Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike is Down but not Done

Started by Letsroll1200, January 11, 2018, 02:57:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Letsroll1200

That lost was the worse I've witnessed under the leadership of Mike Anderson. Your team, good or bad, is a reflection of you. This team is 1-3 in the conference but all is not lost. During this time last year, the same naysayers where loud and ready to run Mike off.
Let this season play out. This team is down but not done.

The main adjustment is putting Anton Beard on the bench along side Trey Thompson. Darius Hall does not demand shots and he's going to give maximum effort. There where times the 3 senior guards refused to pass the ball to one another.  Let's get back to playing together and playing with effort.

Hall
Cook
Macon
Barford
Gafford

hogsanity

Figures you put it that way " Mike is....... " because he is the 1st concern for you.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Beaverfever

I actually like Darious Hall.  He's not afraid to embarrass himself.  He'll play his ass off whether the shots or falling or he's playing poorly.  Too many guys disappear as soon as their shot isn't falling or they make a couple big mistakes.  I like his heart. 

Beaverfever

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 11, 2018, 02:57:51 pm
Trey Thompson.
Thompson always looks like he's just been traded from a team in a completely different conference and has no idea what his role on his new team is going to be.  He literally looks like he hasn't been practicing with the team.  Everyone else looks like they've been eating vegan and spent the offseason with the track team. 

elksnort

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2018, 03:50:45 pm
Figures you put it that way " Mike is....... " because he is the 1st concern for you.
Letsroll1200, as one who posts, reminds me of the father and son on Smokey and the Bandits. FCJ is the boss daddy and Letsroll1200 is role played by Artie Williams.

jchill

January 11, 2018, 04:35:01 pm #5 Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:56:38 pm by jchill
That lost was the worse I've witnessed under the leadership of Mike Anderson. Your team, good or bad, is a reflection of you. This team is 1-3 in the conference but all is not lost. During this time last year, the same naysayers where loud and ready to run Mike off.

The main adjustment is putting Anton Beard on the bench along side Trey Thompson. Darius Hall does not demand shots and he's going to give maximum effort. There where times the 3 senior guards refused to pass the ball to one another.  Let's get back to playing together and playing with effort.

Hall
Cook
Macon
Barford
Gafford

I noticed the lack of passing too. I hope there isn't internal strife among the players. This team is too talented to lose by 20 at home to LSU.

WMHawgfan

I don't think there is animosity between the players. Last night was just horrible from an effort standpoint. There was no off the ball movement, a lot standing instead of cutting and screening.

netteltonhog

So your saying Mike needs to start a freshman over a senior. LMAO!  I agree with your assessment but history says that ain't happening.

Kevin

problem is don't have enough bodies at guard, to have any competition.
hall, gafford, bailey play hard.  not enough of those guys
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

razorpimp

Barford and Macon are way too damn selfish!!! Offense should always run through Gafford every time!  This is on Mike, he should make them pass it to Gafford and if they don't sit their a$$es!

GuvHog

Hall
Cook
Macon
Barford
Gafford

The main problem with your post is last night was totally different from last year. Not 1 single time last year did the Hogs even come close to getting blown out by 20+ points in Bud Walton Arena.

You are right about Mike not being done because there are a lot of games left. After last night though, Mike really has his work cut out for him. There are some serious problems with that team and the opponents aren't going to get any easier.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

roothawg

I'm tired of wondering if the team will pick it up and finish strong every year. I want what we had under Sutton and Nolan, 30 yrs of strong bball. None of this no guarding crap. We should be in the tourney just about every year and making deep runs. Either it gets done or it gets changed just like football.

pigture perfect

Mike being down but not out, reminds me of eating bad oysters. I got them down and they made me wish they would hurry up and leave my body one way or another.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

razorpimp

I disagree....he's down and I'm afraid he's going to stay there!

This is not the crap SEC of his first 6 years!!!!!!  Just check out the coaching improvement by each team not named Ole Miss!

He may squeak into the tourney this year, but holy crap we will completely suck next year, WOW!

swineology

Mike will either be fired at seasons end or next year when he struggles to get 15 wins.

The fastest 40 has passed him by and he's too stubborn to change like Bert!

maxhog5

Quote from: elksnort on January 11, 2018, 04:30:03 pm
Letsroll1200, as one who posts, reminds me of the father and son on Smokey and the Bandits. FCJ is the boss daddy and Letsroll1200 is role played by Artie Williams.

Actually it is Paul Williams, but the comparison is outstanding. 

HogBreath

This has to be a really difficult time for you, bless your heart.  We all know how much you love CMA.

