Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Once and for all on Byers

Started by Porked Tongue, January 29, 2017, 04:04:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogsanity on January 30, 2017, 10:32:47 am
This makes no sense to the conversation about player eligibility. The eligibility standards in HS and the enrollment qualifications in college have nothing to do with AP classes, and everything thing to do with just making minimum requirements.

The only way a student can score above a 4.0 is to take college level classes in HS. If you think the classes themselves are a joke, you should go sit is a AP algebra class then go sit in the regular hs algebra class. You will see the difference in about a minute.

ID rather read Robert Shields every day.

Piggfoot

Quote from: hogsanity on January 30, 2017, 10:32:47 am
This makes no sense to the conversation about player eligibility. The eligibility standards in HS and the enrollment qualifications in college have nothing to do with AP classes, and everything thing to do with just making minimum requirements.

The only way a student can score above a 4.0 is to take college level classes in HS. If you think the classes themselves are a joke, you should go sit is a AP algebra class then go sit in the regular hs algebra class. You will see the difference in about a minute.
I'm sure they are diferent. My point is in my day there was Algebra 1 and Algebra II. I suspect regular Algebra has been dumbed down.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

ricepig

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 30, 2017, 11:12:24 am
I'm sure they are diferent. My point is in my day there was Algebra 1 and Algebra II. I suspect regular Algebra has been dumbed down.

There still is, my kids took it in 8th and 9th grade, the same course you took in high school, and it was pre-AP which was harder than regular Algebra.

rhames

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2017, 11:17:36 am
There still is, my kids took it in 8th and 9th grade, the same course you took in high school, and it was pre-AP which was harder than regular Algebra.

This is correct.  The only ap math class you can take for college credit is ap calculas.

Classes are not a joke and you have to take the ap test to get the weighted grade.

Hardest class I've ever take, well one of them, was AP US history.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ricepig

Quote from: rhames on January 30, 2017, 11:36:29 am

This is correct.  The only ap math class you can take for college credit is ap calculas.

Classes are not a joke and you have to take the ap test to get the weighted grade.

Hardest class I've ever take, well one of them, was AP US history.

Yeah, mine took AP Calculus, while some of their friends took "College Algebra" from their college credit.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Seems like he's missing the good old days and decided to take it out on you guys
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

songofthesword

I took all ap courses at mills in h.s. irs 5.0 4.0 3.0 2.0 0.0

Ap art history is still the toughest class I've ever taken on any level. Lol regular art history is bad enough. Man I was light years ahead of everyone else in my class until about the end of my sophomore year

ricepig

Quote from: songofthesword on January 30, 2017, 11:41:05 am
I took all ap courses at mills in h.s. irs 5.0 4.0 3.0 2.0 0.0

Mr. Blutarsky.....0.0........

Piggfoot

You guys may find this interesting. My grandfather only had an eighth grade education.
http://www.infowars.com/newly-discovered-eighth-grade-exam-from-1912-shows-how-dumbed-down-america-has-become/ to be honest I don't think I could pass.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

RaisinHog

People taking.the AP classes are not the ones haveing trouble with grades

PonderinHog

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 30, 2017, 11:52:18 am
You guys may find this interesting. My grandfather only had an eighth grade education.
http://www.infowars.com/newly-discovered-eighth-grade-exam-from-1912-shows-how-dumbed-down-america-has-become/ to be honest I don't think I could pass.
They hadn't invented the pass then, had they ???

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Porked Tongue on January 29, 2017, 04:04:06 pm
Bama has withdrawn their offer.  It was a few days ago but now has leaked.

Everyone doubting the Hogs non-recruitment can now relax.  Not everything is in the public eye.

Let's wish this Arkansas product Byers well with his next step.
Good luck to the young man. I hope he gets everything in order that he needs to and comes home. We sure could use him and it seems like he could use us. WooPig!! :razorback:

BTW some JUCO is going to get one hell of talent!
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 30, 2017, 11:01:29 am
ID rather read Robert Shields every day.

Speaking of low standards..........
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

tophawg19

Quote from: factchecker on January 30, 2017, 12:38:31 pm
https://twitter.com/TDALMAGKunz/status/826136621200396288
Satan placed him close to Bama,and that Juco gets two years of a star player in return. What Juco wouldn't want to be the farm team for Bama . I did think he might go Prep For 1 year and then to Bama .Be interesting to see if he redshirts the first year so he would have 3 to play 3
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jdelo77

I said this the other day , Saban isn't dumb ...he knew he wouldn't qualify ! Now if he doesn't make it Saban wastes no Scholly or roster spot ...

hogsanity

Quote from: jdelo77 on January 30, 2017, 12:58:56 pm
I said this the other day , Saban isn't dumb ...he knew he wouldn't qualify ! Now if he doesn't make it Saban wastes no Scholly or roster spot ...

And has no guarantee that he will go to Bama after 2 years, or if Bama will even still want him. There was no benefit to offering him at all if it was clear he wasn't going to qualify.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 30, 2017, 12:45:10 pm
Satan placed him close to Ba ma,and that Juco gets two years of a star player in return. What Juco wouldn't want to be the farm team for Bama . I did think he might go Prep For 1 year and then to Bama .Be interesting to see if he redshirts the first year so he would have 3 to play 3
That JUCO is also apparently a farm team for Arkansas as well. Receivers Brandon Martin and Jonathon Nance are in this years class.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on January 30, 2017, 01:03:25 pm
And has no guarantee that he will go to Bama after 2 years, or if Bama will even still want him. There was no benefit to offering him at all if it was clear he wasn't going to qualify.
The benefit is letting him know how much you want him.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 30, 2017, 01:17:13 pm
And still absolutely no guarantee(s) about where he eventually ends.

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 30, 2017, 01:25:18 pm

Why, Bama in January of 2018. He's going to get 60hrs of credits in two summer terms and the fall semester, I guess??

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 30, 2017, 06:38:01 am
Too many if's and maybe's to make it worth the time and effort. Imagine we do all that an he JUCO transfers to another school. Everyone would be calling bielema an idiot. Its a lose-lose situation for him
I'm sure telling the media he had no idea why he wasn't offered and that he would be bitter about if it did come didn't help his chances...

oldfart

Quote from: hogsanity on January 30, 2017, 09:29:44 am
Why are AP classes a joke? They have nothing to do with player eligibility. AP classes are good for those who want to take harder classes, and they often qualify as college credit.

AP courses are far from a joke....   and great for kids who put out the extra effort in them.. my daughter started college with 36 credit hours from AP classes

LZH

Quote from: PigWig on January 30, 2017, 09:59:18 am
First, AP classes are based on a 5.0 point scale because they are college level classes.  They are only offered in certain subjects, so the idea that anyone is graduating HS with a 6.0 GPA is total nonsense.  You might see some high school valedictorians with a 4.25 GPA or so, but its not going to get much higher than that because the majority of your classes don't have AP variants. 

Second, AP classes are an excellent way for kids to get a head start on college.  I graduated HS over 10 years ago (I'm sure the AP curriculum has expanded in the last decade plus), but even at that point I had 27 hours of college credit before I ever stepped foot on campus at the UofA thanks to taking AP classes, college classes offered in HS, etc.

Yep. My babygirl is in her 4th semester on the hill but because of the AP classes she took in high school, she is technically a junior already.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 30, 2017, 09:24:10 am
You and I are evidently old school. I don't remember the  required average average in my day but I believe it was a 2.00. Our tops was a 4.00. Today I understand it is a 6.00 because of so called AP courses which are a joke.
Our educational system is failing our students allowing them play and not pass their core subjects. It's been going on a long time. The "great" Shabazz was a prime example.

Education system isn't the problem.  There are already rules in place that prevents eligibility if an athlete isn't passing at least 4 core classes with a 2.0 GPA.  If a kid is playing while ineligible, there are individuals failing.  Has nothing to do with the system.  For every cheating douchebag, there are hundreds of students, parents, teachers, coaches, and schools that make up the education system doing everything right.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 30, 2017, 01:17:13 pm

BB cried like a baby while visiting the kid saying over and over how much he wished he was eligible so he could offer.  Profusely told him he still wants him the second he becomes eligible at junior college.  Coach was so emotional the player had to console him.

Never offered, yet still demonstrated how much he wanted him.  Very beautiful moment.

FANONTHEHILL

There is a hole in the system.  Read pages 48-49.

