Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This year could shape up to be like 1998.

Started by JIHawg, January 11, 2018, 06:40:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

An energetic and young new coach takes over a team with some talent that was essentially lost by the previous coach, or at least beat down emotionally.

That 98 team was a trip away from playing for a national championship.

Judging from the comments, I think these coaches are pleasantly surprised by the level of talent and playing time left by the previous staff.

LZH

We did lose to MSU the next week, but yeah I hope we can have a similar turnaround.

JIHawg

Quote from: LZH on January 11, 2018, 06:44:26 pm
We did lose to MSU the next week, but yeah I hope we can have a similar turnaround.

Nutt was such an emotional coach that he just couldn't get over the loss to Tennessee.  Had we won there, we would have beaten Ms State like a yard dog.

Al Boarland

Quote from: JIHawg on January 11, 2018, 06:40:30 pm
An energetic and young new coach takes over a team with some talent that was essentially lost by the previous coach, or at least beat down emotionally.

Judging from the comments, I think these coaches are pleasantly surprised by the level of talent and playing time left by the previous staff.

Now is the time to talk up the roster.

LZH

Quote from: JIHawg on January 11, 2018, 06:50:55 pm
Nutt was such an emotional coach that he just couldn't get over the loss to Tennessee.  Had we won there, we would have beat Ms State like a yard dog.

Agreed

26.2Hog

I think Danny Ford left Nutt a lot more talent than Morris has inherited from Bielema. 

That said, Bielema under achieved with the talent he had, and I have no doubt the Chad will get much better results from that talent than Bielema ever would.

Also, the SEC west is much stronger today than in '98.

jgphillips3

I think the comparison has validity.  I've made a similar observation.  This team has a lot of talent.  It has some glaring holes, or at least lack of talented depth, at some positions but that same hunger to win and renewed energy we saw in 1998 will hopefully be present 20 years later.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 11, 2018, 07:06:19 pm
I think Danny Ford left Nutt a lot more talent than Morris has inherited from Bielema. 

That said, Bielema under achieved with the talent he had, and I have no doubt the Chad will get much better results from that talent than Bielema ever would.

naw, we have more talent now. the SEC wasnt all that back then.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

TeufelHog

Great to have such high hopes, but overcoming a completely new coaching staff and new schemes in all 3 phases of the game will be extremely hard to overcome.  I'm still predicting an initial 6-6 season for the the new staff and team.  Anything better is pure gravy!

Hogindasticks

I predict it won't be worse than last year...lol ::hornsdown::

jkstock04

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 11, 2018, 07:34:42 pm
I think the comparison has validity.  I've made a similar observation.  This team has a lot of talent.  It has some glaring holes, or at least lack of talented depth, at some positions but that same hunger to win and renewed energy we saw in 1998 will hopefully be present 20 years later.
To say this team has a "lot of talent" especially in comparison to the rest of our conference, one would have to completely ignore last season.

We went 9-3 that year (1998)...6-2 in conference. I would lay serious $$$ that we don't hit 6 conference wins this next season. 

Hope you are right! But I'm having a tough time seeing it. These kids have to go through a major culture change, I don't see an easy transition coming.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Sed76

If we walk over Alabama like we did in 1998 the college football world would melt down...only to see Bama still get into the playoffs.

carolinahogger

We are halfway there, because we just had another 1997.

Pig Worshipper

No one will accuse me of being a fan of Chad Morris but I do agree with this post. We will do better than expected his first year and things will be better, including our overall record.

LZH

I know a lot is made over how much talent Ford left Nutt, but I only somewhat agree with that. In Ford's last year we just didn't look competitive, athletically, more often than not. I will say it was obvious that he had pretty much lost the team, and Nutt came in and re-energized them. But I don't know if they were any more talented than most other 4-7 teams.

AirWarren

Quote from: JIHawg on January 11, 2018, 06:40:30 pm

Ice cold koolaid being served early.

RockyMtnHog

Folks, I would not get too hyped up and expect a whole lot this next season.  This team will be pushed hard on offense and the break-neck pace will be hard to get use to the first year.  I think that the offense and the defense will be better but it may be mid-season before we see it start paying off.  By the 9th to 12th game, we may be pretty damn good.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Sed76 on January 11, 2018, 08:13:07 pm
If we walk over Alabama like we did in 1998 the college football world would melt down...only to see Bama still get into the playoffs.

