Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Miss these guys

Started by Andrew Hogfan, January 26, 2017, 06:35:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Hogfan

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzs8dCwtqfo

I'm only 33, so here's hoping I see another player of D'mac's caliber on the hill again before I die lol.
WPS!!!

Smalltownhog95

I'm even younger than you. DMac and Felix's 2006 hogs was the team that made me love Razorback football. I had been to agame a year or 2 before but they were the team that made me the diehard fan I am now.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

Raiserback

DMac's breakaway speed was unbelievable.

Steef

I'm 64.

In my lifetime, Bambi was close, for pure athletic ability. But imo... Dmac is the finest Hog ever.

secfan30

January 26, 2017, 08:41:55 pm #4 Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:38:25 am by secfan30
We will see another. I love DMac and he is a once every 10 year player. Example, Made Hill was a break away threat every time he touched the ball, faster than Dmac, until he tore each knee up.

I know he was faster because a coach with the Browns, when he played there, mentioned he saw tapes of Madre in college and he had legit 4..2 speed in pads. Compared it to having Olympic speed. This coach used to coach Olympic athletes in his past, so he would know a thing or two about it.

goodguytex

Arkansas has had many really awesome RBs throughout the history of the program. Dmac and Jones were 2 of my favorites. When both those 2 were at Arkansas, you knew both were homerun threats every time they touched the ball.

hog.goblin

That GA run by DMAC was amazing.  That was his first huge run.  Blazing speed and no one on the defense saw it coming.

Potosihog

Scary thing is Peyton Hillis was probably faster than any running back since Dmac and Jones. 

I'm not sure I ever realized how uncommon it was to have that kind of speed.

Pretty good blocking in those clips too.  Love the block by Casey on the LSU player as Fmac ran it into the end zone.

factchecker

What if there was a horse collar penalty back then?

Seemed like Darren got taken down by the back of his jersey/pads every game.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Tejano Jawg

That's a pretty fine video. We'll see some great backs again, maybe 2 at a time, but can't imagine 3 guys doing that at pretty much the same time.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

greenEGnHAWGS

What an unbelievable backfield...I wonder what CBB could've done with those 3.

I forget just how fast McFadden was and how good Hillis's hands were for a big guy.

Thanks for the video.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

plumbhog

Wasn't Michael Smith in that same class? He was pretty amazing as well.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

bennyl08

Quote from: Potosihog on January 26, 2017, 09:23:47 pm
Scary thing is Peyton Hillis was probably faster than any running back since Dmac and Jones. 

Pretty good blocking in those clips too.  Love the block by Casey on the LSU player as Fmac ran it into the end zone.

Hillis might have had the best pass catching hands of any razorback ever. Henry's may have been infinitesimally better. However, no, he was unequivacably not the fastest back since Dmac and Jones.

Hillis: Combine 4.66 (1.63 10 yd split), pro day 4.57 (1.56 split)
Davis: combine 4.37 (1.54 split),
M. Smith: Didn't even participate at pro day. 5'5.5 and 180 pounds, he didn't want to play at the NFL.
Green: 4.73 forty  (1.57 split) at the pro day
Johnson: 4.48 at pro day with 1.59 split
Wingo Jr: 4.47 forty (1.60 split) at the pro day
Williams: 4.63 (1.57 split) at pro day *Still coming off of injury
Collins: 4.59 (1.62 split) at combine, declined to do the same tests at pro day.

Pro day runs are always faster than at the combine which is a slow track. Hillis was slower than Davis, Johnson, and Wingo Jr for sure, likely slower than Smith. Hillis' pro day was faster than Williams but it is debatable what % JWill was at at the time.  1:1, Collins was faster than Hillis, though Hillis' pro day was faster than Collins combine. Very likely Collins runs faster at the pro day. So, for now, those two are ambiguous.

However, yes, Hillis was plenty athletic enough to have been the big man on campus had Dmac and Felix not been here. He was capable of running for 1k yards in the NFL for crying out loud and was at least in the same ball park of speed as Williams and Collins which is pretty crazy to think about.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

FANONTHEHILL

You may see that "once every ten years back" this fall.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

southeasthog

Quote from: secfan30 on January 26, 2017, 08:41:55 pm
We will see another. I love DMac and he is a once every 10 year player. Example, Made Hill was a break away threat every time he touched the ball, faster than Dmac, until he tore each knee up.

I know he was faster because a coach with the Browns, when he played there, mentioned he saw tapes of Madre in college and he had legit 4..2 speed in pads. Compared it to having Olympic speed. This coach used to catch Olympic athletes in his past, so he would know a thing or two about it.
That coach must have been REALLY fast.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 27, 2017, 05:19:52 am
You may see that "once every ten years back" this fall.

He is going to be a great one!!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

RagingHawgOn

secfan30

Quote from: southeasthog on January 27, 2017, 05:45:31 am
That coach must have been REALLY fast.

Lol stupid iPad's auto correct.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Steef on January 26, 2017, 07:53:35 pm
I'm 64.

In my lifetime, Bambi was close, for pure athletic ability. But imo... Dmac is the finest Hog ever.
Dmac was a superb athlete playing RB.  To me he is in the group with Bo and Hershel.  All were world class athletes playing the RB position.  All were the best players on the field on any given day. 

There will never be another D-mac i'm afraid. 

I'd also like to throw in that Matt Jones was more often than not the best athlete on the field when he played.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Andrew Hogfan

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 27, 2017, 07:45:29 am
Dmac was a superb athlete playing RB.  To me he is in the group with Bo and Hershel.  All were world class athletes playing the RB position.  All were the best players on the field on any given day. 

There will never be another D-mac i'm afraid. 

