Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"...it's too early to be evaluating the whole thing yet."

Started by Hogger, March 13, 2009, 09:36:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

want2be

Pel states "We need to recruit like everyone else"..........Is that a new concept or what ? Did it take two years to figure it out ?

RazorHawg16

Quote from: want2be on March 13, 2009, 09:49:03 am

Pel states "We need to recruit like everyone else"..........Is that a new concept or what ? Did it take two years to figure it out ?
He is not Nutt good lord. No need to critique everything he says.

Hogbody

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 13, 2009, 09:52:09 am
He is not Nutt good lord. No need to critique everything he says.

That's what i was thinking

thirtythree

Good interviews. I guess we can put to rest the "rumors" of Clarke leaving for Tulsa. Still not sold on MW yet. Anytime you don't deny it right away there is still a chance.

lovetthog1

Well for all my negative posts about Pel I am going to say something positive about last nights game. Pel did make an effort to slow the game down, although Donovan wouldnt allow it , and they ditched that horrid zone for the most part. The first half defense was good. I think this would be a better team now if they had started that earlier in the year.

BallHog1

I don't remember seeing you complain about this year's freshman when they were announced as last year's recruiting class. I'm still not complaining about them but since you practice your visionary skills in hindsight, you have an advantage over all the mortals out there, including Pel.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I like how Clarke gave a lot of credit to his teammates and said he needed to work on defense most and that's what he would do during the offseason.  That shows some real maturity and knowledge of the game and what he needs to do to help himself and the team.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

want2be

Quote from: BallHog1 on March 13, 2009, 10:45:49 am
I don't remember seeing you complain about this year's freshman when they were announced as last year's recruiting class. I'm still not complaining about them but since you practice your visionary skills in hindsight, you have an advantage over all the mortals out there, including Pel.

I just quoted what Pel said..........it is his words, not mine.

Table Rocker

Clarke apologized to fans, said they let us down, and thanked us for the support on f-book.

BallHog1

Quote from: want2be on March 13, 2009, 11:00:24 am

I just quoted what Pel said..........it is his words, not mine.

You're right and I'm being too sensitive. I think what he said was pretty openminded. I'm just tired of all the negativity from people who were walking on air last year when the recruiting was complete (not necessarily you) and now want to run this group down. I still think they will end up being a good group and I still think Pel will get it done. Didn't mean to jump on anyone.

Wild Bill Hog

Maybe he means we don't need an Asst Coach (RE) on staff who doesn't recruit.

jst01

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on March 13, 2009, 01:20:48 pm
Maybe he means we don't need an Asst Coach (RE) on staff who doesn't recruit.

Or, we dont need an assistant recruiter on staff who doesnt coach.(TO) 

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: jst01 on March 13, 2009, 01:23:12 pm
Or, we dont need an assistant recruiter on staff who doesnt coach.(TO) 

Or maybe he means both.

FedorE

This is by far the worst hog team I've seen. I really believe our program would be in much better shape if we had just hired mike anderson after nolan was fired.I don't heath or pel are any better than the other.just get a coach that doesn't go 2 and 14.I don't care what people say. There isn't any excuse for a record that bad. Its a sad day when we try to blame it on everyone other than the guy that is the second highest payed state employee in the entire state. Its the players. Its the assistant coach. Yeah it is. Let's not forget their leader.

hawgsav1

Quote from: FedorE on March 13, 2009, 02:05:18 pm
This is by far the worst hog team I've seen. I really believe our program would be in much better shape if we had just hired mike anderson after nolan was fired.I don't heath or pel are any better than the other.just get a coach that doesn't go 2 and 14.I don't care what people say. There isn't any excuse for a record that bad. Its a sad day when we try to blame it on everyone other than the guy that is the second highest payed state employee in the entire state. Its the players. Its the assistant coach. Yeah it is. Let's not forget their leader.

It's obvious we'd be in better shape with Mike Anderson.  I'd take Anderson in a heartbeat.  And while I'm pretty upset about how this season went and I'm on the fence with John Pelphrey, I will still try to give him one more year if I can stand to watch it.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

4thdownnutt

I'll evalutate it. bottom line we'er last in fb and bb and the joke of the sec

jackflash

I don't like Mike Anderson as much as some people here? Wasn't he part of Nolan staff at the end. Don't remember much talent on that club.

BallHog1

Some on here think that anyone we don't have is always better than anyone we do have. Only the names change periodically but the complaing never stops.

FedorE

Quote from: BallHog1 on March 13, 2009, 02:41:05 pm
Some on here think that anyone we don't have is always better than anyone we do have. Only the names change periodically but the complaing never stops.
what would be your words of wisdom ballhog?

BallHog1

Quote from: FedorE on March 13, 2009, 02:45:11 pm
what would be your words of wisdom ballhog?
My advice is to calm down and give Pel a fair chance, something we almost messed up and didn't do for Nolan. Hopefully, he'll have similar results or at least get us back to respectability. Changing coaches every two years is not the answer.
Mike A was a great guy but he would have been roasted here the same as Stan and Pel right now.
Anything worth having takes time and patience.