Don't think Dubose will unseat Saban before next season.

jgphillips3

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 11, 2018, 08:04:10 pm
To say this team has a "lot of talent" especially in comparison to the rest of our conference, one would have to completely ignore last season.

We went 9-3 that year (1998)...6-2 in conference. I would lay serious $$$ that we don't hit 6 conference wins this next season. 

Hope you are right! But I'm having a tough time seeing it. These kids have to go through a major culture change, I don't see an easy transition coming.

Objectively, we have had 5 straight recruiting classes in the mid 20's.  By definition, we have top 25 talent.  I've also seen, but not sure where, that we have more 4 stars on the team than all but 5 other teams in the conference right now.  Of course Bama has as many 5 stars as we do 4 stars but that's just Bama.  Of course, the rest of the conference has talent and that is the reason this team could resemble 1998 and still finish 7-5 or maybe 8-4 but that is okay after what we've been through as a starting point.

lakecityhog

The major difference that I see is that Ford was a true taskmaster followed by Nutt, the perfect "player's coach" and what we have is almost exactly opposite. It was easy for Ford's players to accept what Houston was selling.

Now these kids are going to get down to finding out what work really is and how to live up to expectations. Coming in every day and having someone expect more than the day before!

BUT, if they will truly buy in and put in the work, yeah we have the talent to really surprise some folks!

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 11, 2018, 09:23:33 pm
The major difference that I see is that Ford was a true taskmaster followed by Nutt, the perfect "player's coach" and what we have is almost exactly opposite. It was easy for Ford's players to accept what Houston was selling.

Now these kids are going to get down to finding out what work really is and how to live up to expectations. Coming in every day and having someone expect more than the day before!

BUT, if they will truly buy in and put in the work, yeah we have the talent to really surprise some folks!

Yes, this is going to be a culture shock for the players in Spring Practice.  It will separate the men from the boys.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Hoggish1

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 11, 2018, 07:43:33 pm
naw, we have more talent now. the SEC wasnt all that back then.

Actually, the SEC West sucked back then.  All the power was in the East and concentrated, there, in two teams.

redeye

This thought occurred to me as well, but the difference now is that the SEC-W is far better.  We may have more talent than we had in '98, but the difference is probably greater for everyone else.  I won't mind if I'm wrong, though...  ;)

Hawgphat

IMHO, little blame can realistically be attached to CCM and the new staff for lackluster results in this first year of "the new order".

The available players on hand will have to adapt to new schemes, new coaching personnel and directives, and different criteria.  That process will not be accomplished in a single Spring, a single month or a single season.

I have no idea what to expect for the 2018 season; but I will surely be a highly-energized Hogs spectator.

bphi11ips

Quote from: redeye on January 11, 2018, 09:43:20 pm
This thought occurred to me as well, but the difference now is that the SEC-W is far better.  We may have more talent than we had in '98, but the difference is probably greater for everyone else.  I won't mind if I'm wrong, though...  ;)

Arkansas is going to be a good football team in 2018. A lot of talent and experience returns. But we started 8-0 in 1998. That won't happen this year because we travel to Auburn and then get A&M and Bama. We may beat A&M, but the best we can hope for after Bama is 4-2. The last six games are all winnable, and we should win at least 3 of those. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

rtr

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on January 11, 2018, 08:57:13 pm
Folks, I would not get too hyped up and expect a whole lot this next season.  This team will be pushed hard on offense and the break-neck pace will be hard to get use to the first year.  I think that the offense and the defense will be better but it may be mid-season before we see it start paying off.  By the 9th to 12th game, we may be pretty damn good.
I will take that scenario right now.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

little pigee

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 11, 2018, 08:04:10 pm

What's your net worth?  Let's cut for it.:)
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

6-6 will be a decent year.  Above that, its gravy.  If the Kids align early on and they could, this could be a special year for Arkansas.  A special year considering all the facts would be ending up 8-5.  I really doubt that will happen.

W have just witnessed 2 bad years for the overall SEC in football and the conference was still a factor in the playoffs both seasons.  Arkansas, as did many other SEC teams had the opportunity to move up into the top one third of the conference but nearly everyone failed bigtime. The SEC conference ended up being 2 great teams, 1 good team and 2 other sort of OK teams, then basically nothing from there.  I expect the overall conference to be better in 2018 than the past 2 years and it will be more difficult to compete than the past 2 years. 

We have decent star power for Arkansas on hand.  Can the players be utilized, who knows.  The reason we appear to need depth at most positions is because there wasn't any effort being put forth to develop depth. 

think about this:  We didn't really try to develop a Special Team.  WE didn't have a well rounded 2nd team QB, one who anyone felt could come in and have very little drop off.  We didn't have a backup o-line or d-line.  Our RBs were pretty decent from 1 though 3.  WRs were never settled on to where we had an absolute 2 or 3 that could be depended on.  Our TE situation seemed to be loaded but what did we get from that?  We didn't have a proven kicker from day 1 of the season.  We didn't look good, appear in to the game most of the time, seem to have a plan, know our players well enough to know even which ones to play.  We just didn't at nearly every position and under nearly every situation.  We were a failure everywhere.  Its just the truth.  When you win 4 games and 2 of those were by 1 point, you didn't have a team, you had luck to even get there.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: LZH on January 11, 2018, 06:44:26 pm

Thanks to lil Bo Peep for that loss.

PRJ

redeye

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 11, 2018, 10:04:06 pm
Arkansas is going to be a good football team in 2018. A lot of talent and experience returns. But we started 8-0 in 1998. That won't happen this year because we travel to Auburn and then get A&M and Bama. We may beat A&M, but the best we can hope for after Bama is 4-2. The last six games are all winnable, and we should win at least 3 of those.

We're also installing very different systems on both sides, so I, too, would be highly surprised if we started the year 8-0.  As many have noted, getting bowl eligible would show good progress, although I wouldn't be shocked if we won a game or two extra.  I don't mean to compare here, but Petrino went 5-7 in his first year, while Bielema went 3-9, and I think Morris could better those.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: redeye on January 11, 2018, 10:27:48 pm
We're also installing very different systems on both sides, so I, too, would be highly surprised if we started the year 8-0.  As many have noted, getting bowl eligible would show good progress, although I wouldn't be shocked if we won a game or two extra.  I don't mean to compare here, but Petrino went 5-7 in his first year, while Bielema went 3-9, and I think Morris could better those.

They didn't recruit like this.

Flrazrback

We have a very favorable schedule for 2018.

pigbacon

Nutt was such an emotional coach that he just couldn't get over the loss to Tennessee.  Had we won there, we would have beaten Ms State like a yard dog.

Also, don't forget. Kicker suspended. Narrow loss with a missed field goal, IIRC.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/arkansas-kicker-suspended-for-dwi/

Was told by a former player that Nutt put the decision to the team captains. Captains voted to play him, but when loading the up to leave no kicker. Not sure if true.

Seems like charges were dropped. Anywho...carry on.

JIHawg

I don't expect to start out 8-0 in today's SEC west, but this year may be easier due to adding Vandy and coaching turnovers.

Give Bama and Auburn wins.  We play four non-conference games that are capable of being won.  Missouri, LSU,  and Ole Ms are in turmoil.  That's three possible victories. 

Now, the coach turnover games-Ms. State, TAM,  we hopefully can a victory out of these two games.

If we get the culture change, and all the coaches get along, and don't get killed with injuries, I can see 6-9 games possible wins.

bphi11ips

Quote from: JIHawg on January 11, 2018, 11:17:18 pm
I don't expect to start out 8-0 in today's SEC west, but this year may be easier due to adding Vandy and coaching turnovers.

Give Bama and Auburn wins.  We play four non-conference games that are capable of being won.  Missouri, LSU,  and Ole Ms are in turmoil.  That's three possible victories. 

Now, the coach turnover games-Ms. State, TAM,  we hopefully can a victory out of these two games.

If we get the culture change, and all the coaches get along, and don't get killed with injuries, I can see 6-9 games possible wins.

Pretty much agree. 

I see six games we should win - 4 OOCs + Ole Miss and Vandy, 2 we have a real shot - A&M and Mississippi State, 1 we could win - Missouri, 1 we probably won't win - LSU, and two we have no chance to win - Auburn and Bama.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

urkillnmesmalls

My biggest fear is speed.  Unless guys weren't running full tilt, then it still looks like we're slow.  Maybe Morris can scheme around that weakness, and also find a few guys that he can get in space to make some big plays, but I just keep thinking back to our alleged "fastest" players getting run down from behind in short order.  I hope I'm wrong, and there's speed that wasn't on the field, and we'll look like a newly energized team and shock some people. 

