Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Instead of fouling out...

Started by ErnestHamingway, July 10, 2017, 11:14:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ErnestHamingway

Seeing the Lundardi article on how the end of games could be changed, makes me think of an idea I had giving teams on option when a player picks up his fifth foul.

As rules have it, on the fifth foul, a player is disqualified. That certainly sucks if that is a key player, and it usually is. But what if coaches had an option for that player to continue playing? Suppose a rule that would allow that player to stay on the court. If said player picks up another foul this option would give the other team a bonus free throw for each foul after number five on a player.

The coach obviously would have to weigh that decision and might choose to just sit the guy as if he had been disqualified. Or in late game situations he could do the offense-for-defense sub. It would certainly add more strategy and give coaches an option.

PonderinHog

There was talk at one time of establishing a "penalty box" with the player having to sit out for a specified period time, depending on how many fouls the player had.  I thought it had merit.  Of the major sports, basketball is the only sport that a player can be ejected from the game for doing something that is part of the game.

HoopS

Just like Lunardi - not sure why some are wanting to make changes to the game. It isn't broke. Now if you're talking about some of lame officials, sure I'll listen. But the rules of the game don't need changing. Hold some of these sorry officials accountable and you'll get an audience.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on July 11, 2017, 07:25:01 am
Just like Lunardi - not sure why some are wanting to make changes to the game. It isn't broke. Now if you're talking about some of lame officials, sure I'll listen. But the rules of the game don't need changing. Hold some of these sorry officials accountable and you'll get an audience.

Yea, lets just let players foul 20 times a game. How about learning to play without fouling?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HoopS

Quote from: hogsanity on July 11, 2017, 10:41:26 am
Yea, lets just let players foul 20 times a game. How about learning to play without fouling?
or leave the game alone and let them use their 5 fouls strategically.

BannerMountainMan

After every foul we might as well let them take shots at each other, and if we go into OT and whoever has the most players alive wins. LOL
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"