Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Talent???

Started by razorpimp, January 12, 2018, 11:54:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorpimp

So I'm not denying this team has some talent but exactly how much does it really have???

Gafford - unbelievable talent, young, raw, limited offensive skills
Barford - great when he wants to, sometimes lazy, thinks he's better than what he is
Macon - great if shot is falling, gets abused defensively on occasion

Then it gets really muddy, where is the talent

I see a mixture of less talented players and aggressive athletes with limited skills

I think the lack of talent is catching up to this team

lstewart

I agree with this since we've hit SEC play. I've been at all the home games, and I thought our talent on the court was as good or better than the teams that we faced before conference play. Now after seeing Tennessee and LSU's guys up close live, I thought they were much more talented as a roster than us. We looked on the same level with Miss State on tv, but Auburn was more athletic. I've been feeling like my old fallback statement for Hog football.... we just don't have SEC level talent. Barford and Macon are that good on offense, but maybe not defense. Gafford is a great prospect, but he is limited on offense, and seems to be getting knocked around by the SEC level big men. We have 3 or 4 other guys who have some ability, but don't always show up, and have limits to their game. Most don't shoot well, and a couple are not great on defense. I just think we are more like football than we realize, and don't have enough talent on the roster to beat a lot of these teams.

roothawg

Doesnt take alot of talent to move without the ball or figure out you need to guard somebody

Sow Lancelot

Athletic basketball talent usually beats athletes playing basketball.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

jchill

Quote from: lstewart on January 12, 2018, 12:37:04 pm
I agree with this since we've hit SEC play. I've been at all the home games, and I thought our talent on the court was as good or better than the teams that we faced before conference play. Now after seeing Tennessee and LSU's guys up close live, I thought they were much more talented as a roster than us. We looked on the same level with Miss State on tv, but Auburn was more athletic. I've been feeling like my old fallback statement for Hog football.... we just don't have SEC level talent. Barford and Macon are that good on offense, but maybe not defense. Gafford is a great prospect, but he is limited on offense, and seems to be getting knocked around by the SEC level big men. We have 3 or 4 other guys who have some ability, but don't always show up, and have limits to their game. Most don't shoot well, and a couple are not great on defense. I just think we are more like football than we realize, and don't have enough talent on the roster to beat a lot of these teams.

We beat Okie, MN, and TN. We have the talent. I think it's between the ears. Reading the headlines too much and thinking they just have to show up to win.

hdturner

The 4th position is lacking on SEC talent. I am sorry but Thomas, Cook, Bailey don't have skill level for SEC. We have missed  evaluation in recruiting on power forward.  We have get some  consistent production out this spot. I just don't see it.

Danny J

Quote from: roothawg on January 12, 2018, 12:45:39 pm
Doesnt take alot of talent to move without the ball or figure out you need to guard somebody
Yep...talent has nothing to do with double teaming and switching all picks 1-5. Our BAD BAD BAD defense is IMO leading to bad offense.

STOP SWITCHING!!! Our bigs have no business guarding guards out high leaving beard and Macon guarding bigs which leads to doubles which leads to open shots.

Bad D being taught.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hdturner on January 12, 2018, 01:53:03 pm
The 4th position is lacking on SEC talent. I am sorry but Thomas, Cook, Bailey don't have skill level for SEC. We have missed  evaluation in recruiting on power forward.  We have get some  consistent production out this spot. I just don't see it.

Somebody can clearly see the problem. 

alohawg

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on January 12, 2018, 12:54:07 pm
Athletic basketball talent usually beats athletes playing basketball.

this
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

rude1

Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. It was oversold during the preseason about how many seniors this team has, yes it's 6 but of those 6 only 2 are finishing their career here after starting it here, and they aren't nearly 2 of your best players, the other 4 are only in their second season on the court for us.

There has been a total break down in bringing in high school players and developing them for 3-4 years. The need for Juco quick fixes was necessary because of a lack of recruiting over the years before. Other than Gafford, what other of the high school prospects on the team have you excited for the coming years? CMA has simply struggled from day one here assembling and building a complete roster.