Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IF Kentucky beats Florida

Started by Razor_back, February 28, 2018, 10:11:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razor_back

IF Kentucky beats Florida, and we beat Missouri, then we will be in sole place of 3rd in the SEC standings. Correct?
Go Hogs

RazorSax

Kentucky will more than likely wrap up third if they beat Florida and we beat Missouri. They have a gimme other than Florida in Ole Miss.

It will probably end up -

Auburn
Tennessee
Kentucky
Arkansas

Tennessee finishes with Georgia and should win it, but Auburn has SC at home and the tiebreaker over Tennessee I believe.

GuvHog

Quote from: RazorSax on February 28, 2018, 10:13:06 am
Kentucky will more than likely wrap up third if they beat Florida and we beat Missouri. They have a gimme other than Florida in Ole Miss.

Auburn
Tennessee
Kentucky
Arkansas

Tennessee finishes with Georgia and should win it, but Auburn has SC at home and the tiebreaker over Tennessee I believe.

Yep, the Hogs realistically have no shot at getting higher than a 4 seed in the SEC Tournament.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

311Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on February 28, 2018, 10:19:46 am
Yep, the Hogs realistically have no shot at getting higher than a 4 seed in the SEC Tournament.

and luckily 4 is just as good as 3.  A double bye is the reward.

jmingram911

however if UK loses to FLA and beats OM...... and we beat MO, then we get the 3 seed?

texas tush hog

Quote from: RazorSax on February 28, 2018, 10:13:06 am

Auburn
Tennessee
Kentucky
Arkansas

Top four will be good enough. If we beat Missouri we will be fourth.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Razor_back on February 28, 2018, 10:11:44 am
IF Kentucky beats Florida, and we beat Missouri, then we will be in sole place of 3rd in the SEC standings. Correct?

Kentucky also has to lose to Ole Miss tonight or else the best we can hope for is 4th.

jmingram911

ahhh I gotcha! im a student up here in STL and my pops is driving up Wednesday night for the weekend. The 3 seed would be my best shot at making the most games around my school schedule is why I was wondering!

Anyone have any insight on what seed we could end up as if we were to lose to Mizzou?

GuvHog

Quote from: jmingram911 on February 28, 2018, 10:23:02 am
however if UK loses to FLA and beats OM...... and we beat MO, then we get the 3 seed?

No, the only way the Hogs can get the 3 seed is if the Hogs beat Missouri, UK loses to Ole Miss, then beats Florida. UK isn't losing to Ole Miss in Rupp Arena.

Razor_back

I didn't realize KY had two games left. I got it now.
Go Hogs

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: jmingram911 on February 28, 2018, 10:28:24 am
ahhh I gotcha! im a student up here in STL and my pops is driving up Wednesday night for the weekend. The 3 seed would be my best shot at making the most games around my school schedule is why I was wondering!

Anyone have any insight on what seed we could end up as if we were to lose to Mizzou?
So for your sake, we should hope Kentucky loses to Ole Miss! For the conference's sake, we want Kentucky to win. helps RPI
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Razor_back

If we lose to Missouri, what's the worst we can do?
Go Hogs

GuvHog

Quote from: jmingram911 on February 28, 2018, 10:28:24 am

If the Hogs lose to Missouri, they are looking at being a 6 seed in the SEC Tournament, having to play on Thursday, then having to play the winner of the UK- Florida game the next day.

They would be looking at an 8 or 9 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Losing to Missouri would be disastrous.

navyhog24

Getting the 4 seed would be best anyways. I would rather have Auburn on our side than Tennessee. Tennessee is playing scary good right now.

jmingram911

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 28, 2018, 10:31:06 am
So for your sake, we should hope Kentucky loses to Ole Miss! For the conference's sake, we want Kentucky to win. helps RPI

yes!!! ha but looks like if we lose we would be a 6 seed which plays the latest games (i believe) that would work out for me too! just hoping we have a good run in the SECT and I get to finally see it. The other two times I went to nashville with my dad they pooped a brick... 1 and dones!

sickboy

Quote from: GuvHog on February 28, 2018, 10:33:24 am
If the Hogs lose to Missouri, they are looking at being a 6 seed in the SEC Tournament, having to play on Thursday, then having to play the winner of the UK- Florida game the next day.

