Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dave Aranda

Started by hawg66, November 06, 2017, 09:03:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawg66

I know everyone loves offense but this guy is a future star. If you want a real SEC defense start here.

Thoughts?

hawg66

November 06, 2017, 10:05:51 am #1 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:23:55 am by hawg66
Haha. No comments makes me think makes me think many here know nothing about him.

Ironhawg

Quote from: hawg66 on November 06, 2017, 10:05:51 am
Haha. No comments makes me think makes y here know nothing about him.

He is viewed as one of the top defensive coordinators in college football today.  Is he ready to step up and be the head man?

hawg66

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 06, 2017, 10:19:24 am
He is viewed as one of the top defensive coordinators in college football today.  Is he ready to step up and be the head man?
I think someone is going to give him that chance. He checks every box except HC experience. I mainly wonder what folks here would think about a defense first coach. In my thinking he's no greater of a reach than Norvell or some of the other up and comers.

Ironhawg

Quote from: hawg66 on November 06, 2017, 10:27:32 am
I think someone is going to give him that chance. He checks every box except HC experience. I mainly wonder what folks here would think about a defense first coach. In my thinking he's no greater of a reach than Norvell or some of the other up and comers.

I can't disagree. 

Tick Hog

I think if you truly wanted a defense first team and mindset you would have to change the entire culture. That would probably mean getting our brains beat in for at least the first 2-3 years until you started seeing progress. I don't think we as a fan base would be patient enough after what we've had to endure lately.

GoPigs69

It seems a couple schools in the SEC are doing quite well by hiring up and coming Defensive Coordinators (USC and Georgia) -

I don't think that's a horrible idea but I think I'd prefer Brent Venables - he should have some recruiting ties to Texas having been at OU for quite awhile...

hawg66

I'd be for taking the shot. Whoever comes in has got some work to do. I'd be okay with keeping Enos and turning him loose. Lessen the makeover on that side of the ball  Aranda has had top 15 defenses every year for the last six years, at three different schools. Including Utah State. He plays aggressive defense with a premium on speed and disruption. 

He's the kind of guy Broyles would identify. A coaches coach

The Hawg Marshal

I've heard a lot worse candidates mentioned.

hawg66

Defense. Defense. Defense.

ipigsooie

I think one  problem with hiring a defensive first guy  at arkansas is of the past 2 hires we have hired what people view as an offensive first guy and then a guy who is considered a defensive first guy (not saying I think CBB is a defensive guy necessarily)  and they compare the success of the two. I'm not sure how indeed about us hiring a defensive coordinator. I think we could do a lot worse than venables or Aranda,  but I personally would hope for an offensive guy. I'm not saying that's right or wrong but that is preference.  My best memories of razorback football are the Matt Jones moments and the high flying Petrino offense. I'll never forget the Hamilton td before halftime against LSU. 

Again, I know my opinion amounts to a hill of beans but my personal preference is to bring in a powerful, innovative offense and hope for a middle of the sec type defense like we had under Petrino.

ipigsooie

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 10, 2017, 08:24:14 am
I think one  problem with hiring a defensive first guy  at arkansas is of the past 2 hires we have hired what people view as an offensive first guy and then a guy who is considered a defensive first guy (not saying I think CBB is a defensive guy necessarily)  and they compare the success of the two. I'm not sure how indeed about us hiring a defensive coordinator. I think we could do a lot worse than venables or Aranda,  but I personally would hope for an offensive guy. I'm not saying that's right or wrong but that is preference.  My best memories of razorback football are the Matt Jones moments and the high flying Petrino offense. I'll never forget the Hamilton td before halftime against LSU. 

Again, I know my opinion amounts to a hill of beans but my personal preference is to bring in a powerful, innovative offense and hope for a middle of the sec type defense like we had under Petrino.

Oh and who can forget the wild hog with Jones, dmac and hillis.  Sorry for the omit

hogginbama

Quote from: Tick Hog on November 06, 2017, 10:58:06 am
I think if you truly wanted a defense first team and mindset you would have to change the entire culture. That would probably mean getting our brains beat in for at least the first 2-3 years until you started seeing progress. I don't think we as a fan base would be patient enough after what we've had to endure lately.

I don't think there is a fan base around any longer who can look at a long-term project and believe it could take a 2-3 year stretch to see progress. Could you imagine the melt-down a fan-base would have if a new coach came in and during the press conference said "this is my plan, it will be year 4 or 5 before you start seeing a winning team. The first 3, expect many, many losses and no bowl games because we will be redoing the entire scheme"? They would run him out immediately.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

SquidBilly

I actually think if you bring in the right coach that we have players on campus to allow them to be successful right away.  However rather than shoe-horning them into a system it will take a guy who's willing to take the time to do the evaluation and figure out how to best maximize the talent.  Aranda seems like he could do that for the defense, the big key would be who he can get for the offense.  One guy I have in mind as his OC is Paul Petrino.  He isn't long for the Idaho job and when he was here, even though his brother called plays, we had offenses we could all be proud of.  Now would he want to come back, who knows?

