Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I don't Like Catfish, but I like Seafood Thread.....

Started by BR, May 31, 2015, 05:45:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BR

I Love both Types............  NO Bitching about what you don't like here...

Boarcephus

I just can't go that strong "fishy" taste like Salmon has.  Almost triggers a gag reflex in me. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

jdelo77

Can't do catfish much anymore ....but I can't keep Crappie in the freezer ! Fish tacos made with Crappie are amazing ...

Boog41

Boar, I used to feel that way also, but I found marinating salmon in soy sauce for a few minutes takes that fishy taste away. I've grown to like it a lot with some pesto on it after I take it off the BGE.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on May 31, 2015, 10:18:26 pm
Boar, I used to feel that way also, but I found marinating salmon in soy sauce for a few minutes takes that fishy taste away. I've grown to like it a lot with some pesto on it after I take it off the BGE.

Whats the old saying, "I could eat a darn sandwich if I had enough bread"?  ')  We go to Florida and eat the heck out of blackened grouper, amberjack, trigger fish, etc but those area mild fish.  Just can't go that salmon route but wish I could.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

jacobp

about the only way I can enjoy salmon is marinated and glazed with a mixture of soy, honey, and jalapeno.

hoglady

I don't care much for Salmon either.
But it's great for you and my daughter loves it.
To make it edible for me - I buy Coho Salmon (wild caught) it has a much milder flavor.
Cover that sucker in olive oil,  "Slap your Mama's" seasoning, garlic powder, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Then make a good horseradish dip for each bite.
Works for me.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

DeltaBoy

Clams and Oysters are not my favorites anymore, the rest of the stuff I love.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgWild

Smoked Salmon (Lox) with cream cheese, purple onion & capers on some good bread is a favorite of mine. Freshly caught Flounder sautéed in butter is a close second. Tuna steaks on the grill aren't too bad either.

jrulz83

Ahi tuna with olive oil, salt and pepper quickly seared can't be beat.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on June 01, 2015, 01:47:39 pm
Smoked Salmon (Lox) with cream cheese, purple onion & capers on some good bread is a favorite of mine. Freshly caught Flounder sautéed in butter is a close second. Tuna steaks on the grill aren't too bad either.

We were on a cruise several years ago and a guy at our table ordered that for breakfast one morning.  Looked absolutely fantastic.  Couldn't sleep that night waiting on breakfast the next morning.  Ordered it and I could smell it the minute they walked in the dining area.  Had to send it back and ordered something else. 

BR

Quote from: jrulz83 on June 01, 2015, 02:08:30 pm
Ahi tuna with olive oil, salt and pepper quickly seared can't be beat.
This is as good as it gets....

old hog

Don't believe I've read anything on here I don't like. When its fresh, its all good.

dhornjr1

I don't think there's a type of seafood I don't like.

husker71

I spent my college summers eating carp at Joe Tess in Omaha Nebr.  People here cannot believe that but for years and years there has been a line to get in.

netteltonhog

If smoking salmon I always soak it in a brine mixture of canning salt, fresh garlic and onion for at least 4-6 hrs if it is portion sized and overnight if a whole piece.  I then rinse in cold water and season with Cavenders and brown sugar.  Smoker is set at 225,  2 Hrs for a whole piece, 1 1/2hrs for portion sized.  The brine makes all the difference.  Also works for chicken.

HawgWild

hoglady

Quote from: netteltonhog on July 12, 2015, 12:55:01 pm
If smoking salmon I always soak it in a brine mixture of canning salt, fresh garlic and onion for at least 4-6 hrs if it is portion sized and overnight if a whole piece.  I then rinse in cold water and season with Cavenders and brown sugar.  Smoker is set at 225,  2 Hrs for a whole piece, 1 1/2hrs for portion sized.  The brine makes all the difference.  Also works for chicken.

I will have to try that.
Sounds pretty good.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality