Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas adds Tulsa, Eastern Illinois, for 2018, Ga Southern for 2021

Started by ricepig, March 06, 2017, 04:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Not a bad idea when breaking in a new starting QB in 2018. The SEC is tough enough as it is, get wins where you can.

hobhog

I like playing Tulsa. Good Oklahoma exposure and decent opponent.

navyhog24

ricepig

factchecker

Non Cons for for the upcoming seasons:

2018:

Eastern Illinois
North Texas
Tulsa
(open spot left from Michigan)

2019:

Portland State
Colorado State
San Jose State

2020:
?

2021:
Georgia Southern

*Texas owes us a return game in the future.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jkstock04

Tulsa is a half way interesting opponent. I would put them on the same level as Memphis.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on March 06, 2017, 05:05:40 pm

2018:

Eastern Illinois
North Texas
Tulsa

2019:

Portland State
Colorado State
San Jose State

2020:
?

2021:
Georgia Southern

The Michigan series were to be the opening games for those seasons. We've scheduled an opener for both years now, but have the second week still open. The problem with that, it would have us playing 4 consecutive weeks to open the season in 2019 in Fayetteville, assuming we don't play at WMS anymore.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2017, 05:12:55 pm
The Michigan series were to be the opening games for those seasons. We've scheduled an opener for both years now, but have the second week still open. The problem with that, it would have us playing 4 consecutive weeks to open the season in 2019 in Fayetteville, assuming we don't play at WMS anymore.

We might schedule a pair of neutral site games if/when we get a "big name" opponent.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

VirginiaHog

2018:

Eastern Illinois
North Texas
Tulsa

2019:

Portland State
Colorado State
San Jose State

2020:
?

2021:
Georgia Southern

Texas is 2021

factchecker

Quote from: VirginiaHog on March 06, 2017, 05:44:04 pm
Texas is 2021

How did that game get pushed so far back?

Weren't we supposed to play them in 2009?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on March 06, 2017, 05:54:16 pm
How did that game get pushed so far back?

Weren't we supposed to play them in 2009?

We cancelled, they cancelled, or the other way around.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2017, 05:55:53 pm
We cancelled, they cancelled, or the other way around.

I know it won't ever happen BUT I think it would be cool to schedule them as a permanent non-con.  It would fill up our mandatory P5 slot and create a bowl like atmosphere every time we play.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ZERO

Quote from: navyhog24 on March 06, 2017, 04:40:56 pm
Really lining up those big names I tell ya

We had Michigan scheduled for '18 and '19. That's about as big a name as you can get. And we've done one P5 school every year OoC for well over a decade now.

What we do isn't any different from what anyone else does. 2018 is going to be weird because our big name canceled. Plus, playing in the SEC is already more brutal by default than three+ of the other P5 conferences on any given year. I'm not sure what exactly people are looking for or griping about when they roll their eyes at our OoC scheduling.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

factchecker

Quote from: ZERO on March 06, 2017, 06:18:43 pm
We had Michigan scheduled for '18 and '19. That's about as big a name as you can get. And we've done one P5 school every year OoC for well over a decade now.

What we do isn't any different from what anyone else does. 2018 is going to be weird because our big name canceled. Plus, playing in the SEC is already more brutal by default than three+ of the other P5 conferences on any given year. I'm not sure what exactly people are looking for or griping about when they roll their eyes at our OoC scheduling.

If/when we schedule a big name opponent the same people will be on here bitching about how we are going to get killed.  They will be laughing at the "sunshine pumpers" for being excited.

You have to be gloom and doom to be cool today.

Also, most of the people complaining don't go to games anyways.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jkstock04

Quote from: factchecker on March 06, 2017, 06:34:51 pm
If/when we schedule a big name opponent the same people will be on here bitching about how we are going to get killed.  They will be laughing at the "sunshine pumpers" for being excited.

You have to be gloom and doom to be cool today.

Also, most of the people complaining don't go to games anyways.
I think it's the other way around. Most of the integrity is all that matters police on here live hundreds of miles away and haven't set foot on campus in years.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 06, 2017, 06:47:42 pm
I think it's the other way around. Most of the integrity is all that matters police on here live hundreds of miles away and haven't set foot on campus in years.

Link?

factchecker

Really?

Well that would be news for my lot of 10 (immediate and in-laws..... majority of which are alumni) who show up to every home game.

Also, my wife and I routinely travel to a majority of away games..... we drove to the freakin Belk Bowl from NWA.

Most of the complainers also brag about never going to games.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Also, I'm assuming you consider yourself one of the martyrs for realists.  If you are unhappy with the scheduling then you can give up or sell your season tickets.

You can post your info here if you like:

Section:
Row:
Seats:

I'm sure you have great seats seeing that you are a big time donor.  Somebody surely would be glad to pay you for your tickets.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jkstock04

Quote from: factchecker on March 06, 2017, 07:03:07 pm
Also, I'm assuming you consider yourself one of the martyrs for realists.  If you are unhappy with the scheduling then you can give up or sell your season tickets.

You can post your info here if you like:

Section:
Row:
Seats:

I'm sure you have great seats seeing that you are a big time donor.  Somebody surely would be glad to pay you for your tickets.
You must be on the whiskey hard tonight.. looking for a fight I suppose? Big time doner? Lol When have I ever claimed such? You are usually better than this Mr fact checker.

I actually said something positive about scheduling Tulsa above in case you missed it. I also like that we are playing on Thursday night this year opening game. I am a realist though...since 2012 overall football program has not been good, in fact terrible at times. Does that make me a bad fan acknowledging that and lamenting about it?

BTW, I usually go to one away game/year as well. So congrats on that. I can point to you people on this board who think going to games as a hobby is a brain dead dumb way to spend hard earned $$$.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

factchecker

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 06, 2017, 07:16:50 pm
You must be on the whiskey hard tonight.. looking for a fight I suppose? Big time doner? Lol When have I ever claimed such? You are usually better than this Mr fact checker.

I actually said something positive about scheduling Tulsa above in case you missed it. I also like that we are playing on Thursday night this year opening game. I am a realist though...since 2012 overall football program has not been good, in fact terrible at times. Does that make me a bad fan acknowledging that and lamenting about it?

BTW, I usually go to one away game/year as well. So congrats on that. I can point to you people on this board who think going to games as a hobby is a brain dead dumb way to spend hard earned $$$.

Great, a self-proclaimed realist who thinks supporting the program is dumb.

If you think donating or buying tickets is a "brain dead dumb way to spend hard earned $$$" then you aren't much of a fan.  Complaining without contributing is similar to being pissed about the roads but refusing to pay taxes.

ADD: Nope, no whiskey for me.  I don't complain about ticket prices or opponents while WASTING money on alcohol and tobacco.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jkstock04

Quote from: factchecker on March 06, 2017, 07:20:16 pm
Great, a self-proclaimed realist who thinks supporting the program is dumb.

If you think donating or buying tickets is a "brain dead dumb way to spend hard earned $$$" then you aren't much of a fan.  Complaining without contributing is similar to being pissed about the roads but refusing to pay taxes.

ADD: Nope, no whiskey for me.  I don't complain about ticket prices or opponents while WASTING money on alcohol and tobacco.
Don't shoot the messenger! I'm just telling you I can think of 3 or 4 active posters that would call myself and you idiots simply for writing checks to the foundation and making going to games a big part of our lives in the fall.

For you going to most every away game? I give you props for that...super fan status. And I'm not being sarcastic (if it came off that way).
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

factchecker

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 06, 2017, 07:25:46 pm
Don't shoot the messenger! I'm just telling you I can think of 3 or 4 active posters that would call myself and you idiots simply for writing checks to the foundation and making going to games a big part of our lives in the fall.

For you going to most every away game? I give you props for that...super fan status. And I'm not being sarcastic (if it came off that way).

I don't want to be called a super fan.  I'm blessed to a have a wife who loves the Razorbacks as much as I do.  She doesn't like vacationing in Florida or going to Cancun (unless we play a bowl game there).  She's rather save the money and attend more games.  The only two games we missed last season was TCU and Auburn (thank god).

Also, I really don't think you have to attend games to be a fan.  Not everyone is financially stable or physically able to attend games.  The travel, hotel, and being around strangers can eliminate the benefits of going to a game for plenty of fans.  I do think that it is a worthwhile venture to invest some money into the program or at least bring your children/grandchildren up for some time of Razorback event.

ADD:  I really want us to find a top notch opponent to fill the Michigan spot.  I know I'm a "sunshine pumper" who will go to any game but I still want a marquee opponent.  I hope we can get someone soon.  As much grief as I give WMS I think it would be cool to play our final game there against a big name opponent. We could play either Texas or maybe play the last conference game in WMS vs. LSU.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 06, 2017, 05:11:24 pm
Tulsa is a half way interesting opponent. I would put them on the same level as Memphis.
Exactly. 80% win odds against a regional D1 opponent in an area the Hogs are trying to get re-established = Win.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Here's the problem with the "integrity is all that matters police" - they don't exist on here. It's a complete strawman argument. There are some on here who advocate very strongly for integrity as a component of the program but not as the end all be all.

jkstock04

Quote from: factchecker on March 06, 2017, 07:29:56 pm
I don't want to be called a super fan.  I'm blessed to a have a wife who loves the Razorbacks as much as I do.  She doesn't like vacationing in Florida or going to Cancun (unless we play a bowl game there).  She's rather save the money and attend more games.  The only two games we missed last season was TCU and Auburn (thank god).

Also, I really don't think you have to attend games to be a fan.  Not everyone is financially stable or physically able to attend games.  The travel, hotel, and being around strangers can eliminate the benefits of going to a game for plenty of fans.  I do think that it is a worthwhile venture to invest some money into the program or at least bring your children/grandchildren up for some time of Razorback event.

ADD:  I really want us to find a top notch opponent to fill the Michigan spot.  I know I'm a "sunshine pumper" who will go to any game but I still want a marquee opponent.  I hope we can get someone soon.  As much grief as I give WMS I think it would be cool to play our final game there against a big name opponent. We could play either Texas or maybe play the last conference game in WMS vs. LSU.
Me too. I was bummed big time when they backed out. Now THAT would've been a road trip game of a lifetime. Getting to see the Hogs play in the Big House. Way she goes I guess.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

factchecker

I think Ole Miss has the Memphis rivalry sewed up but that could be a program that we schedule to play in the future.

Liberty Bowl is a good stadium and we have a ton of fans in that area.

Houston is another opponent that we could play.

I think both Houston and Memphis deserve to be in a P5 conference but they are still good teams in great recruiting areas regardless.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 06, 2017, 07:35:05 pm
Me too. I was bummed big time when they backed out. Now THAT would've been a road trip game of a lifetime. Getting to see the Hogs play in the Big House. Way she goes I guess.

I want to play at Notre Dame.  If we won I would put a hog hat on the Lou Holtz statue:

I tried putting one on Mississippi State's Bully statue last season but there were way too many cowbells around.  I was just happy that we won.  I was impressed with how improved their facilities are.  Starkville isn't a great city but their stadium is pretty nice.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

You don't have to live hundreds of miles away to care about having a higher degree of integrity in the way the program is run.

What irritates me are the folks who only care about winning and who would be the first ones to complain and moan and call for the HC's head if we were put on probation, lost scholarships and had a bowl ban for a couple of years. Or the folks who plead for integrity in the way the program is run and then whine when we don't win more games every year because they can't have both, integrity in the program and 10-11 wins every year. We probably aren't going to get to have both the vast majority of the time because that just isn't how all of this works playing in the SEC.

Want to have both every year? Then let's move down to the AAC (like Tulsa, an outstanding academic school), win the conference every few years and be satisfied with a decent but not great bowl every year and not be able to keep a good coach because we become a stepping stone to a better job.

Now no one is going to go for that so everyone needs to just find a middle ground and be happy that we "might" make a run at contention in the SEC West once every 5 years or so, but generally get to go to a good to very good bowl most years and produce solid young men who are going to be a proud part of the Arkansas legacy over the years of their adulthood. That may sound corny to some, but there are folks who really care about that more than they place value on winning 10-11 games every year and in being in the CCG race.
Go Hogs Go!

jkstock04

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on March 06, 2017, 07:34:50 pm
Here's the problem with the "integrity is all that matters police" - they don't exist on here. It's a complete strawman argument. There are some on here who advocate very strongly for integrity as a component of the program but not as the end all be all.
Sure seems to me that is an element that is taking the place of actual football. Not just on Hogville, it's a change of culture starting at the top. I really don't think it's my imagination. But that's a different topic different thread.

Sorry I brought it up.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 06, 2017, 07:39:50 pm
Sure seems to me that is an element that is taking the place of actual football. Not just on Hogville, it's a change of culture starting at the top. I really don't think it's my imagination. But that's a different topic different thread.

Sorry I brought it up.

See, I think it is your imagination. It's part of the process, to borrow from St. Nick. We aren't throwing away wins in order to complete, we just want good students, good citizens, and good records. Now, do we hit on all of those, of course not, but to have all of that is something to strive for, you agree?

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 06, 2017, 07:39:50 pm

Sorry I brought it up.
I see it more as an augmentation and not a total replacement. It plays well at Arkansas where the program may only be really competitive every 5-6 years and therefore needs to hang its hat on other positives off the field.

247Hog

Glad to play Tulsa. Many i know in that area like Arkansas and prefer Razorbacks over Okie Lite and OU.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

hogcard1964

Hawgar The Horrible

MOST of the "integrity is the only thing that matters police on here" is comprised of 3 or 4 active posters? And that represents a change in culture?

In effort to not get banned I will just say WOW.

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

gchamblee

EastexHawg

2018:

Eastern Illinois
North Texas
Tulsa

2019:

Portland State
Colorado State
San Jose State

2020:
?

2021:
Georgia Southern

I wouldn't walk across the street to watch any of those "contests".  Slippery Rock and Heidelberg must not have been available.

With the coming changes in TV contracts, cheaper sports packages for consumers, and possible lower conference payouts to member programs, these schools are playing with fire with these unattractive matchups.  Who besides a parent of one of the players or someone who shows up mainly for tailgating would willingly pay to see an SEC school play any of those pushovers?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_Iceman

Unless you are battling for a playoff spot, which we aren't, why not schedule 4 non conference wins and just pad the win stats? Cause we all know if Bielema scheduled Ohio State, Clemson, and Florida State and lost all 3, his haters would be saying "He only won 5 games this year, fire him!"

gchamblee

The "wins are all that matter" crowd sure seems to be struggling with how this all works.

southeasthog

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 07, 2017, 08:25:57 am
I wouldn't walk across the street to watch any of those "contests".  Who besides a parent of one of the players or someone who shows up mainly for tailgating would willingly pay to see an SEC school play any of those pushovers?
Actual fans of the team and people who don't only live to bitch and moan.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

jkstock04

Quote from: southeasthog on March 07, 2017, 10:00:35 am
Aren't you one of the ones on here who think it's dumb to donate/buy tickets?

If I have you mistaken for someone else sorry in advance.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 07, 2017, 08:25:57 am
I wouldn't walk across the street to watch any of those "contests".  Slippery Rock and Heidelberg must not have been available.

With the coming changes in TV contracts, cheaper sports packages for consumers, and possible lower conference payouts to member programs, these schools are playing with fire with these unattractive matchups.  Who besides a parent of one of the players or someone who shows up mainly for tailgating would willingly pay to see an SEC school play any of those pushovers?

Not playing with fire at all. With so many people willing to buy season tickets to "keep their spot", or to make sure to have seats to the "good" games, these schools have nothing to worry about. Fans, not just Hogs fans but fans in general, have been whining about the creampuff games for decades, but by and large they still show up in numbers big enough to make it worthwhile for schools to keep scheduling them. Why do you think Bama plays a school like T-chat? Because it is a money maker, a sure win, and a chance to rest their players during the season.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The OTR

southeasthog

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 07, 2017, 10:07:43 am
Aren't you one of the ones on here who think it's dumb to donate/buy tickets?

If I have you mistaken for someone else sorry in advance.
You are mistaken. I donate to the RF and have had season tickets since 2010. We also travel to Dallas for the A&M game.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

snoblind

gchamblee

Quote from: southeasthog on March 07, 2017, 10:00:35 am

He has no explanation of how the stadium gets so full for all of these games

LZH