Dwight_K_Shrute

I think if you go coordinator route Venables should be ahead of Aranda. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hawginj

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 10, 2017, 09:26:01 am
Without a doubt

thebignasty

Last 10 years suggests just about only alabama can get the talent to get it done with defense. our out alabama-ing bama experiment hasn't gone well this time around
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

ipigsooie

Muschamp, Derek Mason, Kirby smart and Mark stoops were all defensive coordinators prior to being hired at their respective universities and are current head coaches in the sec. All were well known as big time coordinators. Their current record is 99-98 overall and 50-78 in the sec. It is really hard to build a team around defense in the sec when you can't get the very best talent. Jury is still out on smart but history has not been kind to defensive coordinators that get head jobs in the sec.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: hawg66 on November 06, 2017, 10:27:32 am
How is he as a recruiter?

ipigsooie

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 10, 2017, 11:02:20 am
Muschamp, Derek Mason, Kirby smart and Mark stoops were all defensive coordinators prior to being hired at their respective universities and are current head coaches in the sec. All were well known as big time coordinators. Their current record is 99-98 overall and 50-78 in the sec. It is really hard to build a team around defense in the sec when you can't get the very best talent. Jury is still out on smart but history has not been kind to defensive coordinators that get head jobs in the sec.

I forgot that odom was the dc at Missouri prior to getting the head coaching job and he brings in a record of 8-13 and 3-10 to add to these stats.

hawg66

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 10, 2017, 11:02:27 am
How is he as a recruiter?
Young high energy guy putting lots of players in the NFL. He's a very good recruiter. I'm not sure Arkansas will ever go with an assistant. I like Aranda over Venables. The fact that venables has been passed over more than someone with his resume should be sends up red flags for me. I really don't have a problem with a young innovative offensive minded coach. I'm just trying to think outside the box a little bit.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hawg66 on November 06, 2017, 09:03:34 am
I know everyone loves offense but this guy is a future star. If you want a real SEC defense start here.

Thoughts?
I'd take him in a heart beat.  its high time we hired a defensive minded coach.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ipigsooie

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 10, 2017, 02:03:55 pm
I'd take him in a heart beat.  its high time we hired a defensive minded coach.

Huh? Wasnt this current dude a "defensive minded coach?"

Wildhog

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 10, 2017, 02:19:18 pm

yup.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 10, 2017, 02:19:18 pm
other than one year, have we ever fielded a defense, much less a top 10 defense 4 years running?

my understanding was that CBB was a Oline guy as a HC.

I suppose he did serve as a DC for a year at wisky before being named HC, but that doesn't make him a defensive guru.

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ipigsooie

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 10, 2017, 03:52:30 pm
other than one year, have we ever fielded a defense, much less a top 10 defense 4 years running?

my understanding was that CBB was a Oline guy as a HC.

I suppose he did serve as a DC for a year at wisky before being named HC, but that doesn't make him a defensive guru.

He played d line in college, coached dbs and was a d coordinator. Never has he held an offensive position.  Someone said we need a defensive minded coach bc we havent had one in years and I don't know how CBB would be considered anything other than a defensive minded coach. I certainly never labeled him a guru of anything.

Paul

Yep

PorkSoda

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 10, 2017, 04:12:31 pm
He played d line in college, coached dbs and was a d coordinator. Never has he held an offensive position.  Someone said we need a defensive minded coach bc we havent had one in years and I don't know how CBB would be considered anything other than a defensive minded coach. I certainly never labeled him a guru of anything.
I suppose that make sense, but when he got hired here, I heard mostly about all the olinemen he had put in the NFL.  If he is a defensive minded coach he sure hasn't shown it here, and one of the complains that I have heard was that he meddled in the offense.  I haven't once heard about him meddling in the defense. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 10, 2017, 06:11:00 pm
I suppose that make sense, but when he got hired here, I heard mostly about all the olinemen he had put in the NFL.  If he is a defensive minded coach he sure hasn't shown it here, and one of the complains that I have heard was that he meddled in the offense.  I haven't once heard about him meddling in the defense.

I agree. It's hard to tell if he is an expert at anything here.

GoHogs1091

Yes.

Auburn got 38 total rushing yards on 42 rushing attempts (a 0.9 yard per carry average) against Venables' defense.

Auburn got 189 total rushing yards on 44 rushing attempts (a 4.3 yard per carry average) against Aranda's defense.

hawginbigd1

Venables doesn't seem to want to go anywhere.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 10, 2017, 09:22:49 pm
Venables doesn't seem to want to go anywhere.
He interviewed here last time we had an opening.

From an SI interview.

Venables says he turned down a chance to interview for a "good" Power Five job this year, and the last job he interviewed for was at Arkansas in 2012. Venables says he is unlikely to take a job outside a Power Five conference and he'll be particular going forward. (His $1.4 million salary certainly prices him out of a lot of jobs.) "I would never do what Bill Snyder did and take a place like Kansas State," he says. "I don't want to do that. That's torture! I don't want to live like that. I want to wake up and feel good about what I'm doing and be very confident and passionate about what I'm doing."

hog of steele

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 10, 2017, 09:28:41 pm
He interviewed here last time we had an opening.