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/2014-15_AAA_Handbook.pdf

Players that fall below 2.0 go into SIP (Supplemental Instruction Program).  They have one semester to show a 0.1 improvement and two semesters to get back to a 2.0.  Here's the catch.  If an athlete is registered in Special Education
Rule 11 (D), there is no minimum GPA requirement.  I'm not sure how Byers was classified, but other players have been eligible by AAA rules, but were nowhere close to being college ready.   

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 30, 2017, 07:41:55 pm
BB cried like a baby while visiting the kid saying over and over how much he wished he was eligible so he could offer.  Profusely told him he still wants him the second he becomes eligible at junior college.  Coach was so emotional the player had to console him.

Never offered, yet still demonstrated how much he wanted him.  Very beautiful moment.
Now this is what I like to hear. Maybe he'll remember that moment and come calling the Hogs when he qualifies.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 30, 2017, 01:25:18 pm
Nothing in recruiting is guaranteed. Still gotta put it out there. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: oldfart on January 30, 2017, 04:59:53 pm
AP courses are far from a joke....   and great for kids who put out the extra effort in them.. my daughter started college with 36 credit hours from AP classes
If your kid is smart enough to do it and plans on going to college, AP courses are the way to go. If you make a C in and AP course it's looked at as an B. If you make a B in an AP course it's looked at as a A. And if you make an A in a AP course there's no reason to explain anything. You have no idea how good that looks to a college. Colleges will start recruiting you to come to their school.

ricepig

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 31, 2017, 07:35:45 am
If your kid is smart enough to do it and plans on going to college, AP courses are the way to go. If you make a C in and AP course it's looked at as an B. If you make a B in an AP course it's looked at as a A. And if you make an A in a AP course there's no reason to explain anything. You have no idea how good that looks to a college. Colleges will start recruiting you to come to their school.

Not really, but it doesn't hurt.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ricepig on January 31, 2017, 07:53:10 am
Not really, but it doesn't hurt.
I have a kid going trough this right now. I'm just telling you the feedback I'm getting from the school counselors and all this academic experts. The next step for him is the ACT. Right now he's making all A's and one B in all AP classes.

ricepig

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 31, 2017, 08:04:50 am
I have a kid going trough this right now. I'm just telling you the feedback I'm getting from the school counselors and all this academic experts. The next step for him is the ACT. Right now he's making all A's and one B in all AP classes.

I've had two, and one more to go. The first two left high school with about 23-25 hours of credit, and 32's on the ACT, but I don't recall too many schools recruiting them. In fact, you're a dime a dozen at any major university with those scores. They both ended up with Chancellor's scholarships from Fayetteville, and won additional scholarships to make them full rides, but they weren't courted, lol.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 31, 2017, 07:35:45 am

EXACTLY. My kid is a sr, and is going to graduate basically as a college soph due to Ap courses. That is going to let him graduate college in 3 years in stead of 4. Also, you make those grades you do not have to pay for college, because as you said, they will come looking for you.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

redleg

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 29, 2017, 04:08:32 pm
Guess Saban didn't bring enough money. He may go without a DT this season
Huh?
It was Byers grades that are going to keep him from going to Tuscaloosa, not a lack of talent or money.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 31, 2017, 07:32:31 am
Nothing in recruiting is guaranteed. Still gotta put it out there. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Golly, gee....did you think of that last "wisdom" all by yourself ??? ;)

Pork Twain

Strangely people still second guess our coaches on in-state recruiting, especially at Fayetteville.  With the Lunney, Franks, and Allen connections alone, does anyone actually think our staff is not clued into what is going on with every player they are looking at, especially at Fayetteville?  Some just need something to complain about, I guess. 

I am sure that from the beginning, our coaches were in "contact" with the administrative assistants and counselors at the school to gauge the possibility of him ever qualifying.  I doubt that schools outside our state have those same relationships.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

oldhawg

Quote from: ricepig on January 31, 2017, 08:16:05 am
I've had two, and one more to go. The first two left high school with about 23-25 hours of credit, and 32's on the ACT, but I don't recall too many schools recruiting them. In fact, you're a dime a dozen at any major university with those scores. They both ended up with Chancellor's scholarships from Fayetteville, and won additional scholarships to make them full rides, but they weren't courted, lol.

Congratulations to you and your kids.  Kudos are deserved.

