Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are 2 things you wish you could change regarding Razorback Football?

Started by Sweet Feet, January 11, 2018, 04:13:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

26.2Hog

Quote from: oldhawg on January 11, 2018, 06:07:47 pm
If I am not mistaken, offensive coordinator Don Breaux called the third down pass play that was intercepted in the end zone.

You are not mistaken.  Don Breaux was a brilliant OC and the call for that play was perfect. Our guy was wide open in the end zone,  But Montgomery, uncharacteristically,  threw the ball 5 yards behind the receiver for an interception.

bennyl08

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 11, 2018, 08:54:41 pm
I don't think it has anything to do with that. I'm pointing more so in the direction of culture and demographics. I think it would be easier to recruit to Little Rock vs Fayetteville. Silly to talk about because this is fantasy land stuff that would never happen...but this is a 'what if' thread after all.

Ah, I hear what you are saying. I think there is something special about being in a college town that is appealing. More affordable, tighter knit community, you can walk to a bar rather than have to drive 5 miles from you house to downtown. But then I'm also no longer an 18 year and I never was athletic enough to play collegiate sports save for disc golf. If the UofA was in LR, I probably would have gone out of state because I wanted to get out and explore. NWA is very different from central arkansas and it was easy to get full paid there along with really good STEM academics. If the UA was in central arkansas, the only other two schools I considered were Maryland and UCF, both with very good physics programs, but at the end of the day, I never applied to anywhere but Fayetteville.

Definitely a more diverse population in LR than NWA. Historically a lot easier to get to and from, though with the 540, NWA is much easier to get to. Definitely a good amount of merit to that argument.

Of course, if we leave the what if, the universities were pretty much all done as land grants to begin with which is a large reason why almost none of the major universities in the US are in major cities.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

oldbooniehog

1) Have Hogs hold on 4th down late in the game against Texas in 1969.

2) Have Reggie fish not try to field a punt inside his own 5 yard line against Florida in SEC Title game.

Change those 2 plays, and Hog football history is completely different.

Steef

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 11, 2018, 09:05:21 pm
You are not mistaken.  Don Breaux was a brilliant OC and the call for that play was perfect. Our guy was wide open in the end zone,  But Montgomery, uncharacteristically,  threw the ball 5 yards behind the receiver for an interception.

"Three things can happen when you throw a forward pass. And two of them are bad."

Frank Broyles

bphi11ips

Quote from: Steef on January 11, 2018, 10:05:54 pm
"Three things can happen when you throw a forward pass. And two of them are bad."

Frank Broyles

I think Frank was quoting Darrel Royal.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 11, 2018, 05:52:48 pm
I'm not a smart guy but if this is some form of humor I'm not understanding, can someone please dumb it down for me?

Iron plays a character that pretends to still be stuck in 1859, or he actually is, either way he thinks NWA is not really Arkansas, meanwhile the rest of wish most of eastern Ar was in Mississippi.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2018, 10:14:41 pm
Iron plays a character that pretends to still be stuck in 1859, or he actually is, either way he thinks NWA is not really Arkansas, meanwhile the rest of wish most of eastern Ar was in Mississippi.

What a crappy thing to say. Speak for yourself.

Oklahawg

What if the WPA built a dumpy football stadium in El Dorado, Forrest City, Pine Bluff, or Ft. Smith? Would we have the GSD today?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

My two:

Atwater doesn't drop that INT vs Miami in the rematch.
The SMU ref screw job doesn't happen.

Would those have altered the career paths of Holtz and Hatfield?

Nutt had both the Stoerner fumble and the Fish fumble (odd - his two are fumbles).
Bielema had the late in the game 3rd down wheel route pass from Brandon Allen to Jonathan Williams that didn't have enough "oomph" or it could have been a TD. Same game we lost a TD that was called a fumble into the EZ, not to mention a muffed PAT and missed FG. If we beat Bama that year....

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

oldhawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 11, 2018, 11:03:23 pm
What if the WPA built a dumpy football stadium in El Dorado, Forrest City, Pine Bluff, or Ft. Smith? Would we have the GSD today?

When War Memorial Stadium was built, not sure it was considered a "dumpy" stadium.  How did it compare to Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville at the time ---- perhaps a bit palatial.

bphi11ips

If there was any GSD element in this thread I missed it. 

bphi11ips

Trying to figure out why you injected this here.  If you're referring to WMS, it wasn't a WPA project. The WPA was part of Depression relief and was dissolved in 1943.  We have some great structures in Arkansas like the cabins at White Rock because of it.  Construction on WMS began in 1947 and was completed in 1948.

Quigley Stadium was built by the WPA.  It hosted Razorbacks games between 1935 and 1947 and is still Little Rock Central's home field. 

secfan30

Quote from: Sweet Feet on January 11, 2018, 04:13:42 pm
If you could go back in time, what are 2 thing that you would change or prevent happening regarding razorback football?

1969 Texas game and Hire Jimmy Johnson one of the times he wanted the job.

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 11, 2018, 08:54:41 pm
I don't think it has anything to do with that. I'm pointing more so in the direction of culture and demographics. I think it would be easier to recruit to Little Rock vs Fayetteville. Silly to talk about because this is fantasy land stuff that would never happen...but this is a 'what if' thread after all.
Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2018, 08:44:51 pm
Eh, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, Mizzou, OM, MSU, Tenner, UGA, and UF are all not in any of the major cities of their states.

Ironically, Vandy and Kentucky are the only two SEC teams that are.

When I moved to Mississippi I studied the history of Aberdeen. It has approximately 4k people and is the Federal seat of Mississippi meaning that it has the federal district court and federal bankruptcy courts. In the early 1800's they were bigger than Columbus or Tupelo, which are both a little bigger than Starkville today. During the Civil war they turned down the Rail Road because they didn't want the noise in their town, and when Mississippi received their university land grants, in two parcels,  Aberdeen asked that they locate the school down in Starkville where the other 1/2 of the land was. Had they not made those two crucial errors it would probably be close to the size of Jackson. It also is in the far corner of the state. I believe the land grants given for the land grant universities were all located in the remote corners, and that's why none of those schools are located near their capitols... Just some B.S. knowledge that won't do anything but maybe win a trivia contest...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Steef

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 11, 2018, 10:07:30 pm
I think Frank was quoting Darrel Royal.

Okay.

Point is, Frank said it. And still passed instead of kicked.

1highhog

My two things, (1) I wish that when Columbus "discovered" America, he would have been greeted by a well armed force of gun toting Indians who would have swiftly sent his ass back to Europe.   (2) When the next wave of European countries started sending refugees to the New World, I wished the oposite happened as far as diseases go, instead of the Europeans bringing diseases that wiped out the Indians, I wished the Indians gave them diseases that wiped their assessment out.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogcards

Quote from: LZH on January 11, 2018, 06:41:42 pm
I remember reading that Texas beat Notre Dame by a TD or so in the Cotton Bowl. I really believe if we win another NC right there that we have a different program today.

+1000

We become "Oklahoma ".
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on January 11, 2018, 05:30:33 pm
1.  Put the campus in Arkansas

2.  Build a real stadium on said campus

It IS in Arkansas. Here's a shocker for you.............Arkansas is biggest than your yard.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 11, 2018, 11:01:22 pm
What a crappy thing to say. Speak for yourself.

It was crappy. But the delta of Arkansas is more like Mississippi geographically, economy based historically and culturally than it is the rest of Arkansas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

casken

"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: oldhawg on January 11, 2018, 11:06:39 pm
When War Memorial Stadium was built, not sure it was considered a "dumpy" stadium.  How did it compare to Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville at the time ---- perhaps a bit palatial.

Any new stadium is nice. WMS was at the time. It did not however have the same press box and it didn't have the end zones enclosed. But a lot of stadiums back then didn't.

HoggyCat

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 11, 2018, 08:37:17 pm
I thought Hatfield was hired over JJ.  Johnson was at Ok st at the time and wanted the Hog job but we chose Hatfield instead. 

I'll stick with stuff I witnessed or remember well. 

1.  The horrible pass interference call against Nathan Jones at SMU in 82 that cost us the game and probably the SWC championship.
2.  The Fish fumble

Broyles could've made JJ the HC when he hired Holtz. That's the point in time I was thinking of. JJ was his DC.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 12, 2018, 06:52:34 am
It was crappy. But the delta of Arkansas is more like Mississippi geographically, economy based historically and culturally than it is the rest of Arkansas.

So what?  IronHog's comment was equally crappy.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 11, 2018, 11:23:41 pm
Trying to figure out why you injected this here.  If you're referring to WMS, it wasn't a WPA project. The WPA was part of Depression relief and was dissolved in 1943.  We have some great structures in Arkansas like the cabins at White Rock because of it.  Construction on WMS began in 1947 and was completed in 1948.

Quigley Stadium was built by the WPA.  It hosted Razorbacks games between 1935 and 1947 and is still Little Rock Central's home field. 

Not trying to argue but I think White Rock cabins and recreation area were built by the CCC. The CCC and WPA were both part of Roosevelt's New Deal yet had separate goals. They did both however build stuff. WPA was to put one unemployed "bread winner" from each family to work. The CCC was to put young men to work. I don't know of any cabins, roads and recreational places in Arkansas built by the WPA but maybe there are some. Some were built by the CCC. Some of the infrastructure of some our state parks were built by the CCC. Devils Den, Petit Jean, Mt. Magazine, Mt Nebo for example all have some CCC structures and roads. A lot of the campgrounds in the national forests were also.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 12, 2018, 07:06:23 am
So what?  IronHog's comment was equally crappy.

Yes they were. My point is that some people think that Arkansas is a homogenized or monistic state and nothing can be farther from the truth. It has always been very diverse culturally, geographically and racially including immigrants from almost everywhere.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 12, 2018, 06:52:34 am

The delta of Arkansas is Arkansas to the people born and raised here. We damn sure aren't Mississippi. Arkansas is a whole made up of different regions. I appreciate the whole state, not just a preferred region. Saying the delta is more like Mississippi than Arkansas is just as stupid as saying northwest Arkansas is the midwest. Arkansas is Arkansas.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 12, 2018, 07:16:48 am

The delta of Arkansas is Arkansas to the people born and raised here. We damn sure aren't Mississippi. Arkansas is a whole made up of different regions. I appreciate the whole state, not just a preferred region. Saying the delta is more like Mississippi than Arkansas is just as stupid as saying northwest Arkansas is the midwest. Arkansas is Arkansas.

I get your point. But geographically, culturally and economically from a historical stand point it is more "like" Mississippi. A lot of the delta was and still is row crop based farming just like the delta of Mississippi and that is great. Mississippi has much less diversity of culture historically than Arkansas. It does not have the diverse geography of Arkansas.The only thing close to diversity in Mississippi of geography is the small part of it close to the coast. You are correct Arkansas has more distinct regions.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 12, 2018, 07:08:03 am
Not trying to argue but I think White Rock cabins and recreation area were built by the CCC. The CCC and WPA were both part of Roosevelt's New Deal yet had separate goals. They did both however build stuff. WPA was to put one unemployed "bread winner" from each family to work. The CCC was to put young men to work. I don't know of any cabins, roads and recreational places in Arkansas built by the WPA but maybe there are some. Some were built by the CCC. Some of the infrastructure of some our state parks were built by the CCC. Devils Den, Petit Jean, Mt. Magazine, Mt Nebo for example all have some CCC structures and roads. A lot of the campgrounds in the national forests were also.

Yeah. CCC was badically a parks version of WPA. I forgot about the distinction between the two. There was a utopian program at Dyess that built a 40-acre and a mule sort of community where Johnny Cash grew up. All were New Deal programs.

jgphillips3

1. The outcome of the great shootout.
2. The Stoernover

Honorable mention

3. Have the Hogs beat Texas in 1977
4. Hire Jimmy Johnson after Holtz

bphi11ips

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 12, 2018, 07:33:43 am
^^^^^

An Arkansas fan is an Arkansas fan.

