Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Henry isn't the only player in trouble...

Started by Porkatarian, March 11, 2009, 11:35:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 12, 2009, 05:59:43 pm
It doesn't matter.  Pelphrey has told those close to him that he will NOT fire Ostrum under any circumstances.

Porkatarian out...
So it sounds like this last statement could lead to Pel's undoing.  Am I correct in assuming that's a definite possibility?

cdclark09

The Boar War

March 12, 2009, 06:25:42 pm #202 Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:30:35 pm by The Boar War
Quote from: cdclark09 on March 12, 2009, 04:14:36 pm
Oh, didn't realize he was proven and experienced.  I forget they recruit against Texas and Florida and Auburn down there. You'd get better experience bringing in an AAU coach.

Hey.  Thanks for deleting the rest of my post to fit your own agenda.  You said he had zero experience.  He has coached at a junior college.  No it's not enough experience for a head coaching position at a major university but with the ties it's certainly enough for an asst coaching position at Arkansas.  How do you think coaches get enough experience to become head coaches?

board

Tommy must be doing something that Johnny really likes.

Hope it is worth it. Can't see either going anywhere but down from here.

cdclark09

March 12, 2009, 06:36:07 pm #204 Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 08:30:28 pm by cdclark09
Quote from: The Boar War on March 12, 2009, 06:25:42 pm
Hey.  Thanks for deleting the rest of my post to fit your own agenda.  You said he had zero experience.  He has coached at a junior college.  No it's not enough experience for a head coaching position at a major university but with the ties it's certainly enough for an asst coaching position at Arkansas.  How do you think coaches get enough experience to become head coaches?
Who said anything about him being a HC?  What are you talking about?  Coaching at Ark Baptist JR College does NOT qualify him to be a coach in the SEC.  IF he does become an assistant for the Hogs or anywhere it will NOT be because he was the coach at Ark Baptist.  It will be for other reasons.

hound dog

all players and trainers can not stand Ostrum. This is from both players and trainers. Welsh is big trouble in locker room. We will see what happens after season

BigoBoys

Man what a mess!  It is been just a little over a year since the last mess got cleaned up and now another.  I hope the new admin understands that people will be paying attention how this gets handled.  Especially, the door greeter part. 

jfred59

Quote from: elksnort on March 12, 2009, 05:33:59 pm
What will Henry be doing tonight?

Having chips and dip in front of the tv watching the game. Playing some kind of video game, studying?

Shopping at Wal-Mart

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 12, 2009, 04:23:37 pm
Corliss had a very nice career in the NBA and is currently head coach at Arkansas Baptist.  I think he would make a GREAT asst coach for Pelphrey.  However, I was told today that Pelphrey will not fire Tom Ostrum under any circumstances.  

Porkatarian out...
Corliss isnt a HC at Baptist, he is an asst.   Corliss had his own issues while a player here......not sure he would set such a good example.

FireFireCrouch

Quote from: elksnort on March 12, 2009, 05:33:59 pm
What will Henry be doing tonight?

Having chips and dip in front of the tv watching the game. Playing some kind of video game, studying?

Studying? Ha.

My friends saw him at Gusano's Pizza earlier tonight. 

BigoBoys

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 12, 2009, 09:28:26 pm
Corliss isnt a HC at Baptist, he is an asst.   Corliss had his own issues while a player here......not sure he would set such a good example.
He is currently the Head Coach. 

klp1

Quote from: cdclark09 on March 12, 2009, 05:35:10 pm
If he doesn't fire Ostrum you will not renew?

I want to see a commitment to improve.  I do not see hope for improvement if he keeps the same staff (other than Evans who is likely leaving anyway).  These guys are not capable of recruiting against high-level D-1 schools.  For the most part, they whiffed on the quality players  and therefore had to settle for high risk academic guys and low character guys that the upper-level schools did not what to take a chance on.  At least with staff upgrades, there may be a chance to bring in a difference maker or two that could help turn this thing around.

YABBBUF

Pork; With your inside info; How come you can't break the news that both Ostrum, and Evans will be gone next year???

I hear Sutton and Dickey are frequenting Fayeteville over the last week...
You are welcome Slacker.

moses_007

What's the deal with Ostrum?  Why should he be fired?  If anybody should take total responsibility for this year's fiasco, it should be Pelphrey and no one else. 

