Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Naturalstatereb

Started by bigpigpimpin, November 26, 2017, 09:39:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

What do you think of ole miss hiring Matt Luke?

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

mj4president

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 26, 2017, 09:39:27 pm

Is Paul Roads a real play?
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

Großer Kriegschwein

Lol.

Nah, that's really Norvell in a Matt Luke suit.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hawghiggs

I don't blame Ole Miss for hiring him.  That's going to be a tough situation soon and he can just maintain it for 2 or 3 seasons for them.

Con el Cerdos

Hiring Luke is probably the best hire they could make, not knowing what the NCAA has in store for the program. Not a lot of proven coaches want to jump into a hot mess like Ole Miss is going to be.

He'll keep the program running through the sanction period and if he pulls a Bret, he'll be gone in 3 or 4 years.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on November 26, 2017, 10:22:22 pm
Hiring Luke is probably the best hire they could make, not knowing what the NCAA has in store for the program. Not a lot of proven coaches want to jump into a hot mess like Ole Miss is going to be.

He'll keep the program running through the sanction period and if he pulls a Bret, he'll be gone in 3 or 4 years.

Couldn't imagine anyone much better willing to jump into that fire.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 26, 2017, 10:25:23 pm
Couldn't imagine anyone much better willing to jump into that fire.

How about this guy, I hear he's looking for work. Should fit right in.
This is my non-signature signature.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 26, 2017, 09:51:19 pm
I don't blame Ole Miss for hiring him.  That's going to be a tough situation soon and he can just maintain it for 2 or 3 seasons for them.

I think this is pretty close to the mark. It kind of reminds me of the Bill O'Brien hire at Penn State. I think some top guys said no, and Luke had more up sides than the remaining candidates. He's an Ole Miss guy 100%, so you know he's going to be willing to gut it out during whatever the NCAA throws at us. He won't be particularly expensive, either. If he flames out in 2 or 3 years, we'll be in better position to make a hire than we are now; if he wins consistently then we can all drop the confetti. The GOBN down there will love an inside-the-family hire. Considering our situation and the coaching market right now, I'm not surprised it's Luke, although I thought they might go with Chad Morris.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

popcornhog

If I'm Ole Miss, I would've hired him.

There is no way any half way decent coach would give OM a serious look with the NCAA cloud hovering above and Luke did a fair job of not letting the Rebs completely crumble this year, given the circumstances. Will he ever have great success in Oxford? Doubtful, but I do think he could be a decent caretaker while they step back and figure out what's next.
WPS

LuckyGiraffe

I think this means EVERYONE told them 'No.' You don't hire a search firm and announce the search for a permanent coach if you have any plans to hand it to the interim head coach. Nobody would be willing to touch that job under the circumstances until the NCAA hands down the final punishment. I can't imagine Chad Morris being willing to make that move at this time. If I were a sitting head coach, you would have to make me one of the two or three highest paid coaches in the country to be willing to put my career on the line in that job with the current circumstances.

regi

What options did they really have? Hire Jethro, or give someone a 6 year guarantee, supporting him through a tough stretch to come the next 3-4 years.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: LuckyGiraffe on November 26, 2017, 11:02:17 pm
I think this means EVERYONE told them 'No.' You don't hire a search firm and announce the search for a permanent coach if you have any plans to hand it to the interim head coach.

LSU did last year... used the same search firm too.

LuckyGiraffe

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on November 27, 2017, 02:37:24 am
I think everyone told LSU 'No' also. If Les's success wasn't good enough, who was going to take that job?

Maybe folks should stop using that search firm!

rzrbk4life

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on November 27, 2017, 02:37:24 am

Interesting, did not know that
Let's call those hogs!!!!

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: LuckyGiraffe on November 26, 2017, 11:02:17 pm
I think this means EVERYONE told them 'No.' You don't hire a search firm and announce the search for a permanent coach if you have any plans to hand it to the interim head coach. Nobody would be willing to touch that job under the circumstances until the NCAA hands down the final punishment. I can't imagine Chad Morris being willing to make that move at this time. If I were a sitting head coach, you would have to make me one of the two or three highest paid coaches in the country to be willing to put my career on the line in that job with the current circumstances.

Heard Chad Morris was on the losing end of a GOBN internal struggle.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.