Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catfish hole

Started by snoop hawgy hawg, January 17, 2017, 04:03:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 18, 2017, 07:59:12 am
Probably had compromising pictures......

He11, who doesn't??
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

010HogFan

It's been said a few times already, but Catfish Hole is very average food. The catfish is probably some of the worst I've had anywhere honestly, but the hushpuppies are probably the best and they have good coleslaw.

SW AR has some really good catfish places. Doc's and Westshore in Garland are both excellent

longtimeHogfan

January 18, 2017, 09:12:40 am #102 Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:24:21 am by longtimeHogfan
It's not just the Catfish Hole, there are lots of places nicer to eat.  It's the atmosphere.  Most of the kids from the north and 'left' coast have never had fried catfish and probably expect a hushpuppy to be a group canine obedience training facility. 

As one who's attended several of the recruit greetings at the C.H., I can tell you their eyes get wide as saucers and their jaws drop and when they come through the door and are greeted by a couple of hundred wild-eyed Razorback fans all calling the hogs they're smiling ear-to-ear.  For about 2-hours they are wowed and loved and it makes a lasting impression on players and families. 

I think it's one of the best kept secrets in D1 recruiting.   
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Sir Oinksalot

...I wonder if they use peanut oil, I've been reading about canola oil or so-called vegetable oil and it is not good. 

Also, something I'd like to see and I don't know how to get it done is for the recruits to come up I-49 and really see the lay of the land and mountains, it's one of the most beautiful drives I've been on and to top that hill and see the University is pretty dang awesome...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

ricepig

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on January 18, 2017, 09:12:40 am
It's not just the Catfish Hole, there are lots of places nicer to eat.  It's the atmosphere.  Most of the kids from the north and 'left' coast have never had fried catfish and probably expect a hushpuppy to be a group canine obedience training facility. 

As one who's attended several of the recruit greetings at the C.H., I can tell you their eyes get wide as saucers and their jaws drop and when they come through the door and are greeted by a couple of hundred wild-eyed Razorback fans all calling the hogs they're smiling ear-to-ear.  For about 2-hours they are wowed and loved and it makes a lasting impression on players and families. 

I think it's one of the best kept secrets in D1 recruiting.   

Yeah, it does well as a recruiting spot. Yes, no one expects the kids to go to the CH for night time fun, it's to bring the Momma's and Daddy's and show them the love and atmosphere their sons will be in. There's plenty of other fun when they leave with their hosts.

streitenberger

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2017, 06:39:56 pm
True, Ricky didn't last long......

Ricky was a 4 star prospect.

streitenberger

Quote from: grayhawg on January 17, 2017, 06:38:07 pm
Good, we strive to keep out riff-raff.

So will Belk Department stores from now on.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: streitenberger on January 18, 2017, 11:48:32 am
Ricky was a 4 star prospect.

Apparently with a 1 star work ethic.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Biggus Piggus

Too many catfish ho's.
[CENSORED]!

The OTR

Quote from: ricepig on January 18, 2017, 09:54:46 am
Yeah, it does well as a recruiting spot. Yes, no one expects the kids to go to the CH for night time fun, it's to bring the Momma's and Daddy's and show them the love and atmosphere their sons will be in. There's plenty of other fun when they leave with their hosts.

Do you believe a lot NEA recruits stay at Arkansas State instead of going to U of A because of the catfish situation we have going on over here?  Do you think that ultimately A-state will become the premier football program because of this? (Some would argue they already are and I doubt anyone has even considered why until now.)

And why we're at it, do you think that there is a strong correlation between quality of catfish and quality of recruits signing with schools in the SEC?  I think a strong argument could be made.  Does someone need to talk to Coach Bielema about this? Do we need more gas station catfish like NEA and Mississippi and Louisiana to get the recruits here?  Does someone from NEA that knows how to cook catfish need to come over here and buy the catfish hole and get that place up and running right for once?

ricepig

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 18, 2017, 01:39:06 pm
Do you believe a lot NEA recruits stay at Arkansas State instead of going to U of A because of the catfish situation we have going on over here?  Do you think that ultimately A-state will become the premier football program because of this? (Some would argue they already are and I doubt anyone has even considered why until now.)

And why we're at it, do you think that there is a strong correlation between quality of catfish and quality of recruits signing with schools in the SEC?  I think a strong argument could be made.  Does someone need to talk to Coach Bielema about this? Do we need more gas station catfish like NEA and Mississippi and Louisiana to get the recruits here?  Does someone from NEA that knows how to cook catfish need to come over here and buy the catfish hole and get that place up and running right for once?

The answer is Yes.

XX

I think they should turn it into a hot wings joint...call it the Buffalo hole.
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

Jackrabbit Hog

It's hard to find good collards and turnip greens at restaurants. 

I'll bet if somebody opened a collards and turnip greens restaurant in NWA we'd be picking up 5 stars left and right.

twistitup

I hear Nick's in Carlisle is better than CH.....plus bbq if you are not hungry for fish
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: twistitup on January 18, 2017, 05:15:34 pm
I hear Nick's in Carlisle is better than CH.....plus bbq if you are not hungry for fish

Yo twist!  When you ever been in Carlisle?  That's where all my relatives live!