From an SI interview.

Venables says he turned down a chance to interview for a "good" Power Five job this year, and the last job he interviewed for was at Arkansas in 2012. Venables says he is unlikely to take a job outside a Power Five conference and he'll be particular going forward. (His $1.4 million salary certainly prices him out of a lot of jobs.) "I would never do what Bill Snyder did and take a place like Kansas State," he says. "I don't want to do that. That's torture! I don't want to live like that. I want to wake up and feel good about what I'm doing and be very confident and passionate about what I'm doing."

That sounds like he is going to wait for Clemson. Right now it looks like dabo is going to Bama and ven may hope to slide into that job. He may not be willing to leave for anything less appealing than that.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: hog of steele on November 10, 2017, 10:01:58 pm
That sounds like he is going to wait for Clemson. Right now it looks like dabo is going to Bama and ven may hope to slide into that job. He may not be willing to leave for anything less appealing than that.
Definitely sounds like he is going to be picky. Doesn't mean he couldn't be had though.

ipigsooie

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 10, 2017, 10:43:12 pm
Definitely sounds like he is going to be picky. Doesn't mean he couldn't be had though.

Muschamp was the coach in waiting at Texas and left for Florida. It didn't turn out very well for him. I still stand by the stats that defensive minded coaches are not successful in the sec. The glaring difference in winning percentage between offensive minded head coaches vs defensive minded head coaches is glaring. And that is figuring in Nick saban and Kirby smart. The past has not been at all kind to defensive background head coaches in this league. But hey, this is arkansas.....it could work here.  Smh

hawg66

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 11, 2017, 07:56:42 am
Muschamp was the coach in waiting at Texas and left for Florida. It didn't turn out very well for him. I still stand by the stats that defensive minded coaches are not successful in the sec. The glaring difference in winning percentage between offensive minded head coaches vs defensive minded head coaches is glaring. And that is figuring in Nick saban and Kirby smart. The past has not been at all kind to defensive background head coaches in this league. But hey, this is arkansas.....it could work here.  Smh
Anyone with no HC experience will have a learning curve. Muschamp went to Florida where they have no tolerance for stuff like that. He seems to be settling in pretty good at SC. Not sure if a poster who wants to discount the successful DCs and focus on the coaches at Vandy, UK (although Stoops has improved), and Mizzou doesn't already have his mind made up.

There's more to being a successful HC than the ability to scheme and call plays, whether your background is offense or defense. Those other things are the risk in hiring a coordinator. As I said, I don't see Arkansas going that route. But I also think Aranda is a future star and worth taking a risk for.

Kevin

after what his defense does to the hogs today, he will be one popular dude on here
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ipigsooie

Quote from: Kevin on November 11, 2017, 10:20:34 am
after what his defense does to the hogs today, he will be one popular dude on here

I'm not impressed. I've seen us against a lot tougher. Seems like we are moving it fairly well. Especially for our poor little offense.

NuttinItUp

Nick Saban came from the defensive side of the ball.

Might be on to something here.

ipigsooie

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 11, 2017, 01:23:23 pm
Nick Saban came from the defensive side of the ball.

Might be on to something here.

So did stoops, odom, smart, bielema, muschamp, and mason. Add them up with saban and figure out their winning percentage. Then do the same with coaches in the sec with offensive backgrounds and let me know which is better. I'll give you a hint...its not close

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 11, 2017, 01:34:02 pm
So did stoops, odom, smart, bielema, muschamp, and mason. Add them up with saban and figure out their winning percentage. Then do the same with coaches in the sec with offensive backgrounds and let me know which is better. I'll give you a hint...its not close

That is too much math for me.

A quick google search shows that defensive head coaches dominate in the NFL at least.

http://www.unconventionalstats.com/stats/head-coaches-with-defensive-backgrounds-outscored-their-opponents-by-219-more-points-than-their-offensive-backgrounded-peers-despite-having-5-less-coaches

imtad16

I hadn't thought about Aranda before, I think I prefer Norvell or Morris, but Aranda is probably worth interviewing.

Really in the end whoever will play TJ Hammonds would be good.

ipigsooie

I read an article a year or so ago about it. That's when miles was still at LSU and freeze was at OM.  They used him, Gus, sumlin, mclewain,  davis, freeze and Mullen as the offensive background coaches vs the defensive minded head coaches like saban, smart, mason, bielema, muschamp, odom and stoops. The winning percentage of the offensive guys was far and away better than the defensive guys. Also the sec winning percentage was much higher.

imtad16

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 11, 2017, 02:22:22 pm
I read an article a year or so ago about it. That's when miles was still at LSU and freeze was at OM.  They used him, Gus, sumlin, mclewain,  davis, freeze and Mullen as the offensive background coaches vs the defensive minded head coaches like saban, smart, mason, bielema, muschamp, odom and stoops. The winning percentage of the offensive guys was far and away better than the defensive guys. Also the sec winning percentage was much higher.

I just think we need a unique offensive scheme. It just seems really hard for us to have a good defense. Unless its a defensive genius, let's go O for this hire.