Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Outdated philosophy?

Started by Applebottomjeans, January 11, 2018, 12:57:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Applebottomjeans

Admittedly I haven't paid much attention to Hog basketball much over the past few years because we've sucked.  But I LOVE college basketball.  Anyhoo, I think I understand part of the problem...help me break it down.

I'm paraphrasing and likely getting it wrong but Years ago before we hired MA my dad told me Mike A would not win here because Nolan's style of play is outdated.  Was he referring to the constant full court press? 

Does #fastest40 = full court press ?

hobhog

Half the teams in the country play our style of basketball in some shape or form. Most just do it a lot better. It's not unique anymore.

Hogimus Prime

If MA had the McDonald AA and the talent Nolan had MA would've made deep NCAA runs by now.  MA's style is not outdated.

latrops

It is more poor execution and pieces that are a poor fit than it is overall philosophy.  Nothing wrong with pressing or playing up tempo, but personnel and the ability to adjust are important.

Applebottomjeans

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hog Fan...DOH!

You know what happened last night?  The team played like crap.  How is that for philosophy?

99toLife

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 11, 2018, 02:10:20 pm
If MA had the McDonald AA and the talent Nolan had MA would've made deep NCAA runs by now.  MA's style is not outdated.

If that's what you believe and Mike can't get those players yet tries to run his team as if he had them what does that tell you.

After a year of trying to teach his cats to fetch with no success, who's dumber the cats or the guy that spent the last year trying to teach the cats to fetch.  Now if he had recruited dogs, odds are he would have had better success.

alaskanstorm

In my opinion it is not outdated.  Step back-fade away perimeter and 3 point shooting has always been low percentage shoots. That is what we settled for last night.

Paul

Quote from: latrops on January 11, 2018, 02:11:02 pm
It is more poor execution and pieces that are a poor fit than it is overall philosophy.  Nothing wrong with pressing or playing up tempo, but personnel and the ability to adjust are important.
Even if this were true(& i don't think it is), if he can't get his personnel in his 7th year,what makes you think he is ever capable of doing that?

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Paul on January 11, 2018, 07:38:34 pm
Even if this were true(& i don't think it is), if he can't get his personnel in his 7th year,what makes you think he is ever capable of doing that?

I don't think he ever will get the right personnel. His rosters have either been too many guards under 6'3" or like this year not enough guards or bigs and too many combo 4's that can't contribute consistently.  Next year's roster is looking the same way.  It'll be closer with several 6'5-6'7" wings/forwards/guards but will be very thin behind Gafford, if he returns.  For the uptempo to work you need a couple rim protectors. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on January 11, 2018, 02:44:19 pm
don't tell huggins this

Huggins CAN ACTUALLY COACH OTHER WAYS. They beat Baylor the other night while only scoring 57 pts.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Applebottomjeans on January 11, 2018, 12:57:43 pm
Admittedly I haven't paid much attention to Hog basketball much over the past few years because we've sucked.  But I LOVE college basketball.  Anyhoo, I think I understand part of the problem...help me break it down.

I'm paraphrasing and likely getting it wrong but Years ago before we hired MA my dad told me Mike A would not win here because Nolan's style of play is outdated.  Was he referring to the constant full court press? 

Does #fastest40 = full court press ?
I don't believe in styles as much as I believe in people.
The style can still work.
What's missing is a consistent level of effort.
When you have games like Houston and LSU...that has nothing to do with style or personnel. That has everything to do with getting off the bus and playing. The effort simply wasn't there.
The coach has to strike the Fear of God in these guys that they will 'bring it' every night.
Granted, you can't win every game, but you can 'bring it' and go down swinging.
The problem is the coach doesn't instill that fear and respect so the players basically play when they want to play.
You would think with six seniors even if they got no leadership or motivation whatsoever from the coach that they would still 'lead' and play hard, but that's not the case, obviously.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: hobhog on January 11, 2018, 01:51:44 pm
Half the teams in the country play our style of basketball in some shape or form. Most just do it a lot better. It's not unique anymore.

There was a time... I remember Nolan saying—after our NCAA win over Loyola Marymount in 1989, 120-101—I've just seen basketball in the 23rd century.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

JenksHawg

Quote from: alaskanstorm on January 11, 2018, 04:08:49 pm
In my opinion it is not outdated.  Step back-fade away perimeter and 3 point shooting has always been low percentage shoots. That is what we settled for last night.

Watch any NBA games lately? Those that have successfully adapted to the 3 point game are all dominating

Nickle-Pig

Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

LumberBacks

It's like running the flexbone on the hardwood.  Streetball may work with superior athletes.  We have good but not superior athletes.  Successful over less talented teams.  Unsuccessful over similar talent and better coached teams.  MA is just not a technician.  He's not a strategist.  He seems to be a person of character who is not going to embarrass the university with his words or actions.  But he's not going to be a highly successful collegiate coach in the SEC.

mutt

poor decision making lack effort poor defense no press sounds like poor coaching

hogsanity

The problems are so many teams play at a faster pace now. So many teams have good ball handlers even at the 4 spot. That so many teams have 3 or 4 guys that can knock down 3's. And with the 30 second shot clock teams are used to taking quick shots.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

alaskanstorm

Quote from: JenksHawg on January 12, 2018, 02:21:31 am
Watch any NBA games lately? Those that have successfully adapted to the 3 point game are all dominating

Usually watch the finals.  I find the lack of defense boring.   The fact is Larry Bird or Derk nawenski are not Suiting up for us on a nightly basis. Fade away  off balance perimeter shooting always will be the lowest percentage shoots that can be taken.  What kept us in games Like these last year was Dusty's ability to drive to the basket initiate contact and get to the line, keeping the score manageable and not out of hand.  It is basketball Smarts/IQ whatever you want to call it.  And With the athletes and guards we have this should be a non issue.

razorpimp

Quote from: Kevin on January 11, 2018, 02:44:19 pm
don't tell huggins this

Yea don't tell the #3 team in the nation!  We will never be there with mediocre Mike!

Hello another 7/8 seed