Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The coach we need, but don't really deserve

Started by Roaringboar, September 29, 2017, 09:43:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogs-n-Roses

Miles was a good coach. Every year was handed a top recruiting class and did less with them than I have time to explain.Those teams I saw him way underachieve with were amazing. Prolly should have had atleast 2 more National champs. That deal with him and the QB Jefferson were unexplainable. We don't have that built in recruiting advantage to keep him afloat here. It will take an offensive genius or defensive genius to do it for us. Someone who can evaluate talent to his system and they get it and can execute on the field what they've been taught. A defensive minded guy who can recruit could do the same. IE  A good coach won't get it done here. It will take a great one at some faze of the game. Then we will have to realize that its gonna be a crap shoot on getting a D coordinator who can put the other part together for us. Probably one of the overlooked bad issues with BP. He couldn't get along with his assistants. No one liked him. He was one DC away from getting the whole package here but his personality was one of control instead of working together to accomplish a goal. We need a coach like him who knows how to oversee without running off good coaches.

solitons

Quote from: hogfan14 on September 29, 2017, 10:02:22 am
Miles lost to Bielema by 17 his last two years... ::)

Do you guys also want to hire Spurrier?
if I say Huston nutt beat Saban before, will you say we should hire HDN over Saban?
Les Miles did a great job at LSU, if he can do same thing here, the fans will be very happy

Ugly Uncle

No.

1.  He didn't run a clean program at LSU.  He had players getting arrested, beating up people in bars, jumping people in the parking lot and they were not punished or received just a slap on the wrist. 

2.  I am familiar with H.S. Coaches from south Louisiana.  He alienated many of those coaches.

3.  See #2.  He is not a good recruiter.  He was the opposite of a good recruiter.  Many in national media have said that if LSU could just keep their top talent in state they could compete for a talent every year.  The reason they started falling off was because of Les Miles angering local coaches and players.

4.  Terrible in game manager.  His stubbornness in the Alabama national championship game is what cost them a chance at that title.  I've talked to people in the locker room during halftime of that game and after, and Les refused to listen to assistant coaches or make changes.  That is just one of many stories like that.

5.  He lacks creativity on offense.  You really want more of that?

No.  No Les Miles ever.
Retired Radio Host

Roaringboar

Quote from: solitons on September 29, 2017, 11:08:54 am
if I say Huston nutt beat Saban before, will you say we should hire HDN over Saban?
Les Miles did a great job at LSU, if he can do same thing here, the fans will be very happy

You're right. All of these fans on hogville started a few days ago saying, "Oh Miles doesn't know anything about football." Now they're all saying, "Oh Miles was just an under-achiever.....He can coach if he has great talent" They just keep coming up with BS excuses.

Truth is Miles was one of the most elite coaches in the COUNTRY when he got fired, and everyone agreed for the most part that he got screwed by LSU. This just  shows how ridiculous college football fans can be....Let's not forget that the recruiting rankings are just an opinionated ranking......Arkansas made it as high as #3 under Petrino, and we never had a top 10 class. Miles finished in the top 20 almost every season, and he would if we hired him here. Hell, I'd be okay if we finished just with 8 wins a few years in a row compared to what we are now. At least with Miles we wouldn't be worried about losing to NMST tommorrow, and no matter who all denies it, truth is that almost the entire fan base is worried we could very well lose this game tommorrow if we don't get our act togethor....
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

SemperHawg

Miles has the same problem out current coach has.  He is stuck in a mindset that isn't college football these day for everyone not Bama.  The days of playing that senior because he does it the right way are over.  The days of refusing to adjust your system to fit an ever changing football player are over.  These guys both (Miles and Bielema) see it as some kind of lack of discipline if they can't win "their" way.  Everyone on here beats up on Nutt, and I agree Nutt did a lot of things wrong, but one thing that dude did right was adjust what he did to fit his strength.  Matt Jones would likely have not seen the field under Coach B.  Or at the very least wouldn't have made it there as a QB. 

