Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ozark Oak evidently is out of business.

Started by Boarcephus, July 12, 2015, 08:54:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Stopped by Harps to pick some up and found out they have called it quits and no longer in business.  Need to find a substitute.  Any ideas?  They're now carrying something called Cowboy something or other.  Runs about $6 a bag.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Pulled(PP)pork

I read somewhere that harps had their own brand out

PP

twistitup

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 12, 2015, 10:07:44 am
I read somewhere that harps had their own brand out

PP

This is what will bankrupt a small, local company. You bring in a good product, it gets popular at all stores that carry it, then you develop a low dollar store brand to compete with the company that started it all.

I'm not sure this is what happened, but I've seen it happen too often. Hyland milk company is having to face the same reality. They have a quality local product that is now being killed by generic b.s. not raised locally by local farmers.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Boarcephus

Quote from: twistitup on July 12, 2015, 10:16:06 am
This is what will bankrupt a small, local company. You bring in a good product, it gets popular at all stores that carry it, then you develop a low dollar store brand to compete with the company that started it all.

I'm not sure this is what happened, but I've seen it happen too often. Hyland milk company is having to face the same reality. They have a quality local product that is now being killed by generic b.s. not raised locally by local farmers.

Not sure who makes the Cowboy brand but it's $6 for an 8 pound bag while OA was a 10 pound bag for $5 something.  I hate the thought of ponying up $20+ for a 20 pound bag of BGE charcoal but may have to.  There are a bunch of grillers on here and looking for a substitute someone can recommend. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

twistitup

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 12, 2015, 10:21:28 am
Not sure who makes the Cowboy brand but it's $6 for an 8 pound bag while OA was a 10 pound bag for $5 something.  I hate the thought of ponying up $20+ for a 20 pound bag of BGE charcoal but may have to.  There are a bunch of grillers on here and looking for a substitute someone can recommend. 

what's the price on the generic, store brand hardwood charcoal?

Boarcephus

Quote from: twistitup on July 12, 2015, 10:23:30 am
what's the price on the generic, store brand hardwood charcoal?

I didn't notice one.  Wonder if Cowboy was it??  The had a Kingsford Lump briquette charcoal.  I know, thought that was strange. 

PharmacistHog

Checkout the last page of the charcoal thread. By the way, the cowboy brand I tried sucked. Sparked and smoked like a burning tire.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 12, 2015, 10:52:10 am
Checkout the last page of the charcoal thread. By the way, the cowboy brand I tried sucked. Sparked and smoked like a burning tire.

Appreciate it.  I'll rule that one out.  I'll slip over and look at it. 

Filthy_McSwine

I've used Royal Oak since Ozark is no longer available and it seems fine.  Walmart and Home Depot both carry it, at least in Central Ark. With regard to the Cowboy brand, it seems to get universally bad reviews...Google it.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Filthy_McSwine on July 12, 2015, 11:29:17 am
I've used Royal Oak since Ozark is no longer available and it seems fine.  Walmart and Home Depot both carry it, at least in Central Ark. With regard to the Cowboy brand, it seems to get universally bad reviews...Google it.

Is it a lump charcoal? 

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 12, 2015, 10:52:10 am

Only one I found was the BGE one.  Is there another one?  thanks!

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Supposedly the factory is still running, but shipping it out of the country.  That is a funny turn of events, usually the other way around.

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/18551-ozark-oak-out-of-business/page-2

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 12, 2015, 11:52:33 am
Only one I found was the BGE one.  Is there another one?  thanks!

I'm not sure what your question is. Which thread?  Theres one about how much charcoal do you use. I dont know how to link it. I had read that ozark oak was gonna close and loaded up early this spring but I did go ahead and order some rockwood online. If you buy over 100 bucks it ships free. It averages about 22-23 bucks a 20lb bag but I think its good stuff. I like it better than bge brand. Its comparable to ozark oak.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Boarcephus

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 12, 2015, 02:24:57 pm
Thanks!  I've got one bag of OO left but I'll pick up a bag of this and try it. 

Supposedly royal oak makes bge charcoal, its just sorted a little better. Ive used royal oak with no problems. It just isnt as good as ozark oak.

