Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Irwin on Bo Mattingly Show

Started by Rbill, January 12, 2018, 07:45:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbill

Today I caught the end of Mike Irwin talking about the basketball team and he said Mike Anderson has some problems to solve. Nothing we aren't aware of, but I always find it interesting when the media starts to publicly say these things too. He said our 3 guards are all shooting guards who just look to get their own points and they don't facilitate. He said Gafford needs the ball and he's not getting it, because all our guards do is dribble until they find an opening for their shot. Finished by saying Mike has problems to solve.

Solve it Mike. Tell them to give Gafford the ball. That should be who we are.

rzrbackramsfan

I wouldn't read too much into it, like the media's turning against him.  Mike Irwin has always been kind of negative and pessimistic towards Mike Anderson from my perspective.  H epribably just doesn't like the style of basketball.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Rbill on January 12, 2018, 07:45:28 pm
Today I caught the end of Mike Irwin talking about the basketball team and he said Mike Anderson has some problems to solve. Nothing we aren't aware of, but I always find it interesting when the media starts to publicly say these things too. He said our 3 guards are all shooting guards who just look to get their own points and they don't facilitate. He said Gafford needs the ball and he's not getting it, because all our guards do is dribble until they find an opening for their shot. Finished by saying Mike has problems to solve.

Solve it Mike. Tell them to give Gafford the ball. That should be who we are.
Exactly.

How could anyone not know that Gafford needs to be fed the ball an average of once or twice on every half court possession?

Plus, move without the ball on offense and move your damn feet to play defense. 

Why pay millions to teach what is not being taught?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Letsroll1200

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 12, 2018, 07:56:14 pm
Exactly.

How could anyone not know that Gafford needs to be fed the ball an average of once or twice on every half court possession?

Plus, move without the ball on offense and move your damn feet to play defense. 

Why pay millions to teach what is not being taught?

Gafford wasn't fed the ball in High School. Let him develop a solid low post game.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 12, 2018, 07:52:16 pm
I wouldn't read too much into it, like the media's turning against him.  Mike Irwin has always been kind of negative and pessimistic towards Mike Anderson from my perspective.  H epribably just doesn't like the style of basketball.

You mean average to losing style of basketball?  I'm not real fond of that style either.

TheRazorback500

Facilitate = set up. We're not setting each other up for shots. We shoot better when we catch and shoot (at least one pass; it establishes kind of a mini rhythm), than we do off the dribble. Playing one on one like we did at times against LSU makes for lousy shooting percentages. Watch a top team run their offense and notice how rhythmic and fluid it is. I saw some of that in the non conference. CMA needs to find a way to get it back.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

latrops

While I agree that Gafford needs more looks, I think some are overestimating his offensive ability.  He is a great athlete with tremendous potential...but he has limitations at this point.  He needs to be established as a threat to draw attention from opposing defenses, freeing up space for our more polished scorers.  He needs to be more involved, but I wouldn't necessarily say our offense should run through him.

jkstock04

There is some internal frustration and attitude problems going on with the team right now. I think they may have let some of that early success go to their heads.

The other night Gafford was visibly frustrated with not getting the ball...to the point of frustration and then on to a "well F it then" attitude. During timeouts Thompson was standing off to the side not paying attention. At one point I literally saw Macon roll his eyes at something Anderson said to him.

This team now has the look of having internal problems...that's something that may be hard to overcome....not good.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

netteltonhog

It's not just about feeding Gafford, it's about feeding anyone. You have to pass the ball or be able to make your shot. We don't do either.

cjack

I think Gafford is the best player on our roster and I was overly excited about him at the start of the season.  As I've watched, though, he needs a lot of work.  He does not post up well. He has no mid range shot like Portis, and he is terrible shooting free throws.  All that adds up to him not being ready to be the offensive focus.  He runs the floor as well as any big guy in college and is a force defensively (until he gets in foul trouble).  Once he develops the offensive game, he will be a star.

The offense still runs through Barford and Macon.  When they are cold, they start forcing more bad shots, especially Barford. 

I think we need a good set shooter off the bench to kick it out to when driving isn't working. We don't have that, yet
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Rbill

Quote from: latrops on January 12, 2018, 09:47:15 pm
  He needs to be established as a threat to draw attention from opposing defenses, freeing up space for our more polished scorers.  He needs to be more involved, but I wouldn't necessarily say our offense should run through him.

