Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fire Dave Van Horn!!

Started by HamShank, March 27, 2006, 07:54:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HamShank

Since everybody here wants everybody fired, I was just wondering if you guys wanted to go ahead and get this one started.

hogfan064

Quote from: HamShank on March 27, 2006, 07:54:07 am

Since everybody here wants everybody fired, I was just wondering if you guys wanted to go ahead and get this one started.

Our RPI is 8th.  We're playing in a conference with 8 teams in the top 25.   Yeah let's fire a guy who has us 8th in RPI.

LA HAWG

hogsanity

Well his SEC record is under .500 for his time at UA.  Those are the numbers people throw out when wanting Nutt and Heath fired. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan064

Quote from: hogsanity on March 27, 2006, 09:34:00 am
Well his SEC record is under .500 for his time at UA.  Those are the numbers people throw out when wanting Nutt and Heath fired. 

SEC baseball is different.  You can make it to Omaha with a below .500 record in the SEC.  14-16 in the SEC will get you a #2 seed in a regional.  HDN and Heath don't currently have their programs in the top 20 and haven't gotten their programs in the top 8.  They haven't won SEC Championships and DVH has.  Heath and Nutt are unproven coaches where DVH is very proven.  Any talk of DVH being fired is stupid.  The guy has us at #8 in RPI.   I promise you if Heath had us at #8 or Nutt had us at 8th in the BCS rankings noone would complain. 

If you're a .500 club in the SEC then you're a top 25 club in the nation, and sometimes top 10

Doug

Nutt Sucks.

Heath Sucks.

First round NCAA losses suck.

Van Horn does NOT suck.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

CharlieHog

This thread is going to be posted a minimum of 50 times this season. It wasn't funny or original after the first.

If you don't know enough about baseball to get that it's different than other sports, don't post about it.

hogsanity

I was being, at least partially, sarcastic.  Van Horn does not need top be fired, but he is not the be all end all of college baseball coaches either.  This season is setting up just like last year.  Breeze through the non conf with some good wins.  Get a high ranking, then limp through the sec at or below .500.  And they are losing games the same way they did last year, no relief help and shaky late inning defense. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HamShank

This was my point.  I think Van Horn is more than capable.  I don't think he should be fired, but I just think we all have the tendency to get a little fickle on this board.

CharlieHog

Quote from: HamShank on March 27, 2006, 10:00:37 am
This was my point.  I think Van Horn is more than capable.  I don't think he should be fired, but I just think we all have the tendency to get a little fickle on this board.

Yeah it's a point that's been made numerous times on this board in the last two weeks.

hogfan064

You can't look at the number .500 in SEC baseball like you do in other sports.  The SEC champion in football winning pct is usually .1000 or .875.  The SEC Champion in basketball is usually .812 or .875. 

The highest winning pct in SEC history was USC's 2000 season when they finished 25-5 .833. That will never be seen again. Usually the SEC CHamp in baseball is about .633.  Ray Tanner is currently the SEC's winningest baseball coach in terms of %.  Since 2000 he's only winning .640. 

DVH is currently 48-48 in SEC regular season games.  .500 in SEC baseball is equivalent to 6-2 or 11-5 in the other 2 sports. 

zwhogfan

van horn should stay, anyone who says otherwise has no clue what they are talking about

Ugly Uncle

This thread is not original.  This has been thrown out by other supporters of Nutt and sometimes Heath.

So, let me say again:

You people that make comments like this, and even start threads about DVH...are actually insulting the intelligence of Razorback fans.  We don't want Nutt FIRED and have serious concerns about Heath simply because of their records.  Informed and educated fans here in Arkansas know good and bad coaching.  We haven't just watched Arkansas lose games, but we have watched Arkansas lose games that should have and could have been won with competent coaching.  We don't just complain to be complaining as this thread implies.  We have pointed out many things that proved that we have a head football coach that lacks what it takes to compete on the level of other D1 coaches.  Things that have happened that just cannot be explained, that have cost us game after game.  Nutt has been an embarrassment.  Heath, while improving is still far from being the coach we all hoped he was when he came.  I am frustrated and confussed about some of the things Heath has done, but at least he seems to be getting better...Nutt on the other hand only changes, or makes changes when forced. 

We are not stupid fans that only look at records and then scream for someones head if they aren't what we hoped.  We do have some knowledge of the game and are more than disappointed when we see other coaches from lesser schools ACTUALLY DOING MORE WITH LESS.

Dave Van Horn is a good coach.  Good fundamentals, and good decisions made during the game.  Baseball is a more complex game than the other two.  Good pitching can shut down anyone's bats for a single game.  DVH coaches at a high level...the other two don't or in Heath's case, rarely does.

I wish people on here would actually demonstrate their God given intelligence and quit starting these kinds of threads (and insulting the intelligence of razorback fans).
Retired Radio Host

hogfan064

Quote from: zwhogfan on March 27, 2006, 10:12:10 am
van horn should stay, anyone who says otherwise has no clue what they are talking about

I don't think people understand how tough SEC baseball is. 

Another fact for you.  Since DVH has arrived, only South Carolina, Arkansas, LSU, and Ole Miss have made the SEC tourney every year.

Buff

get this: Van Horn has had this weird habit having some of the top teams in the conference the last few years.  Heath and Nutt, on the other hand, have had a habit of struggling to finish .500 the last few years.

hogfan064

Also let's keep in mind that DVH has had problems the last 2 years with key injuries and suspensions.  In college baseball you are only allowed 11.6 scholarships.  So when you lose starters you have to go to guys who may not even be scholarship players.  Yet, DVH was 1 game away from the Super Regionals last year.  And this year we're #8 in the RPI!!!

HogFather

Cajun Hog

Quote from: CharlieHog on March 27, 2006, 09:57:17 am
This thread is going to be posted a minimum of 50 times this season. It wasn't funny or original after the first.

If you don't know enough about baseball to get that it's different than other sports, don't post about it.

Very Well Stated. Do you think any other coach can have a top 15 team with all the injures this team has?  ::)

hogfan064

SEC Baseball can be summed up like this. 

LSU is by far the best program in SEC history, but since Skip Bertman took over the AD position the program has fallen.  Currently Ray Tanner and USC are The Program in the SEC.  LSU is still doing well, but Tanner has Smoke's # and LSU has underachieved. 

After those 2 teams its a scramble of about 9 other programs who all are very good.  And now Kentucky is off to a great start.  UK is usually the doormat, but have really improved.  Year in and year out the SEC has about 9 legit NC contenders. 

If you look at every other SEC school besides USC and LSU since 2000 I promise you they are all hovering around .500 just like Arkansas

hogsanity

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 27, 2006, 10:14:01 am

Another fact for you.  Since DVH has arrived, only South Carolina, Arkansas, LSU, and Ole Miss have made the SEC tourney every year.

And I dont think people realize SEC football is even tougher and sec basketball is just as tough as baseball. 

The sec is just tough, period, but if you are going to use that to explain losses in one sport you have to use it in all sports.

HogFather

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 27, 2006, 10:25:18 am

LSU is by far the best program in SEC history, but since Skip Bertman took over the AD position the program has fallen.  Currently Ray Tanner and USC are The Program in the SEC.  LSU is still doing well, but Tanner has Smoke's # and LSU has underachieved. 

After those 2 teams its a scramble of about 9 other programs who all are very good.  And now Kentucky is off to a great start.  UK is usually the doormat, but have really improved.  Year in and year out the SEC has about 9 legit NC contenders. 

If you look at every other SEC school besides USC and LSU since 2000 I promise you they are all hovering around .500 just like Arkansas

Don't forget Miss. State is the #1 team in the nation right now.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: hogsanity on March 27, 2006, 10:34:16 am

And I dont think people realize SEC football is even tougher and sec basketball is just as tough as baseball. 

The sec is just tough, period, but if you are going to use that to explain losses in one sport you have to use it in all sports.

