Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One of the 20 worst moments in NCAA history

Started by arkansas1994, March 12, 2018, 05:55:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arkansas1994

12. Tar Heels travel
Some moments in the March Madness hall of infamy are marked by overzealous calls by the referees, while others come from calls they totally missed. The latter turned out to be the case when No. 1 seed North Carolina and No. 8 seed Arkansas met in the Round of 32 in 2017. In what could've been a major, thrilling upset, UNC was only up by one with possession of the ball and less than a minute to play. Tar Heels point guard Joel Berry drove to the basket with 5 seconds on the shot clock and obviously took more than two steps while plowing into an Arkansas defender. No whistle stopped the action on what was a clear travel, charge or both. Instead, Berry was able to fling the ball away to Kennedy Meeks, who tipped the ball in for two points. Carolina coach Roy Williams admitted afterward, "We were awfully lucky."

Tejano Jawg

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

razorback1829

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

greenEGnHAWGS

It was a travesty, and a sham, and a mockery. A real traveshamockery!

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

alohawg

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 12, 2018, 08:15:06 pm

There should be an asterisk next to their title in the record books.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

revolution

And the uncalled walk against Carl Nicks for Indiana State that kept Arkansas out of, I believe, the Final Four.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: alohawg on March 12, 2018, 08:34:13 pm
There should be an asterisk next to their title in the record books.

Dilly dilly!
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Tejano Jawg

I just read all those...did you notice how many of these BUTLER was in?

This one kinda stood out—The Northern Iowa Collapse.
Northern Iowa was up 12 points with 35 seconds left (over Texas A&M) and statistically had a 99.99 percent chance at winning the game. But NIU gave up four turnovers and allowed A&M to stage the biggest last-minute comeback in college basketball history. A&M eventually took the W in double overtime. GEEZ...Northern Iowa pulled an Aggie against the Aggies. Too bad.

Our game against NC/Baby-Puke-Blue was so ridiculous. Did any ref in that game ever respond? I remember tweets from all over the country about that play—the stumble, shuffle, travel, charge seemed like it took 30 seconds. Enough time to make a call. But the desperation fling, rebound, put-back happened in 1/100th of a second. That's the part that kills me...the referees, knowing who was playing, pvssed out instead of making a call. They could have waved it off. That simple. Roy is a good coach...he should hand that trophy back to the NCAA.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 12, 2018, 09:32:54 pm
I just read all those...did you notice how many of these BUTLER was in?

This one kinda stood out—The Northern Iowa Collapse.
Northern Iowa was up 12 points with 35 seconds left (over Texas A&M) and statistically had a 99.99 percent chance at winning the game. But NIU gave up four turnovers and allowed A&M to stage the biggest last-minute comeback in college basketball history. A&M eventually took the W in double overtime. GEEZ...Northern Iowa pulled an Aggie against the Aggies. Too bad.

Our game against NC/Baby-Puke-Blue was so ridiculous. Did any ref in that game ever respond? I remember tweets from all over the country about that play—the stumble, shuffle, travel, charge seemed like it took 30 seconds. Enough time to make a call. But the desperation fling, rebound, put-back happened in 1/100th of a second. That's the part that kills me...the referees, knowing who was playing, pvssed out instead of making a call. They could have waved it off. That simple. Roy is a good coach...he should hand that trophy back to the NCAA.
the out of bounds call was even worse and Bailey's clean strip they called a foul on with 2 minutes left, it was utterly pathetic
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

rzrbkman

The worst non call that l ever witnessed in the NCAA tournament was in the 2001 Duke vs Arizona championship game. Jayson Williams the great guard from Duke had 2 fouls in the 1st half, went for a steal and landed on the back of the Arizona player, positioned there for several seconds. The officials did not call a foul, which would have been Williams 3rd foul and would have changed the makeup of the Duke lineup. Duke went on to win the championship.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: rzrbkman on March 12, 2018, 10:15:54 pm
The worst non call that l ever witnessed in the NCAA tournament was in the 2001 Duke vs Arizona championship game. Jayson Williams the great guard from Duke had 2 fouls in the 1st half, went for a steal and landed on the back of the Arizona player, positioned there for several seconds. The officials did not call a foul, which would have been Williams 3rd foul and would have changed the makeup of the Duke lineup. Duke went on to win the championship.

I loved that Arizona team with Richard Jefferson, Gilbert Arenas, Jason Gardner, and Luke Walton.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 12, 2018, 09:44:52 pm
the out of bounds call was even worse and Bailey's clean strip they called a foul on with 2 minutes left, it was utterly pathetic

Oh yeah, it wasn't just that one no call on NC...it's just so memorable because of the points that came from it. There were others too. Seemed like there was a screw job on Macon. This was the basketball equivalent to the Arkansas-Florida football game in the swamp, when they were ranked #1.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 12, 2018, 10:47:19 pm
Oh yeah, it wasn't just that one no call on NC...it's just so memorable because of the points that came from it. There were others too. Seemed like there was a screw job on Macon. This was the basketball equivalent to the Arkansas-Florida football game in the swamp, when they were ranked #1.
macon shot a three with 5 seconds left on the shot clock it got tipped and air balled and they gave it to UNC, after they reviewed they still gave it to UNC!! Easily tipped the ball spun the other ways!!

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 12, 2018, 10:50:20 pm
macon shot a three with 5 seconds left on the shot clock it got tipped and air balled and they gave it to UNC, after they reviewed they still gave it to UNC!! Easily tipped the ball spun the other ways!!

Yep, that was it. If these missed calls happen in the first half, they're probably forgotten. When everything happens in the last crucial 4 or 5 minutes, different story.

BannerMountainMan

Rome26

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 12, 2018, 09:44:52 pm

That one pisses me off the most because we would have went up by 7. Instead, Berry goes to the line to cut the lead to 3.

alohawg

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 12, 2018, 10:57:33 pm
Yep, that was it. If these missed calls happen in the first half, they're probably forgotten. When everything happens in the last crucial 4 or 5 minutes, different story.

I hope these boys remember all that happened and use it to dig deep when times get challenging in this tourney. They really deserve another go at it.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: revolution on March 12, 2018, 08:38:23 pm
And the uncalled walk against Carl Nicks for Indiana State that kept Arkansas out of, I believe, the Final Four.

...Or the called walk on US Reed after he was clearly tripped.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

revolution

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

GoHogzzGo

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

bphi11ips

Number 19 another blown traveling call favoring NC. NCAA tournament officiating has always been suspect.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 12, 2018, 08:15:06 pm

Right up there with the bogus charge called on Todd Day in Tuscaloosa in the closing seconds that took a win away from us.

I still count that game as a W. That was a real robbery right there.
Hogs up! Covid down!

010HogFan

The worst part of the UNC game was the Bailey strip that was called a foul. Would have been a clean layup on the other end. With that shot we would have broken them

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 13, 2018, 09:16:55 am
US Reed was tripped. 
Absolutely, the worst call in Razorback bball history. 

Inhogswetrust

Bob Heaton traveled by shuffling his feet on the last shot for Indiana State not called.

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

code red

LOL....#13 should be the choke turnover fest before the "non travel-charge call".  What were we?  Up 8 or 9?
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Inhogswetrust

March 13, 2018, 09:35:22 am #32 Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:47:05 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: revolution on March 12, 2018, 08:38:23 pm

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 13, 2018, 03:22:24 am
...Or the called walk on US Reed after he was clearly tripped.

Carl is the one that tripped Reed. Heaton traveled on the last shot.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: code red on March 13, 2018, 09:29:21 am
LOL....#13 should be the choke turnover fest before the "non travel-charge call".  What were we?  Up 8 or 9?
5 with 2:45 left

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Interesting thing about last years tournament is UNC played Butler after playing us. According to the box score and a brief game analysis, UNC had a harder time with Butler than us. On top of that, Butlers team was better last year
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 13, 2018, 09:16:55 am
US Reed was tripped. 

A family friend from Bentonville went to some booster function in Fayetteville following that season. He said Reed was there, and signed a basketball for someone— "I was tripped. U.S. Reed".

Quote from: alohawg on March 13, 2018, 01:08:39 am
I hope these boys remember all that happened and use it to dig deep when times get challenging in this tourney. They really deserve another go at it.

Well said. You just hope these "injustices" serve as a tool to tap that deeper fuel supply, not get them down. (I know I toggle between being depressed and outright pissed after a screwjob that costs us a game.) So many times you don't have a shot, but when you're playing a #1 team well—that's why I compared this NC loss with the Florida football loss—and are set to upset them, you don't want intervention from the officials that totally turn the tide.

And I agree, this senior group deserves some good things to come their way.

phadedhawg

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 13, 2018, 09:11:43 am
Right up there with the bogus charge called on Todd Day in Tuscaloosa in the closing seconds that took a win away from us.

I was so livid about that foul on Day.  I remember the next day at school everyone being worked up about it, but none more so that me.  Goodness....

rzrbkman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 13, 2018, 09:11:43 am

That was in 1991?

Mo_Better_Hogs

I think the comparison of this North Carolina game and that Florida football game brings up several points. Sure, afterwards the sting is greater for us, not just upsetting a good highly-ranked team, but a chance at the NUMBER 1 team. And then there's the way the officials view it. I don't believe every bad ref is on the take, however, it has to be true that subconsciously they are with the top team. And that force must be strong. They can't resist.

On the NC travel-charge-whatever it was---and by the way, thanks for the twitter video posts above >:( ---there were so many attention-grabbing things that went wrong. How could no one see them? Out of control dribble, NC player pinning the ball against his shorts, multiple stumbling steps with ball still below his waist, then flailing up that shot. Did nothing in all that get a ref's attention?

Refs will aways miss the small stuff. But that sequence was a mess and the refs kept their whistles silent. Heck, even if they'd made a call at all, even the wrong call (like a block), we would have been better off. And you guys are right, that wasn't the only missed call.

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: East TN HAWG on March 13, 2018, 09:22:21 am
Absolutely, the worst call in Razorback bball history. 

No doubt in my mind that the fix was in that day. That was the first year of true "March Madness" and all the TV and NCAA bigwigs wanted a matchup of Bird vs. Magic Johnson in the Final 4 which is exactly what they got. No way were we going to be allowed to win that game and mess up that scenario.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!