Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's the NCAA Going to Do?

Started by Fan701, February 23, 2018, 10:06:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fan701

This morning's story on Yahoo is no shock, really. It's been obvious for years that there was an "underground economy" working in college basketball where schools like Kentucky and Duke bought the best players.  The NCAA looked the other way.  Basketball is the NCAA's cash cow.  It's no accident that Arkansas never gets a top recruit.  The fix has been in for years.  I assume the NCAA will be forced to take action now, though they are complicit in the corrupt system.

steveaustin69

Doubt much happens aside from slaps on the wrists and vacated wins.

cityhog

Quote from: Fan701 on February 23, 2018, 10:06:54 am
This morning's story on Yahoo is no shock, really. It's been obvious for years that there was an "underground economy" working in college basketball where schools like Kentucky and Duke bought the best players.  The NCAA looked the other way.  Basketball is the NCAA's cash cow.  It's no accident that Arkansas never gets a top recruit.  The fix has been in for years.  I assume the NCAA will be forced to take action now, though they are complicit in the corrupt system.

What's going to happen? UL-Monroe is going to get the death penalty for this.

raz1965

With fear of FBI breathing down there necks the NCAA will react.

hogsanity

They may actually have to do something this time, too much publicity, and when the FBI gets involved it gets the attention of people that may not otherwise care.

But, as usual, the coaches and schools will hide behind " we did not know, we tell our players to stay away from agents ".
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Next1_04

Current Players Listed to have "Met" with money providers:

Kentucky: Kevin Knox

Alabama: Collin Sexton/ Will he play tomorrow with this coming out today?

BoarEd

The Knox thing with Kentucky is probably not gonna amount to anything. The documents alledge that Knox had a meal paid for. If the meal cost under 200 dollars it's not a big deal.

As for the NCAAs role in this, they will have no choice but to come down on these programs. The FBI has called out the NCAA essentially, and the NCAA has vowed to them to clean the mess up. Otherwise the NCAA itself is gonna be in deep stuff. One needs look no farther than the inconsistent punishments doled out by the NCAA to get the feeling they are complicit in all of this. Example? Punishing Penn State for the Sandusky stuff (obviously terrible) when it was a criminal matter entirely, yet letting North Carolina skate on a clear case of academic fraud tied to keeping players eligible. It's because it's one giant racket, and the FBI knows it. The NCAA will be forced to act on all this stuff.

Can't wait for Kentucky to go down over this. They are dirty as the day is long and everyone knows it. The freaking NCAA invented the death penalty specifically for Kentucky basketball.

East TN HAWG

This article ties the players to the agents.  I did not see that it tied the school, agent and players together.  If I'm KY or Bama, I say that we did not know that Bam or Sexton was paid.  That is between the agent and the player.  They vacate the games for using an ineligible player and move on.  I wonder if Bama suspends Sexton now with this information?     

I suspect there is more, but based on the information in the article that's my read.  It seems like there should be a link showing the relationship of the school and sports agent for the NCAA to sanction the school.  I hope happens though. 

BoarEd

"This article ties the players to the agents.  I did not see that it tied the school, agent and players together.  If I'm KY or Bama, I say that we did not know that Bam or Sexton was paid.  That is between the agent and the player.  They vacate the games for using an ineligible player and move on.  I wonder if Bama suspends Sexton now with this information? "

This is what you call giving someone some rope to tie around their own necks. This is just a snippet of all that the FBI has. This article is all the stuff that they don't intend to use in court.

If those universities came out declaring they didn't know, yet it's proven later that they did -- and lied -- what then?     

raz1965

Those document are only part of the evidence that has been released, a teaser maybe. Many phone taps an other evidence yet to be released.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: BoarEd on February 23, 2018, 11:15:20 am

If those universities came out declaring they didn't know, yet it's proven later that they did -- and lied -- what then?     

Its definitely would be a sticky situation if they lied.  Legally if it was to the FBI, and ethically to the NCAA.

Tusks

I think some are being naive.  If a kid is a top 100 to 150 player and other players are getting money then they will get there's.

Kid on AAU team knows that the older kid got $100K from agent or shoe company, you can bet he's going to be looking for his when it's his turn.

This has been going on for years.  Remember the KY team a few years ago what almost went undefeated.