Oliver

Quote from: BallHog1 on March 13, 2009, 03:16:56 pm
My advice is to calm down and give Pel a fair chance, something we almost messed up and didn't do for Nolan. Hopefully, he'll have similar results or at least get us back to respectability. Changing coaches every two years is not the answer.
Mike A was a great guy but he would have been roasted here the same as Stan and Pel right now.
Anything worth having takes time and patience.

I just want to address the "changing coaches every 2 years isn't the answer" part of your post.  I just want to know why it seems people think this school goes through coaching changes like it's going out of style.  Nutt had 10 years, Heath had 5 years, Nolan had 17 years, Eddie Sutton had 10 years, Danny Ford had 4 years, Joe Kines had 1 year, Jack Crowe had 2 years, and Ken Hatfield had 5 years.

This covers pretty much the last 25 years in both basketball and football.  With the exception of the Kines and Crowe years, every coach had ample enough time to succeed and really were you complaining about letting Crowe or Kines go after one or two years?

I guess my point is that I don't know why we have the perception among our fans of not giving any coach a fair shake to build their program. 

BallHog1

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 13, 2009, 03:26:48 pm
I just want to address the "changing coaches every 2 years isn't the answer" part of your post.  I just want to know why it seems people think this school goes through coaching changes like it's going out of style.  Nutt had 10 years, Heath had 5 years, Nolan had 17 years, Eddie Sutton had 10 years, Danny Ford had 4 years, Joe Kines had 1 year, Jack Crowe had 2 years, and Ken Hatfield had 5 years.

This covers pretty much the last 25 years in both basketball and football.  With the exception of the Kines and Crowe years, every coach had ample enough time to succeed and really were you complaining about letting Crowe or Kines go after one or two years?

I guess my point is that I don't know why we have the perception among our fans of not giving any coach a fair shake to build their program. 
We don't have that reputation and we don't want to get it. We didn't switch coaches every two years and were successful in some cases and not so much in others. I agree that we waited too long on Nutt and yes, I admit, I think we should have given Kines a chance. No strong opinion on Crowe, though I think he was truly over his head.

I'm not saying we have a reputation of not giving a chance, but when people start screaming to get rid of Pel and announcing that he is no good this soon, it leads me to believe they think we need to get rid of him now and I disagree with that. There were voices saying the same when Nolan was here and thankfully they weren't listened to. I was there for that and argued long and hard for patience with him. I feel the same about Pelphrey.

Kevin

maybe because our fans wanted to fire the defensive coordinator about three games into the his first season

or

a lot of people on here want to fire pel or ostrum now.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Oliver

Quote from: BallHog1 on March 13, 2009, 03:36:19 pm
We don't have that reputation and we don't want to get it. We didn't switch coaches every two years and were successful in some cases and not so much in others. I agree that we waited too long on Nutt and yes, I admit, I think we should have given Kines a chance. No strong opinion on Crowe, though I think he was truly over his head.

I'm not saying we have a reputation of not giving a chance, but when people start screaming to get rid of Pel and announcing that he is no good this soon, it leads me to believe they think we need to get rid of him now and I disagree with that. There were voices saying the same when Nolan was here and thankfully they weren't listened to. I was there for that and argued long and hard for patience with him. I feel the same about Pelphrey.

I have no problem with you thinking Pelphrey needs more time.  I, myself, think that there are much more negative things going on with Pelphrey now than there was with Richardson after his 2nd year and don't really want Pelphrey back next year.

Regardless, I just wanted to point out the "There go those Arkansas fans calling for a coach's head again" reaction to being displeased with a coach.  This university has rarely fired a coach before giving them at least 4 years.  And in many cases (like Sutton's) we didn't even fire them, they left.

BallHog1

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 13, 2009, 03:44:57 pm
I have no problem with you thinking Pelphrey needs more time.  I, myself, think that there are much more negative things going on with Pelphrey now than there was with Richardson after his 2nd year and don't really want Pelphrey back next year.

Regardless, I just wanted to point out the "There go those Arkansas fans calling for a coach's head again" reaction to being displeased with a coach.  This university has rarely fired a coach before giving them at least 4 years.  And in many cases (like Sutton's) we didn't even fire them, they left.

Honestly, you may be right but personally I think there has always been alot more going on that many might not have approved of, but nobody knew about it because you depended on newspaper and local tv for all your info. I was there when Nolan was and had the privilege of meeting some of his more influential players. I wouldn't say we were buds, but I got to see them off the court and I can tell you there were some real straight shooters, Mayberry comes to mind, and there were some that weren't so much walking the line. Had I not seen things with my own eyes I would have never known that though = no internet, etc..
All that to say, I think we almost messed up with Nolan and look what we would have missed out on. I have that feeling with Pel too. I'm likely wrong, but I hope not.

As for firing coaches too quickly, I agree that has not been a habit here. Sometimes thats been a good thing and sometimes not.