And you're right, we went thru some rough time last season too, these things have sort of been the norm.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: jchill on January 11, 2018, 04:35:01 pm

I noticed the lack of passing too. I hope there isn't internal strifde among the players. This team is too talented to lose by 20 at home to LSU.

There is some issues in the locker room. I can tell you that much.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: swineology on January 11, 2018, 05:47:11 pm
Mike will either be fired at seasons end or next year when he struggles to get 15 wins.

The fastest 40 has passed him by and he's too stubborn to change like Bert!

Mike is nothing like Bert. This is just a bump in the road. It's a long season but the Hogs will recover. Those guys must understand that the name on the front of the jersey matters.

swineology

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 11, 2018, 06:19:59 pm
Mike is nothing like Bert. This is just a bump in the road. It's a long season but the Hogs will recover. Those guys must understand that the name on the front of the jersey matters.

This is the issue. Mike isn't the Bear nor will ever be.
Players don't fear him or respect him.
Dusty and Manny covered up a multitude of sins last year. Who are the Manny's and Dusty's this year?

Paul

I'm sick of posters blaming the players every year.  They're not getting paid 2.5 million per year to perform their jobs.

Kevin

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 11, 2018, 06:16:59 pm

Not hard to see, if you look
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogfanny

Quote from: Kevin on January 11, 2018, 07:32:10 pm
Not hard to see, if you look
So what is it. or what Low on tp, someone on phone too much or what?

razorpimp

Coach brought them on....coach is supposed to fix them

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Paul on January 11, 2018, 07:27:41 pm
I'm sick of posters blaming the players every year.  They're not getting paid 2.5 million per year to perform their jobs.
How do play college basketball without players
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hoghappy

who's Bert? Don't you mean Bret Bielema?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: razorpimp on January 11, 2018, 09:02:46 pm
Coach brought them on....coach is supposed to fix them

It's getting fixed...

HognitiveDissonance

Hall
Cook
Macon
Barford
Gafford
I agree all is not lost, yet.
Why? Because unfortunately we were at this same juncture last year. Struggling early.
Horrible 3-game losing streak: Ok St road, last-place Mizzou road, Vandy home.
The team looked just as bad in that stretch as they do now. We all know how that team finished the year.

Now...horrible 3-game losing streak: Miss St road, Auburn road, LSU home. Two were blowouts. Effort is non-existent.
We don't know how this story will turn out.

The problem I see is this: let's assume for sake of assuming that this Hog team finishes similarly as last year and actually makes the NCAA. Will people be happy?

Overall, I think many will be happy the ship was righted and a tournament berth was secured, but I also think deep down most will know that there is something missing and all is not right. If they didn't already know that, they will now. They will know another 'funk' is just around the corner, and they will know that this program will always have these WHAT THE **** WAS THAT? moments, that could arise at any time. It's just unacceptable, and it's poor leadership from coaches and players both to allow it to repeatedly happen.

I find it hard, personally, to get 100% excited about even the good times under this program for the above reasons. There is just not enough consistency to keep me fully engaged. I admit overall it hasn't been bad at all, and there are times of genuine excitement. But I can't sustain it. I know we are not elite in any way, because we can't avoid these head-scratching games and stretches, that cost us wins, possible tourney berths and/or seeding, which all affect how far you go. It all ties together.

southeasthog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 11, 2018, 09:45:06 pm
It's getting fixed...

Maybe it should have got fixed before getting embarrassed at home but........

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 06, 2018, 06:01:17 pm
Keep Watching

Little Lady Back

Hall
Cook
Macon
Barford
Gafford

Logical and good post which is refreshing to see on here.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

MountieDawg

Who prefers to yell at the refs for bad calls more than yelling at the players for bad play.... Answer: Both

Who in 5 years did just enough to get by and has never got over the hump.... Answer:  Both

Who always says, we are so close and almost there to being really good....  Answer:  Both

Who promised to bring the program back to greatness and failed...  Answer:  Both

Who gets paid like a Top 25 coach and has spent very little time at Arkansas in the Top 25: Answer: Both

Who get Forrest City Joe's love... Answer:  Mike, they are not alike there

Who do Banner Mountain and Letsroll believe is a great coach and will get the Hogs to the promise land: Answer: Mike

I for one did not expect a lot this year and was impressed with the play early on, but the last few games have been hard to watch.   Still believe they can beat alot of good teams but will have to rely on out hustling, staying freash and keeping their legs.... I believe those guards are wearing down with all the mintues and dont have the legs they had early in the season.  Mike's style of coach is what it is and wont change, but to be successful they have to play 40 percent harder than their opponent with that style.
SEC!

tophawg19

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 11, 2018, 09:06:45 pm
How do play college basketball without players
Whose fault is it when you don't have good players ? whose fault is it when the players lack discipline and can't run a simple motion offense . whose fault is it when the defense allows coast to coast dribble penetration, time after time . they don't even try stopping the drive from the point guard
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Davidr295

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 11, 2018, 11:39:06 pm
I agree all is not lost, yet.
Why? Because unfortunately we were at this same juncture last year. Struggling early.
Horrible 3-game losing streak: Ok St road, last-place Mizzou road, Vandy home.
The team looked just as bad in that stretch as they do now. We all know how that team finished the year.

