Gafford stays but Garland is not cleared to play
32 (13.4%)
Gafford goes into the draft but Garland is cleared to play
38 (15.9%)
Gafford goes into the draft and Garland is not cleared to play
73 (30.5%)

Total Members Voted: 239

Sow Lancelot

March 17, 2018, 07:16:44 am #50 Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:02:01 am by Sow Lancelot
I figure he's gone but I dream that he wants to pursue the college life one more year.

And play with some guards that will drive and dish consistently.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

#1 STUNNA

I'll have to question whatever teams

aloha_kid

Quote from: yraciv on March 16, 2018, 04:40:03 pm
It's not glamorous, but the G League is a viable option to develop your game. The NBA has done a good job coming up with a respectable minor league system in recent years.  On top of that the 20th pick in the draft gets 1.5 million in year 1, so Gafford will get paid unless he falls past the 1st round, which I don't think is possible.

He's not going in the first round.  Super athletic, but lacks strength.  Dunks are great, but are only one phase of the game.  Stick around a couple of years, develop more strength, and round out game will do him wonders.

Athog

Quote from: johnfanman on March 16, 2018, 04:25:53 pm
This showing didn't do much for his NBA draft stock. He would still be drafted, but I bet he falls after this. Maybe a year or two to develop a 15 ft. jumper and less fouling. That would make him top 10 I would imagine. But, who knows, it would be hard to pass up guaranteed millions at 19.

Would be stupid to pass it up if projected in round one! There are no guarantees.

Soooie21

Reading post on Gafford, it seems that alot of people want him to go....

JONAS

Quote from: Soooie21 on March 17, 2018, 08:50:42 am
Reading post on Gafford, it seems that alot of people want him to go....

Not me.  I want him to come back.

PorkRinds

You guys bashing gafford should re-examine your station in life. Idiots.

cram224

I wish the UofA would spend money and send DG to a camp for big men to learn footwork and develop low post moves.

rtr

We better hope he comes back.  He had a bad game but he was far from alone yesterday.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

RebHog

Quote from: aloha_kid on March 17, 2018, 07:45:32 am
He's not going in the first round.  Super athletic, but lacks strength.  Dunks are great, but are only one phase of the game.  Stick around a couple of years, develop more strength, and round out game will do him wonders.

The NBA now drafts on potential these days. They can fix strength issues but cant do anything about god given talent that Gafford possesses. I would love to see him come back but if he goes through the evaluation and still projects somewhere in the teens in the draft its a big gamble IMO. If he came back he would probably be the focal point teams look at to shut down. If MA would focus on teaching a PNR system and actually setting real screens then Gafford would excel but don't see anything changing on that front.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 16, 2018, 04:23:46 pm
2-9 7pts may be the best thing to happen to Arkansas

Yeah, I agree.. I'm sure it is an eye opener for all... just not rready physical play,,,,

Bmockeg

1st time poster, long time reader. Pulled over a young man who plays basketball for Bentonville and said he's walking in at the U of A next year. Said Gafford is for sure going in the draft. Since he's projected 1st round I can't blame him but it would be nice if he would stay and improve his stock. I'm sure most expected he was gone, just thought I'd share the info I heard. Fire away!

widespreadsooie

I'm pretty confident in the fact he hasn't made a decision yet.

311Hog

i just walk-in bentonville basketball player =)

HF#1

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 20, 2018, 12:26:55 pm
I'm pretty confident in the fact he hasn't made a decision yet.

I'm pretty confident he is shopping for an agent and will announce after he has picked one.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pinto

Quote from: HF#1 on March 20, 2018, 12:28:43 pm
I'm pretty confident he is shopping for an agent and will announce after he has picked one.