Once again...read above...it is not the only thing we are using to explain loses.  But, you are wrong...neither are as tough as baseball.
Retired Radio Host

CharlieHog

It's not just that good teams play in the SEC in baseball. It's that EVERY team is good. There is more parity in SEC baseball than there is in football or basketball.

hogfan064

I disagree.  In SEC football you had 6 teams make the postseason last year.  In SEC baseball you'll have 9 most years.  SEC football is very tough, but you do have every year some weak teams.  In SEC Baseball you usually have 1 weak team(Auburn this year)  In SEC football you might have 4 legit NC contenders.  This year in SEC baseball I can make a point for 9 SEC baseball teams to be legit NC contenders.

SEC Baseball probably the toughest conference in any sport. 

Hugehogsfan

I just think when it comes down to it DVH is a complete coach both on and off the field.  He has expectations for his players and if they don't live up to those standards then they are taken care of.  I just think that he coaches where the other two just kinda let things happen and blame it on the players.  ("He shouldn't have fallen on the ball" and "Modica was playing on a bad ankle" blah blah blah) You won't hear DVH saying crap like this to cover a loss. 

hogfan064

Quote from: CharlieHog on March 27, 2006, 10:37:58 am

It's not just that good teams play in the SEC in baseball. It's that EVERY team is good. There is more parity in SEC baseball than there is in football or basketball.

Win the winningest coach in your sport only has a winning pct of .640 in conference play I would definitely call that parity.  Where in football the winningest coaches pct(Steve Spurrier) is over .800

dman

I was waiting for this, DVH, HDN and SH are all good coaches.  Although I said SH should be fired if they did not make the Big Dance, I am basically glad he is here.  We will see after this year how DVH and HDN's teams finish up.  I love the Hogs, these are our coaches, we need to back them.  Too bad JMc can not coach them all.

hogsanity

Baseball also gives you a chance to make up for losses.  in SEC FB usually one loss and you are hoping for help to win your division.  Basketball does give some chance of making up for losses, but baseball has 30 conference games.  Of course winning % will be lowere due to more games and several good teams.

I never said baseball was easy, but it does have some advantages that other sports do not.

hogfan064

Quote from: hogsanity on March 27, 2006, 10:47:39 am
Baseball also gives you a chance to make up for losses.  in SEC FB usually one loss and you are hoping for help to win your division.  Basketball does give some chance of making up for losses, but baseball has 30 conference games.  Of course winning % will be lowere due to more games and several good teams.

I never said baseball was easy, but it does have some advantages that other sports do not.

The 11.6 thing is what really kills you.  Lose a couple players to injury and you're done.  Just think, you get more scholarships in basketball than in baseball, but yet a baseball team is twice as large

LA HAWG

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 27, 2006, 11:02:41 am

The 11.6 thing is what really kills you.  Lose a couple players to injury and you're done.  Just think, you get more scholarships in basketball than in baseball, but yet a baseball team is twice as large

Agreed, that does not make sense.  Maybe fresh legs would give DVH some of his scholarships.

hogfan064

Quote from: LA HAWG on March 27, 2006, 11:17:21 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on March 27, 2006, 11:02:41 am

Agreed, that does not make sense.  Maybe fresh legs would give DVH some of his scholarships.

Just imagine a basketball team with only 6 scholarship players.  And imagine 1 of them got hurt.  That's basically what DVH is dealing with right now.  Yet we're still #8 in RPI.  This thread shouldn't exist

JusticeHawg

and speaking of Kentucky......I do believe that their coach and Coach VH have something in common.....they both were the head coach at Northwestern State down in La.    That school always has a pretty dang good coach.   Wells at Alabama, Van Horn at UA and think that dude at UK's name is Cohen, and all of them coached at NSU .    Whoever the AD is at Northwestern State needs to be hired away by a bigger school with more money cause the dude has made some good hires if in fact it was the same guy doing the hiring.
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!

hogfan064

Quote from: JusticeHawg on March 27, 2006, 11:44:16 am

and speaking of Kentucky......I do believe that their coach and Coach VH have something in common.....they both were the head coach at Northwestern State down in La.    That school always has a pretty dang good coach.   Wells at Alabama, Van Horn at UA and think that dude at UK's name is Cohen, and all of them coached at NSU .    Whoever the AD is at Northwestern State needs to be hired away by a bigger school with more money cause the dude has made some good hires if in fact it was the same guy doing the hiring.