I guarantee 8-10 of those guys were paid one way or another.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

LR_Matt

What an idiot.... it said nothing about the schools paying players.

hogsanity

Quote from: LR_Matt on February 23, 2018, 12:30:59 pm

Nope, but thats what the masses here are running with.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jackrabbit Hog

I think most schools in this day and age are smart enough to not pay players.  The Dukes and Kentuckys will never, ever be shown to have paid a player.  What does happen, I'm sure, is that those schools are complicit, either directly or indirectly, in fostering relationships between agents, or runners for agents, or AAU coaches, and the 4 and 5 star players.  It's the relationships that come into play when you talk about what the schools are doing wrong. 

It's sort of like money laundering.  The more layers you can put between yourself and the bottom level wrongdoer, the more you have plausible deniability. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Fan701

February 23, 2018, 01:06:07 pm #15 Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:45:05 pm by Fan701
Nonetheless, players are being paid.  The article suggests the payments are on behalf of the schools but done indirectly.

jfred59

Wait till the connection pops between the schools and the "agents" then its on

AlmaHog2011

They will just slap the hands of the major programs. If it was us we would be destroyed. I have no confidence in anything real being done to these teams that are cheating and have always cheated.

AlmaHog2011

Are you an idiot? You and a couple on here seem to take the side of what ever is wrong. These coaches are using agents and the players are using agents that these schools are using. Call it what you want but they are paying the players..DA.

steveaustin69

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 23, 2018, 01:38:48 pm
Are you an idiot? You and a couple on here seem to take the side of what ever is wrong. These coaches are using agents and the players are using agents that these schools are using. Call it what you want but they are paying the players..DA.

Maybe they are; maybe they aren't

Doesn't mean jack diddly squat if it can't be proven

hogsanity

Thinking that is happening and proving it are two different things. I can think the guy two houses down is growing pot in his garage, but unless I see it, I have no proof.

PharmacistHog

Let's slack up on calling each other names. Its pretty obvious if you are a jumpball poster you are an idiot and/or moron. No use in the redundancy.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Fan701

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 23, 2018, 02:13:22 pm
Let's slack up on calling each other names. Its pretty obvious if you are a jumpball poster you are an idiot and/or moron. No use in the redundancy.
Maybe you should have a word with LR_Matt, who started the downward spiral from civility.

Kevin

with the news that came out today, did any of it connect a coach to the agent or runner involved?

no, this part of the case, is agent to runner to player & family. no coach involved

now, if the allege payment is over $200, the player should be ineligible, will the coaches sit them. that is where integrity comes in.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Fan701 on February 23, 2018, 02:15:45 pm
Maybe you should have a word with LR_Matt, who started the downward spiral from civility.

I just started with EVERYBODY.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Kevin

ncaa will do nothing. they are working hard right now on a loophole so they will not have to do anything.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 23, 2018, 02:13:22 pm
Literally LOL'd.

'Cuz it's da troof.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Inhogswetrust

Mark Emmert has had plenty of time to lead the NCAA in fixing the problems but hasn't done a damn thing. He should have been ousted a long time ago.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

a0ashle

All the schools involved will be banned from the tournament. Athletes from the school will play under NCAA banner and will be referrred to as "NCAA athletes from Kentucky" for example ;)

hoglady

Quote from: a0ashle on February 23, 2018, 02:57:17 pm
All the schools involved will be banned from the tournament. Athletes from the school will play under NCAA banner and will be referrred to as “NCAA athletes from Kentucky” for example ;)

Pretty clever - that's a good one.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hogball58

It may be the FBI is investigating the NCAA

raz1965

If nothing of substance is done then I would suggest all is fair an Arkansas should join the party with the blue bloods.

King Kong

Right now NCAA won't do much vacate victory's for playing ineligible players

Colleges with Asst coaches charged will probably get scholarships and a one year NCAA ban. But that is a handful of teams.

hogsmash12

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 23, 2018, 01:37:05 pm
They will just slap the hands of the major programs. If it was us we would be destroyed. I have no confidence in anything real being done to these teams that are cheating and have always cheated.

I have not read all the comments yet in this forum but I stopped here.  I agree with this.  As  a life long hog fan I know the Kentucky's and UNC's are dirty and we fight every year with a clean program to stay competitive while these so called blue bloods get away with everything because the ncaa looks the other way.  Even the ESPN mouthpieces for the ncaa are out there saying that the rules need to change to benefit the players.  Why????? Because they want to keep the upper echelon schools on top so they can continue to googooo all over duke and unc every night.

