Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Silence is Deafening

Started by Iwastherein1969, March 10, 2009, 01:25:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

Jeff Long's silence in the plight of coach Pelphrey is deafening...it says a lot, in my humble opinion. AD Long has to know there is a ground swell of boosters out there who are totally dissatisfied with the direction of our basketball program and I honestly believe that if Pelphrey's job was as secure as most on this site believe, Long would publicly state as much, especially with the SEC Tournament coming up in two days. I know there will be some in here who will say that giving a coach the "public vote of confidence" is the "kiss of death" and thus Pelphrey's job is safe, however, I disagree in this particular case because Jeff Long is as straight of a shooter as one can get. Long is either doing 1 of 2 things....1) he's letting Pel "flap in the wind" in order to let him know that this year was totally unacceptable, or 2) he is looking for other options as this post is being typed.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Marshfieldhog

MaxMaloney

Or maybe Long doesn't think Pelphrey is in any "plight" whatsoever, so he hasn't thought he needed to comment on Pelphrey's job security.  If a majority even on the message boards think Pelphrey's job should be safe for now, then I don't think there are a "ground swell of boosters" clammoring for him to be fired.  I'm sure Long will make a public statement at the appropriate time, after he meets with Pelphrey at the end of the season for his evaluation.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: MaxMaloney on March 10, 2009, 01:45:10 pm
Or maybe Long doesn't think Pelphrey is in any "plight" whatsoever, so he hasn't thought he needed to comment on Pelphrey's job security.  If a majority even on the message boards think Pelphrey's job should be safe for now, then I don't think there are a "ground swell of boosters" clammoring for him to be fired.  I'm sure Long will make a public statement at the appropriate time, after he meets with Pelphrey at the end of the season for his evaluation.
Max...I didn't say there was a "ground swell of boosters" who wanted Pelphrey fired, I said there is a ground swell of boosters who are not satisfied with the direction our basketball program is headed...big difference, sir

grayhawg

What we need is a "vote of confidence" by the AD ;).

rzrbackrob

Or the AD may understand that this is the first year in a 3-4 year rebuilding plan.
Good is the enemy of great

thirtythree

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 10, 2009, 01:25:03 pm
Jeff Long's silence in the plight of coach Pelphrey is deafening...it says a lot, in my humble opinion. AD Long has to know there is a ground swell of boosters out there who are totally dissatisfied with the direction of our basketball program and I honestly believe that if Pelphrey's job was as secure as most on this site believe, Long would publicly state as much, especially with the SEC Tournament coming up in two days. I know there will be some in here who will say that giving a coach the "public vote of confidence" is the "kiss of death" and thus Pelphrey's job is safe, however, I disagree in this particular case because Jeff Long is as straight of a shooter as one can get. Long is either doing 1 of 2 things....1) he's letting Pel "flap in the wind" in order to let him know that this year was totally unacceptable, or 2) he is looking for other options as this post is being typed.

3. That he and JP have already met privately and are keeping their meeting between them. All you offered was insinuation with no facts.

That is the problem on this board and others. Everybody thinks they know what is going to happen, but offer no proof to their theory.

fact #1: JP is the coach of the Razorbacks. (no matter what the record is)
fact #2: He has not been fired.
fact #3: He has recruits already signed to come next year.
fact #4: Nobody knows what in the hell is going to happen in the future.

I'm sure there are more. I would be interested in seeing more "facts" and not "rumors". Anything from inside sources that is not substantiated is considered rumor no matter which side it is from.

donewithdale

I think you are right in that Long probably has it figured out that some of our boosters aren't happy with going 2-14 in the SEC and there are questions concerning our signed recruits and we need to make additional late signings.  That Long is one smart and observant guy.  Genius I say.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: thirtythree on March 10, 2009, 01:52:04 pm
3. That he and JP have already met privately and are keeping their meeting between them. All you offered was insinuation with no facts.

That is the problem on this board and others. Everybody thinks they know what is going to happen, but offer no proof to their theory.

fact #1: JP is the coach of the Razorbacks. (no matter what the record is)
fact #2: He has not been fired.
fact #3: He has recruits already signed to come next year.
fact #4: Nobody knows what in the hell is going to happen in the future.