That AD also had a pretty good basketball team this year.  Don't they have a top football program in 1-AA as well?

HatfieldHog

I really think that you were asking for it, but,  If you really think we sould fire Van Horn, then,  "You're an idiot!"

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

LL COOL HOG

I WANTED TO POST THE SAME FIRE VAN HORN THREAD.  SMITE ME IF YOU MUST BUT THE OBVIOUS SARCASIM ON THIS BOARDS GETS TREATED LIKE FACTS. LOOSEN UP THIS IS THE INTERNET PEOPLE.  ITS LIKE A FEW PPL WHO POST HERE ARE ON BI POLAR.  FIRE HEATH...WAIT DON'T FIRE HEATH.....NO FIRE HEATH.. 
THE ORIGINAL POSTER WAS JUST MAKING A STATEMENT.....LIGHTEN UP PLEASE

RAZORBART

Quote from: CharlieHog on March 27, 2006, 10:37:58 am

even Vandy has a good baseball team !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a ridicules thread by any stretch of  imagination. Like you all stated, some of these people have no concept of the sport what so ever and should read more and post less.

NATEHOGG216

This is a STUPID THREAD.  See injuries sustained ALREADY this year.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

CharlieHog

March 27, 2006, 12:29:25 pm #37 Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 11:50:31 am by The Gimp
Quote from: bigrod155 on March 27, 2006, 12:22:03 pm
I WANTED TO POST THE SAME FIRE VAN HORN THREAD.  SMITE ME IF YOU MUST BUT THE OBVIOUS SARCASIM ON THIS BOARDS GETS TREATED LIKE FACTS. LOOSEN UP THIS IS THE INTERNET PEOPLE.  ITS LIKE A FEW PPL WHO POST HERE ARE ON BI POLAR.  FIRE HEATH...WAIT DON'T FIRE HEATH.....NO FIRE HEATH.. 

THIS THREAD HAS ALREADY BEEN STARTED FIFTY TIMES.

LEARN TO TURN YOUR CAPS LOCK KEY OFF.

Mod edit:  LEARN TO NOT HURL PERSONAL INSULTS, SON.

RAZORBART

Quote from: bigrod155 on March 27, 2006, 12:22:03 pm

If they were just trying to be sarcastic or funny then why do they keep posting trying to justify their stupid comments ?
Think you need to read all their post before making comments.

hogsNbeer

Like I've said before.... NUTT doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same THREAD as Van Horn.... He will never be the coach that Van Horn is......Thanks... Oh btw, FIRE NUTT!!!!!      :razorback:

hogfan064

Quote from: hogsNbeer on March 27, 2006, 12:54:57 pm
Like I've said before.... NUTT doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same THREAD as Van Horn.... He will never be the coach that Van Horn is......Thanks... Oh btw, FIRE NUTT!!!!!      :razorback:

When Nutt takes 3 teams to the BCS then he will deserve it.  DVH has been to the CWS 3 times, that's the equivalent of a BCS Bowl.  Actually its harder to get to the CWS than the BCS.  You have 119 CFB teams and over 300 in college baseball. 

mikeirwin

He's back to .500.

hogfan064

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 27, 2006, 01:30:09 pm
He's back to .500.

He's 48-48 in SEC play. 

RAZORBART

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 27, 2006, 10:08:23 am
You can't look at the number .500 in SEC baseball like you do in other sports.  The SEC champion in football winning pct is usually .1000 or .875.  The SEC Champion in basketball is usually .812 or .875. 

