Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Forbes Ranks UoA @ 12

Started by HawgWild, December 25, 2015, 05:17:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

December 25, 2015, 05:17:46 pm Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:31:27 am by HawgWild
Forbes magazine's annual ranking of the value of big-time college athletic programs puts Arkansas, at 12th, with a value of $80 million. Are we getting our money's worth?

ricepig

Depends, how much are you contributing?

HawgWild

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Quote from: HawgWild on December 25, 2015, 05:17:46 pm
Forbes magazine's annual ranking of the value of big-time college athletic programs puts Arkansas, at 12th, with a value of $80 million. Are we getting our money's worth?

It doesn't feel like it on the surface, but I've not looked at the various metrics to determine said ranking.

ricepig

Quote from: HawgWild on December 26, 2015, 07:35:52 am
Tush Hog

So, answer the question yourself, are you getting a good return on your investment?

HawgWild

No, I'm hoping for better. How about you?

ricepig

Quote from: HawgWild on December 26, 2015, 10:15:46 am
No, I'm hoping for better. How about you?

Sure I want better, but your question was our ROI. For the money I spend on donations, travel, tickets, and etc., I'm happy, or I wouldn't do it.

HawgWild

Actually in asking "we" I meant the program more than the individual. I think that it's generally assumed that there is some correlation between money and success. If this relationship was 1:1 then the #1 financial program would experience the #1 success in athletics. I think it speaks well of the program that we are #12 financially when not performing at that level athletically. Maybe we have lower expectations? Maybe we're long term investors?

ricepig

Quote from: HawgWild on December 26, 2015, 12:06:23 pm
Actually in asking "we" I meant the program more than the individual. I think that it's generally assumed that there is some correlation between money and success. If this relationship was 1:1 then the #1 financial program would experience the #1 success in athletics. I think it speaks well of the program that we are #12 financially when not performing at that level athletically. Maybe we have lower expectations? Maybe we're long term investors?

I think "we" benefit from being in a state with no professional team, and also for all practical and financial implications, the only D-I program. We are also members of a conference who demands and is paid big bucks by TV. I don't think expectations enter into it for the vast majority of "investors."

McKdaddy

Quote from: HawgWild on December 26, 2015, 12:06:23 pm
Actually in asking "we" I meant the program more than the individual. I think that it's generally assumed that there is some correlation between money and success. If this relationship was 1:1 then the #1 financial program would experience the #1 success in athletics. I think it speaks well of the program that we are #12 financially when not performing at that level athletically.

Agreed. Glad the UA athletics has the financial well-being it does, but the success on the field appears to fall short in terms of correlation.

As to Rice's point about ROI on my dollars, I'd buy tickets and make my donation regardless of the on-the-field success. It's simply what I do over the long-term, even in years when the ROI is seemingly negative.

Good discussion.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 27, 2015, 10:49:07 am
I'm still wondering why the university went from budgeting nothing on sports nutrition to nearly $2 million in one year.  There may be a perfectly valid reason but it is just one of the numbers that begs for some explanation.

We are feeding them in the new Jones Center, or letting them grab a meal to go, actually pretty simple.

https://twitter.com/RazorbacksFuel/status/677940367925227520

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 28, 2015, 11:19:06 am
Which still suggests how was the university feeding the athletes before - on NO budget? 
Did something change financially with respect to feeding athletes in terms of the funding? 
Why is the sports budget now having to account for this (to the tune of nearly $2 million) when it did not before? 

I'm not suggesting anything sinister here, but changes like that in a revenue and expense report certainly beg for more of an explanation. 

Probably had a meal plan, or was in their "expenses" for those living off campus. The NCAA changed it in 2014.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/15/us/ncaa-athlete-meals/index.html

ricepig