It wouldn't be disastrous. It would suck, but it isn't a disaster to lose one road game when you're positioned where we are.

99toLife

Not at all, it would suck, but in the big picture it will have little effect in the long run.

GuvHog

Quote from: sickboy on February 28, 2018, 10:49:41 am
It wouldn't be disastrous. It would suck, but it isn't a disaster to lose one road game when you're positioned where we are.

Say what you want but IMHO, losing to Missouri and getting stuck with an 8 or 9 seed in the NCAA Tournament would be a disaster.

RazorSax

I like our chances against a Virginia, Villanova, Xavier, or a Kansas this year.

I am not overly impressed with any of them. Nothing dominant about them.

I would be much more worried about the 2 seeds, Duke, UNC, Michigan State, and Purdue. All four of them are very good teams when on and would be match up nightmares for the Hogs.

razorhead94

Quote from: GuvHog on February 28, 2018, 10:56:34 am
Say what you want but IMHO, losing to Missouri and getting stuck with an 8 or 9 seed in the NCAA Tournament would be a disaster.

Losing that game would not result in a drop like that.  Most have Hogs on the 6/7 line at the moment.  It takes a bad loss to drop that far and the teams AR will be playing will be tourney teams.  More than likely they'll stay put at the 6/7 line.

Last night's win was huge getting to that position.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

code red

Quote from: 99toLife on February 28, 2018, 10:52:57 am
Not at all, it would suck, but in the big picture it will have little effect in the long run.
Not following.  So an 8 or 9 seed is ok?  I'd think we would want to avoid that at all costs.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

sickboy

Quote from: code red on February 28, 2018, 11:36:48 am
Not following.  So an 8 or 9 seed is ok?  I'd think we would want to avoid that at all costs.

You think Ole Miss wants to avoid an 8 or 9 seed at all costs? Would it be crappy? Sure. But I'll take being an 8 seed come March as opposed to sitting at home.

GuvHog

Quote from: razorhead94 on February 28, 2018, 11:35:05 am
Losing that game would not result in a drop like that.  Most have Hogs on the 6/7 line at the moment.  It takes a bad loss to drop that far and the teams AR will be playing will be tourney teams.  More than likely they'll stay put at the 6/7 line.

Last night's win was huge getting to that position.

I disagree. This Hog team will be a 6 or 7 seed, possibly even a 5 seed, if they beat Missouri Saturday. If they lose, they will be an 8 seed at best. What you don't understand is most brackets are predicting what seed the Hogs will be if they win on Saturday, not what they would be if the season ended last night.

razorhead94

Quote from: GuvHog on February 28, 2018, 11:40:32 am
I disagree. This Hog team will be a 6 or 7 seed, possibly even a 5 seed, if they beat Missouri Saturday. If they lose, they will be an 8 seed at best.

Agree to disagree....one game this time of year on the road against a top RPI 50 team doesn't drop like that.  Auburn did not drop at all after last night's game because it is on the road.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

99toLife

Quote from: GuvHog on February 28, 2018, 11:40:32 am
I disagree. This Hog team will be a 6 or 7 seed, possibly even a 5 seed, if they beat Missouri Saturday. If they lose, they will be an 8 seed at best. What you don't understand is most brackets are predicting what seed the Hogs will be if they win on Saturday, not what they would be if the season ended last night.
If they lose to Missouri and win 2 games in the SECT they will be a 7 seed at worst. If they win every game on out and win the SECT, they still probably wont be a 5.

BossHog12

Quote from: 99toLife on February 28, 2018, 12:14:35 pm
If they lose to Missouri and win 2 games in the SECT they will be a 7 seed at worst. If they win every game on out and win the SECT, they still probably wont be a 5.

If the Hogs win out and win the SECT a 5 seed is the absolute worst we could do.

311Hog

Quote from: BossHog12 on February 28, 2018, 12:27:41 pm
If the Hogs win out and win the SECT a 5 seed is the absolute worst we could do.

in this unlikely scenario i can totally see the committee rewarding the Hogs for winning a very tough conference champion.  I doubt a 1 or a 2 but maybe a 2 or 3 seed.  To win it would have to beat Tenn again i would assume I would think it would be hard to put the champion from arguably one of the toughest conferences this year as a 5 seed. That is where the champ from the Mid atlantic goes lol

hobhog

Just take care of business Saturday. 4 seed n same bracket as a faltering auburn as #1 seed would be my preference. Otherwise we'd meet UK in semis if 3 seed I believe.

