Porked Tongue

Signing day is done.

Segrest will depart now.

Next1_04

Kevin

Bo Mattingly ‏@SportsTalkwBo  5m
5 minutes ago

More
Multiple sources say Arkansas DL coach Rory Segrest won't be back.  One of nicest guys you'll meet. Sounds like staff adjusting to fit 3-4 D
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Kevin

King Kong

navyhog24

ricepig

WriterWrong

Adios! Probably a really great guy. Not a good enough coach to succeed in the SEC. Can't recruit well enough and apparently can't coach the position well enough either.

*Note to self: Don't hire coaches from Samford to coach in the SEC. It's a bad move.

1highhog

Quote from: King Kong on February 03, 2017, 01:36:27 pm
Say it ain't so

You beat me to it, but not this one,,, Ohhh Happy days, ohh happy days,,

SDZ_Hog

Charlie and a LB or DB coach?  Maybe even get Charlie if he is still available when the 10th coach is a go.  He was the ST and DL coach here.  Wonder why nobodies scooped him up?   

Biggus Piggus

I tinks dey wanna 3-4 DL coach.
[CENSORED]!

Scott7703

I'm not convinced it will be partridge. May be but there are other names floating around now.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Worst kept secret since.....
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The_Boot_stops_here

Let's have Montgomery coach DL and Partridge help with LB's

code red

I don't care who he gets....as long as we win 8 or more. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 03, 2017, 02:11:03 pm

Would love to see it. Montgomery coaching Tackles and Partridge with the OLB. Both are strong recruiters to boot.

HamSammich

I don't particularly think the man did bad. I don't even think his recruiting was half bad.

HamSammich

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 03, 2017, 02:22:56 pm
Yes the hell i do. i have seen HS players with better Technique. knowing how to use your hands to get leverage is a big part of a D-Linemen Technique. and either he did not teach it.or the players did not learn do it. and i do not blame the players.the talent has been there the last 2 years on the DL.and we have gotten bad results.he is not being fired for no reason. and it's not because the Hogs are moving to a 3/4. coach B is letting him go because he did not get the job done. did you watch the DL the last 2 years?

They were playing a style of clogging the blockers from getting to the lbs and secondary. I think the fans just need people to blame to vent frustrations. The d-line didn't pressure the qb but I'm not so sure if the man responsible wasn't already let go.... and even in smiths case I'm unsure how much was his fault.

King Kong

I think that's what CBB wants. But we will see how it plays out

ricepig

Now you're just making shite up.........you know we would be lucky to get one of those guys, haha.

King Kong

forrest city joe

Quote from: King Kong on February 03, 2017, 02:30:58 pm
I think that's what CBB wants. But we will see how it plays out
If coach B wants to win(and he does)no way in the world does he want that. i do not believe that.

The_Bionic_Pig

Partridge DL Coach
Montgomery Co-Defensive Coordinator

(my opinion)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

RazorPiggie

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 03, 2017, 02:25:30 pm
Folks on Jump ball are full of crap when it comes to Mike.he has the program on the right track.and i am hoping with the DL coach change.coach B can do the same thing.like Robb Smith,this DL coach had to go.

We shoulda just swapped Keif Jackson for Rory Segrest.

DeltaBoy

Well it looks like we are going to a 3-4 for sure now.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

forrest city joe

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 03, 2017, 02:39:50 pm
Partridge DL Coach

(my opinion)
Would love to see that happen.but anyone would be better in my opinion. the DL the last 2 years has been just terrible.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 03, 2017, 02:16:48 pm
Glad we waited until post-Signing Day to keep the DL commitments intact.

The ones they got to commit on Sunday? I've got to bet they knew they'd have a new DL coach.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

rhog1

Partridge DL Coach

(my opinion)
This would be a home run.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 03, 2017, 02:36:49 pm
Robb Smith was not the DL coach.and if was forcing the DL coach to do things that was killing the defense.then coach B should have put a stop to it.easy to blame everything on Smith now that he's gone.

Segrest coached an attacking style with good pass-rushing technique. NFL coaches saw that out of Wise and Ledbetter in Shrine Game practices. Smith gave the Dline assignments that usually kept them out of the backfield + also left the edges vulnerable. Also reduced the ability to substitute, as some backups couldn't handle containment assignments. Some players are wasted if you don't turn them loose to wreak havoc.
[CENSORED]!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 03, 2017, 02:52:36 pm
Segrest coached an attacking style with good pass-rushing technique. NFL coaches saw that out of Wise and Ledbetter in Shrine Game practices. Smith gave the Dline assignments that usually kept them out of the backfield + also left the edges vulnerable. Also reduced the ability to substitute, as some backups couldn't handle containment assignments. Some players are wasted if you don't turn them loose to wreak havoc.