Please stop spreading false rumors

widespreadsooie

Quote from: HF#1 on March 20, 2018, 12:28:43 pm

LOL, okay bud.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Bmockeg on March 20, 2018, 12:20:53 pm
1st time poster, long time reader. Pulled over a young man who plays basketball for Bentonville and said he's walking in at the U of A next year. Said Gafford is for sure going in the draft. Since he's projected 1st round I can't blame him but it would be nice if he would stay and improve his stock. I'm sure most expected he was gone, just thought I'd share the info I heard. Fire away!

You pulled over a young man who is walking on at the U of A next year? Pretty sure they haven't had the walk on tryouts yet. So, he told you that Gafford is for sure going in the draft?

Sounds like this kid picked up on the fact that you were a Hog fan and decided to say anything and everything Hog related to keep your mind off of writing him a ticket. Kudos to the kid. I've done the something similar and gotten out of a jam myself.
Hogs up! Covid down!

HawgHeadCheese

I thought Holmes was our walk on though. Or do we get 2? Serious question

HogBeliever625

Quote from: Bmockeg on March 20, 2018, 12:20:53 pm
There's no one even good enough at bville to walk on 🙄

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 20, 2018, 12:43:43 pm

We just had one graduate so I guess we get at least 2.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

No one should be surprised when he enters the draft. That, however, is different than staying in the draft.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 20, 2018, 12:44:57 pm
We just had one graduate so I guess we get at least 2.
I thought he only became a Walk on due to early suspensions, Harris redshirting, and Garland not clearing. That guy was actually a water boy they gave a uniform if I'm not mistaking.

Pinto

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 20, 2018, 12:38:48 pm
You pulled over a young man who is walking on at the U of A next year? Pretty sure they haven't had the walk on tryouts yet. So, he told you that Gafford is for sure going in the draft?

Sounds like this kid picked up on the fact that you were a Hog fan and decided to say anything and everything Hog related to keep your mind off of writing him a ticket. Kudos to the kid. I've done the something similar and gotten out of a jam myself.

LMAO I'm crying laughing

Pinto

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 20, 2018, 12:43:43 pm

I think you can have 15 on roster but only 13 scholarships

GuvHog

Quote from: Pinto on March 20, 2018, 01:23:55 pm
I think you can have 15 on roster but only 13 scholarships

Correct. Since Harris red shirted and Garland was not medically cleared to play, There were only 11 Scholarship players available to play this year so there were 4 walk on spots. So If Gafford opts for the NBA Draft, only 4 active scholarship players will return next season with Harris and possibly Garland. That isn't good.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Bmockeg

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 20, 2018, 12:38:48 pm

If I was simple minded you might be on to something, but your post contains more speculation than mine. Anyone thinking Gafford is gonna pass up the 1st round after losing the top 2 scorers and point guard is delusional. Whether the kid walks on or not, I couldn't care less. What I'd bet is he knows more than you about it though.

riccoar

Gafford is probably getting evals now.  He has until 11:59 PM on April 10th to pull his name out of consideration.

Remaining Eligible: Professional Draft Inquiries
http://www.ncaa.org/remaining-eligible-professional-draft-inquiries

Pinto

Quote from: riccoar on March 20, 2018, 01:50:46 pm
Gafford is probably getting evals now.  He has until 11:59 PM on April 10th to pull his name out of consideration.

Remaining Eligible: Professional Draft Inquiries
http://www.ncaa.org/remaining-eligible-professional-draft-inquiries

He has until April 10th to declare for the draft whether he signs an agent or not. NBA combine isn't until the middle of May and he has 10 days after that to decide whether he's coming back or not.

hawg1221

He will not go in the first round. I don't know what some of you guys are smoking. He's got the body frame, but hasn't shown much of anything else. Sure, he had a few good games, but the majority of the season he was average at best. No fluidity. Players could pick his pocket. And my biggest issue is he doesn't perform well under pressure, or as some would say, in the clutch. I must say I predicted that he would not do good in the NCAA tournament on another thread due to what I just mentioned. I watched almost all the games and that's what my eyes tell me. He would more than likely go in the 2nd round, maybe lower, but no 1st rounder here. He needs to come back and next year he would be a 1st rounder. I hope he doesn't get a big head either. That's ruined many players' careers.