There are multiple positions on this years squad where less physically talented kids playing in front of kids that have the tools.  If this were the case in one or two spots I would get it.  Two walk on caliber players and a converted D-Linemen starting on our O-Line represents a stubbornness and unwillingness to swallow your pride and think about doing it a different way.  Having talented dudes like Jordan Jones and LaMichael Pettway buried on the depth chart behind a guy like Deon Stewart represents a stubbornness and unwillingness to swallow your pride and think about doing it a different way. 

Les Miles refusing to alter an offensive plan to fit the guys that played QB for him represented a stubbornness and unwillingness to swallow his pride and think about doing it a different way.

And before the army of supporters runs in here and hits me with the "You think these guys would knowingly sit players that give them the best chance to win?"  No, I don't.  And that is the worst part about guys like Miles and Bielema, they believe down to their bones that what they are doing will work.  That is why we won't see change and improvement even when the hand writing is on the wall for Coach B and even though it got Miles fired.

Its time for a different mindset and Les Miles ain't it!

Snortingred1

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 29, 2017, 09:43:22 am
Even though everyone here on Hogville just acts ignorant to his past success at LSU and wants to bash him by saying he's senile, foolish, and doesn't know a thing about football, Les Miles is the coach this program really needs.

Miles ran an amazing program at LSU, a program that was successful and competeing for the SEC West title every year, even in those last two down years. Miles has a proven record, and Miles program has produced more NFL talent than any other college football program at this current point in time. Miles is a proven winner, and he could at least get the Hogs back to winning 9 games a year instead of the pathetic 6 or 7 we might win with Bert at the reigns. The longer Bielema is here, the harder it will be to rebuild....

Supposedly that's what he's been doing the last five, and all we've seen is disaster after disaster with this football program.....Miles, though it would probably take a couple of years to get the pieces in place, by year three could have us turned back into a winning program. If you're a real Hog fan, you shouldn't just shoot his idea down, this is a real good fit for out program...

With the amount of talent Louisiana produces, anyone can win there.

Roaringboar

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on September 29, 2017, 11:17:58 am
No.

1.  He didn't run a clean program at LSU.  He had players getting arrested, beating up people in bars, jumping people in the parking lot and they were not punished or received just a slap on the wrist. 

2.  I am familiar with H.S. Coaches from south Louisiana.  He alienated many of those coaches.

3.  See #2.  He is not a good recruiter.  He was the opposite of a good recruiter.  Many in national media have said that if LSU could just keep their top talent in state they could compete for a talent every year.  The reason they started falling off was because of Les Miles angering local coaches and players.

4.  Terrible in game manager.  His stubbornness in the Alabama national championship game is what cost them a chance at that title.  I've talked to people in the locker room during halftime of that game and after, and Les refused to listen to assistant coaches or make changes.  That is just one of many stories like that.

5.  He lacks creativity on offense.  You really want more of that?

No.  No Les Miles ever.

Bielema has not run a perfect, clean program here either. He's had players make mistakes. A lot of programs do. And now I love your #2 and 3 excuses... It went from "Oh he just had good talent in-state" to "Oh he couldn't even get good in-state talent because he alienated the coaches" Get real....

And not a good game manager.....And I'm guessing you're saying Bielema is......That's just foolish........Miles won a title and played in two title games.....sure as heck more than Bielema ever played in......his teams finished in the top 20, really the top 15 on a regular basis. He turned LSU into an elite program everyone was scared of. He finished with a winning record against Arkansas (7-5), he turned LSU into the program it is today. This is why he's the coach we need, because he's a proven winner and elite coach at the Power-5 level.

We don't deserve him because of fans like this who refuse to acknowledge his abilities to win championships and 9-10 games a year......fans who'd rather stick with Bert and his crappy program instead of actually getting a coach who can win games.....

Hogwild

Quote from: je100 on September 29, 2017, 10:15:53 am
The Miles at LSU is not the same as the Miles at Okie State - which is a better comp for the Hogs talentwise.

He broke even in the Big 12 with State, and had a grand total of 3 victories over top 25 teams in 4 years.  He's no upgrade.