If we lose its hard to tell where we'd fall, but would be playing Thursday I presume.

riccoar

TexasRazorback

Ideally we want the 4 but 5 would not be bad either.  Would give us a warm up game before we play the 4 and then it would be Auburn or the 8/9 seed int the semi's

GuvHog

Quote from: TexasRazorback on February 28, 2018, 01:57:19 pm
Ideally we want the 4 but 5 would not be bad either.  Would give us a warm up game before we play the 4 and then it would be Auburn or the 8/9 seed int the semi's

Being a 5 seed means playing on Thursday. That's never a good thing.

razobak

February 28, 2018, 02:31:03 pm #31 Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 02:42:09 pm by razobak
If UK beats Ole Miss, and we beat Mizzou, the seeding would most likely be:

1 Auburn 13-5 (if they win against SCar or if Tenn loses against UGA)
2 Tennessee 13-5
3 Kentucky/Florida winner 11-7
4 Arkansas 11-7
5 Kentucky/Florida loser 10-8
6 Miss State (if they win @ LSU) 10-8 If they lose to LSU that could create a 3-way tie for 6th with Mizzou and Bama.)
7 thru 14 up in the air. The picture will be clearer after tonight's games (Ole Miss @ UK, TA&M @ UGA, LSU @ SCar)

If UK loses to Ole Miss but beats Florida, and we beat Mizzou:

1 Auburn 13-5
2 Tennessee 13-5
3 Arkansas 11-7
4 Florida 10-8 (would be 2-0 against Kentucky and thus hold the tiebreaker amongst the 10-8 teams)
5 Kentucky 10-8
6 Miss State 10-8 (again pending a win @ LSU)

If Kentucky beats Ole Miss, Miss State beats LSU and we lose to Mizzou:

1 Auburn 13-5
2 Tennessee 13-5
3 UK/UF winner 11-7
-----4 way tie at 10-8 between UK/UF loser, Arkansas, Mizzou, and Miss State. If UK beats UF, the seeding would be:
4 Florida (3-0 against Ark, Mizz, MSU)
5 Miss State (2-2 against Ark, UF, Mizz)
6 Mizzou (2-3 against Ark, UF, MSU)
7 Arkansas (1-3 against Mizz, UF, MSU)
If UF beats UK:
4 Kentucky (3-1 against Ark, Mizz, MSU)
5 Mizzou (3-3 against Ark, UK, MSU; 0-1 against Auburn, 1-0 against Tenn)
6 Miss State (2-2 against Ark, UK, Mizz; 0-1 against Auburn, 0-1 against Tenn)
7 Arkansas (1-3 against UK, Mizz, MSU)

If Kentucky beats Ole Miss, LSU beats Miss State, and we lose to Mizzou:

1 Auburn 13-5
2 Tenn 13-5
-----3 way tie at 10-8 between UK/UF loser, Arkansas, and Mizzou.
If UK wins:
4 Florida (2-0 against Ark and Mizz)
5 Arkansas (1-2 against UF and Mizz; 1-1 against Auburn)
6 Mizzou (1-2 against UF and Ark, 0-1 against Auburn)
If UF wins:
4 Kentucky (2-1 against Mizz and Ark)
5 Mizzou (2-2 against UK and Ark)
6 Arkansas (1-2 against UK and Mizz)
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

cityhog

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 28, 2018, 10:34:28 am
Getting the 4 seed would be best anyways. I would rather have Auburn on our side than Tennessee. Tennessee is playing scary good right now.