The highest winning pct in SEC history was USC's 2000 season when they finished 25-5 .833. That will never be seen again. Usually the SEC CHamp in baseball is about .633.  Ray Tanner is currently the SEC's winningest baseball coach in terms of %.  Since 2000 he's only winning .640. 

DVH is currently 48-48 in SEC regular season games.  .500 in SEC baseball is equivalent to 6-2 or 11-5 in the other 2 sports. 

Yes you are correct and it seems okay to measure the big leagues that way but for some reason when its college they look at it differently, and especially in a very competitive conference like the SEC. Being one of the most northern geographically located puts us at somewhat a disadvantage until at least next year with a uniform start date.Arkansas,Kentucky, Tennessee, and maybe Vandy either start later or play a lot on the road. Ever wonder if that has any bearing on our injury situation ? The cold weather and its effect on muscles,etc ? Sore backs (2), legs (several), etc even pitching arms ? What you think Charlie ?

CharlieHog

Quote from: RAZORBART on March 27, 2006, 02:09:36 pm
Yes you are correct and it seems okay to measure the big leagues that way but for some reason when its college they look at it differently, and especially in a very competitive conference like the SEC. Being one of the most northern geographically located puts us at somewhat a disadvantage until at least next year with a uniform start date.Arkansas,Kentucky, Tennessee, and maybe Vandy either start later or play a lot on the road. Ever wonder if that has any bearing on our injury situation ? The cold weather and its effect on muscles,etc ? Sore backs (2), legs (several), etc even pitching arms ? What you think Charlie ?

I don't think the cold has anything to do with it. Coach D always kept us at home, regardless of the weather.

hogsrmyfav36

They should put a retractable roof over Baum Stadium.  We could call it the "Bubba Dome"
F&*!NG INTRANET

hogfan064

The weather hurts the state's baseball as well.  In Florida and South Carolina there is year round baseball.  I live in SC and I can tell you the youth leagues in Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and Columbia are nonstop.  I'm sure Florida is the same way.   This is a bigtime college baseball state.  South Carolina had more regional teams last year than any other state(6). The coast attracts alot of youth tourneys in SC and Florida NWA can't practice year round baseball.  Arkansas isn't going to host many bigtime national youth tourneys either like SC and FL do. 

BTW did you see where 10 SEC teams are ranked in the 2 major polls this week.  10 of 12.  No conference in any sport can say that

RAZORBART

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 27, 2006, 02:17:33 pm

The weather hurts the state's baseball as well.  In Florida and South Carolina there is year round baseball.  I live in SC and I can tell you the youth leagues in Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and Columbia are nonstop.  I'm sure Florida is the same way.   This is a bigtime college baseball state.  South Carolina had more regional teams last year than any other state(6). The coast attracts alot of youth tourneys in SC and Florida NWA can't practice year round baseball.  Arkansas isn't going to host many bigtime national youth tourneys either like SC and FL do. 

BTW did you see where 10 SEC teams are ranked in the 2 major polls this week.  10 of 12.  No conference in any sport can say that

Good points !!! It is refreshing to read sensible and informative post from you and Charlie among others instead of the usual beatdowns. And yes, I did see where you all posted the new rankings and that is VERY impressive to have 10 out of the 12 schools in our conference ranked in the top 25.Kind of similar to having 2 SEC teams in the final 4.

lunchbox72703

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 27, 2006, 10:16:49 am
In college baseball you are only allowed 11.6 scholarships. 

See, I don't understand why, in baseball, are you given a percentage of one scholarship?  Why not just make it 12 available scholarships? 

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread, but i was curious about the sholarships for baseball.

CharlieHog

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on March 27, 2006, 04:27:28 pmSee, I don't understand why, in baseball, are you given a percentage of one scholarship?  Why not just make it 12 available scholarships? 

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread, but i was curious about the sholarships for baseball.

When Title IX was introduced, they took away a certain percentage of each male sport. Baseball had something like 13, and now they have 11.7 (not 11.6).

It's just the way it worked out.