Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Goldberg: Tigers gearing up for Big Cat IV this weekend

Started by jbcarol, May 22, 2012, 08:14:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

To attract attention, Luper and Co. invented the Tiger Prowl limo tour and Big Cat recruiting weekend during Gene Chizik's first year as head coach. Alas, the NCAA legislated Tiger Prowl out of existence. But the weekend has survived all the way to this Big Cat IV.

QuoteLuper says it'll be like the others -- designed for fun and games and not so much about football.

"The productivity comes from the uniqueness of it of the event," Luper said. "Not anyone else in the country gets these many unofficial visits when it's not attached to a spring game or Junior Day or a camp. The reason it is popular is because kids know it's not going to be any football whatsoever, not unless it's someone here for the first time, and only then those guys will  get a small introduction to Auburn football.

"But it's really an opportunity for the players to socialize and for the families to socialize with our families and our players. They can forget about football and recruiting for a weekend. We have a lot of unique games and contests, some Family Feud-type contests, and other unique things."

Luper sees it as, ironically, a break from recruiting.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

"A few years ago, coaches started thinking about branding unique recruiting weekends, it's all about differentiating yourself from the competition," Rivals.com national analyst Mike Farrell said.

"They aren't trying to get 500 kids there, it's very specialized," Farrell said.

QuoteEach of Auburn's last three recruiting classes have had prospects that have led the way in recruiting other prospects to join them in the Tigers' class. In 2009 it was players like Jake Holland and Ladarius Owens. In 2010 prospects like Kiehl Frazier and Reese Dismukes accepted that role. Last year, Zeke Pike and Cassanova McKinzy helped lead the way.

"It's important for someone to step up and be a leader for this class," Farrell said. "When I look at Auburn's class I don't see that guy yet. They need someone to step up and be that guy. As personable as Dee Liner is, as nice as Carl Lawson is, this is a big weekend for those guys to get to know each other. You want kids to get to know each other in the class and this should help that."

Oxbaker

HUGE success this weekend.  All the top talent will be on the AU campus to see what the AU coaching staff has to offer.  Probably get several silent commits and turn a few into AU locks.  Why doesn't Arkansas do something similar to try and create a little excitement about your program?  Would seem to be a better plan than dwelling on losing Petrino.  John L needs to start thinking outside the box.

Virgil

It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Oxbaker on May 24, 2012, 03:59:58 pm
HUGE success this weekend.  All the top talent will be on the AU campus to see what the AU coaching staff has to offer.  Probably get several silent commits and turn a few into AU locks.  Why doesn't Arkansas do something similar to try and create a little excitement about your program?  Would seem to be a better plan than dwelling on losing Petrino.  John L needs to start thinking outside the box.

do you mean outside the Xbox, since that is what your epic recruiting weekend is all about?

I don't mind our recruiting tactics. Less hokey pokey than your stuff. besides, you just get a bunch of drug heads and thiefs out of that whole deal.

oh, wait a minute.

Oxbaker

Quote from: Virgil on May 24, 2012, 04:01:06 pm
Your momma!!!
My mother is a saint you inbred hick.  Don't besmirch her name with your foul typitudes.

T I G E R

Because "Big Hog Weekend" doesn't sound as enticing... unless this guy is going to be there.

Oxbaker

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on May 24, 2012, 04:05:48 pm
do you mean outside the Xbox, since that is what your epic recruiting weekend is all about?

I don't mind our recruiting tactics. Less hokey pokey than your stuff. besides, you just get a bunch of drug heads and thiefs out of that whole deal.

oh, wait a minute.
You are mislead if you think that BCW is only about Xbox.  There are pie eating contests (various flavors, from what I'm told), three legged races, tether ball tournaments and trust falls among other bonding experiences.  Arky needs to step up their game if they want to hang.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Oxbaker on May 24, 2012, 04:10:15 pm
You are mislead if you think that BCW is only about Xbox.  There are pie eating contests (various flavors, from what I'm told), three legged races, tether ball tournaments and trust falls among other bonding experiences.  Arky needs to step up their game if they want to hang.

We hang just fine. What was that final score last season................?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Oxbaker on May 24, 2012, 04:06:04 pm
My mother is a saint you inbred hick.  Don't besmirch her name with your foul typitudes.

Saint Bernard's don't count.......................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogginbama

Quote from: Oxbaker on May 24, 2012, 04:10:15 pm
There are pie eating contests (various flavors, from what I'm told),

Let me guess the flavors.....blondes, redheads, brunettes....all college sweethearts trying to make their daddies proud by being the one to bring in the next "Cammie-Cam".

Sorry, couldn't resist this feable attempt at humor.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

cosmodrum

Lol...tether ball. You guys tryin to sign Napoleon Dynamite? Just because his uncle could throw the football over mountains back in 82 doesn't mean he can.

Go away, batin'

Virgil

Quote from: Oxbaker on May 24, 2012, 04:06:04 pm

Your momma!!!
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

jbcarol

Tyshon Dye gets fast start to Big Cat Weekend

Quotehe dropped in Friday ahead of schedule and left saying he had a good feeling about the Tigers.

The four-star running back from Elberton, Ga., said family plans prompted the quick trip. 

"I would have loved to stay," he said.

Other Big Cat visitors stayed over for a Friday night of Family Feud-style games and relaxation. Auburn coaches say they stress building bonds with the players, not breaking open the playbook for Big Cat.

jbcarol

Big Cat notebook: A commitment for Auburn

QuoteTight end Arshad Jackson left Big Cat Weekend as Auburn's only new commitment, but it sound (sic) as if the Tigers...

Jackson checked in and out as a 6-foot-6, 235-pounder from Lovejoy High in Hampton, Ga., as Auburn's 10t (sic) commitment for the 2013 signing class.

jbcarol

Quarterback Jason Smith weighs the possibilities after Big Cat

QuoteMcGill-Toolen Quarterback Jason Smith said committing to Auburn "crossed my mind" during the school's Big Cat recruiting weekend, but he stepped back and decided he wanted to visit other places before choosing where he'll play college football in 2013. 

"They said if I came and didn't start my freshman year, I would still get on the field because I'm dynamic and they couldn't let my abilities sit on the bench," Smith said. "They said they would have a package for me. I would be coming in as a quarterback and I will give it my all. It would be hard for the other guys because I'm going to bring it." 

He said earlier that Alabama talked to him about playing cornerback.

Rivals says Smith has offers from Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas and Ole Miss, among others.