Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas hoops

Started by newhog, March 11, 2009, 06:33:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

newhog

March 11, 2009, 06:33:00 am Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:26:30 am by WilsonHog
Most of the people that get on here love Arkansas basketball. The sad thing that is happening is how stupid people become when there is problems or you are losing. We are supposed to be Arkansas fans. We aren't supposed to act like some of these other places where people act like fools! Do you really think Coach Pel would have recruited these kids if he knew what he was getting? He had to take a bunch of kids because he lost 6 in one year. Your second year at a school it is hard to get 5 stars to come in, especially when you just lost your 6 best players. Pel played at Kentucky he knows what tradition is all about, believe it or not it is killing him. What about the good kids on the team? What are you saying to them when all you do is dog the team? If they knew what was being said it would devastate them. They know what some of you think but thanks to the people when they go out to eat that tell them they are proud of them and it is going to get better. That is what helps them go on. I have heard them say, I have never lost, I just want to bury my head and hide. Thank you to you that have said nice things when they are out and you that stay after the games.You are the true Arkansas fans.Things will get better and they will start winning and yes it will be next year.

thirtythree

Quote from: newhog on March 11, 2009, 06:33:00 am
Most of the people that get on here love Arkansas basketball.The sad thing that is happening is how stupid people become when there is problems or you are losing.We are supposed to be Arkansas fans,We aren't supposed to act like some of these other places where people act like fools!Do you really think Coach Pel would have recruited these kids if he knew what he was getting?He had to take a bunch of kids because he lost 6 in one year.Your second year at a school it is hard to get 5 stars to come in,especially when you just lost you 6 best players.Pel played at Kentucky he knows what tradition is all about,believe it or not it is killing him.What about the good kids on the team?What are you saying to them when all you do is dog the team?If they knew what was being said it would devistate them.They know what some of you think but thanks to the people when they go out to eat that tell them they are proud of them and it is going to get better.That is what helps them go on,I have heard them say,i have never lost,i just want to bury my head and hide.Thank you to you that have said nice things when they are out and you that stay after the games.You are the true Arkansas fans.Things will get better and they will start winning and yes it will be next year.When we start winning you can go to some other board and dog them cause you don't want success all you want to do is state your stupid opion so go back to your meth labs and do what you do because we will have success with the kids that are doing things right at Arkansas and Pel will turn this thing around.

I really like that post. I am afraid you will get bashed pretty hard for it, but thanks for making it.

+1

sirhog

Most of the people that get on here love Arkansas basketball. The sad thing that is happening is how stupid people become when there is problems or you are losing. We are supposed to be Arkansas fans. We aren't supposed to act like some of these other places where people act like fools! Do you really think Coach Pel would have recruited these kids if he knew what he was getting? He had to take a bunch of kids because he lost 6 in one year. Your second year at a school it is hard to get 5 stars to come in, especially when you just lost your 6 best players. Pel played at Kentucky he knows what tradition is all about, believe it or not it is killing him. What about the good kids on the team? What are you saying to them when all you do is dog the team? If they knew what was being said it would devastate them. They know what some of you think but thanks to the people when they go out to eat that tell them they are proud of them and it is going to get better. That is what helps them go on. I have heard them say, I have never lost, I just want to bury my head and hide. Thank you to you that have said nice things when they are out and you that stay after the games.You are the true Arkansas fans.Things will get better and they will start winning and yes it will be next year.

Thanks for the post. We often forget about all the good players who do not get in trouble and tend to focus on the bad ones.

Hoggy1

You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

HogBreath

So 5 star recruits shy away from a program that graduated 6 senors?  I did not know that.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Razorpigg

Quote from: HogBreath on March 11, 2009, 08:33:21 am
So 5 star recruits shy away from a program that graduated 6 senors?  I did not know that.

I don't think that is what the original poster's point was. I think their point was this and this only....Why be a Razorback fan and bash the team and the coach? Discussing issues is one thing but some take it to a whole different level. Some of us forget that the majority of our team are just kids. Not that being kids is a reason for their poor play but a reason not to bash them personally.

I like this post.  Hasn't been alot of positive posts on here in a while now and its good to be reminded from time to time of what is really important.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: HogBreath on March 11, 2009, 08:33:21 am
That's kind of what I was thinking.  Having 6 seniors graduate should make it that much easier to recruit.  Instant PT.

newhog

Or a team going to suck.A 5 star kid usually wants to go to a good program where he can be shown on tv.You have a lot easier time going pro if you are seen on espn all the time or going to the tournament.So that can cause kids to shy away.If you are a 5 star that is going to mean instant playing time anyway so why not go to a top 10 team?

