Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charleston, SC

Started by kibster, January 11, 2018, 08:23:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kibster

We are making our first trip there in a couple months. Things to do and more importantly, places to eat?
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

GolfNut57

what movie is your avatar from?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

kibster

Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Old Tusk

Charleston is a great food town. Husk and F.I.G. are two high in restaurants, but get your reservations now. Magnolia and 82 Queen ( She Crab soup) are also excellent resturants. For seafood, Red's at Shim Creek and The Landing  (shrimp and grits).
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Old Tusk

Favorite pub, The Griffin and Tattooed Mouse ( duck fat fries). Bad resturants don't last long in Chareston.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

UAGolfer1981

Charleston is our favorite getaway spot, been going for years!

Here are some of our favorites:

Charleston
Places to Stay
The Venue Inn www.thevendue.com/
The Mills House www.wyndham.com/hotels/south-carolina/charleston/the-mills-house-wyndham-grand-hotel/hotel-overview
Charleston Place www.belmond.com/charleston-place/
Wentworth Mansion www.wentworthmansion.com/

Places to Eat
Jestine's Kitchen $
Page's Okra Grill $
Brown Dog Deli $
Hominy Grill $
Circa 1886 $$
Poogan's Porch $$
Hall's Chophouse $$
Hank's Seafood $$
Magnolias $$
Husk $$
Slightly North of Broad $$
Hymans Seafood $ (tourist, celebrities visit)

Things to do
Carriage Ride
Shop at Old City Market
Shops on King Street
Patriots Point USS Yorktown, HL Hunley (Civil War Submarine)
Walking Tours (Culinary Tour, Charleston Stroll, ghost tour)
Plantation Tours (Boone Hall, Magnolia, Charleston Tea)
Church Tours
Historic Home Tours (Nathaniel Russell, Aiken-Rhett, Heyward-Washington, Manigault)
The Four Corners of Law
Fort Sumter
Cooking Class at Charleston Cooks
Old Exchange & Provost Dungeon
Rainbow Row
Thriller Speed Boat Tour Charleston Harbor

kibster

We are actually here right now and loving it. This is day three.

If anyone is interested in my culinary adventures -

https://instagram.com/p/BgCAfktAtPe/

That is the most recent post, but there are others as well.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: UAGolfer1981 on March 06, 2018, 10:08:45 pm
Charleston is our favorite getaway spot, been going for years!

Here are some of our favorites:

Charleston
Places to Stay
The Venue Inn www.thevendue.com/
The Mills House www.wyndham.com/hotels/south-carolina/charleston/the-mills-house-wyndham-grand-hotel/hotel-overview
Charleston Place www.belmond.com/charleston-place/
Wentworth Mansion www.wentworthmansion.com/

Places to Eat
Jestine's Kitchen $
Page's Okra Grill $
Brown Dog Deli $
Hominy Grill $
Circa 1886 $$
Poogan's Porch $$
Hall's Chophouse $$
Hank's Seafood $$
Magnolias $$
Husk $$
Slightly North of Broad $$
Hymans Seafood $ (tourist, celebrities visit)

Things to do
Carriage Ride
Shop at Old City Market
Shops on King Street
Patriots Point USS Yorktown, HL Hunley (Civil War Submarine)
Walking Tours (Culinary Tour, Charleston Stroll, ghost tour)
Plantation Tours (Boone Hall, Magnolia, Charleston Tea)
Church Tours
Historic Home Tours (Nathaniel Russell, Aiken-Rhett, Heyward-Washington, Manigault)
The Four Corners of Law
Fort Sumter
Cooking Class at Charleston Cooks
Old Exchange & Provost Dungeon
Rainbow Row
Thriller Speed Boat Tour Charleston Harbor
I LOVE Charleston.  I took my daughters one summer when it was a blistering 105 degrees.  They wanted to do the ghost tour.  I thought my boyfriend was exaggerating about how miserable he was.  In truth he had thrown an embolism. We did not find until we drove home to LR.  Yes, drove. 
He's still alive but it added 10 years to my life.

Food is TREMENDOUS! 

And, if you have time I would highly recommend vacationing in Kiawah Island with a side trip to Charleston.  Honestly, I can't wait to go back!   

Inhogswetrust

Thanks for all the info. We're headed to Charleston SC next week!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

kibster

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 11, 2018, 02:43:34 pm
Thanks for all the info. We're headed to Charleston SC next week!

Here was a blog post I wrote about the trip:

http://themightyrib.com/food-trip-charleston/

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

kibster

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kibster on June 13, 2018, 04:21:46 pm
Lol, why?

Cause then I'd find out just how bad my cooking really is. 
Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

yraciv

Going in September for a wedding to Charleston & Kiawah, and am really excited. It was a family summer vacation spot for years, but haven't been since I was a teenager. If you like minor league baseball the RiverDogs are a fun time, assuming the weather is great!  That and some of the tours were my fondest memories.

Inhogswetrust

June 20, 2018, 08:55:23 pm #15 Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:30:38 am by Inhogswetrust
Here now. Staying in Mt Pleasant. Nice apartment just over the bridge in the Shem Creek Area. Right around the corner from the USS Yorktown carrier. Wife's convention is at the Wild Dunes Resort in Isle of Palms. Nice place but not very friendly there. Everywhere else has been though. The wife had lived in North Carolina before and wanted Calabash shrimp. Usually not the style this far south but a search found it at Poogan's Porch. She ordered it and I ordered Shrimp and Grits. Both were good. With dessert the bill came to $68. The only issue we had was we wanted to bring and drink our own bottle of wine to celebrate selling our house back home. The corkage would have been $25. I'm a stickler for not paying that much for corkage unless it's a really expensive bottle so we didn't have wine. Before leaving Friday we plan to eat at Shem Creek Bar and Grill. It's been getting good reviews online and I've asked a couple of locals and they have highly recommended it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HogPharmer on June 15, 2018, 10:19:06 am
His food sucks....

Yes it does.  Almost as hard as the young pharmacist that runs my other store. 
Millennials suck...

kibster

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 21, 2018, 08:52:47 am
Yes it does.  Almost as hard as the young pharmacist that runs my other store. 

Shots fired!

hog.goblin

Spent Friday in Charleston.  Great food and history.  Would love to spend more time there.