Now...horrible 3-game losing streak: Miss St road, Auburn road, LSU home. Two were blowouts. Effort is non-existent.
We don't know how this story will turn out.

The problem I see is this: let's assume for sake of assuming that this Hog team finishes similarly as last year and actually makes the NCAA. Will people be happy?

Overall, I think many will be happy the ship was righted and a tournament berth was secured, but I also think deep down most will know that there is something missing and all is not right. If they didn't already know that, they will now. They will know another 'funk' is just around the corner, and they will know that this program will always have these WHAT THE **** WAS THAT? moments, that could arise at any time. It's just unacceptable, and it's poor leadership from coaches and players both to allow it to repeatedly happen.

I find it hard, personally, to get 100% excited about even the good times under this program for the above reasons. There is just not enough consistency to keep me fully engaged. I admit overall it hasn't been bad at all, and there are times of genuine excitement. But I can't sustain it. I know we are not elite in any way, because we can't avoid these head-scratching games and stretches, that cost us wins, possible tourney berths and/or seeding, which all affect how far you go. It all ties together.

The difference this year is that the league is 100% better than last year. After Saturday 4 of our next 5 conference games are on the road. We could be 3-7 in conference play going into the south carolina game. Thats assuming we win our home games.

Peter Porker

Hall
Cook
Macon
Barford
Gafford

Everyone knows why you and FCJ want Mike to succeed and it has nothing to do with Razorback basketball.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hogsanity

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 12, 2018, 11:13:39 am
Everyone knows why you and FCJ want Mike to succeed and it has nothing to do with Razorback basketball.

they do not even carer if he succeeds, they just want him to keep his job. FCJ has said so, he'd still back Mike if his team went 0-30.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Go Hogs and get to winning.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

steveaustin69

Quote from: razorpimp on January 11, 2018, 05:04:11 pm
Barford and Macon are way too damn selfish!!! Offense should always run through Gafford every time!  This is on Mike, he should make them pass it to Gafford and if they don't sit their a$$es!

Gafford is best as a rim diving big in a PnR which, ya know, requires a dynamic guard.

steveaustin69

Sources?

cram224

Quote from: Davidr295 on January 12, 2018, 11:12:38 am
The difference this year is that the league is 100% better than last year. After Saturday 4 of our next 5 conference games are on the road. We could be 3-7 in conference play going into the south carolina game. Thats assuming we win our home games.
So the league is 100% better. How much better is Ark? Ark has improved very little in the last 7 years. You could also add in the CSH and CJP years. Mike Anderson's best year was when the SEC was at its worse. It is what it is. The problem we have now is a coach that maybe is going to be hard to fire and I pretty sure that JL knew that.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: cram224 on January 12, 2018, 12:06:42 pm
So the league is 100% better. How much better is Ark? Ark has improved very little in the last 7 years. You could also add in the CSH and CJP years. Mike Anderson's best year was when the SEC was at its worse. It is what it is. The problem we have now is a coach that maybe is going to be hard to fire and I pretty sure that JL knew that.

This one wasn't Jeff Long's fault.  Any AD Arkansas had would have hired Mike.  His resume was more than good enough, he wanted the job and a large vocal group of our supporters had been demanding it for years.  The Mizzou E8 made it inevitable no matter who our AD was.  And our GOBN tried doing this similar thing again by hiring Malzahn although he wouldn't have had quite the rabid support. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 12, 2018, 12:10:39 pm
This one wasn't Jeff Long's fault.  Any AD Arkansas had would have hired Mike.  His resume was more than good enough, he wanted the job and a large vocal group of our supporters had been demanding it for years.  The Mizzou E8 made it inevitable no matter who our AD was.  And our GOBN tried doing this similar thing again by hiring Malzahn although he wouldn't have had quite the rabid support.

Agreed. Blaming Long for making a solid and welcomed hire in Anderson is grasping at straws.

hogsanity

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 12, 2018, 12:12:37 pm
Agreed. Blaming Long for making a solid and welcomed hire in Anderson is grasping at straws.

