Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which new coordinator will make the biggest impact?

Started by gchamblee, January 26, 2017, 10:19:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/126630/sec-roundtable-which-new-coordinator-will-make-the-biggest-impact

David Ching: Paul Rhoads, Arkansas

I guess my answer depends on how we define biggest impact. Steve Sarkisian is taking over the highest-profile job, but Alabama averaged nearly 40 points per game last season. The only way he'd make the biggest impact is by screwing up royally. It's not as though the cupboard is bare for Canada at LSU, nor is that the case for Florida defensive coordinator Randy Shannon. As far as someone who could make a quick difference, what about Arkansas defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads? He takes over a unit in need of a turnaround -- the Razorbacks ranked 76th in total defense (426.6 YPG) and 85th in scoring defense (31.1 PPG) in 2016 -- and his track record says he can get the job done. Prior to spending seven seasons as head coach at Iowa State, Rhoads was a well-respected defensive coordinator at Pitt and Auburn. Arkansas loses a bunch of defensive seniors from 2016, so Rhoads will have the opportunity to reshape the defense as he sees fit. With all due respect to the coaches I listed earlier, I'll take Rhoads as my candidate to make the biggest difference this fall.

RedyorNot

31to6

A merely average SEC defense would have netted 2-3 more wins.

Our offense put the defense in some tight spots in the second half of games, but even then we lost some close games that a better defense to lean on would have made all the difference. A 2nd half turnover with a score or a short field for the offense in the Belk bowl could have made all the difference both in terms of getting a stop and flipping the momentum.

go hogues

Coordinator is only as good as his horses and right now, we just don't have the horses. Until we can attract serviceable defensive talent, we will always struggle defensively.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

31to6

Quote from: go hogues on January 26, 2017, 11:25:17 am
Coordinator is only as good as his horses and right now, we just don't have the horses. Until we can attract serviceable defensive talent, we will always struggle defensively.
We can't suddenly become Alabama. But we can be better than South Alabama :)

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

nchogg

Quote from: sowmonella on January 26, 2017, 03:00:24 pm
Cha Ching I hope he's correct. :razorback:
Love it! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

goodguytex

I'm not sure Sark is worth all the hype he's getting. I don't remember USC really being awesome offensively while he was there.

I personally think bama is downgrading going from Kiffin to Sark. But we will find out.

Bama will still be awesome because of the program they run, and the athletes they get to sign with them. So I don't expect any significant change one way or the other. Their defense is what will carry them to another title win.

As for Rhoades and Arkansas... I think experience matters. Rhoades had the experience advantage overall in coaching defense. And I think the changes he makes will make a positive difference if he has the players to make the difference with.

And that's the big unknown. Will he have enough tools at his disposal to make a significant impact? I hope so.

gchamblee

Quote from: goodguytex on January 26, 2017, 08:38:56 pm
I'm not sure Sark is worth all the hype he's getting. I don't remember USC really being awesome offensively while he was there.

I personally think bama is downgrading going from Kiffin to Sark. But we will find out.

Bama will still be awesome because of the program they run, and the athletes they get to sign with them. So I don't expect any significant change one way or the other. Their defense is what will carry them to another title win.

As for Rhoades and Arkansas... I think experience matters. Rhoades had the experience advantage overall in coaching defense. And I think the changes he makes will make a positive difference if he has the players to make the difference with.

And that's the big unknown. Will he have enough tools at his disposal to make a significant impact? I hope so.

good post

DeltaBoy

I agree we should have won 3 more games last year.  Rhoades will get it done.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HiggiePiggy

I hope Enos does in the second half of football games.  Even with our terrible defense we would of had a 9 maybe 10 win season if the offense showed up in the second half. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?