I'd also like to throw in that Matt Jones was more often than not the best athlete on the field when he played.
I agree on Dmac.  He would have been all sec at any position.  Qb, rb, wr, safety......  Man I wish he could of played both ways and been our Atwater
WPS!!!

DeltaBoy

How we did not win an outright SEC title with those guys shows how bad Nutt really was as a HC.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HF#1

Yeah we should have big time trophies from that era. But Houston Nutt happened.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogfan14

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 27, 2017, 08:28:57 am
How we did not win an outright SEC title with those guys shows how bad Nutt really was as a HC.

Reminds me of LSU the past couple of years

hawgon

As good as those guys were, the most exciting guy in the last 20 years was Matt Jones.  That guy had more big plays than any Razorback ever.

hogsanity

because as usual we never have an entire team at once. We have a really good offense, we seem to have no defense. Of have great backs we are weak at QB or WR. Really good defense is usually coupled with average offense. This has been the story for 40+ years.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ThisTeetsTaken

We didn't even win A BOWL GAME in the 3 years Dmac, Jones, and Hillis were all in the backfield together.....
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

LZH

Quote from: hogsanity on January 27, 2017, 09:46:32 am
because as usual we never have an entire team at once. We have a really good offense, we seem to have no defense. Of have great backs we are weak at QB or WR. Really good defense is usually coupled with average offense. This has been the story for 40+ years.

I know, right?

But one of these days.......

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hawgon on January 27, 2017, 09:10:46 am
As good as those guys were, the most exciting guy in the last 20 years was Matt Jones.  That guy had more big plays than any Razorback ever.

Having Matt Jones at QB probably set our offense back a couple of years.  Bear with me on this...

Our best play during Jones' 4 years as QB was the busted play.  Jones had such a knack for creating, extending plays and making things happen when the original play broke down that Nutt and his offensive staff, in all their glorious wisdom, ultimately just put games in his hands.  The offensive strategy was just, "hey Matt, do something spectacular."  Once he graduated, it was like they didn't know what to do with the talent on offense that followed him.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

LZH

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 27, 2017, 11:12:32 am
Having Matt Jones at QB probably set our offense back a couple of years.  Bear with me on this...

Our best play during Jones' 4 years as QB was the busted play.  Jones had such a knack for creating, extending plays and making things happen when the original play broke down that Nutt and his offensive staff, in all their glorious wisdom, ultimately just put games in his hands.  The offensive strategy was just, "hey Matt, do something spectacular."  Once he graduated, it was like they didn't know what to do with the talent on offense that followed him.

Nutt was considered an offensive whiz when he signed on in '98. But for whatever reasons, he never could attract or develop big-boy QB's. MJ saved his ass....extended his Razorback career by several years.

hogsanity

Quote from: LZH on January 27, 2017, 12:13:07 pm
Nutt was considered an offensive whiz when he signed on in '98. But for whatever reasons, he never could attract or develop big-boy QB's. MJ saved his ass....extended his Razorback career by several years.

His whole offensive aura came from having Mike Cherry, ironically a transfer from Arkansas, for 2 years at Murray St. Yea, when you have a big guy with a gun like Cherry had, your offense is probably going to be pretty good.

Had the state of Ar produced a big pocket passing Qb early in Nutts tenure here, he likely would have landed him and things would have been different at the Qb spot. However, the state went several years without producing much in the way of that type of QB, and by the time it did, Ryan M, Nutt had gotten the Qb killa rep.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HawgWild

I've got a DVD of the AR vs SC game that I watch from time to time. I get great pleasure in watching DMac & Felix run for 500+ on the Ole Ball Coach's team. I'll never forgive Spurrier for not voting for DMac for the Heisman Trophy that year. He saw him run for 320+ on his team and he left him entirely off his ballot.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 27, 2017, 09:54:15 am
We didn't even win A BOWL GAME in the 3 years Dmac, Jones, and Hillis were all in the backfield together.....

Dam that even WORSE!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Potosihog on January 26, 2017, 09:23:47 pm

Did you mean besides, because he was here before those two and was drafted the same year.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

JethroB.

Quote from: LZH on January 27, 2017, 12:13:07 pm

Except for RM which didn't hooter want him as a TE?

hogsanity

Quote from: JethroB. on January 27, 2017, 02:27:39 pm
Except for RM which didn't hooter want him as a TE?

yet another thing taken totally out of context, just like JFB's comments about being 7th in the sec, or a running QB not working in the sec.

They were just goofing around on the last day of a camp, never, not once, did HDN say RM should be a TE in college.

Potosihog

Quote from: factchecker on January 26, 2017, 09:40:57 pm
What if there was a horse collar penalty back then?

Seemed like Darren got taken down by the back of his jersey/pads every game.

Especially after the idiot on ESPN said something to the effect of "Hey, he's fast but he doesn't have big legs. There is no horse collar penalty in college"  Can't remember who it was.  Seems like Mark May. Anyone remember?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 27, 2017, 03:16:13 pm
yet another thing taken totally out of context, just like JFB's comments about being 7th in the sec, or a running QB not working in the sec.

They were just goofing around on the last day of a camp, never, not once, did HDN say RM should be a TE in college.

Maybe not, but you gotta admit ol' Hootie was pretty adept at playing guys in positions other than where they ended up playing in the NFL:  George Wilson, Jason Peters, Matt Jones...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 27, 2017, 03:54:03 pm
Maybe not, but you gotta admit ol' Hootie was pretty adept at playing guys in positions other than where they ended up playing in the NFL:  George Wilson, Jason Peters, Matt Jones...

that can be said of more than just him. Wasn't Beasley in Dallas a college QB? Hines Ward? guy from Ohio St a couple years ago that was a Qb now play Wr. 

Biggus Piggus

Don't know about you, but I miss college girls more.
[CENSORED]!