Fatman

This is a great post that sums up most of what I feel about Hog basketball. As long as the coach is a man of integrity and handles the problems that arise in proffessional way he will always get my support. I long for the glory days of old but will not ever sell out to get those days back again. Players transfer, graduate ,etc. but tradition never graduates and I think Pel will get players who want to build on our tradition or he will at least die trying.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: newhog on March 11, 2009, 09:04:48 am
Or a team going to suck.A 5 star kid usually wants to go to a good program where he can be shown on tv.You have a lot easier time going pro if you are seen on espn all the time or going to the tournament.So that can cause kids to shy away.If you are a 5 star that is going to mean instant playing time anyway so why not go to a top 10 team?
Makes sense.  I can see that aspect of it.  But most of the time if you get a 1 and done player they could take a team to the NCAAT by themselves.  Look what Beasley did for K-State 2 years ago.  They had a couple of good role players, but he was the one and only reason they were good.

I'm not giving up on this team by any means, and I don't know if it's realistic to be able to replace 6 seniors and PBev all in one year and still be able to compete, but even saying that, it's very frustrating at how bad we were this year (on and off the court).

We're not used to this at Arkansas and it seems that our teams over the past decade are trying to get us used to it and that is the reason for all the frustration from the fans.

Trojan

great post.  negativity breeds more negativity and never helps sole any problems.  only makes them worse.  all these bashers i know they want the best for the razorbacks but in the end you are doing a lot more damage than you realize.  time is the only answer.  it was the answer for Dean Smith when they were after him and Mike K when they were after him.  There is no magic wand to win over night.  well not a legal one.

razorback93

I think most people are just reacting to the dramatic change from the non-conference season.  I, for one, did not see this coming.  I didn't think that they would go 14-2 and win the league, but I figured at worst 8-8.  I think he knew that he was taking a chance on a couple of kids, but these coaches are suckers when it comes to the troubled kid that has some talent.  They all think they can change him.  It's almost like the woman who marries the abusive a-hole and thinks that her love will change him. It usually doesn't work out that way.  I am concerned about the direction of the program, but I don't think tossing Pel out is the answer.  I think maybe he got lax because he allowed himself to rationalize that he is thin and it would hurt the team to suspend several players at once.  But if I am going to go 2-14, then I am going to do it with Kids who at least represent the university with class and do things right.  He needs to tell the problem kids to "shape up or ship out"  even if it means another tough year next year.

HawgAdvocate

+1 and thank you Newhog.

This post comes from a guy who also has close ties to the program. Some of you need to read the bold print and think before you rant and rave on the airwaves and go all out on these boards to drive your knee-jerk agenda.

You're doing more harm than good. That's my opinion.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Trojan

I am sure Pel wishes he had some things back.  But who doesn't.  There just was no margin for era and he, we, got burned.  Losing Monk was a killer.  Then some of these kids are just not ready in terms of maturity and not having older leaders made it only worse.  I suspect if Beck and some like him were srs on this team some of this would have been taken care of before Pel got to it.

HogBreath

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 11, 2009, 09:23:31 am
Makes sense.  I can see that aspect of it.  But most of the time if you get a 1 and done player they could take a team to the NCAAT by themselves.  Look what Beasley did for K-State 2 years ago.  They had a couple of good role players, but he was the one and only reason they were good.

I'm not giving up on this team by any means, and I don't know if it's realistic to be able to replace 6 seniors and PBev all in one year and still be able to compete, but even saying that, it's very frustrating at how bad we were this year (on and off the court).

We're not used to this at Arkansas and it seems that our teams over the past decade are trying to get us used to it and that is the reason for all the frustration from the fans.
Great point.  A player like Beasley choosing Kansas State pretty well kills that argument, or other examples would be Oden & Conley to Ohio State.

And to be fair, if we had PBev, Payne, McDonald, Monk, and a healthy Henry this year, we're a easy tournament team.  We really were not that far away.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

McKdaddy

I don't want to be overly negative on the team.  We're all frustrated, but the thing that scares me is the apathy that is beginning to overtake me concerning the program.  I can't stand that feeling--it is sickening.