Knot2brite

They will hold their summer meetings and threaten all teams with double super  secret probation and appoint a committee to study the situation and in seven months they will conclude that something happened but they aren't sure but it better not happen again or some heads are going to roll in the SWAC or MEAC
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

FaytownHog

NCAA won't do anything to programs or coaches until something is actually tied to them. So far only Arizona coach has been caught on wiretap offering money for a player. The rest is between agents and players (clue: agents want the players to sign with them after school so they pay up front. Has nothing to do with which school they pick).

We'll see what happens as more evidence comes out but if not tied directly to a school or coach paying, nothing will happen.

hogsanity

Quote from: FaytownHog on February 23, 2018, 09:53:35 pm
NCAA won't do anything to programs or coaches until something is actually tied to them. So far only Arizona coach has been caught on wiretap offering money for a player. The rest is between agents and players (clue: agents want the players to sign with them after school so they pay up front. Has nothing to do with which school they pick).

We'll see what happens as more evidence comes out but if not tied directly to a school or coach paying, nothing will happen.

Exactly, agents want access to players so they can sign them, they really do not care where hey go to school unless it gives them access to that player and other players.

And wth was Miller thinking discussing an actual amount, even though I am sure he had no clue he was being tapped, good lawd how stupid.

Beaverfever

Quote from: FaytownHog on February 23, 2018, 09:53:35 pm

I agree that is where you have to draw the line.  Coaches from universities involved in this process should equal sanctions.  I believe there will be more coaches directly implicated though.  Sean Miller might be one of the only head coaches dumb enough to be caught on tape personally negotiating with agents but I bet some assistants will be on tape.  The FBI got a lot of tape/emails from this Andy Miller guy. 

20gauge

Quote from: Kevin on February 23, 2018, 02:32:41 pm
ncaa will do nothing. they are working hard right now on a loophole so they will not have to do anything.
This right here. Nothing will happen

MountieDawg

Quote from: hogsmash12 on February 23, 2018, 07:17:15 pm
I have not read all the comments yet in this forum but I stopped here.  I agree with this.  As  a life long hog fan I know the Kentucky's and UNC's are dirty and we fight every year with a clean program to stay competitive while these so called blue bloods get away with everything because the ncaa looks the other way.  Even the ESPN mouthpieces for the ncaa are out there saying that the rules need to change to benefit the players.  Why????? Because they want to keep the upper echelon schools on top so they can continue to googooo all over duke and unc every night.

Would you believe the players in the Nolan years didn't get paid?
SEC!

AirWarren

Proud Mike runs a clean, winning program and our name isn't involved in this type of crap.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Kevin on February 23, 2018, 02:32:41 pm
this. they will not kill the goose that laid the golden egg
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Dominicanhog

beat up a few lower level and really throw the book at the big boys.. vacate wins in the 90's,  lose a scholarship every 3rd year, starting in 2029... and if they aren't going to make the tourney this year, they are banned from doing so...

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 24, 2018, 09:56:30 am
beat up a few lower level and really throw the book at the big boys.. vacate wins in the 90's,  lose a scholarship every 3rd year, starting in 2029... and if they aren't going to make the tourney this year, they are banned from doing so...

LOL except you're telling the truth. Nothing much if anything will happen. Hell Ohio State played several ineligible players against us in the Sugar Bowl and nothing was done to them!!

cram224

Jay Bilas laid down the excuse. The runner was falsely billing the agents for fake dinners with players and parents. No wonder the runner is talking. Nobody will believe him, just fake news.

FreeParkingonDickson

The way it stands now, coaches have ZERO incentive to bench players who they knew violated rules.

So Sexton will play, and possibly score 30 against us, and possibly keep us from making the tournament. And if Bama has to vacate the win years from now no one will care.

Instead they need to put future penalties on teams, and then give them some small reward if they addressed it early on (by benching players like Sexton, for example).

Same goes for Louisville. Michigan fans certainly don't care much that they are the de facto '13 champs now. They would much rather see Louisville get a postseason ban for the next 5 years. I know they have new coaches and administration, but future punishment is the only thing that can stop this crap.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: FreeParkingonDickson on February 24, 2018, 10:29:28 am
The way it stands now, coaches have ZERO incentive to bench players who they knew violated rules.

So Sexton will play, and possibly score 30 against us, and possibly keep us from making the tournament. And if Bama has to vacate the win years from now no one will care.

Instead they need to put future penalties on teams, and then give them some small reward if they addressed it early on (by benching players like Sexton, for example).

Same goes for Louisville. Michigan fans certainly don't care much that they are the de facto '13 champs now. They would much rather see Louisville get a postseason ban for the next 5 years. I know they have new coaches and administration, but future punishment is the only thing that can stop this crap.

Please post more!!