Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hudson Henry was in South Bend today

Started by sowmonella, January 27, 2018, 10:38:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

Quote from: kp72204 on February 01, 2018, 05:22:40 pm
The kid from Springdale. Hampton I think (went to Alabama)

the DT ? i think that was Frazier.

AugustaHog

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on February 01, 2018, 03:01:29 pm
If you are from Arkansas and want to live in Arkansas, Notre Dame is not a better school, does not have more tradition, and does not provide a better education.
Yeah.....no.  I think I understand where you are coming from, but all of those statements are patently false.  I do get the fact that if you are a kid who grew up loving the Hogs, then that can make up for the fact that Arkansas doesn't have the tradition or elite degree (not knocking UA here, just not elite like a ND).  That'd be like saying Arkansas is as good or better academically than Stanford.  Sorry as bad as I love the Hogs, just not true. 

Been10Hog

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 02, 2018, 09:36:05 am
Yeah.....no.  I think I understand where you are coming from, but all of those statements are patently false.  I do get the fact that if you are a kid who grew up loving the Hogs, then that can make up for the fact that Arkansas doesn't have the tradition or elite degree (not knocking UA here, just not elite like a ND).  That'd be like saying Arkansas is as good or better academically than Stanford.  Sorry as bad as I love the Hogs, just not true.
It depends on what you want to do! I went to U of A on academic scholarship before going to medical school at UAMS. I dated a girl from Fayetteville who went to Notre Dame before going to medical school at UAMS. we both got into medical school. the only difference was she had student loans to pay back for Notre Dame on top of those for UAMS. I did not. If someone wanted to work on Wall Street, I could see connections from Notre Dame would make a difference. But, if someone wanted to go into business in Arkansas and live in Arkansas, you can't beat the Walton business school! It all depends on what you want to do and where you want to live. a degree from Notre Dame doesn't automatically trump a degree from UA.

Redhogs

Quote from: Been10Hog on February 02, 2018, 09:49:17 am
It depends on what you want to do! I went to U of A on academic scholarship before going to medical school at UAMS. I dated a girl from Fayetteville who went to Notre Dame before going to medical school at UAMS. we both got into medical school. the only difference was she had student loans to pay back for Notre Dame on top of those for UAMS. I did not. If someone wanted to work on Wall Street, I could see connections from Notre Dame would make a difference. But, if someone wanted to go into business in Arkansas and live in Arkansas, you can't beat the Walton business school! It all depends on what you want to do and where you want to live. a degree from Notre Dame doesn't automatically trump a degree from UA.
Thank you.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: AP85 on February 02, 2018, 09:24:08 am
LOL. Ok..........

[CENSORED] much? 

As the holder of a degree from an "academically superior", private, out of state institution, who then decided to move back to Arkansas to live and work, I can tell you from first hand experience that holding a degree from the UA carries more water in this state. 

But hey, believe what you want.  It's 2018-- you're free to call your own opinion "fact" any time you want.  I look forward to the sarcastic GIF in response.

Yosemite Ham

Let's hope the Family tradition continues.
Elmer Fudds a [CENSORED]

AugustaHog

Quote from: Been10Hog on February 02, 2018, 09:49:17 am
Ok so I do get where your scenario is correct.  I did very much the same by going smaller school and following up with dental school.  Got in just the same as folks from bigger schools.  These situations are the exception to the rule.  Typically if things are apples to apples that ND degree is going to hold weight.  There is nothing wrong with the UofA and I'm not insinuating there is.  ND is truly one of the more elite degrees around.  If that's all you care about and someone else is footing the bill, it's a nice thing.  Your ex had loan bills, these kids would not.  There's lots to sell at the UofA and certain degrees, like the Walton Business School, are a part of that.  However, we can't try to sell academic prestige vs the Vandys, Stanfords, Dukes, etc. 

sowmonella

ND is a great school and has a football history second to none. That being said HH will NOT sign with the Irish.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Al Boarland

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 01, 2018, 12:22:37 pm
This offense should still feature TEs, if they are talented enough.  Henry is most certainly that.  I would expect that he would have the opportunity to be as productive or more productive than Hunter was here.  Morris is a far better offensive mind than either Chaney or Enos and will make sure his studs get the rock.  When he had talented TEs at Clemson, they did well.  Dwayne Allen won the Mackey Award and was a 1st Team AA.  I would expect that we will see Patton and O'Grady show out at that spot this year and give Hudson a chance to see what his future holds.

Far better? You guys are starting to get carried away with CCM. It's not like it's him and everybody else calling an offense. He's good, but he's no savant. It will be about accumulating talent. If he's successful at that he will have some success. If he's yanking down 3 stars I won't expect more than 7/8 wins.

AugustaHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 04, 2018, 03:14:13 am
Far better? You guys are starting to get carried away with CCM. It's not like it's him and everybody else calling an offense. He's good, but he's no savant. It will be about accumulating talent. If he's successful at that he will have some success. If he's yanking down 3 stars I won't expect more than 7/8 wins.
I would argue he's a top 10 caliber play-caller.  Our experience with Chaney and at times Enos proved that they weren't in that elite level.  The best take what they've got and get results regardless.  Morris will get the opportunity to prove he's as good as I think.  If he improves our offense drastically from the last couple yrs, I can only imagine what he can do when personnel lines up with his philosophy.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 03, 2018, 08:54:09 pm
Ok so I do get where your scenario is correct.  I did very much the same by going smaller school and following up with dental school.  Got in just the same as folks from bigger schools. These situations are the exception to the rule.  Typically if things are apples to apples that ND degree is going to hold weight.  There is nothing wrong with the UofA and I'm not insinuating there is.  ND is truly one of the more elite degrees around.  If that's all you care about and someone else is footing the bill, it's a nice thing.  Your ex had loan bills, these kids would not.  There's lots to sell at the UofA and certain degrees, like the Walton Business School, are a part of that.  However, we can't try to sell academic prestige vs the Vandys, Stanfords, Dukes, etc. 

Prestige is as subjective as taste. It's statistical group think at it's best.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Porkys Revenge

If you're a white man and you can't make it ANYWHERE in America, then you're just a loser. Sorry to be shrewd but that's just the way it is. If you don't think so, try going somewhere else in the world and see how it is. It doesn't get any easier than this.

A degree from Arkansas will take you wherever you want to go.

Mike_e

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 04, 2018, 01:04:29 pm
But it does not open as many doors as a degree from Notre Dame. 
Them is the facts.

But the only doors that matter are the right ones for you.

Sure a Million is bigger than One but if One is all you need then the rest is superfluous.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 04, 2018, 08:08:18 am
The smallest of the CONUS states west of the Mississippi isn't exactly a meaningful measure here.  Degrees from Notre Dame open doors around the world.  This is NOT to say that degrees from Arkansas are valueless, but let's please recognize the realities once you leave the borders of this state. 

I believe that a degree from the UA, particularly earned while playing football for the UA, carries more meaning within the borders of the state of Arkansas than a degree from ND.   My proposition from the beginning was whether HH, being from Arkansas, wanted to stay and work IN Arkansas after football. 

I would agree, if Mr. Henry wants to take his degree to Hong Kong, then yes, the ND degree is perhaps more prestigious.  I think any combination of college degree with a good GPA, plus scholarship football athlete, opens a ton of doors regardless of your chosen institution. 

AirWarren

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on February 04, 2018, 11:32:30 am
If you're a white man and you can't make it ANYWHERE in America, then you're just a loser. Sorry to be shrewd but that's just the way it is. If you don't think so, try going somewhere else in the world and see how it is. It doesn't get any easier than this.

Lol. What?

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on February 04, 2018, 11:32:30 am

Sorry to be crude, maybe?

MB Hog

Quote from: Karma on February 02, 2018, 09:08:15 am
And it must be said, Hudson had about half the production Hunter did as a junior.
I have no idea what the numbers comparison is between the two from their junior years.  I do know that Hatcher had so many options at receiver this year that it would make sense the ball didn't go to Henry as often as it would if he were one of only three main targets.  There were some games where the ball went his way often and some where it didn't, but he was always a factor.  But I've seen both guys play many games for PA and the talent comparison is similar.  Hunter was a little thicker at the same age.  Hudson is a little faster.  Both have great hands, are very tall, and very reliable.

Quote from: MB Hog on February 05, 2018, 11:53:54 am
I have no idea what the numbers comparison is between the two from their junior years.  I do know that Hatcher had so many options at receiver this year that it would make sense the ball didn't go to Henry as often as it would if he were one of only three main targets.  There were some games where the ball went his way often and some where it didn't, but he was always a factor.  But I've seen both guys play many games for PA and the talent comparison is similar.  Hunter was a little thicker at the same age.  Hudson is a little faster.  Both have great hands, are very tall, and very reliable.
They were closer than I thought. Hunter had 1100 yards receiving as a junior, and Hudson 826. The 2011 team was loaded at receiver, far more than this year's team. Hunter had 1500 yards as a senior, so maybe Hudson will have a huge next year.

#1 STUNNA

Hudson had 72 catcher for 984 yards this season.