Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bought a Brinkman Trailmaster offset smoker

Started by ldfergu, July 07, 2015, 08:17:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ldfergu

Also getting a charcoal basket and gasket to keep the door sealed and the smoke inside. Any of you have one of these? I'm a rookie and need advice for how to control temp a little better. Ribs turned out alright today but would like to try and get em to fall off the bone a little easier

majestic

Did you wrap your ribs? I got rid of my offset smoker precisely due to temperature control issues.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

ldfergu

I didn't. I'm guessing that's prob a key component. Regardless they still had really good flavor. My temp stayed within 30 degrees back and forth and I think it would be easier if I had larger blocks of wood. 

Gonna try round 2 on Monday. I'm thinkin pork shoulder or butt

PharmacistHog

My offset seemed to want to lock in at a certain temp no matter what. I could get it to some slightly varying temps, but not anything huge. I just learned to cook at that temp which was about 240 degrees. I just went with that and learned approximate times for the different cuts I would smoke. Worked pretty good but a little more labor intensive. I dont think Ive used it since I got my egg. The egg can just do it all. It might not be the BEST at everything, it is very good at MOST things.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

majestic

Well, I cheated and bought a Rec-Tec.  I can set the temp at 225 and walk away for hours.  It truly is awesome.

Back to the ribs.  Depending on if you are using St. Louis or babyback, you could try 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 methods.  That may overcook the ribs, though, if your temp is much over 235. I like a little pull on my ribs.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bigstyx

Quote from: majestic on July 10, 2015, 10:01:28 am
Well, I cheated and bought a Rec-Tec.  I can set the temp at 225 and walk away for hours.  It truly is awesome.

Back to the ribs.  Depending on if you are using St. Louis or babyback, you could try 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 methods.  That may overcook the ribs, though, if your temp is much over 235. I like a little pull on my ribs.
If you can hold your temp at 225, I'm a fan of 3-2-1 on spares and 3-1-1 on Baby backs...

majestic

Quote from: bigstyx on August 22, 2015, 03:50:06 pm
If you can hold your temp at 225, I'm a fan of 3-2-1 on spares and 3-1-1 on Baby backs...
Same.