I think Pel should get another year, but what then?  Say we are 5-11 or 6-10 next year--does that begat year 4 for Pel?  There are many questions to be answered this offseason, and we won't see the full fruits of any changes until roughly this time next year.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HogBreath on March 11, 2009, 09:45:56 am
Great point.  A player like Beasley choosing Kansas State pretty well kills that argument, or other examples would be Oden & Conley to Ohio State.

And to be fair, if we had PBev, Payne, McDonald, Monk, and a healthy Henry this year, we're a easy tournament team.  We really were not that far away.

Bill Walker was also very good for K-State. People always forget him, although he's now a Boston Celtic. Sutton is very good as well. But Beasley was a guy who came with his AAU coach, aka shady hire. And now, while K-State has 20+ wins, they're not recruiting anymore Beasley's.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hogbody

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 11, 2009, 09:23:31 am

That Kansas State team underachieved IMO.  They had Beasley and Bill Walker, who were both 1 and done players.

What do you think about Georgetown this year?  That team is stacked with high rated players.

The Boar War

Go ahead and label an opinion different than yours as stupid and people who think differently as fools.  Thats definitely going to get everyone on the same page.   

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The Boar War on March 11, 2009, 11:55:51 am
Go ahead and label an opinion different than yours as stupid and people who think differently as fools.  Thats definitely going to get everyone on the same page.  

The difference in his opinion and yours is that his mindset is much more closely linked to current Razorback players that we want to return next season.

rude1

Another it's not Pel's fault post. What else is new? It is a coaches JOB to not only recruit, but there is such a thing called evaluation. Maybe you apologist have heard of it before once or twice. You are suppose to evaluate not only the talent level of the kids you are recruiting, but also the character. If you believe that these players were poster kids before coming to play here, you are out of your mind. They didn't suddenly wake up after Pelphrey got them and decide trouble would be their middle name.

The reality is that Pelphrey isn't a strong enough recruiter to field a team without taking serious gambles on players. Most programs gamble on a player or two. Pelphrey seems to have only gotten a player or two who wasn't a gamble.

The Boar War

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 11, 2009, 01:52:33 pm
The difference in his opinion and yours is that his mindset is much more closely linked to current Razorback players that we want to return next season.

I'm not saying I don't agree with the meat of the article.  I understand that it's tough for the players who are doing the right thing on and off the court.  You won't find a single post in my history that criticizes Rotnei Clarke, Andre Clark, Marcus Britt, or any other player who appears to be doing a good job of being a student athlete.  There may be a few exceptions with Sanchez but it's from a technical point of view.  I'm sure these kids are good kids and are discouraged from this season.

That being said telling me my point of view is stupid, calling others, who believe the same way, fools, and asking us to go back to our meth labs is a little extreme.

rzrbackrob

I am against bashing players because we all know that family members, mothers and dads, brothers and sisters, read Hogville. When posting, I try to think how the young man's mother would feel about my post. I have my name in "rzrbackrob" because I try take .personal responsibility for what I post.
Also calling people stupid or fools does not help people understand your post.

Good is the enemy of great

newhog

I said how stupid people become not that they were stupid,and that fools at other places not that they were fools.A little sensative are we?

Biggus Piggus

To the original poster, thank you.

On this board there's a core of us, longtime members, who like to discuss the program in detail.  The audience has grown by a tremendous amount over the years.  Some people who read the regular discussions don't know what to make of them.  You have a group that takes every critique and spins it out of control, toward some dire conclusion.  Another group can't stand any form of critique.  I guess lately the knee-jerking is in the direction of "fire the coach."  It's pretty hard simply to discuss, for example, how on earth this team managed to be so bad on defense in SEC play.

This team's defense is historically bad, staggeringly poor to a previously unimaginable degree.  For example, in the second halves of SEC road games, the Razorbacks allowed opponents to shoot 50% from 3-point range.  How is that even possible?  If you think that is bad, in the second halves of SEC games at Bud Walton opponents made 65% of their 2-point shots.  Like a layup drill.  I saw guys like Allie Freeman, Scott Rose and Eric Poerschke play better D.  Stan Heath's first, seriously untalented team played vastly better D.

Arkansas has a long tradition of building around defense, going back 25 years.  The school has had other freshman-laden teams, but this year has been something special in the wrong way.  No one believes they are playing ball the way the coaches are teaching them, so the question goes to what the heck is going on in that locker room.  Until fans are more comfortable with all the unknowns, they are going to grope for answers, and people have fertile imaginations.  As it is, the way this team played is very difficult to understand.

Beyond those issues, a lot of fans are afraid that not all the players who suffered through this season will be back for another, and there are reasonable questions about what the latest recruiting class will look like when all the transcripts are checked.