Do you think Segrest is being let go because he's not a 3-front coach? To appease the fanbase wanting change? Recruiting limitations? It seems like he was trying to leave last year to go back to the Eagles but something fell apart there.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ricepig

Partridge DL Coach

(my opinion)

I like your opinion, I don't believe it, but I like it. I'm guess Rhoads hasn't signed a new contract as we haven't read anything about one yet, that could be telling.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 03, 2017, 02:52:36 pm
Yup. Our DL were neutered under Smith. Basically taken out of the game except to take on blockers and contain QBs.

Potosihog

Partridge DL Coach

(my opinion)

I would love to see this happen.  I'm not as optimistic.  For some reason I just don't think the Partridge return is going to happen right now.  If you are correct this would be a 99 yard run from line of scrimmage with 3 seconds left in the game down 5 points. 

Those who believe Segrest is still here because we are trying to fool the recruits are thinking very clearly.  Segrest hasn't been recruiting for some time.  Every recruit who had anything to do with the DL or him as lead recruiter knew he was gone.

Atlhogfan1

Thought this would be the position coach to go.  Wasn't too hard to call.  Good luck to Segrest. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Quote from: theFlyingHog on February 03, 2017, 02:56:52 pm
Yup. Our DL were neutered under Smith. Basically taken out of the game except to take on blockers and contain QBs.

Wait until they plug gaps for the LB's in the 3-4......

LZH

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 02:49:35 pm
The ones they got to commit on Sunday? I've got to bet they knew they'd have a new DL coach.

Of course they did. Does anyone really believe BB sold them on what Segrest did the past two years?

He sold them on change.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 02:49:35 pm

That's probably a sure thing bet................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

King Kong

Just my opinion in the way CBB has the word was when talking about this GB candidate. I think Montgomery turned us down. I could be wrong. I hope I am.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 02:54:38 pm
Do you think Segrest is being let go because he's not a 3-front coach? To appease the fanbase wanting change? Recruiting limitations? It seems like he was trying to leave last year to go back to the Eagles but something fell apart there.

I'd say it's a combo of wanting the right fit for the scheme + maybe he didn't do enough in recruiting. How poorly the staff meshed was a big part of the problem in 2016. They gotta get that right.
[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 03:08:11 pm
Everybody has at least one post they regret putting up here.

Heck I have one a day I usually regret!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hoot72

Joe, read the FANONTHEHILL  thread, please!

Jim Harris

Quote from: King Kong on February 03, 2017, 03:19:54 pm
Just my opinion in the way CBB has the word was when talking about this GB candidate. I think Montgomery turned us down. I could be wrong. I hope I am.

I don't know why any NFL assistant would leave for a college job if he didn't have to.

King Kong

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 03:29:14 pm
I don't know why any NFL assistant would leave for a college job if he didn't have to.

Well he is an Asst Dline coach not the actual Dline line coach. Plenty have done that. Most consider it a promotion. But if course this guy left OU to be the Asst to the Asst

However, GB stated he works as Capers right hand man and isn't limited to DL

Biggus Piggus

Last season's defense...Coach Bielema has to feel like a guy sitting alive and unharmed in a car that just had its rear end completely knocked off by a semi. Half his car was gone last season. Needed a little more than Bondo.
[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

That depends on the individual and their situation for the pro team and where they are going to a college team. I knew a high school teacher with a PhD in chemistry. He had numerous offers to go teach in college but turned them down. Said he liked teaching in high school. I'd bet some high school coaches have had college offers but not left and some college coaches have had pro offers and not left. Each person has to decide what is best for them at the moment.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 03, 2017, 03:35:38 pm
That depends on the individual and their situation for the pro team and where they are going to a college team. I knew a high school teacher with a PhD in chemistry. He had numerous offers to go teach in college but turned them down. Said he liked teaching in high school. I'd bet some high school coaches have had college offers but not left and some college coaches have had pro offers and not left. Each person has to decide what is best for them at the moment.

Take the example of Jerry Montgomery. He was a college assistant coach from 2007-14. He has been a pro assistant for two seasons. He might decide that some of his better skills are wasted on the pro level. Or he might prefer the lifestyle on one level over the other. Who knows.

Longtime pro guys hate the recruiting part of college football. Coaches who love recruiting stay out of the pros.
[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 03, 2017, 03:40:33 pm
Take the example of Jerry Montgomery. He was a college assistant coach from 2007-14. He has been a pro assistant for two seasons. He might decide that some of his better skills are wasted on the pro level. Or he might prefer the lifestyle on one level over the other. Who knows.

Longtime pro guys hate the recruiting part of college football. Coaches who love recruiting stay out of the pros.

Well said. In the past I took what some people thought was a step down or back in my career. Each situation is not always as easy to decide as what others might think.

Wildhog

I believe he would, considering he's just a "defensive front assistant."
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977