Admittedly, I am nervous with Chavis saying they are going to  be an aggressive defense, and "affect the QB."  The last time I remember that being harped on was in the Sugar Bowl against OSU when we were dead set on "rattling" Pryor, and he torched us for 21 points before they realized that we couldn't rattle him.  I have SERIOUS doubts that we have the secondary depth and talent to play the style he wants to play. 

On the flip side...I find it hard to believe it could be any worse than last season, and with the schedule...we should win 6 games, and have a shot at 7 or 8, if we're better than I think.   :D
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 11, 2018, 07:06:19 pm

Especially at WR and QB. On defense Zac Painter was unsung at Arkansas after having so much promise in High School. When Burns created that hybrid DB/LB "Bandit" position it allowed his speed to shine, and he wrecked some folks. Don't forget Kenoy Kennedy either. Damn what a roster...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

SooieGeneris

I agree with the premise. I don't think matching the number of wins that year is realistic, or at least the deep run into the season undefeated. I don't think anyone expects that including the OP.

Nutt caught lightning in a bottle, coming in at a time when 'Bama, LSU and Auburn were all down. OM was so-so, so MSU was really the main competition for the West that year. He rode a wave coming in with a much underrated team that had been under performing, just as he did at OM a decade later.

Saban was still at Michigan State, 'Bama had a secretary boinking Bozo and I guess it was DiNardo at LSU. More than 6 wins is possible depending on how well Kelley and the O line improve and adapt to the new offense.

The defense will have to get a stop now and then unlike the last 2 years. At least we have a proven kicker and kickoff returner. If Chavis can get after the QB like he wants to, the secondary has a chance to be the best in awhile due to improved speed and talent. We're very solid at LB, we just need more depth there.

The biggest question mark is the DEs. We haven't gotten much pressure there since Flowers left. Wise got some but wasn't consistent due to injuries.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

SooieGeneris

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 11, 2018, 11:51:08 pm
My biggest fear is speed.  Unless guys weren't running full tilt, then it still looks like we're slow.  Maybe Morris can scheme around that weakness, and also find a few guys that he can get in space to make some big plays, but I just keep thinking back to our alleged "fastest" players getting run down from behind in short order.  I hope I'm wrong, and there's speed that wasn't on the field, and we'll look like a newly energized team and shock some people. 

Admittedly, I am nervous with Chavis saying they are going to  be an aggressive defense, and "affect the QB."  The last time I remember that being harped on was in the Sugar Bowl against OSU when we were dead set on "rattling" Pryor, and he torched us for 21 points before they realized that we couldn't rattle him.  I have SERIOUS doubts that we have the secondary depth and talent to play the style he wants to play. 

On the flip side...I find it hard to believe it could be any worse than last season, and with the schedule...we should win 6 games, and have a shot at 7 or 8, if we're better than I think.   :D

Players look slow when they play tentatively. Calloway, Montaric Brown and others in the secondary are NOT slow. Neither are the top 2 LBs. Bishop is FAST, look for him to play right away. Ramirez is not slow, he just goes for the big hit at times instead of wrapping up. He got a lot better in 2017.

Curl is not slow either. The kid was targeted constantly due to being a freshman with a SR on the other side. He made a good play late in one game only to draw a bogus flag. It's hard to play with confidence as a FR getting a baptism by fire.

Agim and Guidry are not slow either. For whatever reason, they have not put it all together yet. Both came on late in the season
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: TeufelHog on January 11, 2018, 07:45:36 pm
Great to have such high hopes, but overcoming a completely new coaching staff and new schemes in all 3 phases of the game will be extremely hard to overcome.  I'm still predicting an initial 6-6 season for the the new staff and team.  Anything better is pure gravy!

I'm with ya on that, but if they start off hot I think it could be more. I expect them to play better as the season progresses...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jgphillips3

It actually seems that both those hyping up the team and those suggesting we dampen expectations actually still expect similar records with maybe a one game swing.  Most optimists, myself included see this as a 7 win team, primarily due to weak schedule, not excellence on our part. 

