Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best college team in Texas

Started by parallaxpig, September 05, 2017, 06:06:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

Will TCU turn out to be the best college team in Texas in 2017. After what Texas, Texas A&M and Baylor did in opening weekend, I would say chances are good they are..........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I hope so. Will make a good win for our resume 8)
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

davglo35

Pre season AP top 25 only had Texas in it. They shouldn't have been. If TCU doesnt make the top 25 today, there won't be a single Division 1 team from texas in the top 25. That's incredible considering the high school football in texas.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: davglo35 on September 05, 2017, 06:17:39 am
Pre season AP top 25 only had Texas in it. They shouldn't have been. If TCU doesnt make the top 25 today, there won't be a single Division 1 team from texas in the top 25. That's incredible considering the high school football in texas.

It really is.....

HamSammich

You could make the argument that TCU is the best Texas program of the 21st century. Texas has a natty and a bunch of crappy years.

Hoggish1

I guess Tt doesn't count in Texass

parallaxpig

Lots of chatter on talk radio/TV that Texas High School players are over hyped on recruiting services. Don't know if I buy totally into that but it cant be just bad coaching..............
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Torqued pork

Pass-happy spread offenses has made a finesse game out of Texas high school football and it's had a negative effect on the state's college programs is a theory you hear often.

Whatever it is. you would expect better college football from Texas than what it has been in recent years.

GolfnHog

Quote from: Torqued pork on September 05, 2017, 10:08:38 am
Pass-happy spread offenses has made a finesse game out of Texas high school football and it's had a negative effect on the state's college programs is a theory you hear often.

Very evident on the defensive side of the ball where tackling has become a lost art.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: parallaxpig on September 05, 2017, 09:51:34 am
Lots of chatter on talk radio/TV that Texas High School players are over hyped on recruiting services. Don't know if I buy totally into that but it cant be just bad coaching..............

I've been of the opinion not overhyped but more developed than recruits from other places.  Due to the emphasis, resources, coaching etc. in Texas HS football, players are more physically developed and better coached when coming out of high school contributing to their rankings but may also be closer to their ceilings.  And over recent years, they come out of the finesse spread offenses. Other players catch up once in college programs with the coaching and S&C. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Razor1997

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 05, 2017, 08:23:33 am
I guess Tt doesn't count in Texass

A team that scores 50+ points and still loses as often as Tt does, doesn't merit consideration.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 05, 2017, 10:15:39 am
I've been of the opinion not overhyped but more developed than recruits from other places.  Due to the emphasis, resources, coaching etc. in Texas HS football, players are more physically developed and better coached when coming out of high school contributing to their rankings but may also be closer to their ceilings.  And over recent years, they come out of the finesse spread offenses. Other players catch up once in college programs with the coaching and S&C.
Nailed it.

davglo35

I've read that high school football is dying in a lot of states. Programs are being suspended due to lack of participation. A lot of kids don't want to play football anymore even if they thought they did earlier in their lives. Very few want to play defense because of the targeting crap they are enforcing nowadays. Did you see the BYU player tackle an LSU running back and he gets thrown out of the game. This is ruining the game IMO and I sure wouldn't want to play if im a villian because I want to knock your head off. Butkus couldn't play nowadays and neither could Ronnie Lott or Steve Atwater. I love what Deacon Jones said about Butkus. " When he hits you he doesnt try to put you in the hospital. He tries to put you in the graveyard ".

DeltaBoy

I want to beat them again and then hope they win out their regular season.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jkstock04

Quote from: Torqued pork on September 05, 2017, 10:08:38 am

Whatever it is. you would expect better college football from Texas than what it has been in recent years.
I don't know it to be fact...but the reputation of Texas high school football has taken a major hit the past few years. What was once considered to be tough and elite is now looked at as soft and overrated. That's just a perception I've heard said here lately.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

zebradynasty

I don't think it's a matter of Texas high school players being overdeveloped and therefore top out by the time they get to college. Arkansas has certainly benefitted from Texas RB's. Not sure if it's the spread either. Sumlin's calling card was the Spread Offense and he's had plenty of time to recruit the best players in Texas for that. For the most part the major programs in Texas have hired bad or mediocre coaches! Patterson is the Best P5 coach in Texas and it's been that way for awhile. What has been surprising is how these schools have just endured mediocrity for so many years with the SAME coach.

Wildhog

Quote from: zebradynasty on September 05, 2017, 12:06:03 pm
I don't think it's a matter of Texas high school players being overdeveloped and therefore top out by the time they get to college. Arkansas has certainly benefitted from Texas RB's. Not sure if it's the spread either.

I don't think it's as prevalent with skill players, but I do think there's potentially an interesting argument to be made regarding linemen/LB's.  I'd have to do some actual research, though.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ShadowHawg

Euliss Trinity is the best college team in Texas.

247Hog

What a tribute it'd be to Coach FB if we stomp TCU after the disaster start for Baylor, UT and A&M.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

zebradynasty

Quote from: Wildhog on September 05, 2017, 12:07:54 pm
I don't think it's as prevalent with skill players, but I do think there's potentially an interesting argument to be made regarding linemen/LB's.  I'd have to do some actual research, though.

Yeah that has been a criticism of the spread is lineman aren't physical but A&M mauled UCLA running.

SoCal Hog

Kilgore JC. They have the Rangerettes.
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

oldman1015

Pretty sure Oklahoma is the best team in Texas.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

hawgdavis

Quote from: davglo35 on September 05, 2017, 06:17:39 am

Maybe cause they play sissy ball down there now, that makes for softer players with no heart.
Sorry if this offends anyone but down here in Ga we play grown man football, with a few exceptions.
I would line up any of the top teams in Ga with any other states top teams and would bet you good money the Ga teams would win most if not all with the exception of a team like IMG Fl and other all American bluechip teams like them that should not play regular high school teams.

GoHogs1091

It could be a toss-up between TCU and Sam Houston State.

SHSU's QB will probably be drafted no worse than the 2nd Round of the next NFL Draft.

There is a strong possibility that SHSU goes undefeated and wins the FCS National Championship.

VBCHog

I think the hurry-up spread smoke in mirrors offense is showing its weaknesses in the state of Texas. Look at your dominant teams, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State they all run a more power game even though Clemson ans Oh State have some spread principles. You have to be able to run between the tackles and keep your defense off the field by having long drives. The kind of ball they play in Texas now is not sustainable and they need to get more old-school if they are gonna get back to glory.

PorkSoda

I don't think the problem with texas lies in recruiting.  they are all going through some internal turmoil right now, and that is going to affect the play on the field. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.