This. ^^

GuvHog

Quote from: razobak on February 28, 2018, 02:31:03 pm

2 Tennessee 13-5
4 Arkansas 11-7
6 Miss State (if they win @ LSU) 10-8 If they lose to LSU that could create a 3-way tie for 6th with Mizzou and Bama.)
7 thru 14 up in the air. The picture will be clearer after tonight's games (Ole Miss @ UK, TA&M @ UGA, LSU @ SCar)

1 Auburn 13-5
2 Tennessee 13-5
3 Arkansas 11-7
4 Florida 10-8 (would be 2-0 against Kentucky and thus hold the tiebreaker amongst the 10-8 teams)
5 Kentucky 10-8

1 Auburn 13-5
2 Tennessee 13-5
3 UK/UF winner 11-7
-----4 way tie at 10-8 between UK/UF loser, Arkansas, Mizzou, and Miss State. If UK beats UF, the seeding would be:
If UF beats UK:

1 Auburn 13-5
2 Tenn 13-5
If UK wins:
If UF wins:

If UK beats Ole Miss but loses to Florida and the Hogs beat Missouri:

1. Auburn
2. Tennessee
3. Florida
4. Arkansas
5. Kentucky

razobak

Quote from: GuvHog on February 28, 2018, 03:11:36 pm
If UK beats Ole Miss but loses to Florida and the Hogs beat Missouri:

1. Auburn
2. Tennessee
3. Florida
4. Arkansas
5. Kentucky

Yep. Technically, if UK beats Ole Miss and we beat Mizzou, the winner of UK/UF will get the 3, we'll get the 4, and the loser of UK/UF will get the 5. Florida and Kentucky are interchangeable in that scenario.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: RazorSax on February 28, 2018, 11:22:54 am
I like our chances against a Virginia, Villanova, Xavier, or a Kansas this year.

I would be much more worried about the 2 seeds, Duke, UNC, Michigan State, and Purdue. All four of them are very good teams when on and would be match up nightmares for the Hogs.

Virginia is a match-up nightmare. They'd hold us to 30 points.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: RazorSax on February 28, 2018, 11:22:54 am

I just don't see us being able to win against any of those 4 teams.

None of those 4 teams have much of a weakness. 

sadhogfan

If we were the 4 seed, would that put us on the same side of the bracket as the 1? I would actually love to be lined up with Auburn...I don't think it is in their best interest to keep playing in the SECT. If they want to make an NCAAT run, they need to bow out quickly.

99toLife

Quote from: sadhogfan on February 28, 2018, 04:17:06 pm
If we were the 4 seed, would that put us on the same side of the bracket as the 1? I would actually love to be lined up with Auburn...I don't think it is in their best interest to keep playing in the SECT. If they want to make an NCAAT run, they need to bow out quickly.
That's called a " Kansas " they do that all the time.

razorpimp

Yes I would much rather take a chance with Auburns lack of size and great shooting as compared to playing either Kentucky or Tenn

razobak

Quote from: razobak on February 28, 2018, 02:31:03 pm

2 Tennessee 13-5
4 Arkansas 11-7

1 Auburn 13-5
2 Tennessee 13-5
3 Arkansas 11-7
5 Kentucky 10-8

1 Auburn 13-5
2 Tennessee 13-5
3 UK/UF winner 11-7
If UF beats UK:

1 Auburn 13-5
2 Tenn 13-5
If UK wins:
If UF wins:

Update after last night's games:

If we win vs. Mizzou, we are guaranteed the 4 due to Kentucky's win vs. Ole Miss last night. That scenario would mean that the loser of Kentucky-Florida would be the 5 seed and would play a Thursday game against either the 12 seed or 13 seed. Right now, Ole Miss and Vandy will be the 13 and 14 seeds, in which order will be determined on Saturday when they play each other @ Ole Miss. The 12 seed will be one of LSU (home vs. MS St.), Georgia (@ Tenn), and South Carolina (@ Auburn). Of those three, the one with the best chance to win on Saturday seems to be LSU. If all three teams win (unlikely) they would be in a four-way tie with the loser of Alabama-TA&M, which I am too lazy to work out tiebreaking scenarios for. All that to say, the most likely scenario for the 12-13 game would be Georgia (they would be the 12 due to an 0-2 record vs. SCar) vs. the Vandy-Ole Miss winner. So, to simplify:

We would be the 4 seed. The 5 seed would be the Florida-Kentucky loser. In the most likely scenario, the UF-UK loser would play the winner of Georgia vs. either Vandy or Ole Miss. We would play the winner of that game on Friday in our first game. Most likely, we would get either Florida or Kentucky, which would provide both a chance for revenge and a chance for another Q1 resume-boosting win.

If we lose on Saturday to Mizzou, we are going to get either the 5, 6, or 7 seeds depending on the results of UK-UF and MSU-LSU. The scenarios I outlined above would still apply.
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!