Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sam's Club or Costco?

Started by WardamnHOGGLE, July 29, 2015, 06:54:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WardamnHOGGLE

Which one do you like better?  Price, Quality....?

jacobp

Costco and it ain't close. Just moved to a town with both a SAMs and a Costco, and SAMs is a dumb compared to the Costco. All the wal marts up here are crap holes for that matter

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

vandybuff

i, too, vote for costco - I think their quality per dollar of price is better.
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeltaBoy

We been happy with Sam's. My parents have been Sam's club members since they opened in NLR back in the Early 1980's.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

vandybuff

Delta Boy ... are there any Costcos in AR? 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

vandybuff

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

WardamnHOGGLE

I gotta say, I'm surprised to see so many think Costco is better.  I figured Sam's being the home team, they would be the best. I like Costco for a couple of reasons.  1.  They have a better treasure hunt.  I always find something really cool that is at a good price and has good quality. 
2. Their meat department rocks.  I don't know about Sam's, but Costco carries Prime cuts of meats in Sarasota.  My god they are good.  Expensive, but they are out of this world.  Last I remember, Sam's had Choice only.
3.  The stores look better to me.  They're always neat and clean.  Shelves are always stocked. 

DeltaBoy

I have been happy with SAMS so far.  my inlaws love their COSTCO in Austin.

HawgWild

FWIW - Sunday's paper had a coupon in one of the inserts for a Free 60 day membership to Sam's.

vandybuff

i think one consideration of Costco that is perhaps a bit unfair to Sam's is Costco has more 'high margin' items ..... it is easier to mark down 50% on a fancy $200 pen than on ten reams of printer paper and still keep the doors open.

Albert Einswine

Costco kicks the crap out of Sam's by light years. And they pay their employees pretty well.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

Well I live closer to Sams and I will stay with it.

elviscat

Costco, by a mile. You get great products at a fair price with outstanding service. They really pay their employees well. They start out at 18.00 dollars an hour with full benefits and top salary around 28.00 dollars. People are happy to wait on you and there is no comparison with Wall Mart and Sam's.

The Big O Oliver Squeeler

Costco has better quality products IMO.  They also have neat roadshow stuff. 

intoxhog

Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

HawgWild

American Express card holders will receive $25 credit towards a $45 Sam's Club membership until 12/31. Offer is only good for new memberships and not a renewal. You must sign up at the AE web site before and use the AE card at Sam's when joining.

The Big O Oliver Squeeler

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WardamnHOGGLE on July 29, 2015, 06:54:37 am
Which one do you like better?  Price, Quality....?

Depends on location and what the special buy/treasure hunt selections are.  I've been in some of the older Costcos on the West Coast and they are shopped hard and not all that great.  Sam's also has the WM image and attitude from customers to overcome.  It is looked down upon by many in comparison to Costco because Costco is seen as trendier and people associate Sam's with WM in terms of shopping experience.  Kind of the attitude Target once benefitted from compared to WM. 

ex:
Quote from: elviscat on September 24, 2015, 05:29:06 pm
Costco, by a mile. You get great products at a fair price with outstanding service. They really pay their employees well. They start out at 18.00 dollars an hour with full benefits and top salary around 28.00 dollars. People are happy to wait on you and there is no comparison with Wall Mart and Sam's.

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 01, 2015, 11:58:11 am
When you're in a Costco, know that they're operating on a 13-14% margin.  So they've taken a high-quality item and put a pretty low markup on it.

Sam's will take items that are generally lower quality or (more typically) lower cost, and put a higher margin on it. 

This isn't true on the margins.  Sam's has the same margin guidelines and they are often lower than 13-14%.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Warbirdhog

Costco and it's not even close.

Started shopping at Costco in Anchorage AK, from then it's been Newport News Va., Tuscon AZ, Eden Prairie MN,Sioux Falls SD and now in San Antonio TX. The products we buy there have been consistently in stock and high quality and good prices. The meat dept is hands down the best that can be found. As long as there is a Costco within a 2 hour drive we'll not even consider going back to a Sams Club or anyone else.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Warbirdhog on January 01, 2016, 07:13:49 pm
Costco and it's not even close.

Started shopping at Costco in Anchorage AK, from then it's been Newport News Va., Tuscon AZ, Eden Prairie MN,Sioux Falls SD and now in San Antonio TX. The products we buy there have been consistently in stock and high quality and good prices. The meat dept is hands down the best that can be found. As long as there is a Costco within a 2 hour drive we'll not even consider going back to a Sams Club or anyone else.

That's my experience. Sam's is a 3rd rate Costco.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

My Sams is really nice cause it the newest one in the DFW area.

DeltaBoy

I wish Sams carried Ammo and more hunting stuff.

elviscat

Costco, there is no comparison.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: elviscat on January 19, 2016, 11:21:28 am
Costco, there is no comparison.

Your correct cause there not one within driving distance for me.

PON TP 45 rolls for 19:95 is tough to beat.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/pom-2ply-bath-tissue-45-roll-473-sheet/prod14270688.ip?navAction=

Hoggam's Razor

Worked for companies that have serviced both and been to many of both all over the country, including Puerto Rico....Costco and it ain't close.  Sam's never really has any GREAT deals or EXCITING deals.  Costco can blow your brain sometimes on deals.
One neat thing though is, their layouts are exactly the same...if you go to several of each during the week you can forget which one your in.
I hate it when people complain.

hawgrunner

old hog

Costco, hands down. Employees are eager to help and have really great deals. Don't even know where a Sams Club is in San Diego.

HawgWild

Well it's about time you showed up again on-line! Hope life's been treating you well.  :razorback: