders.

The gem on staff is defensive coordinator Troy Reffett, holdover from last year. He played and coached at UTEP for 20 years. ULM made great strides on defense, and Reffett was a Broyles Award nominee. Familiar name on staff is Leon Lett, the ex-Cowboy. He coaches defensive tackles.

La-Mo, Sun Belt Conference member, gets the vast majority of its players from Louisiana and Texas. They really do sit in good proximity to much talent.

Very hard to tell what is going on inside this team. A number of players have been run off, including guys listed first team at LB and CB after spring, due to off-field misbehavior.

Base offense: One back, three wide receivers, or two tight ends. (Mitchell Bailey transferred here...to play fullback...hmm.) Offense dominated by juniors and seniors, but the starting QB is redshirt freshman Kolton Browning from Mabank, Texas. Browning must be good; he beat out a senior. Browning has a pitcher's arm, runs well. Didn't get a Big 12 offer due to height. He is the kind of mobile passer Arkansas has struggled to stop over the years.  Browning is Berry's personal project; Berry is not just head coach but also QB coach.

ULM under Weatherbie was a run-heavy team in a pass-first conference. His QBs threw 20 picks in 2009. Browning has the accuracy to remedy that.

Frank Goodin, a senior, had 1,126 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns last season. Goodin had 11 gains of 20+ yards. No one has seen redshirt freshman Jyruss Edwards. As a prospect, he got lost in the shuffle due to Hurricane Gustav.  Freshman Centarius Donald is fast and a little bigger than the others.  ULM has speed in the backfield.

McCall is a 6-1, 190-pound junior. He started as a freshman, sat a lot last season. Luther Ambrose is a near-world class sprinter who had a 75-yard TD against Texas. Senior tight end Alvin Jordan (6-2, 261) had 24 catches in 2009.  These guys are good receivers.

La-Mo was very good at pass blocking last season. Two starters are back. The line is big enough to compete.  Berry has been shuffling players up front.  Jonathan Gill (6-3, 306, soph) was LG in spring, moved to RG in August. Justin Roberts (6-4, 304, jr) was LT in spring, now LG. Muskogee freshman Jeremy Burton was starting LG before the Roberts move. Patrick Dvoracek (6-4, 304, soph) is LT – went to Utah State, transferred to Trinity Valley JC, now playing for his former Utah State position coach at ULM. Center Ryan McCaul came in from NEO A&M. Oline does not sound very settled.

Base defense: 3-3-5, which will look a lot like a 3-4. Defense also features many juniors and seniors, though only four returning starters.  Best player is DE Troy Evans (6-2, 263), but he is out with an injury.

ULM played decent defense in 2009, especially against the run.  This year they are building around the pass rush. Cornerbacks are scrawny.  Someone set us up the bomb.

In its game note, La-Mo was kind enough to point out that the offense had 65 plays of 20+ yards in 2009 (43 pass, 22 run) while allowing 47 (38 pass, 9 run).  Says something about their talent level.

Berry talks about special teams in hushed tones.  I think they scare him.

Bottom line: Louisiana/slash/Monroe has far more skill-position talent than Tennessee Tech had. There's no reason to believe the Warhawks can stop anybody, except that they have a really good coordinator, and Leon Lett is now glaring at them too. Weatherbie had been building up talent, and Berry had a decent signing class. It will take a better effort from the Razorbacks to produce a big win this week.

Sun belt teams are not the automatic blowout they were just a few years ago.

A State put up a good showing vs. Auburn.  I look for the Hogs to treat ULM like a scout team scrimmage and dominate.

old hog

The Hogfather

So, what you're saying is.........play ULM +34.  Looks pretty solid to me.

Oklahawg

That 3-3-5 scheme is made for the iso play with our fast and big RBs. Kick out the DE, double the NT and you are a good block and/or juke away from a first down run. The largish RBs of UA should cast a long shadow towards the LA-MON DBs.

If watching Tulsa's version of the 3-3-5 provides me any insight its that its horrible vs the run and its vulnerable to big pass plays down the seam. Hello, Joe Adams and Cobi and....

UA needs to see someone whose QB can put the DBs on an island. Gotta have a read on the skillset prior to UGA.

Can Mitchell Bailey play this year? How unfortunate - he left campus a few weeks before the academic casualties hit. We are under on scholies and he might well have earned one. I hope his impression of UA was a good one, as there is a golden RB recruit from his hometown who is only a JR. 6-1 x 225 and can fly.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

IronHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 08, 2010, 08:17:12 pm
That 3-3-5 scheme is made for the iso play with our fast and big RBs. Kick out the DE, double the NT and you are a good block and/or juke away from a first down run. The largish RBs of UA should cast a long shadow towards the LA-MON DBs.