When Miles left OK St. he finished with the highest winning % of any coach there in the past 50 years, better record than Jimmy Johnson. Went to LSU and became their winningest coach ever, better record than Saban. He would be better than what we currently have but he might not be that right coach at the right time for us.  I read that he would one of the top candidates, along with Frost, for the Nebraska job if it would open up. The good thing for whoever hires him that you want have to pay him much since he is still on LSU's payroll.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 29, 2017, 11:30:01 am
Bielema has not run a perfect, clean program here either. He's had players make mistakes. A lot of programs do. And now I love your #2 and 3 excuses... It went from "Oh he just had good talent in-state" to "Oh he couldn't even get good in-state talent because he alienated the coaches" Get real....

And not a good game manager.....And I'm guessing you're saying Bielema is......That's just foolish........Miles won a title and played in two title games.....sure as heck more than Bielema ever played in......his teams finished in the top 20, really the top 15 on a regular basis. He turned LSU into an elite program everyone was scared of. He finished with a winning record against Arkansas (7-5), he turned LSU into the program it is today. This is why he's the coach we need, because he's a proven winner and elite coach at the Power-5 level.

We don't deserve him because of fans like this who refuse to acknowledge his abilities to win championships and 9-10 games a year......fans who'd rather stick with Bert and his crappy program instead of actually getting a coach who can win games.....

I'm sorry.  I didn't realize this thread was about Bielema.  I thought we were talking about Les Miles.

I think I understand what happened with Miles down in Louisiana and I think I have followed his career closely.  I don't believe anything I've said is wrong and I don't believe that you are correct in your opinion of who we need here.

Just things I think and believe.  Didn't mean to upset you.
Retired Radio Host

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Snortingred1 on September 29, 2017, 11:26:14 am

Some have and some haven't.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Roaringboar

Like Gerry DiNardo did.....Oh wait, you don't know who that is??? That's the guy who coached LSU before Saban who was so horrible they fired him before the end of the season in 1999, which was very uncommon during that time.....

And he actually did better than Saban did at LSU...."Wait did he just say...." Yes I did, here's Saban's LSU record

2000: 8-4
2001:10-3
2002: 8-5
2003: 13-1
2004: 9-3         Overall LSU Record: 48-16 SEC Record: 28-12

Miles first five years?

2005: 11-2
2006: 11-2
2007: 12-2
2008: 8-5
2009: 9-4  Overall Record: 51-15 SEC Record: 27-13
And then the next year
2010: 11-2
2011: 12-1
2012: 10-3

SO Miles had a better overall record, won a National title, went 4-1 in bowl games and then went on to play again in a national championship and hit double digit wins, all without Saban's players....Again, stats speak for themselves....

Also, only 3 of Saban's teams at LSU finished in the top 20, 4 of Miles were in the Top 20, and 3 were in the Top 10......Again, everyone needs to get their facts straight....

IronHog

No more QB killers

The #1 requirement for a Hog coach should be QB play.....
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

PossumFan

LSU won despite Les Miles, not because of him. All you had to do was watch a few of their games to recognize this truth.

IronHog

Quote from: PossumFan on September 29, 2017, 11:49:02 am
LSU won despite Les Miles, not because of him. All you had to do was watch a few of their games to recognize this truth.

Not true.  He had very athletic teams that played hard.  Aggressive defense and low risk offense with very good special teams.

That's a bad approach for Arkansas.....need to be able to go over teams like LSU at Arkansas
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

AFWarrior83

The Mad Hatter?  NO THANKS!  His overall record was impressive (much like Bielema's) except he won because of talent.  Arkansas will never be able to recruit like LSU, even if we had Saban (which will never happen).

We're stuck with Bret for now.  When the job becomes available, we should try to find a young up and comer. Stop giving away rediculous salaries, and wait till we find a coach that proves to be worth big money.  I hope we don't offer more than $2 mil for our next coach, but lace it with HUGE incentives.  Giving coaches so much money guaranteed without proving squat is stupid.
Hogville member since 2005.

solitons

Let's see how coach O do in this year, maybe next year

solitons

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 29, 2017, 11:41:53 am
Like Gerry DiNardo did.....Oh wait, you don't know who that is??? That's the guy who coached LSU before Saban who was so horrible they fired him before the end of the season in 1999, which was very uncommon during that time.....