Latest thing I hear is that the Hogs may give up on trying to sign a backup point guard and instead employ Rotnei Clarke in that role.  This doesn't answer the question of what kind of help will be signed in the spring period, or who will survive out of the November signing class, but in my view it would be a positive change.

Someone who is an average fan, or somebody close to the team, ought to sit back and let it all unfold, but on Hogville we try to discuss the future.  Those discussions are often light on fact and heavy with speculation.  No one should pretend that message board speculation is solid truth, as much as Wally Hall begs to differ.  Our prophecies often prove to be distantly related to reality.  But there was that Houston Nutt thing...
[CENSORED]!

Razorod

you have to wonder why pel signed two 6'0 or under guards in the same class. doesn't make a lick of sense unless, maybe it was because he couldn't be too sure one would ever set foot on campus, or if he did, how long he'd last. clarke's only shot to be an NBA player, i'm not sure he'll be one, but I'm sure it is his dream, is to be a pt guard ala Mark Price. i doubt fortson can last four years in college, but maybe he can survive one more season and give clarke the opportunity to make the transition from the two to the one for his junior and senior season. that may have been pel's plan all along. only he thought he'd have PBev to play the two this year.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

chiefsfan

Quote from: newhog on March 11, 2009, 09:04:48 am

This is pretty much correct.   if 5 star recruits really wanted to play for Arkansas we wouldnt have signed what  2  in the last 10 years or so
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Razorod on March 12, 2009, 03:35:36 pm
you have to wonder why pel signed two 6'0 or under guards in the same class. doesn't make a lick of sense unless, maybe it was because he couldn't be too sure one would ever set foot on campus, or if he did, how long he'd last. clarke's only shot to be an NBA player, i'm not sure he'll be one, but I'm sure it is his dream, is to be a pt guard ala Mark Price. i doubt fortson can last four years in college, but maybe he can survive one more season and give clarke the opportunity to make the transition from the two to the one for his junior and senior season. that may have been pel's plan all along. only he thought he'd have PBev to play the two this year.

Im pretty sure Pelphrey thought he would have Beverley to start ahead of clarke for 2 years...Thereby limiting the amount of time Clarke and Fortson would have to be on the floor at the same time the first couple years till they both learned how to go against taller players
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Trojan on March 11, 2009, 09:37:06 am
I am sure Pel wishes he had some things back.  But who doesn't.  There just was no margin for era and he, we, got burned.  Losing Monk was a killer.  Then some of these kids are just not ready in terms of maturity and not having older leaders made it only worse.  I suspect if Beck and some like him were srs on this team some of this would have been taken care of before Pel got to it.

The Razorbacks were 0-3 in the SEC before Monk sat down.  Losing Monk may have led to 2-14 instead of, maybe, 5-11 with him.  I'd like to believe the lack of bench is why second half defense was so terrible (if you want to know the numbers, 56% 2-point shooting, 42% 3-point shooting allowed in the second halves of SEC games).  But if it's true that internal conflicts kept this team from playing consistently hard, then Monk was irrelevant.

Anyone who closely followed Pelphrey's recruiting knows that the best recruiting job he did was on Rotnei Clarke, a completely issue-free, obviously high-major prospect who turned down great programs to go to Arkansas.  Clarke exactly fit the profile Pelphrey outlined soon after he took over at Arkansas:

"With our recruiting, we are looking for the absolute best players that can fit our system, hard-working, tough-minded, high-character guys."

And on signing day in November 2007, Pelphrey said:

"Our assistants did a very good job of getting us involved with good players who are high-character guys."

Amusingly, his first commitment for the 2007-08 recruiting season was Terrance Joyner, at the infamous Genesis One diploma mill and who has yet to academically qualify anywhere (despite two attempts).

Pelphrey tried to get going with a lot of blue-chip names that summer, but it was too late on most of them.  Two who rejected him were G Kemba Walker, who signed with UConn, and Willie Warren, the OU guard.

By fall, he had honed in on

G Rotnei Clarke
G Courtney Fortson
F Brandon Moore
F Laurence Bowers (6-8) of Memphis, related to Arlyn Bowers, signed with Missouri and is MA's most promising recruit
F Terrence Henry (6-9) of Monroe, La., signed with Ole Miss and became a starter
F Keith Ramsey (6-9) of Okaloosa-Walton CC, signed with Missouri
C Stan Simpson (6-9) of Chicago, signed with Illinois (and redshirted)
G/F Terrico White (6-5, 190) of Memphis, signed with Ole Miss, SEC freshman of the year
F Drazen Zlovaric of Weston, Fla., signed with Georgia (played 11 mins in five conference games)

Fortson, Henry and White visited the UA campus together.  Another trio who visited on a different weekend were Clarke, Simpson and Ramsey.