If watching Tulsa's version of the 3-3-5 provides me any insight its that its horrible vs the run and its vulnerable to big pass plays down the seam. Hello, Joe Adams and Cobi and....

UA needs to see someone whose QB can put the DBs on an island. Gotta have a read on the skillset prior to UGA.

Can Mitchell Bailey play this year? How unfortunate - he left campus a few weeks before the academic casualties hit. We are under on scholies and he might well have earned one. I hope his impression of UA was a good one, as there is a golden RB recruit from his hometown who is only a JR. 6-1 x 225 and can fly.

Arkansas is going to run base, vanilla plays vs. ULM on both sides of the ball.

I doubt they pay much attention to the 3-3-5 beyond checks at the line.

Oklahawg

Quote from: IronHog on September 08, 2010, 08:19:31 pm

Arkansas is going to run base, vanilla plays vs. ULM on both sides of the ball.

I doubt they pay much attention to the 3-3-5 beyond checks at the line.

We certainly plan on it working that way, Me included. If you are taking what they give you then you are not forcing anything. Hard for other schools to decipher any tendencies if you are playing directly to an oddball scheme no one tinkers with now that Joe Lee Dunn is out of coaching.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

jesterzzn

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 08, 2010, 07:58:46 pm
Monroe is the birthplace of Delta Airlines and the site of the first Coca-Cola bottling plant.

If this is an Atlanta joke, I don't get it.

IronHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 08, 2010, 08:23:47 pm
We certainly plan on it working that way, Me included. If you are taking what they give you then you are not forcing anything. Hard for other schools to decipher any tendencies if you are playing directly to an oddball scheme no one tinkers with now that Joe Lee Dunn is out of coaching.

If my prediction is correct BP is going to force Saben into a 3-3-5, or more for much of the game in a few weeks.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: jesterzzn on September 08, 2010, 08:26:21 pm
If this is an Atlanta joke, I don't get it.

I pulled that straight from their "fan guide."

So I did a little more Reece-urch.

In 1929, Huff Daland Dusters turned Delta Air Service and started passenger air service. Monroe was their first hub! From crop dusting to air service. Explains a lot about Delta, really.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

When the schools in Louisiana changed their names, all hell broke lose.

Southwestern Louisiana wanted to call itself the University of Louisiana. After all, it's the second-largest (behind LSU).

Northwestern State kept its direction arrows (pronounce Natchitoches).

The University of Louisiana at Monroe thought it had an agreement, there would be ULM and ULL.

But ULL is comfortable with Louisiana-Lafayette, in hopes that tired announcers drop the Lafayette part.
[CENSORED]!

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Shoatysmalls on September 08, 2010, 08:05:26 pm
Great stuff.  +1  Please keep it coming.

The Louisiana/slash/Monroe is subtle but topical.  I like it!

They were Northeast Louisiana University but changed their name the same time La-Lafayette changed theirs.  As for the name warhawks, it was a casualty of polit-correctness.  were the Indians.  changed when a-state did.  Students voted to have a train for a mascot and call themselves the "engines".  School admin didn't have the stones.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

TroyDad

I saw last year's version of ULM play Troy and it was only a game for the first half. Troy wound up beating them 42-21.  They absolutely could not stop Troy's passing attack and got burned for 378 yards through the air. They also coughed up the ball four times. I would expect Arkansas to light them up unless the Hogs come in very flat.

They are a little better than Tennessee Tech, but were in the lower middle of the Sunbelt last year and lost by pretty good margins to the conference's two bowl teams (Troy and Middle Tennessee).
Formerly VandyHog, but since my kid is on scholarship at Troy, now I'm TroyDad!

clutch

Quote from: pigasaurus on September 08, 2010, 08:50:47 pm
Students voted to have a train for a mascot and call themselves the "engines".  School admin didn't have the stones.

Hahaha that would have been great. We will show them injuns, we are the engines.

Biggus Piggus

One thing we don't think about is Arkansas football has a pretty good presense in northern Louisiana, a lot of our games on TV, quite a few fans. Kids grow up aware of us, and they like to play against us.
[CENSORED]!

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 08, 2010, 08:39:57 pm
I pulled that straight from their "fan guide."

So I did a little more Reece-urch.

In 1929, Huff Daland Dusters turned Delta Air Service and started passenger air service. Monroe was their first hub! From crop dusting to air service. Explains a lot about Delta, really.