Well they wont blame Mike, for anything. It is always either the players or the AD or the fans or the refs or the AAU coaches or the ncaa or the sec or espn.

When the football team did not perform well, it had to be because of the coaching they were getting. If the basketball team does not play well it is because of locker room turmoil, or selfish players or whatever, never any mention of any of it being the coach's fault.

Davidr295

I'm agreeing with you. Just pointing out to the people that keep saying it's going to turn out just like last year and everything will be ok are wrong. Don't see how we recover from a 3-7 start in conference play

hogsanity

Look, they can still have a very solid year, but the book on how to beat them is out now, and unlike last season, there are many teams in the SEC equipped to carry out the plan.

Letsroll1200

If the SEC is better than it's a good sign for Arkansas. The internal things have shown up on the court. I'm for one looking forward to some players graduating because it's going to make for a better program. This season the Razorbacks will recover starting with Mizzou on Saturday. They have put themselves in a tough situation because some people just can't handle success. Macon is missing free throws, Dailed in.

Any conversation about firing Mike is crazy. We have one of the best, as a head coach in the SEC. Auburn can enjoy all the success they want this year, next season they're going to have to vacate a lot of wins. There is a lot of funny business going on with a few schools in the SEC. Texas A&M is the most talented team in the SEC and they are 0-4.

We need Daryl Macon on the defensive end of the floor. Right now I call him, Aryl Macon because he hasn't brought the D all season.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2018, 01:12:33 pm
Look, they can still have a very solid year, but the book on how to beat them is out now, and unlike last season, there are many teams in the SEC equipped to carry out the plan.

Starting Feb 3, 2018 Arkansas is going to go on a run.

Feb 3 At LSU
Feb 6 South Carolina
Feb 10 Vandy
Feb 13 At Ole Miss
Feb 17 Texas A&M
Feb 20 Kentucky

This stretch of games is going to determine where the Hogs will be seeded. They will make the tournament, I'm not concerned about that. Arkansas can beat every team in the SEC.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 12, 2018, 12:12:37 pm
Mike Anderson is who I thought he was way back in 2011.
After seven years of evidence, my opinion hasn't changed one iota.
His resume in 2011 suggested he was a good coach, but not great. He had a good run at UAB, and a good run at Mizzou.
He's had a good run here.
Any impartial observer would look at his career record and describe him as a good coach. Definitely would describe as a great man.

It all gets back to what your goals are.
If you aspire to be 'pretty good', MA is your guy. You can be 100% happy.
If you dream big like me and pine for a return to the days of 1975-1995, then you likely will be never be totally happy. I know we can do better.

This is why in 2011 I wasn't opposed to MA's hiring, but I wasn't very excited either. I didn't see greatness, I didn't see glory days ahead. Lukewarm is the best description.

razorpimp

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2018, 02:08:05 pm
If the SEC is better than it's a good sign for Arkansas. The internal things have shown up on the court. I'm for one looking forward to some players graduating because it's going to make for a better program. This season the Razorbacks will recover starting with Mizzou on Saturday. They have put themselves in a tough situation because some people just can't handle success. Macon is missing free throws, Dailed in.

Any conversation about firing Mike is crazy. We have one of the best, as a head coach in the SEC. Auburn can enjoy all the success they want this year, next season they're going to have to vacate a lot of wins. There is a lot of funny business going on with a few schools in the SEC. Texas A&M is the most talented team in the SEC and they are 0-4.

We need Daryl Macon on the defensive end of the floor. Right now I call him, Aryl Macon because he hasn't brought the D all season.

We will see if Auburn has to vacate wins....right now Pearl is rolling, he's dirty, but you are only as dirty as what gets you caught....and you can't compare the Hog situation to A&M.  They have major injuries to their star players, we've only lost one 3* freshman guard who would be playing very limited minutes.

razorpimp

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2018, 02:15:26 pm
Starting Feb 3, 2018 Arkansas is going to go on a run.

Feb 3 At LSU
Feb 6 South Carolina
Feb 10 Vandy
Feb 13 At Ole Miss
Feb 17 Texas A&M
Feb 20 Kentucky

This stretch of games is going to determine where the Hogs will be seeded. They will make the tournament, I'm not concerned about that. Arkansas can beat every team in the SEC.

I just don't see it just like hogsanity said the book on how to best this team is out!  It's up to Mike to change his strategy to start winning again....I don't think he will do it until his back is up against the wall....will that be too late?

elksnort

Quote from: maxhog5 on January 11, 2018, 05:53:50 pm
Actually it is Paul Williams, but the comparison is outstanding. 
Thanks for the correction and for knowing what I meant.