I really think the optimists are feeling 7 is the base line but we might could pull 8 and the pessimists are thinking we could wind up winning 7, but we might get stumble to 6.  There are always the lunatics who think we'll go 3-9 or 10-2 but I really believe 80% or more of us feel that 7 wins is kind of the baseline or Median for this year and really it's just a one game deviation from that either way. 

Al Boarland

A lot of really good QB play coming back. Best it has been in a long time in this conference.

hogcards

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on January 11, 2018, 08:16:33 pm
No one will accuse me of being a fan of Chad Morris but I do agree with this post. We will do better than expected his first year and things will be better, including our overall record.

I agree, but I like Morris.  I think he's a good fit.  I think he could and should match Nutt.

Btw, it's finally good to see people are allowed to state the fact that Nutt was a better coach than Bielema.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

hogfanforever

Quote from: 12247 on January 11, 2018, 10:19:34 pm
6-6 will be a decent year.  Above that, its gravy.  If the Kids align early on and they could, this could be a special year for Arkansas.  A special year considering all the facts would be ending up 8-5.  I really doubt that will happen.

W have just witnessed 2 bad years for the overall SEC in football and the conference was still a factor in the playoffs both seasons.  Arkansas, as did many other SEC teams had the opportunity to move up into the top one third of the conference but nearly everyone failed bigtime. The SEC conference ended up being 2 great teams, 1 good team and 2 other sort of OK teams, then basically nothing from there.  I expect the overall conference to be better in 2018 than the past 2 years and it will be more difficult to compete than the past 2 years. 

We have decent star power for Arkansas on hand.  Can the players be utilized, who knows.  The reason we appear to need depth at most positions is because there wasn't any effort being put forth to develop depth. 

think about this:  We didn't really try to develop a Special Team.  WE didn't have a well rounded 2nd team QB, one who anyone felt could come in and have very little drop off.  We didn't have a backup o-line or d-line.  Our RBs were pretty decent from 1 though 3.  WRs were never settled on to where we had an absolute 2 or 3 that could be depended on.  Our TE situation seemed to be loaded but what did we get from that?  We didn't have a proven kicker from day 1 of the season.  We didn't look good, appear in to the game most of the time, seem to have a plan, know our players well enough to know even which ones to play.  We just didn't at nearly every position and under nearly every situation.  We were a failure everywhere.  Its just the truth.  When you win 4 games and 2 of those were by 1 point, you didn't have a team, you had luck to even get there.
Proven once again, hindsight is 20/20
"One of these days its gonna get right and when it does I AM GOING to be scary for a lot of people"

Hogarusa

'98 results
Bama W 42-6
LSU W 41-14
Ole Miss W 34-0
Auburn W 24-21

No Mizzou or A&M. '98 isnt happening. 5-7
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hogs7199

That and we were without our kicker.  Which turned out to be huge.  But, we were emotionally drained that game.  Oh, the field goal they kicked wasn't good...

AugustaHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 11, 2018, 06:51:37 pm
Now is the time to talk up the roster.
I think that can go either way.  If you come in and realize that the talent level is awful and that it's going to take 3 years to get it back to competitive, it would be wise to temper expectations.  I don't think the new staff have ooohed and ahhhed over what they have coming back, but there was acknowledgment, on the offensive side at least, that there was some ability coming back at RB, TE, and WR.  They have to get these guys in the shape they need them to be, but I think we have the potential to surprise some folks with the offense if they get the QB spot figured out.  Defensively, we've been such a mess for the last 3 years that I just truly don't know what to expect.  Even improvement to a middle of the road defense would be huge. 

rzrbaxfan

Half of the SEC West also looked like this in 1998:

SEC                   Overall   
Alabama          4   –   4                   7   –   5   
LSU                2   –   6                   4   –   7   
Auburn            1   –   7                   3   –   8   

That's not what CCM is walking into this year. I agree that the cupboard is not bare, but to think that we are ripe for a 6-2 SEC record is a bit of a stretch for me. 

NoogaHog

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 12, 2018, 07:35:46 am
'98 results
Bama W 42-6
LSU W 41-14
Ole Miss W 34-0
Auburn W 24-21

No Mizzou or A&M. '98 isnt happening. 5-7

Wow! That defense, though! I'll have some of that Code Red, please.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"