Right. That's why they're called Delta. Ain't no Delta in Atlanta.

As Biggus said, it was the first Coca-Cola BOTTLING plant. Not the first Coca-Cola. Although the first Coca-Cola was bottled in Vicksburg. Oh well, it's only a state away. Monroe probably has some technicality they claim it on.

This is important stuff.

When they announced the Warhawk as a mascot, it was a P-40 Warhawk fighter plane. I thought that was cool. P40s. Flying Tigers. Pappy Boyington. Shark mouths. A little row of meatballs under the cockpit. It would have inspired me as a 12 year old. I was going to be a ULM fan, except when they played us or ASU, and I'm not even 12 any more.

Then along the way they changed it to some weird bird. I've complained about this before. I hope they go 0-12.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: pigasaurus on September 08, 2010, 08:50:47 pm
They were Northeast Louisiana University but changed their name the same time La-Lafayette changed theirs.  As for the name warhawks, it was a casualty of polit-correctness.  were the Indians.  changed when a-state did.  Students voted to have a train for a mascot and call themselves the "engines".  School admin didn't have the stones.

I really wanted ASU to keep Indians but change their mascot from Injun Joe to Ghandi. Kinda like the Irish and the Leprechaun. Ghandi would be great on the side of a helmet. When you want to inspire the defense, one side of the stadium yells "Passive" the other side yells "Resistance." I wish I ruled the world.

GuvHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 08, 2010, 08:48:14 pm
When the schools in Louisiana changed their names, all hell broke lose.

Southwestern Louisiana wanted to call itself the University of Louisiana. After all, it's the second-largest (behind LSU).

Northwestern State kept its direction arrows (pronounce Natchitoches).

The University of Louisiana at Monroe thought it had an agreement, there would be ULM and ULL.

But ULL is comfortable with Louisiana-Lafayette, in hopes that tired announcers drop the Lafayette part.

I believe they've officially changed their name from ULL to The University of Louisiana now, much to the disliking of the LSU people.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Oklahawg

Quote from: IronHog on September 08, 2010, 08:28:27 pm
If my prediction is correct BP is going to force Saben into a 3-3-5, or more for much of the game in a few weeks.

If you see Saban changing his scheme to beat Arkansas you feel better about our chances than I do. If you prove correct I want to discuss a few events on down the road a week or two, maybe get your idea on some stocks :)

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 08, 2010, 09:12:55 pm
I believe they've officially changed their name from ULL to The University of Louisiana now, much to the disliking of the LSU people.

I believe they tried, and LSU folks fussed and the legislature made them change it back. Instead, they drop the "at" and call themselves "Louisiana Lafayette". That's my understanding, anyway. I may be wrong.

IronHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 08, 2010, 09:21:47 pm
If you see Saban changing his scheme to beat Arkansas you feel better about our chances than I do. If you prove correct I want to discuss a few events on down the road a week or two, maybe get your idea on some stocks :)

BP will want to go 4 and 5 wide vs. Bama and GA out of the gun/shot a good bit.  Then flip it out to a back/TE and go DB hunting.

He did it all the time at UL.  I know he wants to do it to a SEC team in a bad way.

IronHog

Oklahawg

Quote from: IronHog on September 08, 2010, 09:25:28 pm

BP will want to go 4 and 5 wide vs. Bama and GA out of the gun/shot a good bit.  Then flip it out to a back/TE and go DB hunting.

He did it all the time at UL.  I know he wants to do it to a SEC team in a bad way.

And he certainly has created a roster with the mismatched to exploit that:
1. Curtis at WR
2. Gragg at TE
3. Tate at FB
4. Wingo + Green + Davis splitting out as WR

jesterzzn

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 08, 2010, 09:02:50 pm
Right. That's why they're called Delta. Ain't no Delta in Atlanta.

As Biggus said, it was the first Coca-Cola BOTTLING plant. Not the first Coca-Cola. Although the first Coca-Cola was bottled in Vicksburg. Oh well, it's only a state away. Monroe probably has some technicality they claim it on.

The first Coca-Cola bottling plant was built in Chattanooga, TN.  There is a National Historic marker out in front of the building.

http://www.chattanoogacocacola.com/history.asp

But anyway...

IronHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 08, 2010, 09:39:57 pm
And he certainly has created a roster with the mismatched to exploit that:
1. Curtis at WR
2. Gragg at TE
3. Tate at FB
4. Wingo + Green + Davis splitting out as WR

At UL he really liked to spread teams out and flip it out to Bush out of the backfield.