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 12, 2015, 02:30:31 pm
Supposedly royal oak makes bge charcoal, its just sorted a little better. Ive used royal oak with no problems. It just isnt as good as ozark oak.

If I recall correctly, a 20 pound bag of BGE is around $25, and that's crazy, so if this stuff is the same thing it'll work out fine.  I've always enjoyed doing business, if I can, with the little guy and this guy is over around Flippin or Yellville so I think his story is kind of neat.  Back when we were toying with the idea of buying bulk I called him and spoke to him and tried to cut a deal on a pallet or two if we came and picked it up.  Came across as just an old country guy.  Turned out not that much of a savings and I just wasn't prepared to buy, and store, a year or two worth of the stuff to save $50.   

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 12, 2015, 03:01:43 pm
If I recall correctly, a 20 pound bag of BGE is around $25, and that's crazy, so if this stuff is the same thing it'll work out fine.  I've always enjoyed doing business, if I can, with the little guy and this guy is over around Flippin or Yellville so I think his story is kind of neat.  Back when we were toying with the idea of buying bulk I called him and spoke to him and tried to cut a deal on a pallet or two if we came and picked it up.  Came across as just an old country guy.  Turned out not that much of a savings and I just wasn't prepared to buy, and store, a year or two worth of the stuff to save $50.   

Yeah I wouldnt do that either. I ended up buying about 15 bags that Ive stored. I'm down to 8 now. Was nice to buy OO for less than 6 bucks a bag while it lasted.

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 12, 2015, 03:05:31 pm
Yeah I wouldnt do that either. I ended up buying about 15 bags that Ive stored. I'm down to 8 now. Was nice to buy OO for less than 6 bucks a bag while it lasted.

I stopped by Harps this morning and thats when I found out about it.  I went to 3-4 other Harps seeing if by chance they had any left over and didn't find a bag.  I'll switch to the Royal Oak and go from there.  Be nice if one of the rumors is true and their making it for Walmart but I doubt they could make that much to service a chain that big.

ozarkshogfan

I know the guys that own Ozark Oak.  We live in the same town.  I talked to them the other day. They are still making charcoal but bagging it for Royal Oak and Big Green Egg. There is still some Ozark Oak available around here in the Yellville area. The Royal Oak in these parts is, well, exactly like Ozark Oak. RO has some kilns of their own.  I don't know what that charcoal looks like. Mr Martin said a lady at a store in Harrison told him "this BGE charcoal is better than Ozark Oak". He just laughed and didn't tell her it's the same thing

twistitup

Quote from: ozarkshogfan on July 13, 2015, 05:01:56 am
I know the guys that own Ozark Oak.  We live in the same town.  I talked to them the other day. They are still making charcoal but bagging it for Royal Oak and Big Green Egg. There is still some Ozark Oak available around here in the Yellville area. The Royal Oak in these parts is, well, exactly like Ozark Oak. RO has some kilns of their own.  I don't know what that charcoal looks like. Mr Martin said a lady at a store in Harrison told him "this BGE charcoal is better than Ozark Oak". He just laughed and didn't tell her it's the same thing

I wish they would have kept the brand going....but that life - money talks

ozarkshogfan

Quote from: twistitup on July 13, 2015, 05:56:27 am
I wish they would have kept the brand going....but that life - money talks
Yeah me too.  It has a lot to do with keeping all the employees busy year round. Winter time got pretty slow for em. RO and BGE can keep them busy

Boarcephus

Quote from: ozarkshogfan on July 13, 2015, 06:38:33 am
Yeah me too.  It has a lot to do with keeping all the employees busy year round. Winter time got pretty slow for em. RO and BGE can keep them busy

So if I buy the RO at Walmart I'm getting OO?  If that's the case, I'm good.  ;)

ozarkshogfan

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 13, 2015, 07:29:23 am
So if I buy the RO at Walmart I'm getting OO?  If that's the case, I'm good.  ;)
To some extent.  RO does make some of it. I don't know for sure which goes where but Walmart from Harrison to Mountain Home and south central Missouri its Ozark Oaks stuff.  Not sure where else though

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Boog41

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Drove a substitute bus route right in front of the main plant today.  Didn't really look open, but really didn't look shut down either.  Downtown Snow Arkansas.   ;D

DeltaBoy

Hope to see it back by next summer for now it a mixture of Original Kingsford and Royal Oak.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on September 02, 2015, 05:49:07 pm
Drove a substitute bus route right in front of the main plant today.  Didn't really look open, but really didn't look shut down either.  Downtown Snow Arkansas.   ;D

Evidently they are open, but selling under different brand names in order to keep business rolling year round.  Or so I've been told.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 04, 2015, 11:31:23 am
Evidently they are open, but selling under different brand names in order to keep business rolling year round.  Or so I've been told.

