Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's a ball handler game now

Started by hogsanity, January 11, 2018, 10:42:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

When Nolan was doing what he and Tark and a couple others were doing with running and pressure, it was a pass the ball game. Most teams hand a primary ball handler in their PG and the rest were so so with the ball at best. That is why pressure worked so well. If you could make a teams 3,4 or 5 handle the ball alot, you could get lots of steals on bad passes, lots of tipped balls, lots of thrown away balls. If a 4 or 5 had to come get the ball, you could literally see the fear in his eyes. And you'd see teams with 20, 25 to's in a game.

Now, however, even many bigs can handle the ball, teams use 3 guard lineups alot, and a good dribbler can just keep control of the game. We saw that last night, the guard from LSU would just dribble, beat his man, then dish for a layup/dunk. And if he did have to give it up, there was no panic if a big had to come out and get the ball.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dillon23

I have argued that when they starting allowing players to "carry" the ball that it ended the pressure defense game.  It's hard to steal the ball when players can change direction and palm the ball.  Go back and watch a 80's or 90's game and it will shock you how lax the rules have become. 

Kevin

you cannot guard a good ball handler in todays game
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: Dillon23 on January 11, 2018, 11:58:50 am
I have argued that when they starting allowing players to "carry" the ball that it ended the pressure defense game.  It's hard to steal the ball when players can change direction and palm the ball.  Go back and watch a 80's or 90's game and it will shock you how lax the rules have become. 

Maybe, or it could be that defenders are not allowed to ride a ball handler to the sideline or into a trap any more. Mayberry, Beck and McDaniel were great at doing that ( as were players on other teams too ).

It is a point of emphasis this year, at least in HS, if you freeze a defender by carrying, it is SUPPOSED to be a turnover.

But yes, had I tried dribbling when I played, like they do today, my coach would have had none of that. Again though, anything to help the offense.

That said though, with they way Macon carries the ball all the time, do you really want it called tightly?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MountainHomeHogger

Its a simple fix, that I dont see happening!  Its called Dribble, Drive, and penetrate!  Get to the line, spread the court, and pass the DAMN ball!! I'm tired of this 1 on 5 BS!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: MountainHomeHogger on January 11, 2018, 12:30:00 pm
Its a simple fix, that I dont see happening!  Its called Dribble, Drive, and penetrate!  Get to the line, spread the court, and pass the DAMN ball!! I'm tired of this 1 on 5 BS!!

Yep. Too bad Mike Anderson isn't catching up with the times.

jdlew

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2018, 10:42:51 am
When Nolan was doing what he and Tark and a couple others were doing with running and pressure, it was a pass the ball game. Most teams hand a primary ball handler in their PG and the rest were so so with the ball at best. That is why pressure worked so well. If you could make a teams 3,4 or 5 handle the ball alot, you could get lots of steals on bad passes, lots of tipped balls, lots of thrown away balls. If a 4 or 5 had to come get the ball, you could literally see the fear in his eyes. And you'd see teams with 20, 25 to's in a game.

Now, however, even many bigs can handle the ball, teams use 3 guard lineups alot, and a good dribbler can just keep control of the game. We saw that last night, the guard from LSU would just dribble, beat his man, then dish for a layup/dunk. And if he did have to give it up, there was no panic if a big had to come out and get the ball.

I also have said this for years....It was even working against us before Nolan's exit..

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on January 11, 2018, 12:01:47 pm
you cannot guard a good ball handler in todays game

then the Hogs must not have good ball handlers, cause they are easy to guard.

Now, what you can't do in today's game, unless you are extremely quick, is get up in their chest and not get beaten. Have to stay off a little, play defense with your feet.