Actually that's exactly what I mean by having the offense run through him - exactly what you described. He can kick it back out half the time. Macon and Barford should still get their points this way, but we should entertain the post most trips down the floor to make it a legitimate threat. Put the ball in his hands anywhere near the rim and he's close to 70% fg for crying out loud.

TexArkHogFan

Starting out 3-19 and nobody could hit the broad side of a barn against LSU tells me something ain't right.  Throw in a couple of air balls on 3 point shots.  Hell they couldn't even hit free throws.  He needs to yank the entire starting five for a couple of minutes and rearrange their thought process. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

ballz2thewall

read anything into it?.........

The rest of the frog.

RealHog

A Jabril Durham or Ky Madden on this team would help a lot. Really need a true PG.

jcul28

I love this style of basketball at all levels. I don't like JB, DM and AB on the court together. You have to have someone be the one to dish the ball. Beard should come off the bench and give that 2nd wave some spark. Also, it may give JB and DM some extra rest. I wouldn't be opposed to start Jones for a game or two just to try to spark some confidence in himself.

GuvHog

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on January 12, 2018, 09:23:01 pm
Facilitate = set up. We're not setting each other up for shots. We shoot better when we catch and shoot (at least one pass; it establishes kind of a mini rhythm), than we do off the dribble. Playing one on one like we did at times against LSU makes for lousy shooting percentages. Watch a top team run their offense and notice how rhythmic and fluid it is. I saw some of that in the non conference. CMA needs to find a way to get it back.

Mike has his work cut out for him. These players grew up as kids playing "Street Ball" and they still have that mentality. Instead of the guards looking for the open man when they drive and playing "team oriented" basketball, they are going one on one and trying to beat their man to the basket or create their own shot.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: RealHog on January 13, 2018, 09:40:23 am
A Jabril Durham or Ky Madden on this team would help a lot. Really need a true PG.
I've said for going on 20 years now that we need a Kareem Reid type guard. Maybe there aren't any out there. But to have a shorter, quicker guard willing to run the offense and bring the ball up the court is exactly what we didn't have against LSU the other night. But guess who did have one of those guards ? LSU. And they beat what I thought was a very good Arkansas team like a 'rented mule'.

Also, I get the feeling there are some problems within the team related to chemistry. Some just flat-out don't like others and it's beginning to show. No Arkansas team should lose to that LSU team, much less get blown out by LSU. That loss right there is going to cost us big if we make the NCAA tournament. The best we can expect if we do make the NCAA after that LSU loss is an 8,9,10 or above seed. We blew our chances at getting a reasonable seed and there's no getting it back. Not after the LSU beat down at Fayetteville.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

urkillnmesmalls

All valid points in this thread.  For the life of me, what I don't understand is WHY Mike doesn't take more steps toward forcing ball movement, and insisting that guys front the ball and MOVE their feet to stop the dribbler.  It's confounding to me. 

"YOU HOLD THE BALL and dribble more than 3 seconds, you're on the bench.  You don't move without the ball...you're on the bench."  It's simple...MAKE them pass the ball instead of dribbling it incessantly. 

"You allow someone to blow right by on defense and don't move your feet...you're on the bench."

I don't see what's so tough about that.  It won't fix the ill advised trapping and allowing open 3's from the perimeter, or help our defensive rebounding...but it would at least get us back to only having two weaknesses to overcome.   :( 

For those not paying attention closely, WATCH HOW WE PLAY toward the end of the game when they realize..."Oops, we might lose."  Their defensive intensity ratchets up to where it should be the ENTIRE game. 

I know, I know...we don't have guys playing well enough to have the depth needed to play Mike's style of ball.  Well....then how is the other team managing it with less bench minutes and scoring?  Are we just out of shape?  How exactly does that work when we're getting beat down the court by LSU? 