Later in the fall, Pelphrey offered F Andre Clark (Arkansas kid also at Genesis One, a former OU commit),  F Daniel Payne of Coffeyville CC (Indiana native), and G Varez Ward, a prep school teammate of Fortson's.

Ward signed with Texas.  Clark and Payne signed with Arkansas.  Payne was one of the few best juco prospects available at the time, according to those who make a living guessing about this stuff.  He wasn't quite as highly regarded by the end of his sophomore season, and then he did something bad off the court that ensured he would not graduate from junior college.

In the spring of 2008, Pelphrey signed Jason Henry of West Memphis via prep school, who had been considered talented but untouchable by many high-major programs; and 6-5 juco swingman Montrell McDonald from Cowley CC.  McDonald had signed with Texas A&M Corpus Christi, failed to qualify, gone to prep school, and spent one season at George Washington, where they regarded him as uncoachable.  As you know, not only did Payne and Joyner bomb out, but Fortson (eligible to get into college by a slim margin), Moore, McDonald and Henry (also in by the skin of his teeth) had disciplinary issues early into their first year.  McDonald is gone, Henry might be.

Pelphrey pursued many other big-name prospects for the 2008-09 recruiting season

F Clarence Trent (6-8), prep schooler with some Arkansas kin, signed with Washington
G AJ Walton from Little Rock, signed with Baylor
G Fred Gulley from Fayetteville, signed with Oklahoma State
C DeMarcus Cousins from Alabama, going to Memphis
C Kendrick Washington from Shreveport, unsigned
C Ekpe Udoh, who was transferring from Michigan, went to Baylor

F Marshawn Powell committed to Arkansas sight unseen in May '08, due in part to his friendship with current Razorback Stefan Welsh.  Powell chose Arkansas over...hard to tell, apparently Maryland, NC State and Virginia Tech.  He decommitted last summer hoping to get an offer from Virginia, but he couldn't qualify there, so he went back with the U of A.

Powell is a very good player who, according to some, is a longshot to qualify as a freshman.  Somebody put his high school coach on the spot and asked him, and of course the coach didn't say anything bad, but off the record it's a different tale.  This whole recruiting class revolves around Powell's chances of being eligible, and I just don't like that degree of gambling.

G Jemal Farmer of Cloud County CC committed in October, it was us or Nebraska.  C Anthony Borden of West Memphis committed in November, turned down Missouri and Ole Miss.  Borden also is an academic gamble.

Pelphrey and staff repeatedly have chosen to go for the blue-chip talents who are academic gambles.  They have spent mostly fruitless time chasing top prospects then settled back on the risks.  The level of prospects that are a little less touted but sometimes develop into high-end players, they haven't spent much time there.

At some point, we can look back and assess whether Pelphrey's decisions in recruiting were worthwhile.  It's not wise, I believe, to say those decisions and their outcomes are not his responsibility.
[CENSORED]!

Porkatarian

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 12, 2009, 05:43:38 pm
The Razorbacks were 0-3 in the SEC before Monk sat down.  Losing Monk may have led to 2-14 instead of, maybe, 5-11 with him.  I'd like to believe the lack of bench is why second half defense was so terrible (if you want to know the numbers, 56% 2-point shooting, 42% 3-point shooting allowed in the second halves of SEC games).  But if it's true that internal conflicts kept this team from playing consistently hard, then Monk was irrelevant.

Anyone who closely followed Pelphrey's recruiting knows that the best recruiting job he did was on Rotnei Clarke, a completely issue-free, obviously high-major prospect who turned down great programs to go to Arkansas.  Clarke exactly fit the profile Pelphrey outlined soon after he took over at Arkansas:

"With our recruiting, we are looking for the absolute best players that can fit our system, hard-working, tough-minded, high-character guys."

And on signing day in November 2007, Pelphrey said:

"Our assistants did a very good job of getting us involved with good players who are high-character guys."

Amusingly, his first commitment for the 2007-08 recruiting season was Terrance Joyner, at the infamous Genesis One diploma mill and who has yet to academically qualify anywhere (despite two attempts).