Bmockeg

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 20, 2018, 02:23:09 pm
He will not go in the first round. I don't know what some of you guys are smoking. He's got the body frame, but hasn't shown much of anything else. Sure, he had a few good games, but the majority of the season he was average at best. No fluidity. Players could pick his pocket. And my biggest issue is he doesn't perform well under pressure, or as some would say, in the clutch. I must say I predicted that he would not do good in the NCAA tournament on another thread due to what I just mentioned. I watched almost all the games and that's what my eyes tell me. He would more than likely go in the 2nd round, maybe lower, but no 1st rounder here. He needs to come back and next year he would be a 1st rounder. I hope he doesn't get a big head either. That's ruined many players' careers.

Guess you don't partake in mock drafts.

hawg1221

Quote from: Bmockeg on March 20, 2018, 02:25:01 pm
Guess you don't partake in mock drafts.

I've seen too many of these mock drafts be wrong.

hawg1221

Porter was supposed to go around 13-14 and went 23rd. There's a reason they're called mock drafts.

Bmockeg

Quote from: hawg1221 on March 20, 2018, 02:30:04 pm
Porter was supposed to go around 13-14 and went 23rd. There's a reason they're called mock drafts.

I don't disagree with your evaluation and agree that he needs development and another year. My money would be on him declaring on potential.

Roadhog82

Absolutely no chance he's a 2nd rounder. 7 footers with that kind of athleticism are rare. I agree he needs to work on some things, but he has more raw talent than Portis by a mile and will go round 1 on potential alone.

Pinto

You're clearly the one smoking if you don't believe he will go first round. There's a reason why mocks have him that high, because actual GMs have said they are willing to take him around those ranges

hawgball40

People who see gafford play see a "poor man's" anthony davis. athletically gifted and fluid athlete like davis, just needs, polish, strength, and skill. I think that's good enough to get him drafted in the first round. The question then becomes, how high does he get picked. If its top 15, i would say he's gone for sure. But if he's out of the top 15 and thinks he could go lottery next year, it might possibly be enough for him to take the risk in coming back one more year. I don't know him personally but you gotta think he goes. I mean, you're 18 or 19 years old, how do you turn down a million bucks to leave college early? i mean you don't unless you think you can triple or more the amount you will make by waiting a year. that's just how i see it.

The_Bionic_Pig

Gafford hasn't made a decision yet and is awaiting a evaluation by NBA personnel.

1.  He is very willing to return for his Sophomore year per Dudley.

2. He and family are not in any financial situation which would play in the decision

3. He knows the difference between a 1.1 Million dollar contract this year and a possible 3+ Million dollar contract per year the next draft. *Lottery*
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawg Red

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/22827790/nba-draft-stock-watch-next-deandre-ayton-trae-young-more-first-rounders-ncaa-tournament

QuoteDaniel Gafford | PF/C | Arkansas

7 points (2-for-9 FG), 5 rebounds, 3 blocks in 21 minutes in a loss to Butler

Gafford struggled to finish what otherwise has been a strong freshman season on a high note. His length and agility were on display as he impressively deterred a few Kamar Baldwin shots at the rim, and he did flash his offensive rebounding ability on occasion. With that said, Gafford's lack of reliable offensive skill was clear as he settled for two 1-foot fallaways in the post, a contested 17-footer and a wild post attempt along the baseline. His lack of fundamentals as a pick-and-roll defender were on display as well. He doesn't give himself nearly enough space to contain the ball and gets burned more often than his tools suggest. Gafford also gave up a handful of offensive rebounds.