Oliver

It doesn't matter.  Pelphrey has told those close to him that he will NOT fire Ostrum under any circumstances.

Porkatarian out...

This is what I want to hear.  I also want to hear that Long has the balls to do something once Pelphrey tells him this.

YABBBUF

O; Ostrum is gone and so is Evans; why don't you want to hear that?  Long won't have to hang his balls in the wind...
You are welcome Slacker.

Oliver

Quote from: YABBBUF on March 13, 2009, 12:26:05 am
O; Ostrum is gone and so is Evans; why don't you want to hear that?  Long won't have to hang his balls in the wind...

I want Pelphrey gone.  The most plausible way (in my eyes) that this situation could happen is if Long demands that Pelphrey fires Ostrum, Pelphrey refuses, so Long pulls the trigger. 

We don't need a band-aid we need a tourniquet.  I liked Evans and wished he wouldn't retire.

YABBBUF

Evans made himself irrelevant;  Ostrum is gone and so is Evans.  Pel will be here next year with new assistants, and who knows about 2 players??
You are welcome Slacker.

moses_007

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 13, 2009, 12:29:22 am
I want Pelphrey gone.  The most plausible way (in my eyes) that this situation could happen is if Long demands that Pelphrey fires Ostrum, Pelphrey refuses, so Long pulls the trigger. 

We don't need a band-aid we need a tourniquet.  I liked Evans and wished he wouldn't retire.

If he's gone, we Hogville folks will have to go back to watching where the U of A airplanes fly to.

midwestcityhog

i cant see pel doing that, calling the bluff of your boss after you went 2-14.  he'll can ostrum before he gets canned himself. everyone would

Razorvet

Quote from: moses_007 on March 12, 2009, 11:57:41 pm
What's the deal with Ostrum?  Why should he be fired?  If anybody should take total responsibility for this year's fiasco, it should be Pelphrey and no one else. 

Well that depends. If an assistant coach got into a physical altercation with a player it has to be investigated and if he was found to be negligent in his official duties hes gotta go. Pel cant be held responsible for Ostrum unless he tried to cover it up or something.

midwestcityhog

Quote from: Razorvet on March 13, 2009, 01:17:11 am
Well that depends. If an assistant coach got into a physical altercation with a player it has to be investigated and if he was found to be negligent in his official duties hes gotta go. Pel cant be held responsible for Ostrum unless he tried to cover it up or something.

and what if the 'altercation' was started by welsh and ostrum was deefending himself?  i have no idea and dont care either way, but its so bizzare that no FACTS have ever been said but ostrum is enemy #1 b/c a couple of posters write in rumors.  what if the 'altercation' was yelling and not like punching?  i mean blowups of screaming happen more often than we think, on any team.   

just saying, this is the problem with allowing the rumors to be in teh main forum; they ought to be in the rumor section, but thast just me

Razorvet

Quote from: athunt on March 12, 2009, 04:48:32 pm
I believe Corliss would improve any team in America if he was on the bench teaching and mentoring. Who better to exemplify being Nasty on the floor and getting it done off the floor.  He can show kids that you dont have to carry the same attitude you show on the court off the court.

As for recruiting, I dont know of a kid who plays basketball in Arkansas who doesnt know the phrase "Big Nasty" or who doesnt know who Corliss is.  With the upcoming superstars we have in this state, who better to send into their living room than an Arkansas legend.

+1.

chiefsfan

Quote from: jst01 on March 12, 2009, 05:43:16 pm
Exactly. Unless you're the next Lebron, the Hogs dont have to have you.

Id be willing to bet that if Pel is canned this season, there will be alot more then just 1 transfer

the players left would be post Nolan Richardson level I think
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Razorvet on March 13, 2009, 01:17:11 am

Usually the things you hear on hogville only cover part of the truth.   so my guess is that Welsh may have started that altercation.   and if thats the case... you cant really stop Ostrum from defending himself
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hawgbawb