And he actually did better than Saban did at LSU...."Wait did he just say...." Yes I did, here's Saban's LSU record

Miles first five years?

And then the next year

SO Miles had a better overall record, won a National title, went 4-1 in bowl games and then went on to play again in a national championship and hit double digit wins, all without Saban's players....Again, stats speak for themselves....

Also, only 3 of Saban's teams at LSU finished in the top 20, 4 of Miles were in the Top 20, and 3 were in the Top 10......Again, everyone needs to get their facts straight....

number tells the truth,+1

Roaringboar

Quote from: IronHog on September 29, 2017, 11:51:15 am

Not true.  He had very athletic teams that played hard.  Aggressive defense and low risk offense with very good special teams.

That's a bad approach for Arkansas.....need to be able to go over teams like LSU at Arkansas

In a way I can agree that maybe he should vamp up the offense so that it's more high octane, but then again, if we would let him run his system his way and give him time, he would get us back up to contending again. I don't want a coach who goes to this pure no-huddle crap. It may win games, but it's ridiculous. And defenses are starting to figure it out. He ran a good system at LSU until the fans and the AD demanded a championship.....the people behind the scenes began to force Miles to run LSU their way, not his, and that's why he started to tumble a bit.....and let's not forget, like I said, his team last year, the one where he was fired after 4 games, finished ranked 13th in the nation. He was just as much a part of that as Orgeron, so his system is still relevant, it's just the fans and boosters have to let him do things his way...Sure he may not win a natty every year, but then again he's not Nick Saban.....Too many people demand Saban style results anymore and it's just not possible.....

I would rather have our current coach as switch to Miles.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 29, 2017, 11:41:53 am

Miles first five years?

And then the next year

I wonder how many of those players Les used his first three years there were actually hold overs from Nick? In other words what Nick did his first three years there with Hallman's holdovers might be more impressive than what Les did his first three years with Nicks.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Roaringboar

Quote from: Karma on September 29, 2017, 12:04:19 pm
I would rather have our current coach as switch to Miles.

I'd rather John L. Smith than our current coach.......at least I knew he was going to be a disappointment from day one.....Bielema led us to believe he would rebuild our program and instead it's going up like the Hindenburg.....

Roaringboar

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 29, 2017, 12:06:10 pm
I wonder how many of those players Les used his first three years there were actually hold overs from Nick? In other words what Nick did his first three years there with Hallman's holdovers might be more impressive than what Les did his first three years with Nicks.

Again you refuse to look at the results from 2010 and 2011.....Those were his players that went 11-2 and 12-1. Not Saban's, his.......That was his system.....People use the Saban excuse, but Saban is not perfect, and not everything he touches turns to gold....the Dolphins sure didn't gain anything from the Saban era, and Michigan State hasn't become some dynasty from his time there.....No Miles came in and he won games.....When Bielema started winning here it was with Petrino's players, and you know what, everyone wanted to give him all of the credit.....so that excuse is just crap, just that....Miles coached those kids to their first championship, not Nick Saban.....Miles.....Not Saban....And besides that, In Miles third year when they did win the title, those seniors who played for Miles would've only had one year under Saban, and those would've been the only ones with Saban experience.....It was Miles who coached them and developed them, not Nick....

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

rljjr

Sweet mercy, are Roaring and WooPig the same person? By the way, where have you guys been the last 4 years? Just waiting for your chance to come on here and troll? Seriously. You've had 4 years to sharpen your claws and this is the best you can do? It's a disappointing troll job at best.

Roaringboar

Quote from: rljjr on September 29, 2017, 12:23:50 pm
Sweet mercy, are Roaring and WooPig the same person? By the way, where have you guys been the last 4 years? Just waiting for your chance to come on here and troll? Seriously. You've had 4 years to sharpen your claws and this is the best you can do? It's a disappointing troll job at best.

