Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ony 3 out of 11 commits are Defensive

Started by want2be, August 18, 2008, 01:40:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

want2be

I keep hearing how our defense needs help primarily at Linebacker. I know it is early, but I thought we would have more commits on defense at this time.

Brass Knob

Some of you really need to lay off BP and the staff...... It really is not that easy to convince an 18 year old kid who has no ties to the school to commit to you!  I really think they are trying as hard as they can.... And besides 11 commits is a decent number to be at at this point..... We are not Florida, USC, ect. unfortunately.... Our staff really has to actually recreuit most of their kids they bring in.... Hopefully someday we get to that elite status, but that takes time, several years!

hog_fan

Quote from: want2be on August 18, 2008, 01:40:17 pm
I keep hearing how our defense needs help primarily at Linebacker. I know it is early, but I thought we would have more commits on defense at this time.

Some offensive guys could go to the defense. We are working on a few more LB's.

jgphillips3

If we get to signing day and there aren't any linebackers in the mix, then I'll freak out.  BP is so tight lipped about these things that none of us have any idea what kids may be close to a commitment.  I believe that BP and staff understand what this team needs a heck of a lot more than we do and they will address those needs.  I am sure they are out there swinging for the fences on 4* and 5* linebackers and if they can't get any to commit by a reasonable time, then the offers will start being accepted by 3* or 2* linebackers who are probably just waiting on the call.  I trust Petrino.  Let's give him time.

thechamp

i've heard BP likes to tkae a lot of offensive guys and convert them to defense. this was a major problem people had with him at louisville.

Hogstocking

August 18, 2008, 04:37:08 pm #5 Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 04:39:14 pm by Hogstocking
4 defensive commits, not 3.  Calendar, Moss, Gordon and Rasner

As far as LBs, Goodlow and Wilson have Arkansas in their final cut of schools.  Official visits havent even started yet, obviously Moss is an excellent addition, and signing day is still nearly 6 months away.  The staff is doing fine. 

FBPLAYER65

tiber

Quote from: thechamp on August 18, 2008, 04:07:51 pm
i've heard BP likes to tkae a lot of offensive guys and convert them to defense. this was a major problem people had with him at louisville.

I could see their point... he clearly wasn't having success with it at UL   ;)

Kenny Hawgins

i read somewhere that turrell williams might end up at lb???  anyone hear this too?
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

thechamp

Quote from: tiber on August 18, 2008, 05:39:12 pm
I could see their point... he clearly wasn't having success with it at UL   ;)

belive what you want, but his questionable recruiting on defense definately started to show this year at UL. every now and then a guy can switch sides of the ball and become a star, but you cannot do it in mass, especially in the SEC.

Kevin

will we just grip about anything.

let these coaches do their jobs.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogbody

Gordon is a top defensive talent that we have to keep in mind.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: thechamp on August 18, 2008, 06:02:37 pm
belive what you want, but his questionable recruiting on defense definately started to show this year at UL. every now and then a guy can switch sides of the ball and become a star, but you cannot do it in mass, especially in the SEC.
for real??  look how many starters they had coming back off a team that won the orange bowl and i don't think they lost any major starters.  that comes back to coaching.....not the players.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

gohogsgo006

I wouldnt mind if he has the same results
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

SquidBilly

Yeah those people hated that he recruited Amobe Okoye as a 2 star OG and turned him into an All American and an All Pro DT.  This is just one of the many successful conversions Petrino has made.

BayofPigs

Quote from: Brass Knob on August 18, 2008, 03:22:16 pm
Some of you really need to lay off BP and the staff...... It really is not that easy to convince an 18 year old kid who has no ties to the school to commit to you!  I really think they are trying as hard as they can.... And besides 11 commits is a decent number to be at at this point..... We are not Florida, USC, ect. unfortunately.... Our staff really has to actually recreuit most of their kids they bring in.... Hopefully someday we get to that elite status, but that takes time, several years!
you lost me with your last 3 sentences

havok

August 19, 2008, 12:11:18 pm #16 Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:01:46 pm by havok
February is a long way off... and if you watch the Recruiting sites...new guys pop on there every week showing Ark, and once Ark and the new coaches are seen on TV and have something to really point too, then we will see names of kids showing real interest, that we haven't seen before.

And I like how this Staff isn't just dropping their recruitment, and interest in a kid they like once he commits somewhere.  Things change (Especially with 17-18 year olds), and if you aren't there Still to peek their interest, you are considered out of sight, out of mind.

want2be

Quote from: Brass Knob on August 18, 2008, 03:22:16 pm

I am not implying that the staff is not working hard to get the players they need...Saban had an AVERAGE season last year and got the best recruiting class in the nation. Bama has been struggling for years and lost their top tier position. I think this staff should get us in the top 15 this year and they should equate the depth on defense like they have addressed the offense.

True there is alot of time left and things will shake out for the best in the long run and I am sure that staff knows that defenses win championships.

LAHOGG

REALLY?  I'm very happy with our class of 09' so far.  Petrino does like to recruit Athletes and convert.  And that is fine with me.  I like to think that the best athletes in highschool are often placed at the skill positions.  And those standouts aren't always meant to play that same position when they get to college.

FBPLAYER65

Quote from: LAHOGG on August 19, 2008, 01:40:38 pm
REALLY?  I'm very happy with our class of 09' so far.  Petrino does like to recruit Athletes and convert.  And that is fine with me.  I like to think that the best athletes in highschool are often placed at the skill positions.  And those standouts aren't always meant to play that same position when they get to college.
That's funny. Moving players around was one of the main criticisms of Nutt.

LAHOGG

August 19, 2008, 02:25:46 pm #20 Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 02:29:32 pm by LAHOGG
Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on August 19, 2008, 01:54:00 pm
That's funny. Moving players around was one of the main criticisms of Nutt.

I did think it was rediculous to put a running back at defensive end a few years ago(I forget who it was).  Since Petrino seems to be up front with recruits about the different positions they might play, once again, its fine with me.  Example: Ford, Nelson, and M Marshall are all playing at different positions then they were listed as recruits.  And they've all worked first team at one time or another.  These guys aren't project guys.  These are guys that CAN jump in there and play those other positions immediately.  Nutt moved guys because he had no other options.  And he moved alot of upper classmen around.  I think thats what was complained about.

Abominable Hillbilly

"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

jackflash

way to early to worry about going to happen on Feb signing date.

want2be

Quote from: jackflash on August 21, 2008, 10:29:36 am
way to early to worry about going to happen on Feb signing date.

Not worried......just discussing the current progress