I'm sure there are more. I would be interested in seeing more "facts" and not "rumors". Anything from inside sources that is not substantiated is considered rumor no matter which side it is from.
isn't that why we have forums such as these, to express our opinions ?

mhuff

Recruiting is hard enough without people putting the idea in a recruit's head that his coach is about to be canned. I think there are those out there that are trying to tear this program apart.

donewithdale

Quote from: mhuff on March 10, 2009, 01:58:57 pm
Recruiting is hard enough without people putting the idea in a recruit's head that his coach is about to be canned. I think there are those out there that are trying to tear this program apart.

Nah, they are just using the tactics used when Nutt was here.  Its like we all got so used to looking for things to attack the coach on in order to sway public opinion that now its second nature even though that former situation will likely never happen again here.  People can't be patient and let this play out as we'll know soon whether Pel will make it or not.

thirtythree

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 10, 2009, 01:56:05 pm
isn't that why we have forums such as these, to express our opinions ?

opinions yes. there should be no room for rumors and insinuation. those aren't opinions.

want2be

WHEN not if, Long comes out with a statement endorsing Pel, most fans will nip it just like they did when Petrino gave Willie his vote of confidence.

UAfan

Imo there's not enough there for a need of a vote of confidence.  Could be wrong though.

TorsinAHog

Hmm. Im a "booster" and not dissatisfied.  Of course they didnt ask my opinion :)
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

jkstock04

Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 10, 2009, 01:51:27 pm
Or the AD may understand that this is the first year in a 3-4 year rebuilding plan.
You know...a lot of people are saying Pelphery's first year didn't count towards this rebuilding phase (even though he got plenty of credit for the games we did win).  If this really was the case, how come the word wasn't put out in Pelphery's first year that it wasn't going to count?  That should have been the company line from the get go...but I don't ever remember hearing it til now.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 10, 2009, 04:09:44 pm
You know...a lot of people are saying Pelphery's first year didn't count towards this rebuilding phase (even though he got plenty of credit for the games we did win).  If this really was the case, how come the word wasn't put out in Pelphery's first year that it wasn't going to count?  That should have been the company line from the get go...but I don't ever remember hearing it til now.

They probably thought it was a given...but there are a few who don't really get it aren't there?

Wild Bill Hog

Maybe you guys need to let Long know there is a "ground swell of fans" not happy with a 2-14 SEC record - he probably isn't aware of it, and thinks everything is just super great in Hogdom.  I'm sure as of right now, out of ignorance of course, he's personally just tickled with a 2-14 record.  Better let him know and do it soon!

Newhopehog

I keep seeing  that we are 2-12 and I just checked to make sure and on the Arkansas Razorback board they show that we won 14 games.....Did we have to forfeit those other 12 wins????

WMHawgfan

the fact he is saying nothing means absolutely nothing. When has he gone public with anything about our programs other than the hiring of Petrino? He handles things privately as he should.

deshahawg

I wonder if this site will ever get away from the immediate jump that everyone wants someone gone when they have a bad season. After only one bad year this has already gotten out of control.

lovetthog1

Quote from: deshahawg on March 10, 2009, 04:55:10 pm
I wonder if this site will ever get away from the immediate jump that everyone wants someone gone when they have a bad season. After only one bad year this has already gotten out of control.

The worse season in Razorback basketball history conference wise. Add to that off the court problems and question marks in recruiting. Get your head out of the sand please.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 10, 2009, 04:09:44 pm

Rebuilding with mostly Sr. players was most likely not the right move last year. If the fanbase does not have the patience to go through the rebuilding process then we will be rebuilding for a long, long time.
Good is the enemy of great

HamminItUp

I think everyone is getting quite ahead of themselves. We have no idea what Jeff Long is thinking. This is the first time we will experience anything like this under Long.

Certainly, with the spike in ticket prices and dramatic decline in performance we would all like to believe he is looking into things. To try and read into the silence is pure speculation (I know that's why we're all here). Most AD's or GM's refuse to make comments until after the season. Frank always came out and said we will have our post season discussion and then see where we are.

All that being said, I hope Long is testing the waters.