Hey, I read this board daily, but I've not had much to say or complain about until this season.....as for WooPig, I think he's a troll on here, I'm being serious about Miles, providing real stats, and no one yet has provided a negative one that proves he can't coach or that he would be bad here....not one....I feel it's a topic Hog fans need to talk about because it's right now our best option. We aren't getting Chip Kelley, we aren't getting Venerables, though he would be a great hire too, and I think this season we will miss out on an excellent hire in Miles because too many fans are out there ignorantly blasting him without known their facts....

code red

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 29, 2017, 09:48:26 am
I am going to repeat this one more time. Les Miles is a scumbag. He sat and giggled on the sidelines while his QB pretended to rip open a chest and pull a heart out. Days after we lost a player to a heart ailment. That was when Bobby dropped the MF bombs on him. He deserved every one of them.

He called us Ar-Kansas...

And he is overrated as a coach. Would be just like we have right now.

No way, No how.

PRJ
Scum bag?  Far from it, he is a winner and the recruiter we desperately need.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Roaringboar

Quote from: code red on September 29, 2017, 12:35:19 pm

It's nothing more than old school LSU/Arkansas rivalry hate.....these fans hate Miles 'cause he coached at LSU....if he'd done the same exact thing at Ole Miss or Florida or something like that, they'd be all over him screaming, "FIRE BIELEMA, GET MILES NOW!!!!"

Instead they just say, "Oh he's a horrible coach" Why is that? "Uh....because he is"

No evidence, no reasoning, so I just say, "Prove it."

BrianG

Lol....these guys would not know a coach that could play for or win a NC.  They laugh at a Miles or Malzahn and wonder how they end up with Hootie or Bert.  Look down at success keep hoping for Gruden.  BTW what the he'll did he ever do but talk on TV trying to look cool. 

rljjr

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 29, 2017, 12:29:56 pm
Hey, I read this board daily, but I've not had much to say or complain about until this season.....as for WooPig, I think he's a troll on here, I'm being serious about Miles, providing real stats, and no one yet has provided a negative one that proves he can't coach or that he would be bad here....not one....I feel it's a topic Hog fans need to talk about because it's right now our best option. We aren't getting Chip Kelley, we aren't getting Venerables, though he would be a great hire too, and I think this season we will miss out on an excellent hire in Miles because too many fans are out there ignorantly blasting him without known their facts....

Les Miles was FIRED MID-SEASON for failing to produce on the field with talent that should have been winning SEC championships. The mad hatter did less with more talent. I don't see how that could translate to helping the Hogs.

Fact: In 11 seasons his teams finished in the Top 10 in recruiting in 9 of those (never lower than 15 the other 2 seasons).
Fact: His last two full seasons were topped at 8 and 9 wins. His last season started 2-2.
Fact: He was dismissive of Ar-kansas even though CBB routinely beat him.

Conjecture and Opinion: He was trending down because of his pig-headed refusal to look facts in the face.
Conjecture: His teams played soft when it counted (the hot cocoa game in particular).
Conjecture and Opinion: Of all his great recruits, none of them were ever productive QBs.
Conjecture and Opinon: The game has passed him by.

buldozer

Even though everyone here on Hogville just acts ignorant to his past success at LSU and wants to bash him by saying he's senile, foolish, and doesn't know a thing about football, Les Miles is the coach this program really needs.

No Grass Eaters allowed here!

Roaringboar

Quote from: rljjr on September 29, 2017, 12:44:20 pm
Les Miles was FIRED MID-SEASON for failing to produce on the field with talent that should have been winning SEC championships. The mad hatter did less with more talent. I don't see how that could translate to helping the Hogs.

Fact: In 11 seasons his teams finished in the Top 10 in recruiting in 9 of those (never lower than 15 the other 2 seasons).
Fact: His last two full seasons were topped at 8 and 9 wins. His last season started 2-2. (And the team that year finished in the top 15)

Conjecture and Opinion: He was trending down because of his pig-headed refusal to look facts in the face.
Conjecture: His teams played soft when it counted (the hot cocoa game in particular).
Conjecture and Opinion: Of all his great recruits, none of them were ever productive QBs.

You're funny......using numbers like you think you know what you're talking about....you want to talk about what he did in 11 seasons, how about produce 9 top 20 teams....... 9 top 20 teams, and two national championship apperances.....how many apperances did Bielema have....oh none....how many top 20 teams.....Oh only 4 of his teams in 7 years.....OH and what's more he LOST every ROSE bowl he COACHED in......huh.....now that's interesting......

rljjr

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 29, 2017, 12:50:21 pm
You're funny......using numbers like you think you know what you're talking about....you want to talk about what he did in 11 seasons, how about produce 9 top 20 teams....... 9 top 20 teams, and two national championship apperances.....how many apperances did Bielema have....oh none....how many top 20 teams.....Oh only 4 of his teams in 7 years.....OH and what's more he LOST every ROSE bowl he COACHED in......huh.....now that's interesting......

You asked for numbers. I gave you numbers. You just don't want to hear them because it doesn't fit the narrative you're spewing. I have nothing personal against you other than it just seems mighty convenient you're vocal on the board when things aren't going well. As for saying I'm acting like I know something -- well, that's an opinion you have. I have zero inside knowledge of the program. I have zero inside knowledge of LSU's program under Les. But I'm capable of reading and understanding, and giving you my opinion on Les Miles. If you don't like it that's fine, come at me. I'm a man, I'm 50. Have a nice day, Hog fan and I hope the Hogs win the rest of their games. Do you?

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: code red on September 29, 2017, 12:35:19 pm

He is a scumbag. And I will stand by it. His shenanigans that caused Bobby to unless the MF bombs...

Scumbag

PRJ

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteHE RECRUITS WELL WHEREVER HE GOES YOU IDIOTS!
QuoteWOOPIGMAN

Miles was not a good recruiter, was a poor game manager, terrible at clock management, average at best at player development, was not creative nor innovative with his offense, was a horrible disciplinarian whose players constantly got into trouble, gave the impression of someone who was mentally challenged when speaking in public,

what's not to like?
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: rljjr on September 29, 2017, 12:44:20 pm

Fact: His last two full seasons were topped at 8 and 9 wins. His last season started 2-2.

I believe this is where this thread ends...

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on September 29, 2017, 12:59:30 pm
Miles was not a good recruiter, was a poor game manager, terrible at clock management, average at best at player development, was not creative nor innovative with his offense, was a horrible disciplinarian whose players constantly got into trouble, gave the impression of someone who was mentally challenged when speaking in public,

other than that he'd be a solid replacement for CBB. 

And if that one didn't end the thread...this one will.

Les Miles....LMAO

PRJ

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

cosmodrum

September 29, 2017, 01:29:58 pm #88 Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 02:31:16 pm by cosmodrum
In what bizarro world does someone think a guy who squandered the kind of talent Saban fenced in for him, could be successful with Arkansas talent?

Go away, batin'

Hogwild

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 29, 2017, 12:06:10 pm

Dinardo was there before Saban not Hallman.  Saban like Miles did inherit a lot of talent, but one thing you need to keep in mind with LSU, their players only stay 3 years before going to the NFL.

Maddhog

I haven't been keeping up - has Hogville already discussed Richt and found him to be unsuitable?  I've always respected him as a better than average coach and a really decent man. 

One that has intrigued me for some time is Brent Venables.   

I will hang up and listen.  🐗🏈👍
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

GoHogs1091

Miles ran an amazing program at LSU, a program that was successful and competeing for the SEC West title every year, even in those last two down years. Miles has a proven record, and Miles program has produced more NFL talent than any other college football program at this current point in time. Miles is a proven winner, and he could at least get the Hogs back to winning 9 games a year instead of the pathetic 6 or 7 we might win with Bert at the reigns. The longer Bielema is here, the harder it will be to rebuild....

Supposedly that's what he's been doing the last five, and all we've seen is disaster after disaster with this football program.....Miles, though it would probably take a couple of years to get the pieces in place, by year three could have us turned back into a winning program. If you're a real Hog fan, you shouldn't just shoot his idea down, this is a real good fit for out program...