I thought we were good.  I'll admit it.  I thought some of the younger guys would step up, and we had crested the mountain toward getting back to playing HARD the entire game, and that we had a team that could employ Mike's style and have it work.  Now...I have serious doubts, unless they start to play as a team and MOVE the ball and MOVE their feet on defense. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 13, 2018, 01:26:12 pm
I've said for going on 20 years now that we need a Kareem Reid type guard. Maybe there aren't any out there. But to have a shorter, quicker guard willing to run the offense and bring the ball up the court is exactly what we didn't have against LSU the other night. But guess who did have one of those guards ? LSU. And they beat what I thought was a very good Arkansas team like a 'rented mule'.

Also, I get the feeling there are some problems within the team related to chemistry. Some just flat-out don't like others and it's beginning to show. No Arkansas team should lose to that LSU team, much less get blown out by LSU. That loss right there is going to cost us big if we make the NCAA tournament. The best we can expect if we do make the NCAA after that LSU loss is an 8,9,10 or above seed. We blew our chances at getting a reasonable seed and there's no getting it back. Not after the LSU beat down at Fayetteville.

Totally agree on the PG issue.  Look at almost ANY of the recent NCAA champions, or the teams that are successful in the tournament, and they have a true PG that is quick as a whistle, and can run things and make sure the offense keeps active.  Get one that can dribble penetrate and be a threat to shoot...and you're miles ahead.  Mike hasn't had that...and it's hard to understand why. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hog47

Are you kidding? I like coach Anderson but he's no Nolan and his style is just limited. With the talent we have we shouldn't be getting blown out like we have. We have major problem that CA can't fix. If we get blown out today, start looking for the powers to be to start looking for a replacement.

Hogvillage Idiot

Mike needs to put on his butt kickin' boots or find someone on his staff to do it for him.  He was always the good cop to Nolan's bad cop and he hasn't quite adjusted to that.  These guys need someone to hold them accountable.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Hogvillage Idiot on January 13, 2018, 02:03:56 pm
Mike needs to put on his butt kickin' boots or find someone on his staff to do it for him.  He was always the good cop to Nolan's bad cop and he hasn't quite adjusted to that.  These guys need someone to hold them accountable.

It's been 17 or 18 years since he sat on the bench with NR.  At what point can we expect him to adjust?

riccoar

So if your players fail to execute YOUR game plan, and simply shrug it off and you allow them to continue, who's fault is that?  The Head Coaches.

tennesseehogwild

Quote from: Kevin on January 12, 2018, 08:04:20 pm
The guards do not throw it to him

What do you think about putting Thompson in with him and running Trey at the high post. He is a good passer and I think is playing better of late? Thoughts?

idochog

Mike has no answers. Just "play harder" coachspeak
I love Jesus!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 12, 2018, 08:04:25 pm
Gafford wasn't fed the ball in High School. Let him develop a solid low post game.
silly ass comment
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jst01

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on January 13, 2018, 03:28:30 pm
What do you think about putting Thompson in with him and running Trey at the high post. He is a good passer and I think is playing better of late? Thoughts?

Terrible idea. He would get exposed on D. He can't run the floor.

tennesseehogwild

Quote from: jst01 on January 13, 2018, 04:14:22 pm
Terrible idea. He would get exposed on D. He can't run the floor.

LOL Everyone has been exposed on defense of late. Just a thought. Last year he and Kingsley were in game together a great deal when we were playing good down the stretch.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: latrops on January 12, 2018, 09:47:15 pm
While I agree that Gafford needs more looks, I think some are overestimating his offensive ability.  He is a great athlete with tremendous potential...but he has limitations at this point.  He needs to be established as a threat to draw attention from opposing defenses, freeing up space for our more polished scorers.  He needs to be more involved, but I wouldn't necessarily say our offense should run through him.

He doesn't always have to score when he gets a post touch. He often draws a double team and has shown a nice ability to find an open shooter.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 13, 2018, 01:26:12 pm

Someone like Justice Hill (LR Christian) would be a perfect PG for this team
I love off season Football!!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: riccoar on January 13, 2018, 02:24:02 pm
So if your players fail to execute YOUR game plan, and simply shrug it off and you allow them to continue, who's fault is that?  The Head Coaches.

Are you sure Mike has a game plan?  I think he just want hustle and give  effort.  I am not sure he has an actual offense!   Defense is reach, grab and gamble. Not how I was taught to play defense. We were coached to keep our man out of the lane and Force bad shots.