Pelphrey tried to get going with a lot of blue-chip names that summer, but it was too late on most of them.  Two who rejected him were G Kemba Walker, who signed with UConn, and Willie Warren, the OU guard.

By fall, he had honed in on

G Rotnei Clarke
G Courtney Fortson
F Brandon Moore
F Laurence Bowers (6-8) of Memphis, related to Arlyn Bowers, signed with Missouri and is MA's most promising recruit
F Terrence Henry (6-9) of Monroe, La., signed with Ole Miss and became a starter
F Keith Ramsey (6-9) of Okaloosa-Walton CC, signed with Missouri
C Stan Simpson (6-9) of Chicago, signed with Illinois (and redshirted)
G/F Terrico White (6-5, 190) of Memphis, signed with Ole Miss, SEC freshman of the year
F Drazen Zlovaric of Weston, Fla., signed with Georgia (played 11 mins in five conference games)

Fortson, Henry and White visited the UA campus together.  Another trio who visited on a different weekend were Clarke, Simpson and Ramsey.

Later in the fall, Pelphrey offered F Andre Clark (Arkansas kid also at Genesis One, a former OU commit),  F Daniel Payne of Coffeyville CC (Indiana native), and G Varez Ward, a prep school teammate of Fortson's.

Ward signed with Texas.  Clark and Payne signed with Arkansas.  Payne was one of the few best juco prospects available at the time, according to those who make a living guessing about this stuff.  He wasn't quite as highly regarded by the end of his sophomore season, and then he did something bad off the court that ensured he would not graduate from junior college.

In the spring of 2008, Pelphrey signed Jason Henry of West Memphis via prep school, who had been considered talented but untouchable by many high-major programs; and 6-5 juco swingman Montrell McDonald from Cowley CC.  McDonald had signed with Texas A&M Corpus Christi, failed to qualify, gone to prep school, and spent one season at George Washington, where they regarded him as uncoachable.  As you know, not only did Payne and Joyner bomb out, but Fortson (eligible to get into college by a slim margin), Moore, McDonald and Henry (also in by the skin of his teeth) had disciplinary issues early into their first year.  McDonald is gone, Henry might be.

Pelphrey pursued many other big-name prospects for the 2008-09 recruiting season

F Clarence Trent (6-8), prep schooler with some Arkansas kin, signed with Washington
G AJ Walton from Little Rock, signed with Baylor
G Fred Gulley from Fayetteville, signed with Oklahoma State
C DeMarcus Cousins from Alabama, going to Memphis
C Kendrick Washington from Shreveport, unsigned
C Ekpe Udoh, who was transferring from Michigan, went to Baylor

F Marshawn Powell committed to Arkansas sight unseen in May '08, due in part to his friendship with current Razorback Stefan Welsh.  Powell chose Arkansas over...hard to tell, apparently Maryland, NC State and Virginia Tech.  He decommitted last summer hoping to get an offer from Virginia, but he couldn't qualify there, so he went back with the U of A.

Powell is a very good player who, according to some, is a longshot to qualify as a freshman.  Somebody put his high school coach on the spot and asked him, and of course the coach didn't say anything bad, but off the record it's a different tale.  This whole recruiting class revolves around Powell's chances of being eligible, and I just don't like that degree of gambling.

G Jemal Farmer of Cloud County CC committed in October, it was us or Nebraska.  C Anthony Borden of West Memphis committed in November, turned down Missouri and Ole Miss.  Borden also is an academic gamble.

Pelphrey and staff repeatedly have chosen to go for the blue-chip talents who are academic gambles.  They have spent mostly fruitless time chasing top prospects then settled back on the risks.  The level of prospects that are a little less touted but sometimes develop into high-end players, they haven't spent much time there.

At some point, we can look back and assess whether Pelphrey's decisions in recruiting were worthwhile.  It's not wise, I believe, to say those decisions and their outcomes are not his responsibility.

GREAT post Biggus!

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Marshfieldhog

I wonder if Pel is going to go down with Ostrum, I'm sure Long will not be happy keeping him around..I mean a coach wanting to fight a player..c'mon Pel.

Razorvet

Oh I think this team has the talent dominate the watered down SEC. Thats why Im done making excuses for this staff. I want a grown up coach. I think these kids deserve a fighting chance not only to keep a lead but have a coach who knows how to get a come from behind win. If nothing else Long needs to send Pel to sit with an NBA team for some understudy. He has got some maturing to do and Id rather he not do it as our coach.