Looking forward: Gafford has had his fair share of duds this season, along with some spectacular games. Scouts know what they're getting with him -- a fairly active rim-running, lob-catching, offensive rebounding center with a huge reach and some physical upside. He has limitations but remains a mid-first-round caliber prospect with a clear-cut NBA role and a high floor. -- Schmitz

Pinto

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 20, 2018, 02:53:04 pm
Gafford hasn't made a decision yet and is awaiting a evaluation by NBA personnel.

1.  He is very willing to return for his Sophomore year per Dudley.

2. He and family are not in any financial situation which would play in the decision

3. He knows the difference between a 1.1 Million dollar contract this year and a possible 3+ Million dollar contract per year the next draft. *Lottery*

4. He believes he can be a top 10 pick next year

hawg1221

Quote from: Pinto on March 20, 2018, 02:45:50 pm
You're clearly the one smoking if you don't believe he will go first round. There's a reason why mocks have him that high, because actual GMs have said they are willing to take him around those ranges

We'll see.

The real Hogules

If he's projected pretty solidly in the top 15 picks, then he should go ahead and take the money.
If, he's closer to 20-25 or lower, then he should return and prove himself as one of the focal points of our offense next season.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

rljjr

I thought I read that Gafford said he was coming back.

The real Hogules

Quote from: Pinto on March 20, 2018, 03:09:57 pm
4. He believes he can be a top 10 pick next year

With an actual PG to get him the ball next season I could see that, too!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The real Hogules on March 20, 2018, 03:12:40 pm
If he's projected pretty solidly in the top 15 picks, then he should go ahead and take the money.
If, he's closer to 20-25 or lower, then he should return and prove himself as one of the focal points of our offense next season.

Do you think he would be?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hawgball40 on March 20, 2018, 02:51:30 pm
People who see gafford play see a "poor man's" anthony davis. athletically gifted and fluid athlete like davis, just needs, polish, strength, and skill. I think that's good enough to get him drafted in the first round. The question then becomes, how high does he get picked. If its top 15, i would say he's gone for sure. But if he's out of the top 15 and thinks he could go lottery next year, it might possibly be enough for him to take the risk in coming back one more year. I don't know him personally but you gotta think he goes. I mean, you're 18 or 19 years old, how do you turn down a million bucks to leave college early? i mean you don't unless you think you can triple or more the amount you will make by waiting a year. that's just how i see it.

He reminds me more of a Willie Cauley-Stein or Nerlens Noel. Davis had such a great offensive game even in college. Stein and Noel both went 6th in their drafts, if Gafford stayed and developed a little bit he could be Top 10, if he became a legitimate offensive threat on the block than he could go Top 5.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Pinto on March 20, 2018, 12:36:48 pm
Please stop spreading false rumors

He's not spreading rumors, he stating what he believes is happening. He may certainly be right.
Go away, batin'

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 20, 2018, 03:13:58 pm
Do you think he would be?

I do.

Most of our scoring has left.  We will have guards that look to Gafford as the leader, rather than Gafford looking at SR. guards as the leaders.  I do think there will be a focus on getting him the ball next year, much like Portis was the focal point in his Sophmore year.
Retired Radio Host

PolishPigPower

The NBA is valuing their developmental league now more than ever, and most teams value it more than college, especially where 7-footers with athleticism are involved.  I think between his talent and his family situation, he can't risk an injury next year without getting paid.  If you've been to most parts of El Dorado and down in Farmerville, LA, where his dad lives... you know what I mean by this.

I'm not trying to be an oracle or shoot off my mouth, but given the information I have been told and seen, he is not coming back next year.  His stock has skyrocketed since October, and we should be dang glad he never waivered on the UA since his 9th grade commitment.
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on March 20, 2018, 03:23:40 pm
I do.

Most of our scoring has left.  We will have guards that look to Gafford as the leader, rather than Gafford looking at SR. guards as the leaders.  I do think there will be a focus on getting him the ball next year, much like Portis was the focal point in his Sophmore year.

Portis was a good face up offensive player with shooting range.  Although some games he disappeared for stretches due to the guards, he still had a much different offensive game. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.