El Puerco

If we had some top recruits ready to sign, I might feel a little different.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: WMHawgfan on March 10, 2009, 04:44:24 pm
the fact he is saying nothing means absolutely nothing. When has he gone public with anything about our programs other than the hiring of Petrino? He handles things privately as he should.

Spot on.  Long will let nothing out if he has his way.

N HOG

Just wanted to double check with some of you:

You do know we went 2-14 in the SEC, 1-6 at home in the SEC, had the worst home loss in our SEC history, got progressively worse as the season went on (please tell me there aren't any tapes of the second half of the Vandy game), lost to Ole Miss' second team AT HOME, had enough off-court issues to last a lifetime and have a WEAK recruiting class coming in. Oh, and played absolutely NO DEFENSE down the stretch.

With all that in mind, why not stay on course for another 3-4 years?

TheArkansasTraveller

Your kidding right?  Because you couldn't be more wrong with your conclusions! 

No AD will publically come out and claim any of his coaches are unsafe with their jobs.  You call that unsettling quietness, I call that a good boss.  I can tell you that Jeff Long is very level headed and knows what he's doing.  He likes Pel and and is going to give him every opportunity to succeed here.  Thank God we have Long running the show and not some of these lemmings on here that would even consider firing a coach at the end of his 2nd season without giving him a chance to build a program.   

N HOG

Quote from: TheArkansasTraveller on March 10, 2009, 06:30:52 pm
Your kidding right?  Because you couldn't be more wrong with your conclusions! 

No AD will publically come out and claim any of his coaches are unsafe with their jobs.  You call that unsettling quietness, I call that a good boss.  I can tell you that Jeff Long is very level headed and knows what he's doing.  He likes Pel and and is going to give him every opportunity to succeed here.  Thank God we have Long running the show and not some of these lemmings on here that would even consider firing a coach at the end of his 2nd season without giving him a chance to build a program.  

It all boils down to this -- either you think Pelphrey is in over his head or you don't.

I have absolutely nothing against the man -- don't know him at all -- and I wish him well in all his endeavors.

But I am one of apparently about 20-25 percent of the posters on here who firmly believes he is in over his head. I came to that conclusion by watching the games.

BigHog396

Quote from: lovetthog1 on March 10, 2009, 05:16:20 pm
The worse season in Razorback basketball history conference wise. Add to that off the court problems and question marks in recruiting. Get your head out of the sand please.
Why are you bringing up 1971?  What does that have to do with this season?

BigHog396

Quote from: N HOG on March 10, 2009, 06:27:50 pm
Just wanted to double check with some of you:

You do know we went 2-14 in the SEC, 1-6 at home in the SEC, had the worst home loss in our SEC history, got progressively worse as the season went on (please tell me there aren't any tapes of the second half of the Vandy game), lost to Ole Miss' second team AT HOME, had enough off-court issues to last a lifetime and have a WEAK recruiting class coming in. Oh, and played absolutely NO DEFENSE down the stretch.

With all that in mind, why not stay on course for another 3-4 years?

You do know you are wrong... don't you?

hogtheball

The truth is - there isn't enough of  a "groundswell" for the AD to even comment on it.  All rational fans understood that this was going to be a very tough year.   For the AD to even suggest that Pel isn't secure by supporting him would be silly.  Pel is safe, and any statement otherwise is laughable at this point.   Jeff Long is not going to over-dramatize the situation because he's a pretty sharp AD.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

N HOG

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 10, 2009, 06:41:46 pm
You do know you are wrong... don't you?

Were we 3-13?

We played well in the second half against Vandy?

Top-level recruits coming in?

Ole Miss' VETERAN first team beat us at home?

I know it's got to be one of those, but which is it?

BigHog396

Quote from: N HOG on March 10, 2009, 06:46:02 pm
Were we 3-13?

We played well in the second half against Vandy?

Top-level recruits coming in?

Ole Miss' VETERAN first team beat us at home?

I know it's got to be one of those, but which is it?

Wrong again... we were 2-6 at home in the SEC.

N HOG

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 10, 2009, 06:47:18 pm
Wrong again... we were 2-6 at home in the SEC.