You corner blitzed that team it got ugly fast.  They'd lob it over the blitz and Bush would start looking for people to embarrass.

GiantFoamFingerMak

All this and they are still 34 point dogs (line hasn't moved since it opened)...hell their biggest fans are laying bets on whether they will score 13 v. 17 points against us, not on whether they win or much less cover.

This game will turn out like it should....
Definition of HDN:  "College football's most aptly-surnamed sideline stalker twitches and fidgets like a snake-handling minister preaching a revival in a circus tent by the river while taking crystal meth and being jabbed in the backside by a cattle prod."

Oklahawg

Quote from: jesterzzn on September 08, 2010, 09:50:40 pm
The first Coca-Cola bottling plant was built in Chattanooga, TN.  There is a National Historic marker out in front of the building.

But anyway...

Apparently, ULM is not known for its journalism school either. That's, uh, three different places claiming the first CC bottling plant?

jesterzzn

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 08, 2010, 09:59:42 pm
That's, uh, three different places claiming the first CC bottling plant?

I guess.  From the ten minutes of research I did, its pretty clear that Coca-Cola was founded in Atlanta.  It was served as a fountain drink only for several years, and then some guy in Mississippi bottled twelve cokes and sent them to Atlanta for approval.  They were denied.  A few more years later some guys in Chattanooga bought the rights to bottle it (paid one dollar for those rights) and built the first plant in Chattanooga.  That is straight from Coke's site.

Nothing anywhere about Monroe. 

TNhogfan

Quote from: GUVHOG on September 08, 2010, 09:12:55 pm
I know some will find this hard to believe, but you are wrong Guv.  A part of USL getting to change their name was they had to get at least one other school in the system to change their name to UL as well.  NLU was the only one to do so.  Even though the folks in Lafayette try to pretend that they've dropped their last "L", it is still there.  LSU won't let them change it to UofL and neither will any of the other schools in the UofL system. 

Jet Sweep Hog

The role of government is protecting natural rights, not bestowing them.

" ... to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
-- George Mason

bjl

Quote from: jesterzzn on September 08, 2010, 09:50:40 pm
The first Coca-Cola bottling plant Company was built in Chattanooga, TN.  There is a National Historic marker out in front of the building.

But anyway...

your quote is wrong, but your information is correct.  they were the first Company.  they paid for a license to bottle coke for the masses.

there are 3 different things being claimed here, each correct in its own way.

Vicksburg: first place to have bottled coke, it was done in the store. 1894
Monroe: first bottling plant (store owner from V'burgh) bottled quantities here for sale in his store(s).
   i must say, i don't see how their dates lineup to substantiate their claim of first though   ???
Chat: purchased a license to bottle coke and redistribute.  later they subcontracted other co's to keep with demand. 1899

eta:  brief bottling history

DeltaBoy

ULM is a nice school looking for an Upset and a Paycheck.   I would love to see ULM do better in the Sunbelt I'm tired of Troy and MTS.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: jesterzzn on September 08, 2010, 10:44:27 pm
I guess.  From the ten minutes of research I did, its pretty clear that Coca-Cola was founded in Atlanta.  It was served as a fountain drink only for several years, and then some guy in Mississippi bottled twelve cokes and sent them to Atlanta for approval.  They were denied.  A few more years later some guys in Chattanooga bought the rights to bottle it (paid one dollar for those rights) and built the first plant in Chattanooga.  That is straight from Coke's site.

Nothing anywhere about Monroe. 

I could find nothing supporting the claim in the ULM "fan guide" regarding Coca-Cola. Maybe they meant "coke."
[CENSORED]!

John Futrall

GuvHog

Quote from: TNhogfan on September 08, 2010, 11:05:34 pm
I know some will find this hard to believe, but you are wrong Guv.  A part of USL getting to change their name was they had to get at least one other school in the system to change their name to UL as well.  NLU was the only one to do so.  Even though the folks in Lafayette try to pretend that they've dropped their last "L", it is still there.  LSU won't let them change it to UofL and neither will any of the other schools in the UofL system. 

All I know is I have seen some pre-season football preview magazines where they are listed as The University of Louisiana. Phil Steele's magazine is one of them.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hog49

Snarlton

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 08, 2010, 09:10:16 pm
I really wanted ASU to keep Indians but change their mascot from Injun Joe to Ghandi. Kinda like the Irish and the Leprechaun. Ghandi would be great on the side of a helmet. When you want to inspire the defense, one side of the stadium yells "Passive" the other side yells "Resistance." I wish I ruled the world.

NICE. I wonder how a torn ACL would respond to Gandhi's earth treatment.