And Nick's is good.  It's no Murry's for catfish and no Craig's for BBQ, but it'll do in a pinch.

twistitup

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 05:17:11 pm
Yo twist!  When you ever been in Carlisle?  That's where all my relatives live!

And Nick's is good.  It's no Murry's for catfish and no Craig's for BBQ, but it'll do in a pinch.

Eating my way from Memphis to Fville...and Im a big fan those Bisons
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PonderinHog

Quote from: seXual cHOGolate on January 18, 2017, 01:48:01 pm
I think they should turn it into a hot wings joint...call it the Buffalo hole.
Stop making sense!

Damn kids these days.   >:(

majestic

Catfish sucks. There, I said it. I'd rather starve than eat catfish. Rent out Doe's or somewhere with decent food.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

panhandlepig

Thanks alot to whoever started this thread.  Well, thank you not so much.  In order for me to eat decent  fried catfish and hush puppies, I gotta drive at least, maybe 4 hours.  Instead of arguing over it, count yourself lucky you  have options.

Shrevepork

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 18, 2017, 06:51:47 am
Just curious...how old is Shrevepork? If he's "gramps"....

Today I have been called old-timer, gramps, and elderly. I'm hurt. I refuse to give my age because someone would say I was nasty. Get it? And it wasn't just a hamburger-it was a Georges' Top Hat. Well, I just missed the senior buffet at the Golden Coral. Oh, well, it's bedtime anyway.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: majestic on January 18, 2017, 06:23:03 pm
Catfish sucks. There, I said it. I'd rather starve than eat catfish. Rent out Doe's or somewhere with decent food.

I always thought you were from another planet.  This confirms it.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: panhandlepig on January 18, 2017, 06:29:14 pm
  Thanks alot to whoever started this thread.  Well, thank you not so much.  In order for me to eat decent  fried catfish and hush puppies, I gotta drive at least, maybe 4 hours.  Instead of arguing over it, count yourself lucky you  have options.

Yeah, but you got all those fresh skrimps, crab legs and such.  Don't be whining about food when you live on the ocean.    >:(

26.2Hog

Catfish sucks. I'd rather starve than eat catfish.

Audra Favor: I can't imagine eating a dog . . .
John Russell: You ever been hungry, lady? Not just ready for supper. Hungry enough so that your belly swells?
Audra Favor: I wouldn't care how hungry I got. I know I wouldn't eat one of those camp dogs.
John Russell: You'd eat it. You'd fight for the bones, too.
Audra Favor: Have you ever eaten a dog, Mr. Russell?
John Russell: Eaten one and lived like one.
Audra Favor:  Dear me.

Hog Solo

Catfish hole is good and fan atmosphere there is outstanding. At that age I would've eaten paid for McDonald's and been happy.  Now as an an adult the greasy fish is something I'd  rather do without.  But that's my gastrointestinal problems not yours.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 18, 2017, 08:00:58 pm
Catfish hole is good and fan atmosphere there is outstanding. At that age I would've eaten paid for McDonald's and been happy.  Now as an an adult the greasy fish is something I'd  rather do without.  But that's my gastrointestinal problems not yours.

Remind me not to get stuck in an elevator with you.

Hog Solo

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 08:07:22 pm
Remind me not to get stuck in an elevator with you.

Good call.

Hogs958

pigture perfect

I was getting hungry for a late night snack, til y'all started all that canibal stuff.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

snoop hawgy hawg

Well as someone who was born and raised in Little Rock, I can say we definitely have better BBQ than NWA!! 🐷🐷🐷

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 18, 2017, 01:39:06 pm

It's all in the skripsss... Chicken Skripps AND Gizzards.!!  I overheard Mick Sabun say Phruck phish....
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 19, 2017, 07:21:07 am
It's all in the skripsss... Chicken Skripps AND Gizzards.!!  I overheard Mick Sabun say Phruck phish....

No, I'm telling you, it's in the sides.  We need more collards and turnip greens.  Had there been a prominent greens restaurant in NWA a few years ago we would have landed DGB.  And Vin Ascolese wouldn't have gotten cold feet and stayed in Jersey. 

010HogFan

Lol no it doesn't.

clutch

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2017, 03:58:56 pm
If you had ever been out of Benton County, you would know that Portia is a town in the Mother of Counties, and that the Dairy King is the place to go for catfish. In fact, I'd be more than happy to buy your meal there, should you ever leave Benton County.

Never pass up an opportunity to stop and eat at the Portia Dairy King. Love that place.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: twistitup on January 18, 2017, 05:15:34 pm

Uh NO, not even close!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 19, 2017, 11:41:30 am
Uh NO, not even close!

My wife is a big Nick's fan.  Every time we're driving back home (Memphis) from central Arkansas and aren't in a hurry, we have a disagreement over whether to stop at Nick's or at Craig's to pick up food to take home.  Since I'm a gentleman and I know where my bread is buttered, that means we usually stop at Nick's.  It's pretty good - both the bbq and the catfish - but it's by no means as good as advertised.  It benefits from the billboards, the location (about a half mile from I-40 at Carlisle), friendly staff, nicer surroundings and a more diverse menu.  Craig's, on the other hand, is about a 10 mile drive from the nearest I-40 exit (there's not an exit for DeValls Bluff), looks like a place out of the movie Sounder, and has all the ambiance of a solitary confinement cell.  The menu is basically hot, medium or mild.  But man, the bbq is terrific.  Blows Nick's out of the water.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 19, 2017, 11:58:20 am
My wife is a big Nick's fan.  Every time we're driving back home (Memphis) from central Arkansas and aren't in a hurry, we have a disagreement over whether to stop at Nick's or at Craig's to pick up food to take home.  Since I'm a gentleman and I know where my bread is buttered, that means we usually stop at Nick's.  It's pretty good - both the bbq and the catfish - but it's by no means as good as advertised.  It benefits from the billboards, the location (about a half mile from I-40 at Carlisle), friendly staff, nicer surroundings and a more diverse menu.  Craig's, on the other hand, is about a 10 mile drive from the nearest I-40 exit (there's not an exit for DeValls Bluff), looks like a place out of the movie Sounder, and has all the ambiance of a solitary confinement cell.  The menu is basically hot, medium or mild.  But man, the bbq is terrific.  Blows Nick's out of the water.

Nick's is alright if your local or just needing a food stop close to the interstate but it's not a destination nearly as much as Catfish Hole.  My favorite BBQ is either Jacks in Nashville TN or that little spot across the street from the Loves Travel plaza on I-40 on the east side of Jackson, TN. 

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: snoop hawgy hawg on January 19, 2017, 06:18:57 am
Well as someone who was born and raised in Little Rock, I can say we definitely have better BBQ than NWA!! 🐷🐷🐷

Little Rock is a soulless BBQ desert.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

26.2Hog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 19, 2017, 03:57:14 pm
Nick's is alright if your local or just needing a food stop close to the interstate but it's not a destination nearly as much as Catfish Hole.  My favorite BBQ is either Jacks in Nashville TN or that little spot across the street from the Loves Travel plaza on I-40 on the east side of Jackson, TN.

That little walk up hole in the wall?  You know about that place?  Exit-87 BBQ.  Second to none.

Terryproy

It's one of the reasons I'm glad Devwah chose Arkansas, those hush puppies are worth driving from Texas to get, WooDamnPig  :razorback: :razorback:

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: snoop hawgy hawg on January 17, 2017, 04:03:55 am
How much of a recruiting boost do you guys think it is? Do you think food there is good enough that recruits would want to come on visits just to eat???

Overrated, had better catfish plenty of places.  Mama Deans had better catters.

Torqued pork

January 20, 2017, 04:02:33 am #141 Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:09:33 pm by Torqued pork
I hope we throw in some $100 handshakes with the fried downhome goodness.

The OTR

This thread is still as hot as a piece of crispy catfish hole catfish I see.

Hush puppies and cole slaw are as good as you'll find anywhere. Pickles, green tomatoes, onions - check.  Catfish is really good. Thin cut, excellent tartar sauce.  Fries leave something to be desired in terms of quality and quantity.  Not exactly whattaburger in Russellville in that department.

Overall I give the catfish hole an A minus.  And I dare anyone to give it anything lower.

snoop hawgy hawg

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on January 19, 2017, 06:18:03 pm
What Little Rock BBQ place have eaten at??? Because I know people from MEMPHIS who have praised little rock BBQ...

Boog41

I'm reminded of that new Dr. Seuss book "You're Different And That's Bad"

Piggfoot

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on January 20, 2017, 09:37:49 am
This thread is still as hot as a piece of crispy catfish hole catfish I see.

Hush puppies and cole slaw are as good as you'll find anywhere. Pickles, green tomatoes, onions - check.  Catfish is really good. Thin cut, excellent tartar sauce.  Fries leave something to be desired in terms of quality and quantity.  Not exactly whattaburger in Russellville in that department.

Overall I give the catfish hole an A minus.  And I dare anyone to give it anything lower.
What do a bunch of Fayetteville yankees know about Catfish. The food quality is average. The Pickles and tomatoes come from a can.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 20, 2017, 04:02:33 am
I hope we throw in some $100 handshakes with the fried downtime goodness.

This made me lol!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

The OTR

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 20, 2017, 10:30:13 am
What do a bunch of Fayetteville yankees know about Catfish. The food quality is average. The Pickles and tomatoes come from a can.

Pickles yes. Tomatoes no.

I've noticed that we seem to be better at debating restaurants and social media than sports here. Sad that we only have about 6 people, who will remain nameless, who can debate sports intelligently here.

Hog-Corleone

I am not a fan either, fish normally over-cooked, and the corn meal is on way too thick. 

This is for Delta Boy, there are 50 places between Desha County and the Catfish Hole that have better fish and puppies, stop at one of them and eat there and save the gas money.
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on January 19, 2017, 06:18:03 pm

I know you must be joking.  Lindsey's (in NLR) and Sim's (in LR) are both old school and excellent.  Not to mention Whole Hog which is also great but in a different way.