Thanks....I feel much better now.

All is well.

Looking at the bright side, if we could have won one more at home we wouldn't have posted the MOST conference losses of any team in school history.

BigHog396

Quote from: N HOG on March 10, 2009, 06:54:06 pm
Thanks....I feel much better now.

All is well.

Looking at the bright side, if we could have won one more at home we wouldn't have posted the MOST conference losses of any team in school history.

Most losses, but not the worst conference record as some are claiming.  Yeah, it sucks, but what did you really expect with the rebuilding we had to do, and are still trying to do.

N HOG

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 10, 2009, 07:15:36 pm
but what did you really expect

I can honestly, truthfully and candidly say that I never expected to see Arkansas go 2-14 in the SEC. Under any circumstances.

want2be

I suspect Long will make a statement after the SEC Tourney endorsing Pel..Really folks, he is not going to fire a coach after two years who had to rebuild to the extent of Pel. I would guess there will be specific requirements for the next 2-3 years for Pel to meet and he knows the climb ahead of him.

HawgWild

Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 10, 2009, 05:22:26 pm
If the fanbase does not have the patience to go through the rebuilding process then we will be rebuilding for a long, long time.

Sir, we've been rebuilding since 1997.

BigHog396

Quote from: N HOG on March 10, 2009, 11:24:09 pm
I can honestly, truthfully and candidly say that I never expected to see Arkansas go 2-14 in the SEC. Under any circumstances.

I didn't either.  Just not shocked by it when I look at the hand we were really dealt.

Newhopehog

Quote from: HawgWild on March 11, 2009, 07:37:03 am
Sir, we've been rebuilding since 1997.

and that is all Pels fault????? why don't you people take your anger out on the people who are really responsible for this debacle....Frank Broyle and John White.....

HawgWild

Quote from: Newhopehog on March 11, 2009, 11:31:27 am
and that is all Pels fault????? why don't you people take your anger out on the people who are really responsible for this debacle....Frank Broyle and John White.....

I thought I was. It did all begin with them.

want2be

It is time to quit playing the blame game and start playing fix it..........Long needs to outline with Pel the expectations for this program including the number of wins, recruiting, assistant coaches, off court issues, butts the seats, etc.

There needs to be a well thought out 2 year plan in place and Pel needs to prove his worth. I think assitant coaching changes will be the first sign that a plan is in place.

TheArkansasTraveller

Quote from: N HOG on March 10, 2009, 06:36:16 pm
It all boils down to this -- either you think Pelphrey is in over his head or you don't.

I have absolutely nothing against the man -- don't know him at all -- and I wish him well in all his endeavors.

But I am one of apparently about 20-25 percent of the posters on here who firmly believes he is in over his head. I came to that conclusion by watching the games.

Like I said, I'm glad fans like you are not making decisions for the Hogs...

Porkatarian

Jeff Long is well aware that our basketball program is jumbled up like a pile of coat hangers.  We're going to learn a lot about Jeff in the next few weeks.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

cityhog

Here's the cold hard facts.  We cannot afford, this year, to cut Pel loose.  Paying 2 Head BBall coaches in this economy just does not make financial sense.  And Long is about the Benjamins.  We have Pel until his contract is up.  Anyone know how long that is?

Porkatarian

I'm still hearing that Pel's job is safe.  I wonder what our ticket sales are going be like next season.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Oliver

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 11, 2009, 11:26:45 pm
I'm still hearing that Pel's job is safe.  I wonder what our ticket sales are going be like next season.

Porkatarian out...

Then Jeff Long is about to make his first big mistake as AD.  I hope his first mistake is more of a "take it one game at a time next year" approach and not a "2 to 3 year free pass" mistake.

cityhog

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 11, 2009, 11:26:45 pm

Porkatarian out...
Bad tix sales + end of contract + uptic in economy = new Hog Basketball coach.

Until then, status quo.

Marshfieldhog

There will be no end of contract, you always get a 5 year contract for recruiting purposes, the famed rollover. You usually don't see a coach not get a renewal due to schools using that against you.

So whether we get rid of Pel this year or 3 years from now, it's probably still going to be the same buyout.