Quote from: donewithdale on March 12, 2009, 06:12:05 pm
AD's should not force staff changes.  If they don't think their head coaches can manage their own assistants and the head coaches keep assistants that are detrimental to their program, the head coach should be held responsible and fired if necessary.  If Pel wants to be loyal to an asst that is hurting recruiting and the development of the team, he is putting himself and his wishes above the program and should have to deal with the consequences if his program isn't succeeding in spite of this assistant.  Did Long start telling DVH to change hitting coaches after we were at the top of the SEC in strikeouts and near the bottom in batting avg?  No because DVH is trusted as a leader.  Its a slippery slope when the AD meddles.
Agreed. And it makes it harder to hire a good successor coach.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

psooie

March 13, 2009, 10:06:15 am #226 Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:16:12 am by psooie
Yeah, not really a good idea for the AD to force changes but if pel wants it his way, he basically takes his life jacket off for next season...think he would need to make it to the NCAA tourney to come back for a 4th year if he ignores the wishes of the AD or others for staff changes...if he takes some advice now to shuffle things up, than he probably makes it to year 4 with an NIT bid next season.

Razorod

Quote from: psooie on March 13, 2009, 10:06:15 am
Yeah, not really a good idea for the AD to force changes but if pel wants it his way, he basically takes his life jacket off for next season...think he would need to make it to the NCAA tourney to come back for a 4th year if he ignores the wishes of the AD or others for staff changes.
good way of putting it. it might mean the difference between two years and one year to get things in order.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

coachd

Smart, somebody sees the light, "Trouble Makers Make Trouble" thats why you call them trouble makers. Come on there is a lot of good players out there that are good on and off the court. CLarke won't cause trouble and a few of the others either, Fortson, he will straighten up i think, we should keep him. Some, some of these guys should move on.   
Quote from: 3kgthog on March 11, 2009, 02:00:55 pm
Cut them now. I want the trash removed from this program. I can handle losses. What I can't handle is this once proud program becoming the basketball version of the old Miami Hurricanes, sans championships of course.

sylvia

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 13, 2009, 01:43:49 am
Usually the things you hear on hogville only cover part of the truth.   so my guess is that Welsh may have started that altercation.   and if thats the case... you cant really stop Ostrum from defending himself

Been wondering about that and if anyone on this board knows the specifics of the incident or if the rumor was floated out there and people have run with it...  The mods have pretty much confirmed that something happened, but nobody has said why it occurred. 

HawgnCorona

Some don't like Ostrum because he ruined any chance we had of signing Ky Madden. 

Some don't like Ostrum b/c he has alienated the well respected Rob Evans, who won't be back next season.

Some don't like Ostrum because he didn't want to offer Jeremy Adams during the early signing period, only to offer him during the late signing period and then lose him to A&M.

Some don't like Ostrum b/c he whiffed on every major target he was recruiting during the only signing period.

Some don't like Ostrum for having to physically restrained from attacking Welsh prior to the Ole Miss game.  Some actually applaud him for that.

Porkatarian out...

Its a slippery slope, Pel. . .
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Porkatarian

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 13, 2009, 01:43:49 am
Usually the things you hear on hogville only cover part of the truth.   so my guess is that Welsh may have started that altercation.   and if thats the case... you cant really stop Ostrum from defending himself

If that was the case, then why did Welsh start that game and play 30+ minutes?

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

dhornjr1

Oliver, we don't need band-aids or tourniquets.

We need major reconstructive surgery.       

heathtits

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 13, 2009, 02:56:05 pm

Porkatarian out...

If chiefsfan was orbiting the earth he could still come up with a way to justify the earth being flat.

sylvia

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 13, 2009, 02:56:05 pm

Porkatarian out...

good point...  this is like a maze.  Every turn you take leads to another, and to another, and on and on we go. 

rzrbackrob

Quote from: psooie on March 13, 2009, 10:06:15 am
Yeah, not really a good idea for the AD to force changes but if pel wants it his way, he basically takes his life jacket off for next season...think he would need to make it to the NCAA tourney to come back for a 4th year if he ignores the wishes of the AD or others for staff changes...if he takes some advice now to shuffle things up, than he probably makes it to year 4 with an NIT bid next season.

I think this sounds right, but any coach that is worth his salt would not get rid of an assistant just because the AD said to do it. I think if Pel and Long had this conversation, then Pel's leash would be very short. I would like to see Pel get at least two more years to see if we hired a good coach or not. If a team with Fortson and Clarke as Jr.'s can not get into the NCAA tournament, then I could see a reason to change direction in the coaching area.

Good is the enemy of great