Exactly! And it shouldn't matter where they live, what they look like, how old they are or how long the've been a fan.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 12, 2018, 07:30:54 am
Yeah. CCC was badically a parks version of WPA. I forgot about the distinction between the two. There was a utopian program at Dyess that built a 40-acre and a mule sort of community where Johnny Cash grew up. All were New Deal programs.

Both programs were disbanded when no longer needed because of WWII. However some former CCC places still operate under the direction of the Job Corps which was started by Sargent Shriver along with President Johnson and his "war on poverty". One of those places is Cass.

rzrbaxfan

The outcome of the 2006 SEC Championship Game

The outcome of the Sugar Bowl vs Ohio St

Steef

When you think of it, a lot of big games pivoted on one play.

Shootout...interception.
Miami...Atwater dropped pass.
Florida.... Fish fumble.
Ohio St....scoop/score (or Adams dropped TD pass)
Bama....fumble on the goal line (was that Williams? Cant remember)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Steef on January 12, 2018, 08:37:06 am

Shootout...interception.
Florida.... Fish fumble.

It is common for that to happen as well. A lot of games hinge on one play or a couple. I've always said that each game has about ten plays that makes the majority of the difference. A turnover, something on Special Teams, as simple as an overthrown ball or bad pass in the flat on third down creating a punting situation as happened in the NC game. A blown assignment allowing a WR to be wide open for a TD in OT which was also a good play by the QB to look off the safety, which also happened in the NC., etc. Unless one team is head and shoulders above the other the two things that in my mind stand out in the outcome are turnovers and penalties. Years ago I also though time of possession and field position was as important as those two but not as much anymore. I sill think to ability to run is important. That doesn't mean it has to be a grind it out type of running game.

oldhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 12, 2018, 06:54:47 am
Any new stadium is nice. WMS was at the time. It did not however have the same press box and it didn't have the end zones enclosed. But a lot of stadiums back then didn't.

I do recall that.

The_Iceman

1. Have Petrino tell the truth to Ling right away and never do that neckbrace press conference. Might have saved his job and might still be the coach here today.

2. I don't care that this isn't football, but hire Bill Self instead of Stan Heath. Think about what our basketball program would be right now. Another NC? How many more Final Fours?

PharmacistHog

Quote from: IronHog on January 11, 2018, 05:30:33 pm
1.  Put the campus in Arkansas

2.  Build a real stadium on said campus

Absolutely shocked you didn't build a wall around pine bluff to keep all the white folks from leaving.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

redleg

I would change a handful of past season results.
For example, the first game I would alter would be the 1969 Texas game, and give the Hogs a 17-15 victory...and then a win over Notre Dame in the 1970 Cotton Bowl. Then I'd change the outcome of the 1966 Cotton Bowl vs LSU to a 15-14 Hogs win, followed by a 16-13 win over Texas in 1977 and a W over Notre Dame in the "78 Cotton Bowl. Then a 17-13 victory over Houston in 1979 just before beating Nebraska in the 1980 Cotton Bowl.
Then I'd jump forward to 1985 and have Greg Horne hit one more FG to beat Texas 16-15, and I'd have Atwater tip that last pass vs Texas in 1987 so the Hogs could hold on for a 14-10 victory. Then in 1989, I'd give Arkansas a 27-24 W over Texas, and a 34-31 win over Tennessee in the 1990 Cotton Bowl. 1998 would see the Hogs hang on for a W vs Mississippi St, and then get revenge on Tennessee in the "98 SEC Championship Game, before beating FSU in the bowl.
The last three games I'd alter on my trek through time would be the 2007 Citrus Bowl (21-17 over Wisconsin instead of a 14-17 loss), followed by Arkansas scoring late vs Alabama in 2010 to beat the Tide 27-24 in Fayetteville, and then having Herndon scoop up that blocked punt in the 2011 Sugar Bowl and return it for a TD to beat Ohio St, 33-31.
If you're keeping track, that would mean the Arkansas Razorbacks would have 6 national championships in their history ("64, "65, "69, "77, "79, "89) instead of just 1, and an additional 4 conference championships.
It would also mean that the Hogs would have beaten Texas 5 years in a row, from 1985 - 1989, and 6 out of 7 seasons when you account for the 1991 victory.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

DeltaBoy

Flags would have been thrown again texas in 69 and Hogs win.
We got Tommy Tuberville instead of Nutt.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ThisTeetsTaken

Also, either Horton or Herndon not scooping and scoring that blocked punt against Ohio State. 

GringoHog

Quote from: MyBoyCanaan on January 12, 2018, 08:58:34 am
Bigger*

Definitely a boll weevil

Hey Hey! That poster has to have a Southern State education! Don't be insulting the Boll Weevils
"There are Lions, Tigers and Bears ,but there ain't but one Razorback!" - HDN The Great

oldhawg

Quote from: Steef on January 12, 2018, 08:37:06 am

Shootout...interception.
Florida.... Fish fumble.

For me the 1962 Arkansas vs #1 Texas game remains huge, won by Texas 7-3.  The pivotal play occurred in the fourth quarter with Arkansas leading 3-0 when Danny Brabham allegedly fumbled into the end zone, and Texas subsequently drives the length of the field for the winning score. 

Many accounts say that Brabham was well into the end zone when the ball came loose.  No instant replay, it was not even a televised game (only one or two college games a week on TV in those days), no recourse but to accept the on the field call by Texas based refs.

Had Arkansas won that game they would have finished the regular season undefeated at 10-0.   Since national champions were voted on before bowl games in those days, Arkansas could have claimed a share national championship with USC and Ole Miss, who also also finished the season at 10-0. 

Ole Miss subsequently beat Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl 17-13.

Not wishing for the "old days," but it was more fun when Arkansas football was relevant, as it has been from time to time, even as recently as Bobby Petrino.  That's what fuels my optimism.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on January 12, 2018, 08:09:11 am
The outcome of the 2006 SEC Championship Game

The outcome of the Sugar Bowl vs Ohio St

You change the first one the second never happens.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 12, 2018, 09:25:29 am
You change the first one the second never happens.
Have we won a big game since beating Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl?

Steef

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 12, 2018, 09:28:32 am
Have we won a big game since beating Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl?

We thumped Texas pretty good in the Texas Bowl.

Beat a highly ranked LSU team twice when we shouldn't.

And while it wasn't a BIG game....the Ole Miss lateral to Alex is etched in my memory forever.

bphi11ips

Quote from: oldhawg on January 12, 2018, 09:22:18 am
For me the 1962 Arkansas vs #1 Texas game remains huge, won by Texas 7-3.  The pivotal play occurred in the fourth quarter with Arkansas leading 3-0 when Danny Brabham allegedly fumbled into the end zone, and Texas subsequently drives the length of the field for the winning score. 

Many accounts say that Brabham was well into the end zone when the ball came loose.  No instant replay, it was not even a televised game (only one or two college games a week on TV in those days), no recourse but to accept the on the field call by Texas based refs.

Had Arkansas won that game they would have finished the regular season undefeated at 10-0.   Since national champions were voted on before bowl games in those days, Arkansas could have claimed a share national championship with USC and Ole Miss, who also also finished the season at 10-0. 

Ole Miss subsequently beat Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl 17-13.

Not wishing for the "old days," but it was more fun when Arkansas football was relevant, as it has been from time to time, even as recently as Bobby Petrino.  That's what fuels my optimism.

Another game that falls into the 62 Texas game category is the 1966 Cotton Bowl vs. LSU. If Jon Brittenum doesn't injure his shoulder with the Hogs leading 7-0 in the first half, Arkansas probably would have won its 23rd straight game and back-to-back NC's.

I hadn't thought about 1962, but if you add that year, we were one game away in 62 and 65 and one game from playing for a NC in 69.