However test scores don't always measure motivation.  My daughter and my son both took the ACT twice, and scored 25 on both occasions.  My daughter went to TCU (on multiple scholarships), had a double major in English and theater, and graduated with honors.  My son was accepted to the USNA, played soccer and ran track, and graduated with a 3.0.  Both are now productive, successful citizens of the world.

Different ways to success ---- and a lot for parents to be proud of.

ricepig

Quote from: oldhawg on January 31, 2017, 11:47:47 am
Congratulations to you and your kids.  Kudos are deserved.

However test scores don't always measure motivation.  My daughter and my son both took the ACT twice, and scored 25 on both occasions.  My daughter went to TCU (on multiple scholarships), had a double major in English and theater, and graduated with honors.  My son was accepted to the USNA, played soccer and ran track, and graduated with a 3.0.  Both are now productive, successful citizens of the world.

Different ways to success ---- and a lot for parents to be proud of.

Hey, I took it once in 1975 and made a 23, haha, and I am a semi-productive successful citizen of the world!

Youngsta71701

Lol...I gotcha...I'm assuming you have to do your part. Of course you have to put the info out there first become exposed and then go from there.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 31, 2017, 10:20:58 am
Golly, gee....did you think of that last "wisdom" all by yourself ??? ;)
Nope, heard it from on the best basketball coaches in history. Can't remember which one. lol ;D

ricepig

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 31, 2017, 01:46:18 pm
Lol...I gotcha...I'm assuming you have to do your part. Of course you have to put the info out there first become exposed and then go from there.

I guess it depends on the schools you're trying to get into, but good grades and good test scores will go a long ways to having someone else pay for their college, good luck.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 31, 2017, 01:46:18 pm

32 is about the magic # on the act to start getting some attention. He had a 32 act as a jr, and was getting some good schalraship offers, but the last time he took it he made a 34, and it was like a flood gate opened. He is going on a full ride PLUS a few grand extra.

Another thing that schools are looking at more and more is service stuff outside of school, and being in groups at school like band, fbla, etc.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ricepig on January 31, 2017, 01:48:42 pm
I guess it depends on the schools you're trying to get into, but good grades and good test scores will go a long ways to having someone else pay for their college, good luck.
Thank you sir. I might have to get some advice from ya. I'm new to this game.

hawgfan4life

Colleges and Universities don't come recruiting kids based on their ACT scores unless it is a near perfect score maybe.  However, a 32 on an ACT is NOT a dime a dozen score.  In fact, if your children scored that high on their ACT, they could very well be making money from a college to attend.  Takes a lot of applications and ground work during their SR year of H.S., but those are incredibly good scores and you are doing your children and others a disservice by understating their value.  If you truly believe that and/or your children did not have many options, I would be interested to know what their school guidance counselor did to assist.  I have a son that graduated from one of our nation's most prestigious schools and he didn't have a 32 on his ACT.  Those scores are NOT a dime a dozen!

ricepig

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 31, 2017, 04:09:33 pm
Colleges and Universities don't come recruiting kids based on their ACT scores unless it is a near perfect score maybe.  However, a 32 on an ACT is NOT a dime a dozen score.  In fact, if your children scored that high on their ACT, they could very well be making money from a college to attend.  Takes a lot of applications and ground work during their SR year of H.S., but those are incredibly good scores and you are doing your children and others a disservice by understating their value.  If you truly believe that and/or your children did not have many options, I would be interested to know what their school guidance counselor did to assist.  I have a son that graduated from one of our nation's most prestigious schools and he didn't have a 32 on his ACT.  Those scores are NOT a dime a dozen!

My children attend/attended the University of Arkansas, both receiving Chancellor scholarships, 4 years apart. The first had a 31 with a 32 super score, the second made a 32. They both had over 4.0, with the second one around a 4.13. They both applied to several prestigious private schools and weren't given scholarships that equated to what a Chancellor's scholarship paid, percentage wise. They both received additional scholarship money and chose to "bank" the money in their fully funded college fund from their parents.

If you think a 32 and 4.0 is going to get your education paid for at Yale, Wash U., NYU, Syracuse, or Vanderbilt, then good luck. I'm not belittling their achievements at all, but those scores are just "average" for the incoming freshman classes for those schools.