If Miles decides to coach again (instead of just living off of his LSU buyout) then I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to either Nebraska or Ole Miss.

When we are ready to make a change in another year or two years, the following may be the only big names that will consider us.

Skip Holtz
Jim Grobe
Al Golden
Dan Hawkins

Ironhawg

Les Miles had a great run at LSU, where he was surrounded by top notch talent.  He was 28-21 at Oklahoma State.  I think in terms of our recruiting situation, I think Arkansas is closer to being Oklahoma State than LSU.  Miles had a reputation over the years at LSU, particularly in his final years, of not developing quarterbacks and LSU's passing game.  He's also 63 years old, which isn't ancient, but isn't exactly young either.
I think the Mad Hatter would be an improvement on Bielema, but not much of one.

NielsBoar

Quote from: BrianG on September 29, 2017, 12:43:15 pm
Lol....these guys would not know a coach that could play for or win a NC.  They laugh at a Miles or Malzahn and wonder how they end up with Hootie or Bert. 

The irony here is pretty rich. Nobody in this thread is singing the praises of Hootie or Bert. Neither accomplished what we had all hoped for as fans. About the only thing you can say for them is that they consistently beat the brakes off of LES FRIGGIN MILES!

ballz2thewall

here's the deal from where i sit.

you keep mentioning stats and records.

relevant but not the entire story.

my position comes from watching the games. under miles lsu has been lackluster in latter years. despite his recruiting issues in south louisiana he still had great classes. watching the games as a whole was dreadful given the players abilities. they were undisciplined and sporadic. inconsistent and careless/penalties.

those qualities have absolutely no realistic promise as a blueprint for success at arkansas.
The rest of the frog.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 29, 2017, 12:11:41 pm
Again you refuse to look at the results from 2010 and 2011.....Those were his players that went 11-2 and 12-1. Not Saban's, his.......That was his system.....People use the Saban excuse, but Saban is not perfect, and not everything he touches turns to gold....the Dolphins sure didn't gain anything from the Saban era, and Michigan State hasn't become some dynasty from his time there.....No Miles came in and he won games.....When Bielema started winning here it was with Petrino's players, and you know what, everyone wanted to give him all of the credit.....so that excuse is just crap, just that....Miles coached those kids to their first championship, not Nick Saban.....Miles.....Not Saban....And besides that, In Miles third year when they did win the title, those seniors who played for Miles would've only had one year under Saban, and those would've been the only ones with Saban experience.....It was Miles who coached them and developed them, not Nick....

So IF you want to pick out years then look at years four and five for each respectively. Saban did much better.  Also as years go players leave and talent comes and goes. Lots of reasons and variables as to why a coach does better or not one year to the next. Also if you want to compare titles how many did Les win and how many has Nick won in their WHOLE career.

Redhogs

Can we please ban the grazer's name from this message board...jeeze.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 29, 2017, 02:15:37 pm
So IF you want to pick out years then look at years four and five for each respectively. Saban did much better.  Also as years go players leave and talent comes and goes. Lots of reasons and variables as to why a coach does better or not one year to the next. Also if you want to compare titles how many did Les win and how many has Nick won in their WHOLE career.
Correct. As Saban's players left, so did Les's wins.

Redhogs

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 29, 2017, 01:43:12 pm
If Miles decides to coach again (instead of just living off of his LSU buyout) then I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to either Nebraska or Ole Miss.

When we are ready to make a change in another year or two years, the following may be the only big names that will consider us.

Skip Holtz
Jim Grobe
Al Golden
Dan Hawkins
You can't be serious, that list is a joke right? Never mind, don't even care anymore. The idiocy is just plain astounding.

GoHogs1091

I am afraid you are correct.

We had two chances to hire Venables.  Jeff Long though chose to instead hire a NFL failure who is not trustworthy (Robert Petrino) and Long chose to instead hire someone who is good at writing a brown nose letter, and who had garnered some wins against the mediocre teams in at that time a mediocre conference (Bielema).