Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any Brinkmann Trailmaster offset users?

Started by ldfergu, October 23, 2015, 11:19:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ldfergu

There are a lot of new smokers out there that will cook to perfection with minimal work from you but that's not what I wanted. I had never had a smoker and wanted to learn from something a little more traditional which is why I bought the Trailmaster. It's been working fine so far but I wanted to know if any of you have put any modifications on yours? Mine leaks a little smoke so I'm gonna purchase clamps to seal it in better. I've thought about the tuning plates but don't really know enough about them yet or if they're necessary.  Any recommendations?

PorkRinds

QuoteUsed a sealant between top half and bottom half of firebox; and between the firebox and smoking chamber

Used a BGE felt to seal inside of smoking door

Extended exhaust down to grate level

Tuning plates using ceramic tile

Piece of metal in smoking chamber placed at a 45 degree angle to force heat down under the tuning plates

I also like to use a small water pan placed either on the grate in the smoking chamber on the firebox end; or in the bottom of the smoking chamber right next to the opening to firebox. This will help even out the temps, and the steam I believe helps cut down on any ash coming in.

For fuel, I prefer to use wood, then lump, then charcoal. With charcoal you're going to go through a ton on longer cooks if you like cooking at 250 or more. The wood or lump cooks much hotter, which is needed IMO because it's a larger offset for that size firebox.

Get a grate level thermometer; it's about a 50 degree difference between the smoker thermo and at grate level on mine.

ldfergu

Thanks porkrinds. I live in SW Texas so I cook with a lot of mesquite. Prob gonna try pecan next. I also just purchased some grate thermometers that I'm gonna use tomorrow. Are the tuning plates worth the trouble?

PorkRinds

Yes. It'll help you maintain temps longer and more steady. In fact that's what all those things above do pretty much.