Please find out what brands they are selling under.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 04, 2015, 01:17:31 pm
Please find out what brands they are selling under.

I'm not positive.  I've heard that the BGE commercial brand is one of them, but I've also heard they are sending it all out of the country.  I really don't know.

rcopela

Has anyone tried the new Kingsford lump? I used the competition, and it worked well, but not lump..

bigstyx

Saw it today. They call it lump briquets, that just seemed weird. Passed on it and got two bags of Royal Oak.

ozarkshogfan

Right now they are bagging it for Royal Oak and BGE. They said the RO goes to a warehouse up north. They didn't say where the BGE bags are going....I've known those guys all my life

ozarkshogfan

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on September 02, 2015, 05:49:07 pm
I was told that they are in the middle of some paperwork stuff that had to been done.  I think I meet you once. We have a friend in common I believe

PorkRinds

Quote from: ozarkshogfan on September 05, 2015, 10:08:31 am
Right now they are bagging it for Royal Oak and BGE. They said the RO goes to a warehouse up north. They didn't say where the BGE bags are going....I've known those guys all my life

Thanks for the info. I heard the same and you've confirmed. Thanks!

ozarkshogfan

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 05, 2015, 10:16:23 am
Thanks for the info. I heard the same and you've confirmed. Thanks!
Hey no problem.  They said a while back to squash the rumors that they "sold out".  Still same guys and same charcoal, different bags

PorkRinds

Quote from: ozarkshogfan on September 05, 2015, 10:43:12 am
Hey no problem.  They said a while back to squash the rumors that they "sold out".  Still same guys and same charcoal, different bags

Can you go there and purchase it?

ozarkshogfan

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 05, 2015, 11:58:22 am
Can you go there and purchase it?
They did have a few pallets of Ozark Oak a month ago but I think it's all gone now.  They did used to sell right from the warehouse but ya might have to get Royal Oak now. I'd bet if you stopped by there they'd sell you some. There real good guys.  Might call them and make sure though

PorkRinds

Quote from: ozarkshogfan on September 05, 2015, 12:36:32 pm
They did have a few pallets of Ozark Oak a month ago but I think it's all gone now.  They did used to sell right from the warehouse but ya might have to get Royal Oak now. I'd bet if you stopped by there they'd sell you some. There real good guys.  Might call them and make sure though

Heck I don't care what name is on the bag. Is it the same number as OO used to be?

ozarkshogfan

DeltaBoy

Thanks I will keep buying the Royal Oak cause it great for chops and steaks.  Hot and Fast.

ozarkshogfan

Well the latest out of Snow Ar is that Royal Oak people are hard to get along with. They ask Mr Martin what his crazy number was, he told em. They wrote the check.....  It's still gonna be made from the same slabs, the same way but the Martin family is out of it. I think they first started in the mid-early 70's under Martins Charcoal.....

DeltaBoy

ozarkshogfan

It is.  Can't really blame em I guess.  Old man gettn' old, boys just want to run their farms.... 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ozarkshogfan on October 08, 2015, 04:03:39 am
It is.  Can't really blame em I guess.  Old man gettn' old, boys just want to run their farms.... 

I understand that I just hope the quality doesn't tank in a year or two.

ozarkshogfan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 08, 2015, 08:42:21 am
I understand that I just hope the quality doesn't tank in a year or two.

I dont think it will as long as they keep using the same slabs from the couple saw mills that are in the area

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ozarkshogfan on October 09, 2015, 04:04:53 am
I dont think it will as long as they keep using the same slabs from the couple saw mills that are in the area

Thanks