Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Silence is Deafening

Started by Iwastherein1969, March 10, 2009, 01:25:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chiefsfan

I imagine Long sees no reason to offer any kind of statement, because in his mind, there wont be a change, so why make a statement?

My guess is that he will meet with Pelphrey after the season ends as all AD's do.  Express his support, and discusses what can be done to fix what went wrong this year.   My guess is that Pelphrey will have full lattitude to make whatever changes he needs, including pulling scholarships.   

its really the only way this can go.   Firing a coach 2 years into his first major conference job when your next hire is probably going to be mid major anyway isnt a grand statement to make, and you cant expect to be able to help the program if you dont offer support to help him with whatever he needs to do to fix the program
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 11, 2009, 11:33:14 pm
There will be no end of contract, you always get a 5 year contract for recruiting purposes, the famed rollover. You usually don't see a coach not get a renewal due to schools using that against you.

So whether we get rid of Pel this year or 3 years from now, it's probably still going to be the same buyout.

This is correct.  Although Pel's buyout does increase depending on team record I believe

I also think he may actually get a slight raise depending on whether there were any incentives for beating top 10 teams in there
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 11, 2009, 11:28:46 pm
Then Jeff Long is about to make his first big mistake as AD.  I hope his first mistake is more of a "take it one game at a time next year" approach and not a "2 to 3 year free pass" mistake.

Honestly Oliver you really cannot call it a mistake until next season is finished

I mean if we turn around and win 20 games next year and make the NCAA's, would not firing him still be a mistake?

Oliver

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 12, 2009, 12:35:55 am
Honestly Oliver you really cannot call it a mistake until next season is finished

I mean if we turn around and win 20 games next year and make the NCAA's, would not firing him still be a mistake?

Sure, but do you want to give me the odds of us winning 20 games next year?

It's like taking a chance of leisurely driving in a bad ice storm.  I could end up getting where I was going, but it was still an unnecessary risk and the odds of me getting in an accident were really high.

thirtythree

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 11, 2009, 11:28:46 pm
Then Jeff Long is about to make his first big mistake as AD.  I hope his first mistake is more of a "take it one game at a time next year" approach and not a "2 to 3 year free pass" mistake.

His first big mistake would be to listen to irrational fans like you and fire him. I think he is about to make one of the best decisions. To show that he is going to give JP a chance to get this program turned around. If JP does not do that JL will have shown future prospects that he will give a new coach time to fix a bad situation. I personally don't think it will get that far as JP will do it first.

want2be

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 11, 2009, 11:26:45 pm
I'm still hearing that Pel's job is safe.  I wonder what our ticket sales are going be like next season.

Porkatarian out...

Long will give Pel speicified goals for next year and I would bet ticket sales will be in the formula.........I bet he won't raise the prices again.

I hope the first thing we see (starting next week if we are not in any tourney) is to see assistant coach changes...........although it is unlikely to get rid of one of the top 5 assistants ( I meant film editors) in college basketball.

hogtheball

Quote from: want2be on March 12, 2009, 03:17:47 pm

Long will give Pel speicified goals for next year and I would bet ticket sales will be in the formula.........I bet he won't raise the prices again.

I hope the first thing we see (starting next week if we are not in any tourney) is to see assistant coach changes...........although it is unlikely to get rid of one of the top 5 assistants ( I meant film editors) in college basketball.

I think some of you guys overestimate the importance of assistant coaches.  Usually, there's a "bad guy" in the bunch (discipline, conditioning) the players hate that one and every team needs him.  Then, there's usually an administrator (makes sure classes are attended, gets players out of trouble from time to time, finds them tutors, checks on grades, credits, and meets with guidance people).  From a xxs and oos coaching standpoint, it always helps to have a coach who compliments the fundamental weaknesses of the head coach. 

Assistant coaches don't need to be popular with the players, they just need to be good at executing the orders of the head coach.  Any assistants who complain to outsiders, give any information to the media not ordered by the head coach, or question the authority of the head coach in front of players in any way are a liability and should be eliminated immediately.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

ConHawg

I like reading ALL opinions and conjectures.  There are always new ways to spin things that provide new things to think about.  I wish people would stop jumping on folk's back for extreme points of view.

It is only the internet that Gore created (haha).  Anyone basing their beliefs on ANY chat room needs to chill out.  It is only a glorified water cooler that more people can waste time on.

But I still like it!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: grayhawg on March 10, 2009, 01:48:49 pm
What we need is a "vote of confidence" by the AD ;).
"We believe Coach Pel is THE BEST man for the job and look forward to winning  championships here at The University of Arkansas." ;) ;) ::) ::)
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

mountainhog

Next year should be what we guage pels future on.  Simple as that.  Imo.

sharks89

Some guys are a little premature. 
And, according to their wives, it's not isolated to basketball.

I know we are all still reeling some from the delay in busting the Nutts but show some patience and see what next year holds (same for your wives in the bedroom  :) ). We knew this year would be tough but should expect a competitive team next year (NCAA eligible) and very competitive the next (shot at Conference and descent NCAA Run).
The foundation is being laid and I think Coach Pel should be given a fair shake.  If there is no significant progress by this time next year, I say let the complaints commence.  Until then, I can't take any of this serious.

Go Hogs!